PDA

View Full Version : Hoosier hello

shaman
07-15-2008, 17:47
Hello all.

I have been reading some of the great information here for a while and decided it was time to join the discussion.

I am fairly new to drinking bourbon (at least anything that does not have red wax on the neck of the bottle).

I just finished a bottle of 1792 which I enjoyed very much. It seemed a very good bourbon especially for the summer. I am looking for another summer bottle to try now. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help in my next selection.

Paul

chilidawg7
07-15-2008, 18:16
Welcome Paul! Like many folks here, sounds like Maker's got you started and now you're on your way to trying a few new products. You came to the right place! This group is helpful and will gladly offer up suggestions.

I have not tried 1792 myself, but would recommend a few products.

One is Old Granddad 114, known here as OGD 114. It's a bit more powerful than the others at 114 proof, but it is one of my favorites. It is readily available at most stores and is reasonably priced (usually under $25.)

Another good one is WL Weller Centennial. A bit more expensive, but usually gets good reviews by myself and others.

You may also want to check out this thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9928&highlight=should+buy) as it offers up some good advice for a relatively new bourbon drinker.

NeoTexan
07-15-2008, 18:25
Welcome from another Indy bourbon guy. There are a few others from the board from Indy. I am looking to move to better digs and am planning a get together (to partially pay back for all the kind invitations from others) once we get settled. May still be a few months, so in the mean time ..... there are always a few nice places to meet and have a wee dram.

smokinjoe
07-15-2008, 19:01
Hoosier Daddy?!?!?!?! :cool:

Welcome aboard, Paul. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here. For sure, you've got great neighbors in Bourbonia, in the Indy area.

Try some Buffalo Trace. It's good every season.

I look forward to your contributions on the boards! Double entendre intended, with the basketball reference...:D

Cheers!

JOE

fishnbowljoe
07-15-2008, 21:57
Welcome Paul, Born and raised in Indy, now in Illinois. Yes, you do have some good neighbors down there. I can suggest a few bourbons for you to try. Eagle Rare 10/90, Elmer T Lee, or any of the Weller line. I haven't had the Centennial, but I have had the Special Reserve, Antique 107 and Weller 12 yr old, and they are all fine bourbons. Let us know how it's going and what you decide. Hope you have a good one, Joe (the other one):skep:

spun_cookie
07-15-2008, 22:40
Hi-D-Hi, Hi-D-Hey...... good to see soem new blood...

shaman
07-16-2008, 17:06
Thank you for the suggestions and the welcome. I will let you guys know what I decide. I am honestly not too sure what all is available here locally. I have been a creature of habit for far to long. I may come back with more questions once I see what the selection is around here...

Thanks again

fishnbowljoe
07-16-2008, 17:45
Paul, Just keep checking the boards/threads. From what I can tell Indy's not too bad a place for finding bourbon. Of course you could take a road trip to Chicago and check out a Binny's.:grin: I did. It's worth it. Joe

Josh
07-17-2008, 08:56
Welcome Shaman! Like many people I'm from Indiana, but no longer live there. I live in the Detroit area now, but I'm a third generation Broad Ripple-ite, then I went to college in Anderson. Then I married a girl from Irvington.

Like with the auto industry, Indiana used to be a big player in the distilling world too. Good to see that the Hoosier state is well represented on this board!

birdman1099
07-17-2008, 11:52
Welcome Shaman !!!:grin:

Whereas, Indyis not a bourbon Mecca by any means, there is a descent selection. Might I suggest the Eagle Rare 10 yr. You should be able to find that one anywhere.

Let us know what you decide on.

Happy Hunting !!!

jburlowski
07-18-2008, 15:03
Welcome aboard...

One of my favorite summer bourbons is Basil Hayden. Many here will scoff, but it is a rye-rich bourbon bottled at 80 proof. Perfect for having multiple pours while BBQing, hanging around the pool, etc.

mozilla
07-19-2008, 08:10
One of my favorite summer bourbons is Basil Hayden. Many here will scoff, but it is a rye-rich bourbon bottled at 80 proof. Perfect for having multiple pours while BBQing, hanging around the pool, etc.

ask and ye shall receive....

If you are interested in following that advice...I say shoot for the OGD 86. It is virtually the same bourbon, though the OGD has a variety of proofs to choose from instead of just 80. Also, the OGD line will allow you to purchase two bottles for the price of one Basil Hayden. OGD also has a 100 and 114 proof versions.

I would recommend BT mashbill #1 for a fat sweet style, HH for a dryer bourbon, and WT for an "Old School" style of bourbon.

Don't forget to try some straight rye....you get a little more bang for your buck with the more expensive grain as the majority.

Welcome to the board!

shaman
07-19-2008, 09:05
Thank you all for the friendly welcome and the suggestions. The liquor store I went to did not have a great selection but I did see a few that were well spoken of here. I selected a bottle of Buffalo Trace. The first glass reminded me a lot of Makers Mark (my current everyday) but the subsequent glasses do not. The flavor is actually quite different though I am still trying to figure out exactly what it is that is different. Any suggestions for how to do a head to head comparison without the first drink tainting the second? I like it very much and it is a great bourbon at least to my newbie palate.

I also thought about trying the OFBB that has been well reviewed here. I have been unable to find it so far is the OF standard bottle similar? Or am I comparing to completely different things?

Thanks again.

mozilla
07-19-2008, 09:21
Which OF are you referring to? Fitz or Forester?

smokinjoe
07-19-2008, 10:25
Hey, Paul. If you go to the "Tasting" forum of this site, you'll find 7 stickied threads at the top of it by Marvin, titled: "How to evaluate the different tastes in bourbon". Read them, print them off, and refer to them as you do your tastings. They're a treasure, and have been a tremendous help to those like me, who tend to be "palatly challenged" :D

Cheers!

JOE

shaman
07-19-2008, 12:12
Which OF are you referring to? Fitz or Forester?

Sorry about that.. Forester was the OF I was referring to.

shaman
07-19-2008, 12:13
Hey, Paul. If you go to the "Tasting" forum of this site, you'll find 7 stickied threads at the top of it by Marvin, titled: "How to evaluate the different tastes in bourbon". Read them, print them off, and refer to them as you do your tastings. They're a treasure, and have been a tremendous help to those like me, who tend to be "palatly challenged" :D

Cheers!

JOE

Joe,

I will check those out as soon as I get a chance. Thank you. I have only been into a couple of the forums. Thanks for helping me find my way around.

shaman
08-02-2008, 14:54
With the help of suggestions from many people here my "stash" has grown from multiple bottles of MM to a modest selection of 8 different bourbons. I am starting to think this might be an expensive hobby :lol:

So far my 3 faves have been Buffalo Trace, 1792, and Weller SR.

Thanks for all of the help. I am having a blast with all of this....

fishnbowljoe
08-04-2008, 15:14
Paul, If you like the Weller SR, you'll love the Weller Antique 107, and the Weller 12 yr old. Give then a try. You want be disappointed. Joe (again, the other one):skep:

PhilsFan
08-05-2008, 08:00
Paul, Welcome! As you can see, there are many friendly people here who are eager to help. Some bourbons that people here have turned me on to are: Elmer T Lee, Weller Antique 107 and Weller Centennial, Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107, Pappy Van Winkle 15 and a real value, Very Old Barton 100 Proof Bottled in Bond.

There are lots of great bourbons for you to try and I look forward to reading your posts.

-Joe

shaman
08-05-2008, 18:53
Paul, Welcome! As you can see, there are many friendly people here who are eager to help. Some bourbons that people here have turned me on to are: Elmer T Lee, Weller Antique 107 and Weller Centennial, Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107, Pappy Van Winkle 15 and a real value, Very Old Barton 100 Proof Bottled in Bond.

There are lots of great bourbons for you to try and I look forward to reading your posts.

-Joe

Thanks Joe. I will add those to my list to keep an eye out for. I am finding that I do not have access to everything. Which was kind of a surprise since I am so close to KY. I think I have seen most of those here though.

Is Elmer T Lee a product of Buffalo Trace Distillery?

PhilsFan
08-06-2008, 08:29
Thanks Joe. I will add those to my list to keep an eye out for. I am finding that I do not have access to everything. Which was kind of a surprise since I am so close to KY. I think I have seen most of those here though.

Is Elmer T Lee a product of Buffalo Trace Distillery?

Yes, Elmer T Lee is Master Distiller Emeritus at Buffalo Trace. There's a lot of helpful info about which distillery makes each bourbon and links to just about everything you'd want to know about bourbon and bourbon country on the opening page of sb.com. This is really a great one-stop website for bourbon lovers!

-Joe

shaman
08-06-2008, 12:58
There's a lot of helpful info about which distillery makes each bourbon and links to just about everything you'd want to know about bourbon and bourbon country on the opening page of sb.com.
-Joe

Thank you Joe, I never saw that link on the front page... What a great list. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.....