PDA

View Full Version : Bacon-Infused Bourbon

cowdery
07-17-2008, 20:22
Is this the greatest idea ever or what?

Bacon-Infused Maker's Mark (http://www.examiner.com/x-387-Cocktails-Examiner~y2008m7d14-Bacon-Monday-Whisky).

Schpyder
07-17-2008, 20:26
At first blush, this sounds like a tragedy in the making.

But on further reflection, with the right bourbon (a sweet, slightly spicy one), this could actually work? Dunno if Maker's is the right choice, though. Maybe something like ETL.

HipFlask
07-17-2008, 21:02
I agree with Chuck on this one. Everyone loves bacon! and flavored with bourbon it gotta be even better.

callmeox
07-17-2008, 21:06
I've had the maple sausages...how about bourbon cured bacon?

The bacon/bourbon combo is intruguing.

scratchline
07-17-2008, 21:13
I've had this fat washed bourbon twice. The second time as part of a cocktail class led by molecular mixologist (although he hates that designation) Eben Freeman. Both times it was used in an Old-Fashioned. Eben used Bulleit Bourbon and a home-made mole bitters. Both times it was a fine drink, although I thought the version with the mole bitters was superior. It's not going to replace my bourbon-flavored bourbon, but it's a nice alternative to a Bloody Mary with brunch.

-Mike

plaid_emu
07-17-2008, 21:33
I was drivin' along old US 68 heading down towards KY one day when I saw a big ole' nasty hog, covered in it's own :shithappens: takin' a big ole' leak outta it's big ole' nasty hog d***!

That was the last day I EVER intentionally consumed pork products of ANY kind.

CorvallisCracker
07-17-2008, 21:35
I like bourbon. I like bacon.

But when I think about this, the room begins to spin. I think it's my mind, reeling.

craigthom
07-17-2008, 21:44
I like the bacon fat method. That way no bacon is lost.

The taste combination sounds fine to me. I use bourbon barrel wood for smoking pork shoulders. These are two great tastes that taste great together.

cowdery
07-17-2008, 22:15
One thing I learned from living in Kentucky for nine years is that everything is better with bacon.

CorvallisCracker
07-17-2008, 22:36
One thing I learned from living in Kentucky for nine years is that everything is better with bacon.

Would that include....no, I'm not going there...

fishnbowljoe
07-17-2008, 23:04
Makin' Bacon? Yeeeee Haaaaa!

Dueling banjos anyone? You sure do have purty teeth!

NeoTexan
07-18-2008, 04:44
I was drivin' along old US 68 heading down towards KY one day when I saw a big ole' nasty hog, covered in it's own :shithappens: takin' a big ole' leak outta it's big ole' nasty hog d***!

May I suggest you never work on a farm. You will end up starving to death! :slappin:

ILLfarmboy
07-18-2008, 06:08

Do you eat chicken? Chickens will go behind other animals and eat the corn outa their shit.

Yeah, you best not live/work on a farm.:cool:

ILLfarmboy
07-18-2008, 06:11
Bourbon-infused bacon, yes. Bacon-infused bourbon, I'm not so sure about. I love bacon, but that seems a bit odd.

Josh
07-18-2008, 07:25
How about this for a great dessert or breakfast treat? Bacon ice cream topped w/a bacon-infused bourbon butterscotch sauce, topped with bacon bits and raspberries. Yum.

In defense of the pigs (the animal not human ones), they have to roll in MUD (my understanding is that they don't really roll in their own feces) to keep from overheating (they have no sweat glands) and to protect their skin against sunburn. And hey, like the book says, everybody poops. And those big juicy fruits and veggies you love don't get that way w/o fertilizer. And the best fertilizer doesn't come out of a bag marked "miracle grow" either!

Stu
07-18-2008, 08:29

Besides not working on a farm, may I also suggest you never work in a canning factory. You will be as turned off to canned veggies and fruits, etc. as you are to pork. Above all, NEVER go hunting with someone who insists that you clean your own game.

ILLfarmboy
07-18-2008, 08:30
.... And the best fertilizer doesn't come out of a bag marked "miracle grow" either!

liquidised poop spread by a "honeydew waggon". Smells like money........:cool:

Stu
07-18-2008, 08:54
I love bacon and I love bourbon. I understand how to get a bourbon flavor into bacon, but how do you infuse the bacon into the bourbon? Or do you buy it that way? Side note: we had hickory smoked B-B-Q pork chops last night that had been marinated in a bourbon sauce. Hard to tell which gave the best flavor, hickory or bourbon, but combined it was superb.

plaid_emu
07-18-2008, 14:10
May I suggest you never work on a farm. You will end up starving to death! :slappin:

HAAHAHAHA!!

Actually my Grandfather (who's passed on now) owned a farm and he had lots of livestock including chickens and cattle so I've been around them since I was little and I'm aware they're not so clean either. But before I was born he stopped raising pigs so I'd never spent much time around them.

I do think pigs are disgusting on another level though. Maybe it's because they're so similar to humans. That makes them even less appealing.

cowdery
07-18-2008, 18:06
As for how it's done, I looked at her method with vodka. It's funny, because every other step is "eat some bacon." It's basically just cooked bacon--not quite crispy, she says--left to soak in spirit (vodka, bourbon) for some period of time. I think it's safe to say that each is infused with the other. The creator also tends to use the post-soak bacon as a garnish. I'm sure nothing is wasted.

jburlowski
07-18-2008, 18:29

You are right Chuck, everything (including the nasty parts) is / are better with bacon!

Stu
07-18-2008, 22:13
As for how it's done, I looked at her method with vodka. It's funny, because every other step is "eat some bacon." It's basically just cooked bacon--not quite crispy, she says--left to soak in spirit (vodka, bourbon) for some period of time. I think it's safe to say that each is infused with the other. The creator also tends to use the post-soak bacon as a garnish. I'm sure nothing is wasted.

Thanks Chuck, I'll give it a try. How long should I let it soak? Does it need to be refrigerated?

craigthom
07-19-2008, 15:14
If you watch the video in the link in the first post, you'll see the bacon fat method, which is mixing bacon fat into the bourbon, probably heated enough to get it liquid but not enough to make alcohol evaporate. Then chill the mixture so the bacon fat rises to the top and solidifies. After removing the fat and straining the bourbon, you get magical bacon bourbon.

I love bacon and I love bourbon. I understand how to get a bourbon flavor into bacon, but how do you infuse the bacon into the bourbon? Or do you buy it that way? Side note: we had hickory smoked B-B-Q pork chops last night that had been marinated in a bourbon sauce. Hard to tell which gave the best flavor, hickory or bourbon, but combined it was superb.

cowdery
07-19-2008, 15:24
Thanks Chuck, I'll give it a try. How long should I let it soak? Does it need to be refrigerated?

Refrigerated, yes, for about 5 days.

spun_cookie
07-19-2008, 17:24
Going to give it a shot with some Old Weller Antique..... yummy

NeoTexan
07-25-2008, 19:14
If you watch the video in the link in the first post, you'll see the bacon fat method, which is mixing bacon fat into the bourbon, probably heated enough to get it liquid but not enough to make alcohol evaporate. Then chill the mixture so the bacon fat rises to the top and solidifies. After removing the fat and straining the bourbon, you get magical bacon bourbon.

They just showed this method on Diners and Dives. They put 3 oz of rendered smoked bacon fat (heated slightly) into what looked like approx. 20 oz of Jim Beam White. Bartender said to let sit 6 hours, chill, strain and serve.

CorvallisCracker
07-25-2008, 20:15
They just showed this method on Diners and Dives. They put 3 oz of rendered smoked bacon fat (heated slightly) into what looked like approx. 20 oz of Jim Beam White. Bartender said to let sit 6 hours, chill, strain and serve.

<shudder>

Die, evil thread! Die, die, die!!!

Jake_Parrott
07-28-2008, 05:29
My experience with a few barkeeps tries at fat-washed or bacon-infused bourbon is that it fails to catch one of the key essences we think of when we think of bacon--the volatilized smell of hot bacon fat. I find most of the infusions to be kind of clunky and flat. Now, garnishing a well made old-fashioned (i.e. no muddled fruit) with a small slice of just-off-the-sizzle bacon? Now that's a combination I'd be willing to try.

spun_cookie
07-28-2008, 11:12
Going to give it a shot with some Old Weller Antique..... yummy

Did it, tried it, dumped it.

-------

Gillman
07-28-2008, 12:41
This idea sounds a bit odd although there was a fashion 50 years ago for the bullshot, which is beef bouillon and vodka.

When you think about it, the idea to blend bacon and whiskey is not so far off. An even closer idea may be the old hot-buttered rum.

Still, I'd rather drink my spirits with the food (alongside).

Gary

Gillman
07-28-2008, 12:45
Jake's objection might be addressed by recourse back to the toddy days, when whiskey was served hot as often as cold.

I'm surprised the barkeeps/writers/publicists aren't cottoning to this, although maybe with the onset of winter they will. Ice has become so universal and unthinking an addition to spirits that it has wiped out the idea of a hot drink as a restorative. The hot-buttered rum was precisely that of course.

Gary

smokinjoe
08-03-2008, 18:44
Bacon = Good!
Bourbon = Very Good!!
Bacon + Bourbon = :puke:!!!!!

JOE

TBoner
08-11-2008, 19:19
I'm fond of bacon brittle; I'd guess a bourbon-based candy syrup would make it better. As for bacon-infused bourbon, I'll wait until I'm in NY at a good cocktail joint and try it out...

Regards,

GOCOUGS2002
08-12-2008, 12:12
I'll try most anything once...does this come as a side when you order SOS at IHOP?

pepcycle
08-15-2008, 20:02
Sounds like a whole lot of work to get to a very simple result.
Its the smokiness.
Try adding a dash of Liquid Smoke.

I know, I know. There's just something about soaking whiskey and fat that's appealing.

The results suck!!!!

Try the Liquid Smoke, especially as an adjunct to a Manhattan. (Leave out the cherry, it just doesn't go with a Firehouse Manhattan)
Serve with Smoked Salmon on Rye Toast with a little sour cream and Paddlefish Caviar.

Gillman
08-16-2008, 04:32
This sounds good. If you used that double wood bourbon from BTEC, it's kind of a similar thing (or, say EC 18). The bitters Lenell gave me from Fee's that are oak-aged is another approach because they were matured in a Jack Daniels barrel and have a sooty overtone (their cinnamon notes might obtrude with the salmon, though).

But the concept of smoky liquor taken side by side with a rich smoked food is the way to go. Both flavours combine in the mouth, but in a more, um, linear way.

Malt whisky especially from Islay provides another example and has been paired with cheese for example successfully.

Really when you think about it, the idea to infuse a fatty food in spirit is not so odd, but most people I think will go for the side by side approach or with the liquor put in a much greater amount of food (Welsh Rabbit, say, bourbon meatballs, or bourbon balls full stop! Bobby and Amelia's Stagg bourbon balls, best ever in history!!!!).

Gary

Gillman
08-16-2008, 05:36
I meant re the BTEC the Firepot.

Gary

WsmataU
08-16-2008, 09:50

You've obviously never worked around porcine as they tend to be very clean animals. They don't roll in their own decrement (unlike dogs).