PDA

View Full Version : I hate cola

Attila
07-29-2008, 07:36
In my life, I have never had a cola or cola drink that I even remotely found palatable.

Then I had a bourbon (WT 8 Yr) and coke on Friday. It was pretty darn good. I am gonna hafta have a couple more of those.

jpact
07-29-2008, 08:19
In my life, I have never had a cola or cola drink that I even remotely found palatable.

Then I had a bourbon (WT 8 Yr) and coke on Friday. It was pretty darn good. I am gonna hafta have a couple more of those.

Now why would you go and ruin a good bourbon by adding coke to it? :)

Gov
07-29-2008, 15:54

I agree! Use a bad bourbon like Makers Mark for that! :slappin:

smokinjoe
07-29-2008, 18:38
If you don't like Coke, you can try this. Don't know how it goes with bourbon, though: (Probably would help scotch ;) )

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/business/stories/2008/07/28/japan_eel_drink.html?cxntlid=inform_artr

Just arrived in your neighborhood! :D

Cheers!

JOE

TNbourbon
07-29-2008, 19:27

I agree! Use a bad bourbon like Makers Mark for that! :slappin:
Sounds a lot like a prima-dona, wine-snob forum, guys. Sorry. But, we don't do this here (or, at least, we didn't used to).
I hope others will back up my creds as being a full-fledged 'bourbonista' -- but I like bourbon-and-(diet)cola, along with hundreds of thousands of other casual bourbon drinkers. We often forget that cliches become such by being so ubiquitously popular.
If you're going to make a mixed drink, or marinade steak, or make peanut brittle, use the best ingredients available. If that happens to be George T. Stagg, so be it. I happen to have enjoyed some Very Old Fitzgerald BIB 8yo with cola:
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=123328&postcount=489
Enjoying bourbon is the goal here. However you do it is up to you. Those who pooh-pooh mixing it are just denying themselves some mighty fine experiences. Or making themselves feel better at their own expense.:skep:

Once you pop the cork, it ain't worth nuthin'!

P.S.: In honor of this thread -- and because I'm an ornery ol' cuss -- I've just poured some diet Big K (Kroger) diet cola and some 86.8-proof Old Fitz Prime from a Lexington (the horse) decanter from 1968 (wheater with cola, rye with ginger ale). Pretty damned good for 'ruined' bourbon!

Tim

hjminard
07-29-2008, 19:38
Hear, hear, TNbourbon ... and MM isn't "bad" bourbon. Not as good, perhaps, but certainly not bad.

Attila
07-29-2008, 19:49
bad bourbon like Makers Mark for that!

A couple of weeks ago I spent a fine overly humid Tokyo evening outside with several beautiful ladies and a quadruple MM on the rocks. The MM made me feel a little wicked, but by no means bad. Maybe more than a little.

Thesh
07-29-2008, 19:59
I like bourbon and coke, rye and coke better, but I don't think there is a reason to use a good bourbon in cooking or mixed drinks.

Let me rephrase that. I don't think there is a reason to use an expensive bourbon in cooking or mixed drinks, no matter how good the bourbon is. I like to keep it on the small end of the bourbon price range.

TNbourbon
07-29-2008, 20:49
...I don't think there is a reason to use a good bourbon in cooking or mixed drinks.

Let me rephrase that. I don't think there is a reason to use an expensive bourbon in cooking or mixed drinks, no matter how good the bourbon is...
I can live with that. But let me repeat, too, my chief point: once you've opened the bottle, it has no value. You can't return it for refund; you can't sell it. Granted, replacement cost becomes a factor, but I find a 750ml of Stagg lasts me the better part of a year. I don't WANT to drink it every night. So, in that sense, replacement of Stagg may be less pressing than replacing my EW Black Label, which I may go through in a month.

fishnbowljoe
07-29-2008, 21:02
I drink Coke, Pepsi or RC. My favorite non-cola is Sierra Mist Free (diet), and I occasionally have some Ginger Ale too. I most often have my bourbon with one of these. The funny thing is, (and I think I've posted this on another thread somewhere along the way) different bourbons taste different with each of these. MM and Bulleit tastes better with Sierra Mist. Weller SR is good with Pepsi. Knob Creek and Weller Antique with Coke. Old Forester Signature 100 with RC. Templeton Rye with Ginger Ale. Etc.etc. etc...... The only bourbon that I have, that for me tastes great any way I drink it, is ER 10/90. I drink it with a mixer, water, on the rocks, or straight up. This bourbon is my favorite all around bourbon. Joe

PS Thanks Tim

chilidawg7
07-29-2008, 21:14
A fellow SB.com member enlightened me a few months back as to the use of Root Beer as a mixer. As Joe said, its taste can vary from bourbon to bourbon and the recommendation I received was for Old Forester 100. It can be quite good and I am also trying it with some other quality pours.

Dr. Pepper can also be a good mixer from time to time. You never know til you try.

bluesbassdad
07-29-2008, 21:31

I love cola of many brands today (not with bourbon, however), but it wasn't always so.

On a scale of one to 10 the trauma of my first drink of Coke as a youngster is about a six. I had been warned not to "let it go up your nose". I had no idea what those stupid grown-ups were talking about. If they could do it, so could I. ("If they can take it, so can I. You poured it for her, now pour it for me. Pour it Sam, pour it.")

I tipped that icy cold, stubby, six-ounce bottle, leaned my head back and took a mighty swig. As the carbonation took effect inside my mouth, the next thing I knew there was a terrible burning sensation in areas of my nasal passages I had never been conscious of before. For a second or two I thought I was going to die.

To this day I still don't know how that happened or why older, wiser folks could predict that it was going to happen. I don't recall how long I waited before trying it again. That was the only time I had the problem.

BTW, having turned age 65 not long ago I am now officially an old fart, which entitles me to interject extraneous posts at will (at least until the Moderators say otherwise). :grin: My role model is the guy in the old commercial for Henry Weinhard's beer; he confused that brand name with a variety of cattle. "I used to run Henry Weinhards out around Saragosa." :grin:

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

T47
07-29-2008, 22:17
I am not a big soda drinker, maybe three cans a month. But every once in a while I crave a drink of Coke like crazy, most often late at night?

I don't usually mix my Bourbon with more than a couple ice cubes, though I have tried it both with Coke and Ginger ale. I have to agree with Tim, enjoy it however you enjoy it...that just seems like a no-brainer to me.

Speaking of soda, well carbonated water anyway. My 21 year-old returned from his Russia-Estonia-Ukraine trip last week. He says he when he bought bottled water they would always ask, "With Gas or Without?" Now he is hooked on Soda Water? I guess he could have returned with worse habits...

Gov
07-29-2008, 22:19
Ladies and Gents, I meant no offensive if any was taken about the MM comment. Yes, I dislike MM and it reminds me of a box of cracker jacks or pancake syrup, but I meant no disrespect to anyone. Also, I do not mix any whisk(e)y and drink them neat. Am I a snob or a purist?

bluesbassdad
07-29-2008, 23:03
Ladies and Gents, I meant no offensive if any was taken about the MM comment. Yes, I dislike MM and it reminds me of a box of cracker jacks or pancake syrup, but I meant no disrespect to anyone. Also, I do not mix any whisk(e)y and drink them neat. Am I a snob or a purist?

Last question first: Nope. You're just like the rest of us; you enjoy it your own way.

Funny thing is, I love both Cracker Jacks and maple syrup, but I'm not fond of Maker's Mark. Maybe with a dash of maple syrup... :grin:

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

jpact
07-30-2008, 11:00
Sounds a lot like a prima-dona, wine-snob forum, guys. Sorry. But, we don't do this here (or, at least, we didn't used to).

:) = good natured joke.

That's why they are there.

Personally, I drink so much freakin' diet soda during the day that the last thing I want to do is pop another one when I get home, even as a mixer. But hey, I'm a live and let live kind of guy. 'twas just a joke, officer.

Stones
07-30-2008, 23:18
I agree with Tim, as long as you're enjoying 'bourbon' whether neat or with some type of post mix we all have the same fondness for this heavenly beverage.

I personally was introduced to bourbon & cola initially, if i'd been introduced to it on the rocks i guess this would be my preference. Although after saying this whenever i am drinking a better than standard shelf bourbon i let it breath for a bit, take a deep lungful of the character and also a good taste of if before mixing just to experience the rawness before putting it with ice, water or cola. I never would have experienced it this way until i went to an international whiskey tasting. It certainly opened my palate to a different way of tasting whiskeys. CHEERS! :grin:

HighTower
07-31-2008, 06:50
I like Coke, thought I don't tend to drink too much of it these days. Every now and then I go on a vanilla coke binge.
I used to mix my bourbon with coke, but now I can't stand it. These days if I am mixing it is with either Schweppes Lemonade or L&P.

And I don't think it matters what it is...I find a better pour makes a better mixer.

Scott

Attila
07-31-2008, 22:06
I drink so much freakin' diet soda during the day

Why would you possibly do something like that?

dunk50
08-01-2008, 12:51
Well I know I ain't no snob and I sure ain't no purist but come Aug. 14th (my 38th wedding anniversary I am going to commit sacrilege. It's going to be a double shot of Pappy 23 and regular coke with about 6 ice cubes. Honest injun, it's going to happen! maybe

jpact
08-01-2008, 13:19
Why would you possibly do something like that?

We all have our bad habits. 3-4 cans of caffeinated is what I'm talking about; I've never been a coffee drinker. Hey, there was a time that it wasn't diet. Talk about a pointless 500-600 calories/day.

I find that bourbon is a great way to get that artificial sweetener taste out of my mouth.

:lol:

craigthom
08-01-2008, 13:55
I recently kicked the caffeine habit. I still get a little in iced tea, but I don't get headaches when I go a day without it, so I know the habit is gone.

I drink bourbon or Dickel with Coke (Zero, now) while watching college football games because that's what I drank at them back in the day, and the taste is part of the atmosphere.

CorvallisCracker
08-01-2008, 14:00
Well I know I ain't no snob and I sure ain't no purist but come Aug. 14th (my 38th wedding anniversary I am going to commit sacrilege. It's going to be a double shot of Pappy 23 and regular coke with about 6 ice cubes. Honest injun, it's going to happen! maybe

I like bourbon and Coke (though I tend to make 'em strong, 2:3 b:C) but it's my experience that the old woody ones don't work that well.[1]

1. "old woody" refers to the bourbon[2]

2. Though I guess an "old woody" Coke wouldn't work that well either.

Thesh
08-01-2008, 14:15

Why would you ruin a perfectly good coke by putting ice in it?

camduncan
08-01-2008, 15:20
I couldn't agree with Tim more - if you like your bourbon with coke, drink it that way. It's not the way I drink my bourbon often these days, but for years all I drank was Jim Beam White and Cola premix cans.
Many of the people who I used to drink premix with 20 years ago still only drink them and can't stand their bourbon straight. *
If I'm visiting someone, and they offer me a premix can, I'm just as happy to drink that as I would be if if they'd offered me some Stagg or Pappy 23 neat.

* Note: Australia is the worlds biggest consumer of premix bourbon drinks (I think Chuck quoted this in another thread, but I couldn't find it)

Thesh
08-01-2008, 19:25
* Note: Australia is the worlds biggest consumer of premix bourbon drinks (I think Chuck quoted this in another thread, but I couldn't find it)

I didn't even know they made those. I, for the life of me, can't recall ever seeing one in stores.