PDA

View Full Version : Ocpr

birdman1099
08-13-2008, 19:06
what are everyones thoughts on the old charter proprieters reserve?worth getting?

TNbourbon
08-13-2008, 21:42
what are everyones thoughts on the old charter proprieters reserve?worth getting?
Under, say, $40, yes! At $40, maybe. Over $40, it becomes problematic.
Please note, I'm speaking as an assayer of fine bourbon, not an eBay post-marketer. I'm sure, someday -- since it's been discontinued -- it'll hit the magical $100 (and up) mark, which makes even a $75 price today interesting. You won't find ME paying that, though:skep: (and why not, you asked -- don't you like profit? Ya know, it's this sort of think that chased me out of coins and stamps 15 years ago. I liked them for the history -- imagine, a coin that may have circulated in Thomas Jefferson's pocket! Some folks thought they had value!).
Of course, I'm poor...:icon_pidu: (except in experience and good fellowship:grin:...)

jeff
08-14-2008, 08:07
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes :yum:

OCPR was one of my favorite pours. I can still taste it in my mind :cry:

Sijan
08-14-2008, 08:33
I remember liking it quite a bit, but it's been a long time since I've had any. Had sort of forgotten about it. This one has a high corn recipe, right? Or am I confusing it with I.W. Harper?

birdman1099
08-14-2008, 09:36
Under, say, $40, yes! At $40, maybe. Over $40, it becomes problematic.
Please note, I'm speaking as an assayer of fine bourbon, not an eBay post-marketer. I'm sure, someday -- since it's been discontinued -- it'll hit the magical $100 (and up) mark, which makes even a $75 price today interesting. You won't find ME paying that, though:skep: (and why not, you asked -- don't you like profit? Ya know, it's this sort of think that chased me out of coins and stamps 15 years ago. I liked them for the history -- imagine, a coin that may have circulated in Thomas Jefferson's pocket! Some folks thought they had value!).
Of course, I'm poor...:icon_pidu: (except in experience and good fellowship:grin:...)

Believe me, I will drink everything i buy. I am not looking for an "investment"
I found a couple for $35. I just didn't want to waste my 35 bucks on bad swill.

And, Sijan, you say high corn??? meaning sweeter?? would you compare it to anything else???

ACDetroit
08-14-2008, 10:33
Did is look like this?

http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/acatalog/oldcharter.jpg
OCPR 13 yr Frankfort Bottling (newer)

OR

Did it look like this?

http://www.thedrinkshop.com/images/products/main/3672/3672.jpg

OCPR 13 yr L'Ville Bottle (Older)

Both good but the Older "slope shoulder" bottles from L'Ville are a little bit better IMO!!

Cheers!
Tony

Hope all goes well Bird!!

spun_cookie
08-14-2008, 11:01
Did is look like this?

http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/acatalog/oldcharter.jpg
OCPR 13 yr Frankfort Bottling (newer)

OR

Did it look like this?

http://www.thedrinkshop.com/images/products/main/3672/3672.jpg

OCPR 13 yr L'Ville Bottle (Older)

Both good but the Older "slope shoulder" bottles from L'Ville are a little bit better IMO!!

Cheers!
Tony

Hope all goes well Bird!!

I have not had teh older, but the newer was good... I paid $40 for it and decided that I found others (Weller Centennial) I like better.

Scott, you should go ahead and pick it up. It is a good bottle for you to have..... and $35 is a good price

PhilsFan
08-14-2008, 11:49
I recently got one of the slope shoulder OCPRs from another sb.com member, and I like it a lot. I'm trying to be conservative with it until I come across another bottle of OCPR at a decent price.

If I found two at $35 apiece, I'd probably buy them both.

Cheers!

-Joe

birdman1099
08-14-2008, 13:09
They are not the slope shoulders. But I picked em both up anyway !!!!:cool:

birdman1099
08-14-2008, 13:33
btw, if the frankfort botle is BT, who made the l'ville bottle?

nor02lei
08-14-2008, 13:55
I have had a 5 cl bottle of the one from the original BHC and it wasn’t much to “hang in the Christmas tree” as I see it. Always nice to taste something new but 5 cl was in off for me specially considering the price.

Leif

Sijan
08-14-2008, 14:13
btw, if the frankfort botle is BT, who made the l'ville bottle?

United Distillers - doesn't exist anymore. Their holdings & brands have been split up among several different distilleries.

jeff
08-14-2008, 16:38
IMHO, the Frankfort bottling was superior :yum:

jburlowski
08-17-2008, 10:00
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes :yum:

OCPR was one of my favorite pours. I can still taste it in my mind :cry:

Ahhhh, me too. I've got a half-bottle left on the bar. Think I'll reconnect with my memories this afternoon.

MJL
09-25-2008, 14:16
Hmm, I guess I ought to have read this earlier. I bought a bottle of the Louisville stuff yesterday for $28 without knowing really what I was looking at. I saw another bottle today for $38. I may have to go claim that other bottle too soon.

smokinjoe
09-25-2008, 14:31
MJ, it's a steal at $28, and worth every penny at $38.

tsangster
09-25-2008, 15:48
Picked up a L'ville bottle in FL a couple of weeks ago. Original price tag has been removed and replaced with a $34.95 tag. Wonder what the original price was?

Somehow missed or forgot the announcement that it had been discontinued. Need to look for more to accompany my 3 bottles of Russell's Reserve 101. Bought a bottle last time we went to the beach and really enjoyed it.

OscarV
09-25-2008, 15:58
United Distillers - doesn't exist anymore. Their holdings & brands have been split up among several different distilleries.

I did not know that UD originally made Old Charter.

This is off topic but what all did UD produce?

barturtle
09-25-2008, 16:26
I did not know that UD originally made Old Charter.

This is off topic but what all did UD produce?

Lots...

Old Fitz
Weller
IW Harper
Old Charter
Rebel Yell
Kentucky Tavern
George Dickel

If you go back farther to when UDV was known as Schenley it gets even larger: Ancient Age gets added in, for example.

cowdery
09-25-2008, 16:38
Old Charter was created by Ben Chapeze at the Chapeze Distillery, which he established in 1846 at a site just west of Beam's Clermont distillery. Beam owns the site, has used the warehouses there for years, and has recently built some new ones on the site that hold 50,000 barrels each. (Picture attached.)

Old Charter was named after the Charter Oak, a famous tree in the colonial history of Connecticut. Something about the English trying to seize the charter to revoke it, and the patriots hiding it in the hollow of an old oak tree.

Josh
09-25-2008, 18:34
I like OCPR, both the L'ville and the Frankfort (thanks again Tony), but I think I actually prefer the OC 10 to the OCPR. The PR is just a little too far on the woody side for me. Plus OC 10's cheaper. I know I'm in the minority here but I don't give a monkey's, as they say. :)

MJL
09-25-2008, 19:40
MJ, it's a steal at $28, and worth every penny at $38.

If it means anything I got skunked out of a bottle of Van Winkle Lot B earlier in the day. I had found it last week but had no cash on me. I went back to get it this afternoon and it was sold. I am going to go back to another Honey Pot to see if they still have the two Pappy Van Winkle 15 year old I spotted there a few weeks back tomorrow. I will get around to picking up this Old Charter in a few weeks.

birdman1099
10-03-2008, 13:02
Well, now I have ms an OCPR Louisville. Time for the side-by-side !!!:grin:

ACDetroit
10-03-2008, 16:11
I like OCPR, both the L'ville and the Frankfort (thanks again Tony), but I think I actually prefer the OC 10 to the OCPR. The PR is just a little too far on the woody side for me. Plus OC 10's cheaper. I know I'm in the minority here but I don't give a monkey's, as they say. :)

Hey Josh that's the nice thing about this place...you can like your favorites and we'll like ours :grin:. You still need to make the trip to my place one night, we should set that up with Gus you 2 can car pool.

Hey Birdboy! You finish that side by side yet? I need to read some results fella :cool:.

Cheers!

Tony

birdman1099
10-03-2008, 17:36
Here are my amateur notes

The first thing I noticed is that the Louisville bottle is a screw to while the frankfurt is a cork. The cork is much nicer IMO.

Both served in a reidel, neat.

Color: both are a brilliant amber. the louisville is a shade darker. The legs on the frankfort are thin and run quickly down the glass. the louisville is thicker and slower.

Nose: Frankfort has a shallow, grassy smell. Hay perhaps. small amount of oak. Louisville has some vanilla. oak, roasted nuts. big nose.

Taste: Frankfort is thin. some wood and mint. Louisville is bigger and bolder. much more vanilla and caramel.

Finish: Frankfort is surprisingly long and sweet. Louisville very nice. long. some vanilla that turns to a toffee/chocolate.

Overall, for a 90 proofer, these are both a great pour. But I give the edge to the Louisville bottle. much bigger and bolder. Right up my alley.:cool:

ACDetroit
10-06-2008, 21:04
Nice notes BirdBoy! I think you did a fine job.

Tony

spun_cookie
10-06-2008, 21:23
As do I . Good notes sir.. .keep them up. I see a VBT in your future

PhilsFan
10-07-2008, 08:47
Overall, for a 90 proofer, these are both a great pour. But I give the edge to the Louisville bottle. much bigger and bolder. Right up my alley.:cool:

Scott, Thanks for the great notes on one of my favorites, OCPR....
I'm not good yet at describing the ones I enjoy, so seeing your notes encourages me to work on this shortcoming!

-Joe

Josh
10-20-2008, 12:17
Hey Josh that's the nice thing about this place...you can like your favorites and we'll like ours :grin:. You still need to make the trip to my place one night, we should set that up with Gus you 2 can car pool.

Cheers!

Tony

I'd love to! I'll check the old calandar, and then give you a PM.

Hondo
02-21-2009, 07:02
I've had exactly 50ML of Old Charter Proprietors Reserve and really liked it. I have not yet found any dusty bottles anywhere that I can get my hands on.

Looking at the Old Charter website today I see and eight year old, a ten year old and Old Charter 101. Which of these current bottlings would most resemble the profile of OCPR?

funknik
02-21-2009, 08:05
I've had exactly 50ML of Old Charter Proprietors Reserve and really liked it. I have not yet found any dusty bottles anywhere that I can get my hands on.

Looking at the Old Charter website today I see and eight year old, a ten year old and Old Charter 101. Which of these current bottlings would most resemble the profile of OCPR?
I haven't had the 8yr, but of those, I would say the 101 is closest -- I did not care for the 10yr...it lacks the sweetness that both the OCPR and 101 share. Also, although it's out of production, the OC12 is the closest IMO to the OCPR and still probably out on the shelves in some places....it is a very good pour - I'm not sure I could tell the difference, in fact.

kickert
02-21-2009, 12:26
I haven't had the 8yr, but of those, I would say the 101 is closest -- I did not care for the 10yr...it lacks the sweetness that both the OCPR and 101 share. Also, although it's out of production, the OC12 is the closest IMO to the OCPR and still probably out on the shelves in some places....it is a very good pour - I'm not sure I could tell the difference, in fact.

I would agree. The OC8 / OC10 / OC101 are all pretty similar with different attributes coming to the forefront. With the OC12 and OCPR you get a significantly different flavor profile, but those two are very similar.

jburlowski
02-21-2009, 14:28
My view is that the OC101 has little to offer beyond the high ABV (if that's what you're into...). It seems to me to be young with little depth or character. Of the currently available offerings, if I had to choose, I'd go with the 10yo.

OscarV
02-21-2009, 15:16
My view is that the OC101 has little to offer beyond the high ABV (if that's what you're into...). It seems to me to be young with little depth or character. Of the currently available offerings, if I had to choose, I'd go with the 10yo.

yep, gotta agree
I got a bottle of OC101 last year, excellent price, a store owner got a free one from the rep, had one shot and gave it to me, I split it with AC.

Buffalo Bill
02-24-2009, 09:39

I'd give it a B+

BB

funknik
02-24-2009, 09:45
I'd give it a B+

BB
I'm with Bill....definitely worth getting, though...not much else is like it out there now.

PhilsFan
02-24-2009, 10:35
OCPR has got to be one of my favorites...I was glad to get ahold of a backup bottle recently. If you can find it, I'd go for it.

-Joe

Squash
02-26-2009, 11:45
Has the OC12 been discontinued as well as the OCPR?

kickert
02-26-2009, 11:49
Has the OC12 been discontinued as well as the OCPR?

Yes it has. But it seems the 12 is easier to find than the OCPR. But then maybe that is just my experiance.

unclebunk
02-26-2009, 12:01
I've never seen a single bottle of OC12 here in Chicagoland but have run across several OCPR's, all of which I bought and thoroughly enjoyed. Binnys stocks a range of OC and I always have a bottle of the 10 year old on hand which I believe costs about $17 or so. I recently saw another bottle of OC10 that had a slighly different label (ten years old written diagonally across the label as opposed to straight across) which I'm guessing is the exact same juice.

ggilbertva
02-27-2009, 09:11
I have the opposite problem, I can't find any OCPR here in the DC area (at least not yet), but over the last month I've picked up 14 bottles of the OC12 (all UD, no BT). The last round was 10 bottles on Wed for a whopping $10.49 each. Can't beat that with a stick.

JamesW
02-27-2009, 11:57
I just picked up 2 bottles of the L'Ville version for $35 ea. looking forward to tasting. I am a big fan of the bourbon heritage collection. I drink a lot of the VSOF 12 and Centennial. Too bad everything I like seems to go away....or be in very short supply. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

Buffalo Bill
02-27-2009, 12:09
Interestingly enough, I have an older sloped shouldered bottle that I opened last summer. I took it out a few nights ago to try it again... my initial response from last summer was a B+ rating. The other night after it having been opened all this time— I gave it an A.

It turned out to be an outstanding bottle. I posted the tasting notes on B.E.

BB

BunkerBooze
02-27-2009, 16:06
I just bought some "Lousville" bottles of OCPR today for $24.99/ea...but had to have it shipped from NY. Boy, do I love this stuff!!!

Special Reserve
02-27-2009, 17:35
I just bought some "Lousville" bottles of OCPR today for $24.99/ea...but had to have it shipped from NY. Boy, do I love this stuff!!!

The Louisville OCPR with the sloped shoulders is about $35 + 6% tax in MI when you find it.

Several years ago, a local liquor store suggested this to me. I liked it then and soon after that it became scarce in MI. Once in a while you find one when bourbon hunting. I was in a store last Sunday that wanted $50 for a Frankfort bottling. I left it in the store while I did take three 2008 GTS off his hands.

JamesW
02-27-2009, 18:41

What a great price. I paid $10 more for each bottle.

theDon
02-27-2009, 18:46
$22 eaach in Houston. I bought all 3. Plenty of the stuff in Texas as well as 12 year. The 12 year is everywhere.

JamesW
02-27-2009, 19:49
It says on the card that OCPR is a rye whisky. Is this true?

barturtle
02-27-2009, 19:56
It says on the card that OCPR is a rye whisky. Is this true?

What card?:skep:

JamesW
02-27-2009, 21:10
What card?:skep:

It had a little card attached around the neck which describes the whole "bourbon heritage collection".

It says "Old Charter is richly colored rye whiskey with a deep, full bourbon flavor"

reggie
02-27-2009, 21:17
It had a little card attached around the neck which describes the whole "bourbon heritage collection".

It says "Old Charter is richly colored rye whiskey with a deep, full bourbon flavor"

Mine say "Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey" on the front of the bottle, they also say "This Bourbon is 13 years old". Whatever cards may have been around the neck did not make there way to me.

mozilla
02-28-2009, 07:24
OC is a ryed bourbon. If it follows the general mashbill...then it has a touch of rye. As far as the age of the OCPR...I have heard that there is whisky in the bottle that is much older than the 13yr age statement.

JamesW
02-28-2009, 09:26
$22 eaach in Houston. I bought all 3. Plenty of the stuff in Texas as well as 12 year. The 12 year is everywhere.

you guys are killin' me http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif