PDA

View Full Version : love reading the reviews

Quantum Mechanic
08-14-2008, 19:08
I discovered the site a couple of weeks ago when I was researching Rock Hill Farms...bought a bottle for my boss as a gift...it almost didn't make it to his hands. Kept reading the posts on the BOTW thread and thought I would go ahead and seek a username. The Beam thread was interesting...I hate Beam. EW Black kicks it's butt for a cheap fifth.

I'm not good enough to review bourbon using all those fancy tasting descriptors, but I do know what I like, and that's sippin' a good bourbon. Give me a oak and char and flavor, and a slow, warm burn. I like Pappy, no make that love Pappy, but the best for my money is EW Single Barrel. I also like Knob Creek quite a bit, but think Woodford is overpriced. If you can't drink it cut or neat, I don't bother. I don't collect either...when I buy it, I drink it.

I've been drinkin' bourbon for about 15 years, but I'm still a newbie to a lot of the high-end brands. I always look for Pappy, but when it ain't there I go for EW single or Knob Creek. I'll admit however I'm more of a fall/winter bourbon drinker. Can't wait to read more of your opinions...you guys seem to really know your stuff.

I'm ramblin'...but I love to talk bourbon about as much as fishin'. I live smack dab in the middle of eastern KY where we make more shine than bourbon. It's about a 90 minute drive to what i would consider a good bourbon selection.

fishnbowljoe
08-14-2008, 19:32
Welcome to SB Stephen. Bourbon? Fishing? Hmmmmmmmmm? Let's not get started.:skep: Just sit back and enjoy the ride. It's a fun trip. Also, don't be bashful about posting. That's what this place is all about. Joe

Quantum Mechanic
08-14-2008, 19:46
Just caught my first snook this summer, Joe. We vacation at Siesta Key Florida, and I've tried for the past two years to get one off the beach. Got two, decent size, on a yozuri crank bait. Very exciting. Lots of rocks close to where we stay, so there are lots of fish.

bluesbassdad
08-14-2008, 20:14
Welcome aboard!

Just in case you have a hankering for bourbon in the summer, I suggest you keep a bottle of Virginia Gentleman 90 proof on hand. The discussion toward the end of this thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9899&highlight=fox)touches on its drinkability in warm weather. There's a link within that thread to yet another, which discusses it in more detail.

IMO it's a bourbon no one is likely to hate, but few are likely to call their favorite.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Quantum Mechanic
08-14-2008, 20:18
thanks, Dave...I'll give it a try.

marco246
08-14-2008, 20:39
Welcome to the site, QM!

How far from Lexington are you? I was visiting eastern KY in May and a friend introduced me to the Liquor Barn there. It was an almost religious experience. I ended up buying a bottle of Black Maple Hill 21, as they were sold out of Pappy, as a gift for my host, knowing we'd end up sharing it. This was pre-SB for me, so I didn't make tasting notes, but I was impressed mostly with the finish, which was as if someone had dropped one of those red and while hard candy peppermints on the back of my tongue. Remarkable. But not as good as Pappy 20. I have yet to get hold of Pappy 15 or 23. I share your appreciation of EW SB, too.

There are a slew of real experts residing here, and you'll find the membership friendly, knowledgable, and gentlemanly (or ladylike, as the case may be). Welcome again!

Cheers,
Mark

Quantum Mechanic
08-15-2008, 04:33
Mark

I'm about 90 minutes from the liquor barn in Lex., and I agree it is fantastic. There are three there now, I think. I'll try the Maple Hill sometime...I've seen it there before.

Reviews I have read for Elijah Craig SB have been good...any thoughts about that one?

Stephen

bluesbassdad
08-15-2008, 12:45
Mark

I'm about 90 minutes from the liquor barn in Lex., and I agree it is fantastic. There are three there now, I think. I'll try the Maple Hill sometime...I've seen it there before.

Reviews I have read for Elijah Craig SB have been good...any thoughts about that one?

Stephen

For unknown reasons the bourbon of which you speak is more often referred to as Elijah Craig 18 year-old (http://www.bardstownbourbonsociety.com/brands_elijahsingle.html), although either description is accurate.

It will test the limits of your appreciation for the wood/char influence that is present in every bourbon, but usually to a lesser extent. That quality varies slightly from bottle to bottle, as does my appreciation of it.

Regardless of whether you come to appreciate it neat I predict you will love it in a Manhattan, in which its bold flavor comes through like that of no other bourbon I've tried. (Take that, vermouth!)

BTW, if you've tried the Elijah Craig 12 year-old, don't expect to find any similarity in the 18 year-old.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Quantum Mechanic
08-15-2008, 13:49
Thanks for the info, Dave.

I've not yet found an appreciation for the Manhattan. For now, it's just a waste of good bourbon, but I'll keep trying. I'm sure I'll become a fan one of these days.

Some may not agree, but I equate EC 12 with Makers Mark, which is to say I don't really appreciate either one very much and mix 'em with cola. Glad to hear that the EC 18 is different.

jeff
08-15-2008, 17:22
Welcome :toast:

So where are you exactly? I'm in Lexington, but frequently travel to Eastern KY to visit the inlaws.

gothbat
08-15-2008, 18:13
I've not yet found an appreciation for the Manhattan. For now, it's just a waste of good bourbon, but I'll keep trying. I'm sure I'll become a fan one of these days.

I used to feel the same way but then one day I just didn't feel like ordering a glass of straight bourbon so I got a Manhattan instead, just for the hell of it (Well, actually it's probably because I read about them so often on here!), and now I almost always order them when I go out to drink. I'm by no means an expert but it's surprising because from the recipes I've read online the places by me don't even really know how to make Manhattans! Anyway, I'm sure you'll get there. Welcome to SB.

pepcycle
08-15-2008, 19:03
QM

What is that thing you're holding in your avatar??
Looks kind of like a fish, only smaller.

:skep: :skep: :skep:

Quantum Mechanic
08-15-2008, 19:17
I live in West Liberty...lived here all my life except for the 5 I spent at EKU. Where do your inlaws live?

Quantum Mechanic
08-15-2008, 19:35
Ouch, Ed. Making fun of the size of a man's fish is almost as bad as making fun of his...well...truck!

I see how it is...the gloves are coming off, my friend!

That is a 4 pound, 10 ounce largemouth that I caught at Cave Run Lake last summer. It takes me about 20 minutes to get to the nearest boat ramp there.

Soccer? Biking? Are you really an Edwina, Mr. Ed?

pepcycle
08-15-2008, 19:42
Now that I live in NY my freshwater days are over.

I use fish like that for bait!!!!

I've had nigiri bigger than that.

(BTW: My truck's probably bigger than yours too!!)

The stripers are runnin' off the South Shore of Long Island. (The real ones, not those Island of Dr. Moreau Hybrids)

You gotta thow'm back if they're less than 48".

Quantum Mechanic
08-15-2008, 20:36
I'll admit that I've caught the saltwater fishing bug. We only get to the coast one week a year, but I fish all I can from the surf. There is a small reef and a bunch of rocks down the way from where we usually stay (Siesta Key, Fla) and there is pretty good fishing there. I've yet to rent a boat and fish the inlet and bay area, but I'm thinking of trying that next year. Went deep sea fishing, and it was just OK. I like fishing with artificial bait a lot better...more sport in it. I'm takin' my fly rod also next summer...love to use it.

We've got some pretty big freshwater stripers here in KY...Lake Cumberland is famous for them.

Now you start on the truck! Geesh.

pepcycle
08-15-2008, 20:43
The best catch I ever got in Siesta Key was wearin' a halter at the Daquiri Deck.

I knew she was eye'in the bait after her third "Diesel" daquiri.
Daquiri.

Siesta Key is a fine spot to drop a line. Get out and find some grouper, black drum or snook.

BTW: Gas in NY is so expensive, I wish I had an Aveo instead of this Hemi.
(I know, I sound like John Holmes apologizing to a co-starlet)

Quantum Mechanic
08-15-2008, 20:56
A fine establishment, the Daquiri Deck. Me and a couple friends went to siesta village one night. Started there and ended up at the Oyster Bar.

Caught my first snook this summer...lots of fun! I might just switch my avitar to that one. Can't wait to go back next June.

Got a 1500, but no hemi...still only get about 11 MPG.