PDA

View Full Version : Operation Kegerator

SBOmarc
08-20-2008, 14:12
Is now complete. The 7.75 gallon Sierra Neveda Pale Ale is flowing. Will be adjusting the CO2 as the keg cools down.

For you home brewers, how does one go about getting home brew into a keg?

jeff
08-20-2008, 17:18
Is now complete. The 7.75 gallon Sierra Neveda Pale Ale is flowing. Will be adjusting the CO2 as the keg cools down.

For you home brewers, how does one go about getting home brew into a keg?

You open the top and pour it in:lol:

Seriously, I'm not sure how SN kegs work, but most home-brewers are using reconditioned 5-gallon soda kegs. There is an oval lid, with a good sized o-ring, that clamps shut and won't budge when you hit it with some CO2.

I was going to suggest SNPA as a first keg for your keggerator, so nice call. What is your serving pressure?

SBOmarc
08-20-2008, 17:28
Waiting for the temperature to come up, serving at 10 psi. First one is foamy and quick, the second pours are just fine. Still want to add some of my pals home brews and not sure that the 5 gallon will work in this. Waiting for your thoughts.

Thanks Jeff.

DrinkyBanjo
08-21-2008, 06:26
You will need other parts to make it work with home brew. Check out http://www.beveragefactory.com/. That is where I got my conversion Kegerator kit for my fridge. They have the parts to allow you to server home brew.

craigthom
08-21-2008, 20:01
I like a lot of beers, but a keg of SNPA is what I'd pick. Do the quarter barrels have the stripes painted on them, too?

SBOmarc
08-21-2008, 22:55
Yes, the quarter does have the stripes. Enjoying this very much. The test will be over the weekend when people start "dropping" by.

SBOmarc
08-22-2008, 14:08
Have run into CO2 issues. One tank has been lost and I am unable to find the leak after hooking up the second. They are only costing $8 per tank and it's close by, but my wanting to master this operation is driving me crazy.

fishnbowljoe
08-22-2008, 21:16
I'm not familiar with the C02 lines in this particular type of application. But, when I used to bartend, sometimes we had problems with the o-rings on the connector falling out or not seating all the way. Another problem was one of the other bartenders wasn't getting the regulator/line tightened all the way. One trick I learned to clean the connector on the tank, was to open the valve on the tank for just a split second before hooking it up. This will blow out any dirt or debris that might have accumulated. Hope I could be of some help. Good Luck. Joe

SBOmarc
08-25-2008, 12:09
Still working on the leak, but kicked the pony of SNPA and hooked up a Firestone Double Barrel. So far, so good. This beer is getting superior reviews over the SNPA, and I am surprised.

DrinkyBanjo
08-25-2008, 12:43
Are you sure you are really out of gas? I have a 5 LB tank of CO2 and it went down to about 1/2 empty on my first keg (Sam Adams Summer). When I tapped my second (Sam Adams Octoberfest) the pressure went back up again. I also thought I had a leak but apparently this is normal. What I've been told is that it will hang out in the 'middle' and after a when it finally reaches the red you have about 1 keg left. I think 1 5 LB tank should last 10 - 20 1/6 kegs.

Also, did you try the soapy water test to find the leak? I did and didn't see any bubbles which is how I know I really didn't have a problem. Just to be sure when I changed kegs I Teflon taped my gas connections.

SBOmarc
08-25-2008, 12:48
I think I do, If I leave the CO2 on for any length of time, The tank and lines freeze. When I took it to get it re-filled I had the tech verify that it was empty.

Gillman
08-25-2008, 16:53
I thought this variation on the kegerator might be of interest to road-travelling Straightbourbonians, maybe those headed Gazebo-way. :) It seems to cover all the bases. I saw this advertised in a local beer and entertainment magazine and thought it was kind of cool.

http://www.partyacargo.com/index.php

Gary

CorvallisCracker
08-25-2008, 17:27
http://www.partyacargo.com/index.php

Oooo.....

padpadpadpadpadpad

SBOmarc
08-26-2008, 10:15
Thanks for the link Gary. It may be worth looking into for Gazebo trips indeed.

I contacted the manufacturer of my unit and a new regulator will be installed Wednesday, plus a gift card to cover the 2 CO2 tanks it cost me. I was impressed by the response.

DrinkyBanjo
08-26-2008, 11:05
Thanks for the link Gary. It may be worth looking into for Gazebo trips indeed.

I contacted the manufacturer of my unit and a new regulator will be installed Wednesday, plus a gift card to cover the 2 CO2 tanks it cost me. I was impressed by the response.

Where did you get your Kegerator?

SBOmarc
08-26-2008, 11:48
After shopping online and weighing all other factors, I went to BevMo. It is a California Liquor/Beer/Wine superstore.

fishnbowljoe
08-26-2008, 15:25
So I take it that it was a problem with the regulator not seating or just not working properly? Either way, I'm glad you're up and running, or should I say drinking. :drink: Joe

SBOmarc
08-29-2008, 17:17
Coming to the end of the Firestone Double Barrel. Thinking of Pyramid or Blue Moon Hefe for the next move. Any suggestions?

Also, 2 facts have become very clear to me.

1. I am not drinking near as much Bourbon.

2. My house has become a very popular drop in place... who knew?

smokinjoe
08-29-2008, 17:38
Geeze, Marc. I think everybody here knew you were going to be quite the popular hangout, with the Keg going in. :D I was even comparing fares on flights from ATL into Ontario, John Wayne and LAX!

Sounds like you're having a great time. Good for you.

:toast:
JOE

barturtle
08-29-2008, 21:08
I'll suggest something...Ace Pear Cider...loved this stuff on draft when I lived in Phoenix

SBOmarc
08-31-2008, 09:01
We have moved on from the Firestone to Pyramid Hefe. Tasting very fresh.

I need Oranges!!!

spun_cookie
08-31-2008, 09:50
Like to how many kegs you go through in the 1st 6 months and then in the following 6 months.

We went through 4 Kegs of Guinness in the 1st 6, and then 1 over the next 6...

We were going through more Guinness than the pubs around here.. .and it tasted better (poured right)

Phischy
09-04-2008, 14:08
The good thing about swtiching to homebrew is you can fit 3 kegs in that thing.

Here's my homebrew kegerator setup:
http://www.somethingphischybrewing.com/html/kegerator.html

I need to update it as it now has 3 taps and I just had the main photo of it published in Northern Brewer's catalog! Woot! But there's not apic online of it. I have a tap handle stand now behind the tower where all the glasses are in the pics.

Where in SoCal are you? I'm down in San Diego and I'm brewing generally every other weekend. 19 batches so far in '08!

TBoner
09-04-2008, 19:43
Phischy, she's a beauty! My kegerator, as such, is just the old refrigerator we replaced in the spring: room for two kegs, plus three tiers of bottles and the deli drawer for yeast. Hops are in the freezer. Not so pretty as yours, but it works. I do hope to do something more formal down the road. Good-looking setup.

Regards,

Phischy
09-04-2008, 22:01
Thanks, I just got the photo of it all done up with tap stand in the latest Northern Brewer catalog. Woot! I'm going to do a write up and try to get my kegerator and grain mill into Zymurgy. We'll see.

SBOmarc
09-12-2008, 13:20
After kegs of SNPA, Firestone DB, Pyramid and Blue Moon Hefe all in 7.75's, I have decided that Lite Beer from Miller in the full 15.5 gallon was the next step.

It all starts Saturday Night with USC v OSU. It ends with MNF with my Eagles v Dallas. Lots of Sunday ball in between.

Phischy
09-15-2008, 13:52
Gross. You should have added another faucet and run 2 five gallon kegs in there!

but I'm still mad about the Chargers/Denver team. In our hands and taken away...by the refs.

SBOmarc
10-03-2008, 17:48
Sam Adams Lager. Drop on by if you happen to be in the area.

DrinkyBanjo
10-04-2008, 14:09
So far I've had Sam Adams Summer, Sam Adams Octoberfest, and now Victory HopDevil.

If anyone is on the fence about getting a kegerator I highly recommend taking the plunge. The only bad thing is the weight you might put on!

SBOmarc
10-31-2008, 13:58
Sammy left us after almost 2 months. It was the World Series and all the visitors that brought it to it's end.

Tapped a Fat Tire half this morning. Hoping this will last until right before the holidays. As always, stop on by if you are in the area.

DrinkyBanjo
11-03-2008, 07:57
I kicked the HopDevil last weekend and ordered Troegs Hopback Amber but I'm still waiting for it to arrive. It won't be in until Wednesday, sigh. Regardless the next keg will be Sam Adams Winter Lager.

Phischy
11-10-2008, 11:29
I just kegged 2 new beers last night. My first attempt at a Belgian Dark Strong turned out really well @ 10.3% ABV and a Belgian Stout @ 6.6% ABV. Stout tastes like a stout...tad dissappointed as I was expecting some dark fruit flavors to make it more 'belgiany'. I plan to still enter it in a competition but I know it'll get hammered as it 'lacks characterists of a true 'belgian'". Meanwhile, I made it with all european malts/hops/yeast and even added a can of treacle...dammit.

As it stands, I have all 10 kegs full of beer at the moment. Just bought 2 more kegs and I plan to brew 5 more times in '08 to make 30 batches of beer. Plus 3 batches of mead and 2 batches of cider. Tomorrow I plan to make another mead and a cider, then brew this weekend.

DrinkyBanjo
11-10-2008, 11:57
Sounds like you need to have a party!

I tapped my Hopback Amber last week. Nice IPA tasting Amber that is not as extreme as some of the others out there. Very pleasant with a nice hoppy aroma. Once this is done I will go for the Sam Adams Winter and after that a Porter or Stout.

Phischy
11-14-2008, 11:38
Nice. I'm brewing 2 beers this weekend. And get around to working on the mead and cider. By sunday night I should have 4 fermenters bubbling away. I bought a 2nd fridge to use for fermentation control, but ambient air temp is now OK to ferment on the countertop.

So I've already bought a 2nd CO2 tank and tonight I'm swapping out all my kegs to start carbing up 5 new beers. I also need to hit my storage facitily up and pull out the beers that have been aging for 6+ months and get them carb'd up as well.

In 2009 I'll be brewing infrequently since all 12 of my kegs will be full. Just as a replacement basis. At some point I will host a bourbon 'n beer tasting at my place. I need to go hunt down this year's BTAC as well.

SBOmarc
11-19-2008, 09:22
The Fat Tire keg is hanging around nicely. Trying to make this one get us up to Christmas and it seems to be working. Les people popping over and of course getting a job on my part helped.

Looking at an IPA for the holidays.

DrinkyBanjo
01-16-2009, 11:35
The Sam Adams Winter Lager kicked last night, replacing with Smuttynose Robust Porter.

SBOmarc
01-17-2009, 09:23
Have a Sam Adams regular in the kegger. Turned the temp down just a bit to get it colder than I have been running it.

DrinkyBanjo
01-20-2009, 07:19
What made you do that? SA's recommendation on temperature or you thought it'd taste better colder? I had my fridge set at 36 but have raised it to 40. The beers were just too cold, I need them a bit warmer.

SBOmarc
01-20-2009, 07:39
I had been out and had SA at a local bar. It was much crisper and flavorful AND just a bit colder. That's why I did it.

SBOmarc
03-03-2009, 19:20
Longboard Lager. Just a 5 gallon and it was a deal. It won't last too long, looking for suggestions.

DrinkyBanjo
03-04-2009, 07:03
After the Smuttynose Porter I went to Sierra Nevada ESB, I liked it but there was a flavor in it that didn't totally agree with me. Regardless, I kicked that on Saturday and need to pick something up today. Hopefully my local will have something in stock that tickles my fancy, I'm most likely going for Sam Adams Spring. However, I've been on a Belgian kick lately and might try Ommegang Rare Vos.

SBOmarc
09-21-2009, 21:42
We have enjoyed a Sammy Summer and now October Fest.

Next will be a Stone product that has yet to be determined.

DrinkyBanjo
09-22-2009, 05:51
We have enjoyed a Sammy Summer and now October Fest.

Next will be a Stone product that has yet to be determined.

You're lucky, I cannot get Stone kegs around here (NJ). At this point I've tried all of the Sam Adams Seasonals and now I'm working my way through other brands. Here is what I've had thus far, (it's been a good 13 months!). I think my favorite thus far was DFH 60 Minute IPA. Everytime I poured one of those I was so, so happy.

Sam Adams Summer Ale
Sam Adams OctoberFest
Victory HopDevil
Troegs Hopback Amber
Sam Adams Winter Lager
Smuttynose Robust Porter
Sierra Nevada ESB
Sam Adams White Ale
Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA
Smuttynose IPA
Victory Prima Pils
Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale

ODaniel
09-22-2009, 20:17
Got a picture of yours? I built a keggerator for homebrew. I wanted a normal fridge for the freezer on top. I use 5gal soda kegs for my beer. I found a great deal on stout faucets, 2 Guinness, one new and one used, so I picked those up. I don't have a tank of beer gas (75% nitrogen 25% Co2) yet, but should in a few months or so. Then I'll my Stouts will pour like Guinness does on tap... except mine taste way better :D . I had to take the restrictor plates out of the nozzles to use pure CO2. On the inside I have 2 picnic tap lines. When I get the money I will have 4-6 taps on the outside. I can fit 6 5gal kegs inside, but the gas tanks would have to be on the outside. I can't wait to get all 6. FYI, none of those bottles on the shelves are mine. I've lived with 4 girls for the past year. I don't drink Burnetts, haha. I hate clear liquor. I also have zip tied the 2 doors together.

http://surrealstudio.net/Beer/keggerator.jpg

DrinkyBanjo
09-23-2009, 09:39
Got a picture of yours? I built a keggerator for homebrew. I wanted a normal fridge for the freezer on top. I use 5gal soda kegs for my beer. I found a great deal on stout faucets, 2 Guinness, one new and one used, so I picked those up. I don't have a tank of beer gas (75% nitrogen 25% Co2) yet, but should in a few months or so. Then I'll my Stouts will pour like Guinness does on tap... except mine taste way better :D . I had to take the restrictor plates out of the nozzles to use pure CO2. On the inside I have 2 picnic tap lines. When I get the money I will have 4-6 taps on the outside. I can fit 6 5gal kegs inside, but the gas tanks would have to be on the outside. I can't wait to get all 6. FYI, none of those bottles on the shelves are mine. I've lived with 4 girls for the past year. I don't drink Burnetts, haha. I hate clear liquor. I also have zip tied the 2 doors together.

http://surrealstudio.net/Beer/keggerator.jpg

See here: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10238&highlight=kegerator

Phischy
09-30-2009, 11:30
I still serve only homebrew on tap but currently I have a 9mo old USA Barleywine at 9.8%, "The Cosby" an Imperial Pudding Porter at 9.1% (JELLO brand pudding w/ lactose, recipe needs refining) and a cherry bourbon oak aged cider on tap as well. I left it on the wood way too long and the bourbon is very faint.

Mid oct I'm making a fresh press cider run and will ferment out 12 gallons, that I'll play with/oak/fruit etc...

Once the temps get low enough, I"ll be able to hook back up my other 2 taps and have 5 flowing again. Still house hunting so I can build a bar and have 10 taps working. I'm crunched for space!

Phischy
04-06-2010, 10:23
Been awhile since I've posted here. Moved in Dec, finally got a garage and built a new kegerator and I've started collecting wood working tools. Taking classes at Palomar College so my time has become very tight.

Here's the new kegerator:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/__vJD6uEDVIQ/S6ofC_DoLtI/AAAAAAAAAGw/6DTqXwA7jXQ/s400/2010-03-23%2021.40.50.jpg

Color is too orange-ish, it's actually candy apple red. Picked up an old chest freezer on the cheap, built a collar for the taps, bang to fit, paint to match. As much was bought used or I already owned and this thing was still expensive! Holds 9 five gallon kegs and 2 three gallon kegs. Currently have all my big 8%+ ABV beers down in the garage in it, some dating back to '08.

Almost done with the drip tray, got a few more pieces to JB Weld on, yeah, this is a redneck racin' kegerator! Still have 3 taps on in the kitchen and I'm brewin' my summer beers now, 4-5% light and refreshing.

MarkEdwards
04-06-2010, 15:31
Been awhile since I've posted here. Moved in Dec, finally got a garage and built a new kegerator.

Here's the new kegerator:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/__vJD6uEDVIQ/S6ofC_DoLtI/AAAAAAAAAGw/6DTqXwA7jXQ/s400/2010-03-23%2021.40.50.jpg

Point of form - should kegerators have Rally Stripes, stanhdard Go Faster Stripes or Exhaust Pipe flames?
:rolleyes:

Phischy
04-06-2010, 16:04
Point of form - should kegerators have Rally Stripes, stanhdard Go Faster Stripes or Exhaust Pipe flames?
:rolleyes:

It's a box, do whatever you want. Beats looking at a banged up white rusty heap!

pepcycle
04-06-2010, 18:29
I'm a few days away from putting the faucet through the wall of my side by side kegerator.
I working on modifying the freezer side for lagering. I bought a Cornelius Creamer faucet on E-bay for $15 have two 20lb CO2 tanks, regulator, all hoses. the brass faucet will go through the side. Hope to add a second faucet soon. Looking for an antique brass beer faucet.
Just finished off a corny of California Common Ale and have copper ale in primary. Wheat beer this weekend. I will post shots as I go. I'm working on getting some diamond plate aluminum instead of paint. If not diamond, polished aluminum. (anybody got a large road sign?)
BTW. Also looking for a broken chest freezer for another project.

DrinkyBanjo
04-07-2010, 07:16
Here is what I've had in the Kegerator thus far. I must say I am jealous of your homebrewing taps, I'd love to do that one day.

Sam Adams Summer Ale
Sam Adams OctoberFest
Victory HopDevil
Troegs Hopback Amber
Sam Adams Winter Lager
Smuttynose Robust Porter
Sierra Nevada ESB
Sam Adams White Ale
Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA
Smuttynose IPA
Victory Prima Pils
Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
Dogfish Head Chicory Stout
Victory HopDevil
Sierra Nevada Glissade Golden Bock
River Horse Milk Stout

Phischy
04-07-2010, 11:31
I'm not even sure what I have in there, 6 taps are currently hooked up. American barleywine and Old Ale are from '08, HOTD Fred (wood) clone, but I think it probably needs to be dumped as I left the wood chips in there for over a year. A beer I totally screwed up by using cider yeast instead of ale yeast, oops, it's drinkable but not worth repeating. a Belgian dark strong, and I can't remember the 6th. Then 3 kegs of a RIS that is awaiting our bourbon barrel project, got a 55 gal used barrel keg from a brewery so we're going to do our own bourbon beer.

Upstairs is a RIS and another belgian dark strong. In the fermenter is a hoppy beer that'll soon go usptairs, a red ale hopped with columbus this weekend is next in the fermenter. that still leaves open 5 five gallon kegs, I've got 20 of the bastards but I can't recall what's in them unless looking at the brew board. I might get some chalk paint so I can number the taps so people can figure out what's where.

I'd go with all SS if I could, I need to replace 3 shanks though since they were free, but they're chrome. I also need to make another cider.

DrinkyBanjo
04-07-2010, 14:26
I hope you have a lot of help from some good friends to drink all of that!

Phischy
04-08-2010, 09:35
I used to when I lived in the dojo, 3 to 4 people 3 to 4nights a week would keep my then 3 taps nearly dry. via them I brewed a ton (every other weekend) knocking out 30 batches per year for my first two years of all grain brewing. Learned a ton about brewing and my beers became much much better.

However, now I have 10 taps total, and rarely anyone over to drink it! The big beers in the racerator will last a long time, several can easily go to year 3 without going bad. Not all are full, so I've got to start thinking about brewing replacement beers. I've got more cold storage as well, so keepin' the big beers loaded is easy.

Upstairs I plan to put on more sessionable beers and once summer hits I hope to have people over to BBQ etc...Those beers will see more rotation than the garage beers.

Just gotta keep 'em out of my bourbon as well!