PDA

View Full Version : Ohio gal needs advice

thatred1
08-26-2008, 18:18
I'm definitely a dedicated novice, from North Central Ohio; my husband (a single-malt guy) and I are heading for KY this weekend for a mini-bourbon tour. Would appreciate someone sharing the must trys/must buys I can't get in OH. I have tried and enjoyed most of the small batch and single barrel brands OH has to offer. Also have PVW 20 (wow!) and Vintage 17 (off bottle, I think - smells and tastes like nail polish remover) in my very small bunker.

Any and all guidance will be greatly appreciated - thanks!

fishnbowljoe
08-26-2008, 18:58
Hi Jean, Welcome to SB. I like the Weller line of bourbons myself (from Buffalo Trace), especially the Old Weller Antique 107 proof 7 yr. At around $17 or $18 a bottle, it's one of the best bourbon values there is. Another of my favorites is Eagle Rare. (also Buffalo Trace). What tours are you taking this weekend? I highly recommend the Buffalo Trace tour. The tour is excellent. I haven't been on their hard hat tour, but if you can book one of those, I hear it's the best. Some of the folks here have said the Four Roses tour is really good too, but I believe they are on summer shutdown. They still have the tour, but with parts of the distillery closed, it's not as thorough. In the past I would have recommended the Maker's Mark tour, but from what I have read and heard here, the tour guides aren't as knowledgeable as they used to be. Check any of the distillery websites out and give them a call if you have any questions. Just click on the makers link on the main page here at Straight Bourbon for all the distillerys. I hope you and your husband have a good time this weekend. Joe

thatred1
08-26-2008, 19:10
Thanks, Joe! Yes, Buffalo Trace is top of the list. Woodford Reserve and WT, too, if we have time. Four Roses maybe for the visitor center, since it looks like all four of those are fairly close together.

Thanks for the buying advice, too. We made a quick trip to Covington, KY earlier this summer, but I didn't know where to start.

fishnbowljoe
08-26-2008, 19:39
Jean, You might want to browse through some of the different threads here at SB too. It might give you some better choices, and a different take on things than I have. There are some members here from Ohio, and they might be able to give you a better idea as to what's available and where to get it in your area. There are also a couple of places in Chicago that will ship orders. Check out, binnys.com/ and samswine.com/ Good Luck, Joe

spun_cookie
08-26-2008, 21:53
OK, must have on the self for me, if I could only have 20 (alpha order):

Blantons (One of the following - Gold, Silver, Black, Cask, SB, Green)
Eagle Rare 2006
Evan Williams Antebellum (If I could Find it)
Four Roses 40th (i do not like the 120th of 1B or small batch)
Old 80s Cabin Still
Old Fitz, SW from teh 90s or earlier.
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 05
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 07
Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107 or 15/107 if your lucky)
Old Weller Antique
Pappy Van Winkle 15 yr
Pappy Van Winkle 20 yr
Stagg 05 (any)
Stagg 06
Weller Centennial
William Willer 05
William Weller 06
WT Old number 8, 101 proof, 1990 era or 8 yr WT 101 80s or 90s
WT Rare Breed or WT 1855

... and a
Maker's Mark (to keep folks out of the above :D)

bluesbassdad
08-26-2008, 22:03
I'm definitely a dedicated novice, from North Central Ohio; my husband (a single-malt guy) and I are heading for KY this weekend for a mini-bourbon tour. Would appreciate someone sharing the must trys/must buys I can't get in OH. I have tried and enjoyed most of the small batch and single barrel brands OH has to offer. Also have PVW 20 (wow!) and Vintage 17 (off bottle, I think - smells and tastes like nail polish remover) in my very small bunker.

Any and all guidance will be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Welcome TR1!

It would help to know what is available in Ohio. We've had members from OH over the years, and they always lament the limited choices available. However, I don't know that anyone has ever enumerated what the State control folks bring in.

Is there a website that lists what's available?

Even without that I'll make some suggestions. If they are already available in Ohio, so be it.

Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye -- IMO one of the top five (or maybe the top one :grin: ) American whiskeys.

Rock Hill Farms -- Usually priced in the mid-$40s, it's probably not twice as good as several bottlings that sell in the $20s. However, IMO it's also better than any that sell in the $50s and above.

Pappy Van Winkle 15 y/o -- IMO if it and the 20 y/o sold for the same price, it would still outsell the 20 y/o by the same margin as today. (Anything with Van Winkle on the label is worth trying.)

Rittenhouse Rye BIB -- Proof (Ha!) that you don't have to be rich to afford a great rye.

Buffalo Trace -- Even though an occasional bottle is deemed to have too much of a house flavor that some call "musty", this is a must-try bourbon. Try it before you head home, just in case you decide to buy more, which is likely.

Eagle Rare Single Barrel -- To my taste it's the cognac of bourbons. (If you see a dusty bottle of Eagle Rare 101, grab it. It's been discontinued.)

Four Roses (various bottlings) -- I've never tasted one. Some folks here like the Single Barrel bottling a lot.

Wild Turkey 12 y/o -- Another possible "dusty bottle" find. The one bottle I have is the best bourbon I've ever tasted. WT Kentucky Spirit is very good, but in a head-to-head tasting (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12576&highlight=+Super+Bowl+#post12576)it was a distant second to the 12 y/o. Not everyone would agree.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

callmeox
08-26-2008, 22:17
Welcome from one of the other Ohioans here at SB. :cool:

Here's the state price list (updated monthly)

http://www.liquorcontrol.ohio.gov/dolc.liquor.pricelist.txt

The best buys in Ohio are Buffalo Trace, Old Grand Dad BIB and JTS Brown BIB for a regular pour. The Blanton's pricing is OK and the Wild Turkey American Spirit at 89.00 is a decent deal in comparison to other states. Most of the pricing on other stuff is average.

You can call the Ohio Div of Liquor Control in Columbus and as them to check stock for you but be prepared to give them a town or a county of the stores for your area. If you don't find anything that you like in Ohio, Binny's and Sams out of Chicago ship here. You're probably in a 2 day FedEx zone from Chicago.

Happy Hunting!

bluesbassdad
08-26-2008, 22:22
And one more: Assuming your husband is fond of peat, pick up Elijah Craig 18 y/o for him to try. To my taste it has far too much of a good thing, namely barrel-char flavor, in precisely the same way as Laphroig 10 y/o and Lagavulin 16 y/o have too much peat for my taste. (EC 18 y/o bears very little resemblance to the 12 y/o, which I see is available in OH.)

To carry the scotch comparison a bit further, and with greater risk, IMO Highland Park 12 y/o is to scotch as Rock Hill Farms is to bourbon. (Others here would substitute the more expensive Blanton's for RHF. What some call subtlety and complexity strikes me as dull and uninteresting.)

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

bluesbassdad
08-26-2008, 22:29
Welcome from one of the other Ohioans here at SB. :cool:

Here's the state price list (updated monthly)

http://www.liquorcontrol.ohio.gov/dolc.liquor.pricelist.txt

The best buys in Ohio are Buffalo Trace, Old Grand Dad BIB and JTS Brown BIB for a regular pour. The Blanton's pricing is OK and the Wild Turkey American Spirit at 89.00 is a decent deal in comparison to other states. Most of the pricing on other stuff is average.

You can call the Ohio Div of Liquor Control in Columbus and as them to check stock for you but be prepared to give them a town or a county of the stores for your area. If you don't find anything that you like in Ohio, Binny's and Sams out of Chicago ship here. You're probably in a 2 day FedEx zone from Chicago.

Happy Hunting!

Check out listing number 8420B at $49.95!!! :skep: (That's the first price I've seen for this new bottling.)

I think I'll just read Chuck's tasting notes on (RI)1 Rye.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

thatred1
08-27-2008, 07:27
Wow! Thank you all!
I'll be looking fo rthe Weller(s), Elijah Craig 18 yr ( my husband is a peat guy, but he'e willing to have his horizons broadened a little), Rittenhouse Rye BIB, Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye, Rock Hill Farms and Four Roses - at least to start. Thankfully, KY is not too far away . . .

I've read alot of what's posted here at SB. As you all know, it's the best source for any/all bourbon related info. I'll keep reading - I've got a lot to learn! - and I really appreciate the guidance.

CorvallisCracker
08-27-2008, 09:04
I've read alot of what's posted here at SB. As you all know, it's the best source for any/all bourbon related info.

We have encyclopedic knowledge. You just have to ask for it (or be really good at using the search engine).

thatred1
08-27-2008, 09:43
Encyclopedic is right! (I work in a public library, so I know great resources when I see them...)

barturtle
08-27-2008, 09:56
We have encyclopedic knowledge. You just have to ask for it (or be really good at using the search engine).

Problem is...no one has all of the pages:slappin:

cowdery
08-27-2008, 12:53
I have to chime in, if only because I grew up in Mansfield, Ohio, and still consider it home. My dad is still there, as are many cousins and other relatives. I get there a few times a year.

When I was growing up, the State Stores weren't even self-service. The only one was downtown, on the south side of the square. One bottle of each product they sold was behind glass in a case, with a number on it. There was a little counter with little pencils and scraps of paper. You wrote down the numbers of the products you wanted and a civil servant went into the back room to fill your order. It was a big deal for us when they opened one at Johnny Appleseed Shopping Center, next to the bowling alley (it's still there, although I think the bowling alley is not), an even bigger deal when it went self-service.

You definitely should pick up some Four Roses and if you only get one, get the single barrel. Also get the Rittenhouse Rye BIB. Don't worry, it's cheap. Otherwise, just have fun and knock yourself out.

If the store has any special bottlings from Buffalo Trace or Four Roses, or any other distillery, don't hesitate to grab them. They're frequently something special and never worse than the standard bottling of that expression.

If you're just planning to dash across the river to pick up some bourbon, the big stores that are there for that purpose are fine, but if you are going deeper into the state you'll save some money at a Liquor Barn.

As for peat, although something like Elijah Craig 18-year-old has some of the smoke you associate with a peated malt, there's nothing like the iodine taste of peat itself. You'll get smoke in some bourbons, but nothing truly like peat.

thatred1
08-27-2008, 13:19
I have to chime in, if only because I grew up in Mansfield, Ohio, and still consider it home. My dad is still there, as are many cousins and other relatives. I get there a few times a year.

When I was growing up, the State Stores weren't even self-service. The only one was downtown, on the south side of the square. One bottle of each product they sold was behind glass in a case, with a number on it. There was a little counter with little pencils and scraps of paper. You wrote down the numbers of the products you wanted and a civil servant went into the back room to fill your order. It was a big deal for us when they opened one at Johnny Appleseed Shopping Center, next to the bowling alley (it's still there, although I think the bowling alley is not), an even bigger deal when it went self-service.

You definitely should pick up some Four Roses and if you only get one, get the single barrel. Also get the Rittenhouse Rye BIB. Don't worry, it's cheap. Otherwise, just have fun and knock yourself out.

If the store has any special bottlings from Buffalo Trace or Four Roses, or any other distillery, don't hesitate to grab them. They're frequently something special and never worse than the standard bottling of that expression.

If you're just planning to dash across the river to pick up some bourbon, the big stores that are there for that purpose are fine, but if you are going deeper into the state you'll save some money at a Liquor Barn.

As for peat, although something like Elijah Craig 18-year-old has some of the smoke you associate with a peated malt, there's nothing like the iodine taste of peat itself. You'll get smoke in some bourbons, but nothing truly like peat.

Thanks for chiming in, Chuck! I'm not a Mansfield native, but since I've lived here for 23 years, I consider it home too.
I know where that store was located on the south side of the square. The Johnny Appleseed store was purchased by Kroger, in the same strip now. Their selection is pretty good, considering, but I do miss the smaller store.
I'd be honored to meet you, when you do come back home.

Thanks for the guidance - we are going deeper into the state (Frankfort, Lawrenceburg and Louisville) this trip, and I'm hoping to find those special bottlings in addition to the "regular" stuff.

After all these responses, I'm ready to leave today!
Jean

ThomasH
08-27-2008, 13:24
Party Source, located just of I 471 south on state route 8 in Bellvue has some nice barrel purchase bottles from Buffalo Trace and Four Roses. This store has most everything available in Ky!

Thomas

cowdery
08-27-2008, 16:08
Party Source is also a Friend of the Board, if I may be so bold as to declare that (since it's not my board). Jay, their spirits buyer, is a friend of mine anyway. Tell him we said hi.

I had forgotten that Kroger bought out the Johnny Appleseed store. That Kroger's has gotten so big, half of it's in Lexington now. (Local joke, sorry everybody else.)

My earliest childhood was spent in that neighborhood adjacent to the Kroger's, on Curtis Drive. The rest of my childhood was spent within sight of the now-gone Johnny Appleseed Junior High School.

For the rest of you, John "Johnny Appleseed" Chapman was a local hero, spreading the gospel of hard cider and Swedish existentialism from his base there.

thatred1
08-27-2008, 18:16
Yep, half of that Kroger is in Lexington, and uses a different zip code...

I lived within throwing distance of the school you're referring to when I first moved here. Nice neighborhood - but most of Mansfield can fall into that category, compared to many other places.

Re: John Chapman, our local hero - I've had several interesting conversations with folks who prefer to believe in the ultra-wholesome, homogenized image of Johnny giving out apples, rather than the more accurate (I believe) picture of his planting orchards to produce the hard cider our early settlers were more interested in.

Thomas, I have patronized that Party Source store! I didn't know what to look for, but I will now. Thank you.

OscarV
08-28-2008, 14:23
Hmm, seventeen quick resposes to thatred1's original post in a very short time.
Some "newbies" are just lucky I guess....right guys?

thatred1
08-28-2008, 14:33
Hmm, seventeen quick resposes to thatred1's original post in a very short time.
Some "newbies" are just lucky I guess....right guys?
Yes - lucky is right! Lucky to ask the right question of a great group of guys.

Unfortunately, the trip is postponed. I hate to put it so bluntly, but my mother passed away this morning. We'll take the great advice and make the trip at a later date.
Thanks top all of you, again.
Jean

smokinjoe
08-28-2008, 15:57
Jean, so sorry to hear this sad news of the passing of your mother. Please accept my sincerest condolences.

JOE

spun_cookie
08-28-2008, 16:05
Jean,
Very sad to here. All of our hearts go out to you and your family.

Look forward to hearing from you at a later time.

thatred1
08-28-2008, 16:43
Many thanks to all of you. I'll be back in touch later. This is a really special community; I do appreciate your condolences- thanks so very much.

Jean

OscarV
08-28-2008, 17:22
Many thanks to all of you. I'll be back in touch later. This is a really special community; I do appreciate your condolences- thanks so very much.

Jean

Mother passing is a time to drop out for a while,...
I do hope you hook up with us later.

cowdery
08-29-2008, 11:21
Very sorry for your loss.

SBOmarc
08-29-2008, 11:29
Sorry Jean, Promise to come back and tell us all about your Mom, and the trip.

chefmel
08-30-2008, 17:30
Welcome Jean and I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I was recently in the area and have a few suggestions. My first piece of advice is DO NOT buy your bourbon at the distillery's. For some reason, every distillery I visited was more expensive than any liquor store I visited in Bardstown. I visited 4 Roses, HH, WT, and Jim Beam. They were all down for the summer except HH which is in production (according to them) year round. 4 roses is beautiful and very friendly staff and nice selection of items in the gift shop. WT only had tours every 2 hours and I didn't want to wait for over an hour for the next one. Jim Beam was very intersting but you really didn't see anything happening and Heaven Hill had the most expensive gift shop but a nice interactive area and a walk through a rick house! Love that smell!! I agree that a bottle of 4 roses SB is a must have as I don't think they'll be selling it in Ohio until sometime next year. If you get to Bardstown, stop at Toddy's and ask for a small bottle of OC 13yr. It was excellent!!

Mark

craigthom
09-02-2008, 12:38
For some reason, every distillery I visited was more expensive than any liquor store I visited in Bardstown.

It's simply good business: if you undercut your retailers they won't be your retailers for long.

Unless you are constrained by time, and if price is an issue, I'd do my shopping in Louisville, Lexington, or across from Cincinnati over Bardstown. There are more retailers and more customers in those areas, which generally leads to lower prices.

chefmel
09-04-2008, 16:00
It's simply good business: if you undercut your retailers they won't be your retailers for long.

I agree with you to a point. Here's an example. I was at HH Bourbon Heritage center. They had Parker's for $120 a bottle and the tour guide told me it was ONLY available at the distillery. Later that day, I stopped into Toddy's and he had 3 bottles for $85 ea. and offered me one for $77. That's quite a markup as well as a misrepresentation of the facts by the distillery's rep.:bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Cheers!!

Mark

thatred1
10-15-2008, 14:44
I'm going to get to use all - or as many as possible - of the recommendations this weekend. We're taking the postponed trip, beginning tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to putting the great advice to use! And bringing some great bourbon home, of course.

Many thanks, once again, to everyone -
Jean

spun_cookie
10-15-2008, 17:53
Welcome back and have a great time!!!