PDA

View Full Version : Jim Beam Choice?

Martian
08-31-2008, 16:59
Does anyone have an opinion of this bourbon? "It's our only charcoal-filtered Bourbon" according to the Beam web site. Aged 5 yrs. Green label.

spun_cookie
08-31-2008, 17:05
Buy the black 8 yr if you want beam, of for the same price get the EW 7yr black label or the Old Forester.

TBoner
08-31-2008, 18:02
Martian,

I find it pretty bland. It's simpler, IMO, than the 4-yo white label. Not offensive, by any means, but it's just okay. I have found a few dusties - as in late 80s and early 90s, so still not the higher-proof old version - and they're not exceptional or really much different to the current stuff IMO. It's good for mixing, but that's the only way I can really use it up (I have vatted it with some other Beams of various ages to good effect).

Regards,

mozilla
09-01-2008, 07:41
Does anyone have an opinion of this bourbon? "It's our only charcoal-filtered Bourbon" according to the Beam web site. Aged 5 yrs. Green label.

Almost every bourbon on the market is charcoal filtered. While visiting FR, I inquired about this process...was told that it is simply putting some charcoal in the vatting tank and stirring it for a short length of time. And there you have it....Charcoal filtering.

Didn't seen like it really does much, IMO. I think it grabs ahold of a number of small "off" molecules and then is removed. Not a real complex step. I would prefer they not filter bourbon as much as they do.

As far as Beams products go....I don't buy them.

Martian
09-01-2008, 15:26
Thanks for the opinions. I may pass on Beam's Choice.