PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Iowa

p_elliott
09-14-2008, 01:07
Hello been lurking around here for a while had a little trouble getting activated, but been enjoying reading ever ones post. I enjoy bourbon presently been drinking WT101, WTRB, Knob Creek and Booker's but these sites are giving me so many ideas of new bourbons to try. Also ones to avoid that will probably save me some money and grief. I don't talk much so I probably won't post much. Thanks for letting me join in.

ILLfarmboy
09-14-2008, 07:15
Welcome, P_elliott.

Those are all good bourbons you mentioned. Iowa is a control state but judging from what's available just west of the Mississippi River in Davenport, you should be able to get Eagle Rare Single Barrel. That will give you an Idea, through what is referred to as "distillery character", what Buffalo Trace products taste like.

As my user-name indicates, I'm from the Illinois side of the river. What part of Iowa are you from?

fishnbowljoe
09-14-2008, 09:47
Welcome P. There's a wealth of info here. The people are great too. Feel free to post with questions, observations, or whatever, anytime. We're kinda like Motel 6. We'll leave a light on for you.:grin: Joe

mozilla
09-14-2008, 10:43
Welcome P. There's a wealth of info here. The people are great too. Feel free to post with questions, observations, or whatever, anytime. We're kinda like Motel 6. We'll leave a light on for you.:grin: Joe

Nice welcome Joe.

Hey PE,
looks like your making the rounds. Gona get your fill of the bourbon lifestyle. :grin:

You'll find alot more daily bourbon talk here, more than any where else. The group is wonderful at answering questions at any level of bourbonium. So, explore away, good Sir.

bluesbassdad
09-14-2008, 11:17
Welcome, P!

Looking for suggestions, eh? There's an easy way to see what each member recommends. For example start by clicking on "bluesbassdad" in the area to the left of this post. Select "Public Profile" from the drop-down menu. Scroll down to "Recommendations".

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

p_elliott
09-14-2008, 18:34
Welcome, P_elliott.

As my user-name indicates, I'm from the Illinois side of the river. What part of Iowa are you from?

I'm originally from the SE corner of Iowa but now live in SW corner.

Sijan
09-17-2008, 20:05
Welcome!

If you're looking for good affordable bourbon, you may find this thread useful:
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8142

Dr. François
09-22-2008, 18:09
If you're looking for good affordable bourbon, you may find this thread useful:
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8142

"Ooooh...I'm Dan...look how useful I am..."

Shameless self promoter. Like me telling a student: Excellent question, now go buy my book.

Just kidding, Dan. I actually dropped some language from your A-C brief in class the other day. :)

Welcome, P-E. I hope you enjoy your time here as much as we do! Don't forget to try your allegedly local product, Templeton Rye.

p_elliott
09-23-2008, 08:08

Shameless self promoter. Like me telling a student: Excellent question, now go buy my book.

Just kidding, Dan. I actually dropped some language from your A-C brief in class the other day. :)

Welcome, P-E. I hope you enjoy your time here as much as we do! Don't forget to try your allegedly local product, Templeton Rye.

What do you mean by alledegly??? I have a fellow bourbon drinker at work that also likes rye whiskey and he says it's awful.

Dr. François
09-23-2008, 17:36
What do you mean by alledegly??? I have a fellow bourbon drinker at work that also likes rye whiskey and he says it's awful.

Chuck Cowdery summarizes the current controversy over Templeton Rye quite well:

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/search?q=templeton

It seems as though the current Templeton is, indeed, a local product. Otherwise, they're also buying used barrels, re-branding them, and selling them at the gift shop.

Sijan
09-25-2008, 09:53

Hah! Not a lesson in how not to write, I hope?

We law clerks actually have a legal writing training session today, led by a couple of our judges.

p_elliott
01-05-2009, 01:45

Well my wife got got me some Templeton Rye for Christmas not knowing it wasn't bourbon the people at the store told her it was. It is though very good, quiet mild and flavorful for never having a rye whiskey before.

Dr. François
01-06-2009, 08:10
Well my wife got got me some Templeton Rye for Christmas not knowing it wasn't bourbon the people at the store told her it was.

Not to worry. When I ask a waitress here in MI, "What Bourbons do you have?," I usually get the answer, "we got Jack, Crown, Johnnie Walker, Beam, and Capt. Morgan's." I just smile and nod. Then order a beer.

Most retailers seem interested in moving product, not learning about it. Those few retailers who actually take the time to learn and appreciate deserve our business.

funknik
01-06-2009, 08:29
Not to worry. When I ask a waitress here in MI, "What Bourbons do you have?," I usually get the answer, "we got Jack, Crown, Johnnie Walker, Beam, and Capt. Morgan's." I just smile and nod. Then order a beer.

Most retailers seem interested in moving product, not learning about it. Those few retailers who actually take the time to learn and appreciate deserve our business.
Capt'n, huh? That's pretty far off base.....pegleg whiskey....Arrr, Matey.

OscarV
01-06-2009, 08:57
Not to worry. When I ask a waitress here in MI, "What Bourbons do you have?," I usually get the answer, "we got Jack, Crown, Johnnie Walker, Beam, and Capt. Morgan's."

Capt'n, huh? That's pretty far off base.

yeah, sounds weird but it's true.
Johnnie Walker, Jack Daniels, etc.
I even had a waitress say they had a bourbon called Dewar's.

funknik
01-06-2009, 09:04
yeah, sounds weird but it's true.
Johnnie Walker, Jack Daniels, etc.
I even had a waitress say they had a bourbon called Dewar's.
at least that stuff is whiskey, tho.

Dr. François
01-07-2009, 07:55
Capt'n, huh? That's pretty far off base.....pegleg whiskey....Arrr, Matey.

Yeah, well, at least she was cute. I think the waitress was just listing everything brown behind the bar.

ILLfarmboy
01-08-2009, 13:12
.. I think the waitress was just listing everything brown behind the bar.

I have had that happen before. Chain restaurants and young female bartenders make for a bad combination in this regard.