PDA

View Full Version : Auchentoshan New Product Range

Glen Mhor
09-18-2008, 17:15
Auchentoshan Distillery – home to Scotland’s triple distilled single malt whisky – is extending its premium product range and unveiling a stylish new look. The 10 Year-Old is being replaced by a 12 Year-Old and an 18 Year-Old expression has been added to the range.

Guess what i bought straight away upon getting this news?.....yes, you guessed rightly.....i bought the old Auchentoshan 10 year old (it is/will be discontinued) and the 18 year old straight away. I think their new labels are to modern only because i like the old world look.

If anyone can find links and photos of the new product range please post them here or provide a link.

It is after all a perfect day !

Glen Mhor

Glen Mhor
09-18-2008, 17:32
I found a link of the new range!

http://www.whiskygrotto.com/2008/06/12/pearls-and-contemporary-design-when-auchentoshan-revamps-their-bottles-and-packaging/

Vange
09-19-2008, 12:34
It looks exactly like what Highland Park did.

Lost Pollito
09-30-2008, 17:22
Did you get to try any yet? I'll be tasting a ton of them tomorrow.

Gillman
09-30-2008, 20:24
This is interesting. Being triple distilled in the Lowlands style, I wonder if these higher ages suit Auchentoshan.

Gary

boss302
09-30-2008, 23:27
This is interesting. Being triple distilled in the Lowlands style, I wonder if these higher ages suit Auchentoshan.

Gary

Bushmills' single malts are aged up to 21 years (along with 10-year and 16-year expressions). They are also triple-distilled, and I believe the 21-year held up very well to such a long period of maturation.

Lost Pollito
10-01-2008, 11:07
Well....I'm tasting the whole line tonight at work, and will post some thoughts on Friday.

Gillman
10-01-2008, 13:35
It is true that Bushmills is distilled three times but (in my experience) Auchentoshan is a much milder malt. Jameson's pure pot still whisky is also triple-distilled but it retains a considerable oily character - even more so than Bushmills - that can be modified by long aging.

Gary

Gillman
10-01-2008, 13:38
I now think that maybe for the period past 8 years or so the distillery might put the whisky is heavily resused barrels, to ensure distillery character is not effaced by the extra years. Or perhaps not, but I was just wondering..

Gary

AVB
10-01-2008, 13:53
I reviewed the 21 back in 2004 here (http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8561) and thought the 3 wood was a better deal.

Also, while Irish whiskey is mostly triple distilled it is unusual now for scotch.....not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Gary

Gillman
10-01-2008, 14:34
No I think it is because Lowlands malts are triple-distilled. So it is a fair question I think as to why Bushmills is regularly sold at advanced ages yet I was suggesting Auchentoshan perhaps wouldn't stand up to it. But the answer may be, i) Auchentoshan is much milder to start with than these Irish whiskies, ii) perhaps the extra aging given - if extra it is - doesn't add that much because barrels might be used at that stage which have reduced impact on the spirit.

Gary

Lost Pollito
10-03-2008, 09:48
Alright, I got to taste the new line and was quite happy with how the whiskey stood up to the age. I agree that the 3 wood is the best bang for your buck. However, the 18 and 21 aren't outrageous. I found that the subtle flavors remained and were not overpowered by the wood. I found the 18 had very nice legs and a beautiful golden color. The nose was quite nice. A little spirity, but that gave way to a sprite sherbert and orchard fruits. Nice and fat on the tongue with a long finish. Tasting bourbon , maybe red licorice, perhaps some honey with the orchard fruits...apples and pears mainly. A very pleasant dram.
The 21 was perhaps a touch smoother and very easy to drink. Still had great legs and a golden hue. I got some nuts, caramel, bourbon, vanilla and honey. Perhaps a touch of parafin...but in a good way. Another very long finish, but with a little twist of oak. For a hundred dollars less, The Classic could be considerred quite a bargain. Classic is aged in first fill bourbon barrels from Heaven Hill. So, plenty of that terrific bourbon vanilla flavor, along with frsh cuc, heather and honey. Lite and easy.
The 12 is replacing the 10 and perhaps shows Auchentoshan at one of its more ideal ages. Lots of subtle flavors. Including candy corn of all things. Orchard fruits and honey. . The three wood is the same age...12yo, but the 2 years in sherry really helps out. 10 years in bourbon , 1 1/2 years in Oloroso , and 6 months in Pedro X. This brought out some dark fruits... fig. caramel, and a pleasant dose of sherry.
All and all, this is a nice new line for Auchentoshan. Considerable effort has been put in to the wood management program, and we're now seeing some of the results. Many thanks to Jamie Mckinzie for leading the tasting and even cracking open up some new make from both Bowmore and Auchentoshan. He even gave us a taste of White Bowmore. I'll be purchasing a 3 wood soon.

Stu
10-04-2008, 14:54
LP

Great review, I can't wait to try some. Unfortunately I'll have to wait until I get to a location that has some.

PAspirit1
10-04-2008, 19:09
Auchentoshan select is pretty cheap where I live. I was close to buying a bottle after I read the good reviews in Whiskey Mag. The tripple distillation gives me pause as I am not a huge fan or Irish whiskey.