PDA

View Full Version : Hello SB from CT

chefnash51
09-23-2008, 08:05
I just started getting into Bourbon and thought I would into myself. Great site indeed, and very informative.

As you can see from the posted pic, I have been into aging/cellaring beer for sometime, but bourbon has caught my interest. Not a very easy subject with the wife though, as it took her some time to get used to the beer cellar, and she freaked when I came home with a bottle of bourbon.

Bought my first bottle the other week (EWSB 1998) and enjoyed it, but I was lucky to find VWFR 12 Lot B and that was stellar. I also picked up some EC12, but have yet to open.

Mucho thanks for the Affordable bourbons for beginners thread. Here are ones that I am looking to try soon:

Elmer T Lee
Anything Van Winkle - but looking forward to 15 coming out soon. (side note - I found a bottle of 20, but @ $87 - I am too new to justify) - wish I could find some ORVW 10/90.
Buffalo Trace
Old Grand Dad BIB
Wild Turkey 101
Woodford Reserve - (but I have heard mixed things about)

Question - what are some easy to find and 20 - 30 dollar price range wheaters.. if any? ORVW 10/90 is, but I have yet to see any.

Second question is more site related. Is there any reason why there isn't a review section on this site? I am a frequent poster on BeerAdvocate.com and the review section is prob the most resourceful.

I know there are some reviews, but I mean I envisioned a section broken out by distilleries>brands>reviews where everyone can post a review- denoting points towards characteristics.

example -
Distiller > Buffalo Trace > Brand > ORVW 10/90
Score: 4.7
Review:
Appearance: 4
Nose: 5
Taste: 5
Mouth feel: 4.5
Drink ability: 5

Then a free form text review. Even adding a price paid and place purchased. Wouldn't this be considered beneficial?

I am not attacking this site in any way, just want to understand if there is a specific reason there isn't a review section. Anyways - Glad to be here!

- Kevin

mozilla
09-23-2008, 08:33
Welcome to the Board!

There are lots of ways to get a review out of a post...we are just a little more free form here at SB. If you do a search on a specific label...there should return lots of post. For example try...." Old Charter " ....with the quotes and spaces. 427 threads come up with OC in them. I think you can go advanced and further specify options.

Anyway....hope you enjoy your time here and explore the wealth of knowledge that resides here.

Cheers!

gblick
09-23-2008, 11:46
Question - what are some easy to find and 20 - 30 dollar price range wheaters.. if any? ORVW 10/90 is, but I have yet to see any.Wellers, in order of (my) preference:
Weller Antique 107
Weller Centennial
Weller 12
Weller Special Reserve

I recommend the ORVW 10/107 over their 10/90, well worth the few dollars more that it costs.

chefnash51
09-23-2008, 14:44
Wellers, in order of (my) preference:
Weller Antique 107
Weller Centennial
Weller 12
Weller Special Reserve

I recommend the ORVW 10/107 over their 10/90, well worth the few dollars more that it costs.

nice - I will look for Weller to see what I can get, also for the ORVW/107

I decided to go and pick up the PVW 20 after work. I found it for $87, and I figure the next batch might cost a lot more. Can't wait to try it later tonight!

Sijan
09-25-2008, 08:56
What did you think of the Pappy 20?

I also would recommend the ORVW 10/107 if you can find it.

OGD BIB & WT101 are my two favorite classic budget bourbons, although I also like Jim Beam Black quite a bit.

If you can find Rittenhouse Rye, grab a bottle. Great value.

fishnbowljoe
09-25-2008, 14:14
Welcome Kevin, Looks like you already have a pretty good start with the bourbons you have. Hope you enjoy it here. Lots of fun and information. The best thing about this site is the people. There's always someone who can help with some info, recommendations, or answer almost any question. Joe

chefnash51
09-26-2008, 13:38
Ok.. so I havn't opened the PVW 20 yet. I am enjoying the heck out of the Lob B though. Went back and grabbed the last 3 I found in stock.

I did also find some Weller 7 yr - Antique and Special Reserve. But I had to hold off....what with buying three vwsr 12 Lot b. They had plenty of weller in stock, so I know I will be back.

great bourbon. great site.

pepcycle
09-26-2008, 14:44
Chefnash,
I don't understand why your wife would freak about bringing home bourbon.
Tell her to think of it as beer concentrate.
All three of those shelves of beer will fit in one case of bourbon.

Now, at my house, The Patty freaked when I tried to store her in the basement and the bourbon was in the bedroom. (The bourbon doesn't tell me my arm is on her side of the bed)

As to the rating you suggest, I recommended a sort of flavor profile, kind of like a graph. The wave form would give you an idea of wood character, sweetness, rye etc.

It didn't get anywhere, but I still like the Idea.

(PS: The line about The Patty being relegated to the basement is complete BS. She'd kick my ass from here to Tuesday if I stored bourbon in the bedroom. If I had one)

pepcycle
09-26-2008, 15:33
Here's an actual graph that I posted on this site in 2004.

barturtle
09-26-2008, 16:23
Here's an actual graph that I posted on this site in 2004.

See now, Ed, that kind of stuff is just excessive...I mean, it's one thing to have a game where you put up random tasting notes and expect people to actually guess what it is (sometimes even on the first try), but to chart out things...tisk, tisk:slappin:

spun_cookie
09-26-2008, 21:09
Welcome.... Look for some older wild Turkey old #8s and 8yr for arounf $20... It will give you a taste of higher $ bourbon at a lower cost...