PDA

View Full Version : Sam Adams Now the Largest American Owned brewery!

dave ziegler
09-25-2008, 07:28
Well Since Bud was bought out Sam Adams is Now the Largest American owned brewer in America and Yuengling is Number two. I was first told this by the tour guide at Yuengling the other week when I went on a vacation day to see them caning Beer. Because City Brew makes other things on contract besides Beer It gives Yuengling the Number two status. Speaking of Beer How many have had the Sam Adams Black Lager It is wonderful looks like Porter but tastes like Lager beer with a slight Sweetness. it is very Balenced and For the Most part it is Hard to beat sam Adams products!
Wondering If Gary or any of you have tried this Black Lager Beer?
Dave Z
Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food
---------------------------------------------

Gillman
09-25-2008, 07:52
I have Dave and it is very good. I like most of the Sam Adams products, recently in Cinci (where they brew them amongst other places) I had their Stock Ale and Oktoberfest beers which were excellent. The lager is made from an authentic 1800's recipe used by Jim Koch's ancestor.

Gary

Attila
09-25-2008, 08:38
Well Since Bud was bought out Sam Adams is Now the Largest American owned brewer in America and Yuengling is Number two. ---------------------------------------------

I thought Sam Adams was a listed company. Doesn't that mean it is owned by a vast array of annonymous shareholders of an assumably wide variety of countries?

Rughi
09-25-2008, 08:48
With the same logic that Chuck Cowdery has used to try to cast doubt on every bourbon producer who hasn't proven the provenance of their whiskey to his satisfaction, Sam Adams is probably _not_ the largest brewer in the country, but may indeed be the largest American Owned SELLER of beer.

If their business model has remained the same as it was when I paid attention to such things, they have the one small brewery in Massachussetts where all the R&D happens, and contract brew the vast majority of their beer around the country. G Heilemann used to be the largest player in contract brewing and may still be.

There's nothing wrong with contract brewing in terms of the juice in the bottle, as G Heilemann probably has/had as good of equipment, skilled personnel and quality control as any other.

But I would guess that there may be some formerly "micro" breweries that actually _make_ more beer than Sam Adams. If Sierra Nevada is American owned, maybe it's them. If Redhook weren't partly owned by Bud (which I believe they are) it might be them. Perhaps Red Tail. But I suspect it isn't Sam Adams.

Roger

barturtle
09-25-2008, 09:23
A quick check (Wikipedia) shows that Sam Adams/Boston Beer Co. brews 60% of its 1.3M barrels in its own brewery in Cincy for a total of ~760K barrels edging out Seirra Nevada by ~80K. New Belgium is third according to this list of Craft Brewers (http://www.beertown.org/pr/pdf/2007Top50Release.pdf) at ~430K. Where the "mass market" brewers such as Pabst (all contract brewed, but domestically owned), Yuengling and others fall, I have no idea.

Gillman
09-25-2008, 09:24
Boston Beer Company does own a sizable brewery in Cincinnati.

Gary

dave ziegler
09-25-2008, 09:38
With the same logic that Chuck Cowdery has used to try to cast doubt on every bourbon producer who hasn't proven the provenance of their whiskey to his satisfaction, Sam Adams is probably _not_ the largest brewer in the country, but may indeed be the largest American Owned SELLER of beer.

If their business model has remained the same as it was when I paid attention to such things, they have the one small brewery in Massachussetts where all the R&D happens, and contract brew the vast majority of their beer around the country. G Heilemann used to be the largest player in contract brewing and may still be.

There's nothing wrong with contract brewing in terms of the juice in the bottle, as G Heilemann probably has/had as good of equipment, skilled personnel and quality control as any other.

But I would guess that there may be some formerly "micro" breweries that actually _make_ more beer than Sam Adams. If Sierra Nevada is American owned, maybe it's them. If Redhook weren't partly owned by Bud (which I believe they are) it might be them. Perhaps Red Tail. But I suspect it isn't Sam Adams.

Roger
Just A quick Note Sam Adams has just bought the old Schaefer Brewery in the Lehigh Valley Rt 100 & I - 78 and has spent 50 Million redoing it and upgrading and Has reopened it I think in Mid July and per Jim Koch's Orders has Hired 200 Former Brewery People that worked there when it was running back then to their old Jobs! From What I have read they now can make 1.6 Million barrels a year. May Be wrong but from what I read online in the local News Paper that is what they said. It delights me to see another Large Brewing Company back in Pa. And also that the good Hard working People of the Lehigh Valley get their Jobs back. The Paper stated that Jim Koch wanted the expericnce they had back in the brewery to insure a great product. To Me a smart Move by a Very Smart Man.
Dave Z
Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food
-------------------------------------------

jesskidden
09-25-2008, 09:58

Heileman went out of business in 1995 (some brands and breweries were bought by Stroh, which closed shop 4 years later) and a new company, City Brewing Co., now runs the formerly headquarter brewery in Wisconsin.

As others have noted, Boston Beer Co. now owns the former Schoenling brewery, bought from the then-owners of the Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co. in the late 90's.

Recent BBC annual reports have noted that the percentage of beer brewed in Cincinnati is less than 50% (a few years ago, they were indeed predicting the 60% figure- but despite expansion, they've never seemed to reach that amount). The contract brewers who currently also make the Sam Adams brands include High Falls (Genesee), the City-Latrobe facility (formerly Rolling Rock) and Miller breweries (in particular, the NC one). Some BBC products are also made in the City-Lacrosse site, but by the way reports are worded, it's probably just the "Twisted Tea" and/or their hard cider (name?) brands.

As Dave notes, they are bringing the former Schaefer brewery in PA. online. That brewery was expanded several times in the 1970's after Schaefer opened it- some reports from that era say it had a total capacity of 5 million barrels. Indeed, Schaefer brewed and sold close to 4 million barrels of beer in the late 1970's IIRC- after they'd closed all their other plants (Brooklyn, Baltimore, Albany) and before Stroh bought the brewery.

Rughi
09-25-2008, 10:03
It's great that Adams has secured their position by buying their manufacturing plants. I liked their beer okay either way.

Gillman
09-25-2008, 10:26
Jess, when did Stroh close the Schaefer Lehigh brewery?

Gary

dave ziegler
09-25-2008, 10:33
Gary I Think it was in 2001 but lets see what Jess knows as he knows more about this stuff then I do.
Dave Z
Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
----------------------------------------------

Gillman
09-25-2008, 10:34
Interesting that a plant some 7-8 years old can be returned to production, must have been mothballed well.

Gary

dave ziegler
09-25-2008, 10:44
I am not so sure it was just sitting all the time as I had been told someone was using it to make some Hard Lemonaid at one time renting I guess with a small amount of people, not sure but someone had said that but it did sit a good bit also from what I have heard, it is only about 35 miles from where I live a giant modern plant in its day I remember it well having driven by there back in the Schaefer days a giant Plant along I-78. Hopefully Jess can fill in the Blanks for Us Gary! I am very Glad to see Sam Adams get it going again brewing Beer with the 50 Mil they put in it should be a very Modern place! And 200 good people working at the trade they Love.
Dave Z

jesskidden
09-25-2008, 10:45
Jess, when did Stroh close the Schaefer Lehigh brewery?

Gary

When, in 1999, Stroh closed, and Pabst and Miller divided up the brands, Pabst also bought that former Schaefer brewery (since, at the time, the only other brewery they still owned and operated was the Pearl Texas brewery and even then most of their beers were being contracted out to Heileman>Stroh).

They only operated that brewery for a couple of years (until Miller took over the brewing of most of their beers) and then sold it to Diageo in 2001. Diageo only used it to make and bottle their alco-pop line and the brewhouse was, indeed, mothballed. Boston bought the brewery from Diageo and, as Dave notes, Koch has praised the workers he's re-hired, who had brewed beer at the brewery for Schaefer-Stroh-Pabst and, in at least one article, specifically mentioned the great job they did when the "retired" the brewhouse and how they themselves did it in hopes that they would brew beer again at the plant.

dave ziegler
09-25-2008, 10:49
Thanks Jess That is great knew you could tell us! I have always heard the People that worked there were very good people and you have proved that with your Information!
Dave Z

jesskidden
09-25-2008, 10:58
Oh, yeah, Gary, one more interesting fact re: the short time that Pabst owned the Allentown area brewery is that it was the source of Ballantine XXX Ale during that period (and, IIRC, it was one of the nicer versions of the beer- a LOT better than the sad imitation that Miller's making). And it was also brewed the "closest" geographically to it's old Newark home- just 75 miles or so west on Interstate 78...

Gillman
09-25-2008, 11:39
Right, thanks, haven't forgotten the link to Ballanatine!

Gary

Slob
09-25-2008, 11:46
Is Boston Brewery bigger than the Pabst/Stroh conglomeration?

barturtle
09-25-2008, 11:58
In 2007 Pabst sold 6.1M barrels; Boston Brewing, 1.3...it's not even close as far as sales. But Pabst brews zero of those barrels it sells.

Jono
09-25-2008, 13:55
Thank Sam Adams for spurring a return to quality product and making the beer industry that much more interesting and enjoyable.

craigthom
09-25-2008, 18:06
The current Pabst Brewing Company adopted the name after the bought the brand. They already had already swallowed several breweries. They switched to the more famous name when they bought the brand, as Nations Bank did when they bought Bank of America, and SBC did when they bought AT&T. Well, something like that. As noted previously, they don't actually brew any beer now, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm still a huge fan of Sierra Nevada, although I admit that my taste and preferences have moved away from their beer a bit. I like bolder, hoppier beers, and I try to buy as locally as possible. SNPA still my go-to when I am faced with limited options.

Even though they are a big brewer (fourth largest in the country), they still just have the one facility. Their tour, unlike tours of other big breweries, is all about the beer. They continue to experiment with new beers, although few of those leave northern California, and a few never leave Chico.

When I visited a couple of years ago my sampler at the restaurant/bar was eighteen different beers.

Slob
09-25-2008, 21:33
Has anyone tried the new Schlitz? Apparently they've relaunched it using the 60's formula. It has yet to hit shelves in New York.

gr8erdane
09-25-2008, 22:41
I've seen old brands Schlitz, Falstaff and Stag from time to time but haven't been even mildly interested in buying any of them to see if they were like their predecessors. I only drank those brands in taverns where they were all that was offered. An old Mizzou haunt that is only alive in legends now, The Shack, offered Schlitz and Stag only in the old paper cartons with the plastic clip. Many a Mizzou Homecoming and Greek Week parade float was designed in the old booths covered with carved names while sipping on these two nostalgic former giants of the American beer industry. Many by myself.