PDA

View Full Version : Chicago, Willetts, Binny's, Manny's and Chuck

OscarV
10-05-2008, 03:34
Earlier this week I got hit with some White-Line Fever so a road trip to Chicago I felt would be in order for Saturday.
I called Binny's to see if they still had any Willetts 27yo, yes they did.
Called Tony to see if he wanted one, yes he did.
E-mailed Mr. Cowdery to see if he wanted to meet for lunch, yes, and he had a spot picked out.

Smooth ride to Chi-Town, beautiful day, state police in unmarked Mustangs never caught me.
Was to meet Chuck at Binny's at 10:30 but I rolled into town early so I went across the street to Manny's for a bagel and coffee.
Chuck suggested this place for lunch, it is an old cafeteria/delicatessen, nice funky urban feel with hearty mid-west-USA/eastern-Europe food.
Chuck said police and firemen hung out there.
Close to where I was sitting a table with five guys were talking it up pretty good, they must have been police, I did not hear the beginning of the story but I heard one guy say, "...and this was from a guy who shot his partner!" and they erupted in laughter.

Went over to Binny's and Chuck showed, it is always nice to see SB.com people, we checked out the bourbon selection and the rest of the spirits.
Good prices compared to MI. Pappy 15yo $49, $65 in MI.
Some higher compared to KY. Four Roses Single Barrel $37, $29 in KY.
I got my stuff, Willetts 27yo, Weller 12yo Binny's bottle, and one each of the FRSB Binny's bottles, #1, #2, and #3.
Asked for Tony's order but he did not have one, I called him, no answer, left a message, "Dog I'll check for your order later."

Now I'm hungy we went to Manny's and this is the place to go if you are hungry, the corn beef sandwich had so much meat on it that you could have made three sandwiches out of it.

OK now, back to Binny's, I got Tony's order which was the same as mine minus the Weller's.
Joe or was it John, I don't remember, who I picked it up from let me check out some samples of the Willetts.
One was the 25yo that got sent to California, I smelled it and the sensation was like biting into a Hershey chocolate bar, I have never been so over whelmed with chocolate.
Hmmm,....road trip to Cali next Saturday?

mozilla
10-05-2008, 07:17
That's a fun story, Oscar. Thanks for the review....how do I get my hands on one of those sandwiches....it sounded great. My mouth is watering just hearing about the triple meat corned beef.

Dr. François
10-05-2008, 09:43
Great post, Oscar. Thanks for narrating the adventure.

spun_cookie
10-05-2008, 12:49
Great post Oscar... you will like the 27 r, but I am not sure you will find the 25yr in Cali any longer... it is gone as far as I can tell.

There may be some around in randome BevMos, but on their main site... no dice (just checked for Birdman).

They do have anothr Willett though.. $49 a bottle.. not sure the story on that one yet though...

I had planned on sending Tony 50 ml of the 6, 7, and 25 yr Willett plus 02 and 03 stagg... you will have to head over (I know it is a hard thing to do :D) and do a Willett Verticle.... The 6 & 7 yr are good as well. Full of peanuts... sounds strage, but they are both very good....

cowdery
10-05-2008, 17:36
It was great to see Oscar. I passed on the Willet's but picked up a 4R1B, barrel #3, a Lot B, and a Bernheim Wheat (reduced from $45.99 to $40.99).

More importantly, I had the pastrami, which is made there (as is the corned beef) and to die for. Sandwiches come with two pickle spears and a latke.

Manny's also is a popular site for Democratic Party fundraisers. There was a picture behind the cash register of the next President of the United States photographed at one such event.

That was my first visit to the Jefferson Street Binny's. It's just off the expressway and a spectacular store, well worth a visit, and right across the street from Manny's.

callmeox
10-05-2008, 17:38
The tasting room and the specialty spirits room (i.e. really expensive stuff) make the trip to the South Loop store worth the time.

For those who are familiar with the movie Clerks, remember when Randall went to get a movie at Big Choice Video? On my first visit to Binny's this past spring, I dropped to my knees with my arms raised at my sides when I got to the top of the escalator.

cowdery
10-05-2008, 17:44
They do a good job of keeping the drool marks cleaned off the glass exterior of the locked specialty room. The tasting room is indistinguishable from a full bar. It even has ample seating.

One way Binny's beats Sam's, and improved on Zimmerman's, which is one of the stores that was merged with others to form Binny's, is that it has more of a store-store than a warehouse-store atmosphere. Especially since you pay no more, the nicer atmosphere is nice. I also don't know how they compare to the flagship Sam's in terms of floor space--Sam's probably is bigger--but the Jefferson Street store has gone a long way toward narrowing that gap with Sam's.

I still love them both, but Binny's has really closed the gap.

bluesbassdad
10-05-2008, 17:45
[snip]
Manny's also is a popular site for Democratic Party fundraisers. There was a picture behind the cash register of the next President of the United States photographed at one such event.
[snip]

Chuck,

That is a very bold statement.

I couldn't decide which of the following rejoinders to present.

When was he ever a Democrat?
For all you know a crazed, bankrupt investor may arrange for Dick Cheney to assume that role.Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

cowdery
10-05-2008, 17:50
I'm feeling pretty confident about the man in the picture at Manny's.

bluesbassdad
10-05-2008, 18:01
I'm feeling pretty confident about the man in the picture at Manny's.

I believe I went on record to that effect a few months back. I can't use the search function to find the relevant post, but I recall using the words "magic in the air" in response to one of your posts.

Until the credit mess surfaced, I thought the gap was narrowing. Now, right or wrong, swing voters will hold McCain responsible for their fear and hardships.

I've started to think about whom to support in 2012.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

cowdery
10-05-2008, 18:19
Credit where credit is due, Dave. I recall your early predicition.

You also have to admit that most of the moves the McCain campaign has made haven't helped them, especially with swing voters. It's not just circumstances or "magic in the air." McCain has also sucked.

bluesbassdad
10-05-2008, 18:41
At no time has he reminded me of Ronald Reagan, which for me is a bad thing.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

SBOmarc
10-06-2008, 10:36
If you are looking at Electoral College math, this race is still a contest only to those that refuse to see reality.

John McCain has a serious math problem.

OscarV
10-06-2008, 15:29
That's a fun story, Oscar.

Great post, Oscar. Thanks for narrating the adventure.

Great post Oscar...

It was great to see Oscar.

The tasting room and the specialty spirits room (i.e. really expensive stuff) make the trip to the South Loop store worth the time.

:toast: Thanks for the kind words guys and great replys with on-topic posts. I'll raise one to ya'll later.:cool:

Hey SBOmarc maybe he'll get one of those new fangled calculator gadgets for X-mas.:grin:
Opps, now I am off topic.

SBOmarc
10-06-2008, 15:35
Wish I could get one of those sandwiches out here Oscar. I haven't seen anything close to that since leaving Philadelphia 30 years ago.

OscarV
11-22-2008, 05:32
It was great to see Oscar. I passed on the Willet's but picked up a 4R1B, barrel #3, a Lot B, and a Bernheim Wheat (reduced from $45.99 to $40.99).

More importantly, I had the pastrami, which is made there (as is the corned beef) and to die for. Sandwiches come with two pickle spears and a latke.

That was my first visit to the Jefferson Street Binny's. It's just off the expressway and a spectacular store, well worth a visit, and right across the street from Manny's.

Hey Chuck, where did you have lunch yesterday?

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/11/obama-lunches-at-mannys.html

The link above has the story and a 10 minute video of Obama at Manny's.
Below are a couple of pics.
Obama picked up some corned beef sandwiches and cherry pies.
It is pretty cool seeing him there after the visit I made a last month.

Lost Pollito
11-22-2008, 09:06
I'm hopin' next time He hits Manny's, He'll come across the street and let me sale him some Bourbon. ( Fingers Crossed)

cowdery
11-22-2008, 12:02
The day we were there, we noticed a picture behind the counter of the president-elect with the Manny's crew, taken years ago, at some fundraiser he had there.

Manny's is one block away from the Fire Department training center and a couple of blocks away from the Police Department training center. It has long been frequented by cops, firemen, and other city workers, including aldermen and other politicians. Many political fundraisers are held there.

But I've always gone for the food. The PE got corned beef, with a potato pancake and pickle wedge ($11.95). He got three, to go, and one slice of cherry pie. I usually have the pastrami. Manny's makes their own corned beef, pastrami, brisket, etc.

It's meat you can believe in.

Lost Pollito
11-22-2008, 16:37
The Fire Academy is where the Great Chicago Fire started, and one block over is where we have the famous Maxwell street market. You guys should've seen the tour de force with wich the PE roles. Impressive.

cas
11-23-2008, 07:27
Mannys sounds like it's worth a visit. I'll be in the area just after Christmas to visit the in-laws - where is this located?
Craig

OscarV
11-23-2008, 08:09
Craig, click below.

http://www.mannysdeli.com

Plenty of parking in the rear.

Also remember that Binny's is across the street.

callmeox
11-23-2008, 08:46
Jefferson Street, just north of Roosevelt, two blocks east of the Dan Ryan expressway.

Or

Across the street from Binny's South Loop location. :grin:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=manny's+deli+chicago&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.368578,70.224609&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=41.868706,-87.643111&spn=0.004354,0.008572&z=17&iwloc=A

fishnbowljoe
11-23-2008, 09:27
I ate at Manny's yesterday with a friend, and Tom H and his wife Barb. We were taking a break from shopping at Binny's. I had the roast beef sandwich. I'm not a small guy, and it took a little effort to finish mine. Good sandwich, great portion. The potato pancake was good too. Took one back for Joe (Lost Pollito) Good times. Joe

cowdery
11-23-2008, 19:48
The Fire Academy is where the Great Chicago Fire started...

That could be taken the wrong way. The Fire Academy came later. The Fire was in 1871. The Academy was built in 1961. The Academy is near, but not exactly at, the starting point of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.

Who's up for a Chicago meet-up that includes a tasting at Binny's and a meal at Manny's?

fishnbowljoe
11-23-2008, 20:01
Great idea Chuck. Depending on the date, count me in. Joe

birdman1099
11-23-2008, 20:08
I would be up for a "get together":grin:

OscarV
11-24-2008, 02:26
Who's up for a Chicago meet-up that includes a tasting at Binny's and a meal at Manny's?

Depends on the day, Saturday best for me.
And the time, earlier the better for the drive home.

cas
11-24-2008, 06:06
That would be fun. It's mostly a matter of the timing and coordinating with whatever family obligations I might have while we're in the area.
Craig

Lost Pollito
11-24-2008, 09:23
That would be great. I'd love to do some tastin' with ya'll.

floatingfast
11-24-2008, 09:52
Skunk and I are in! Tell us when and where, and we'll find a way.

Sounds like a great time.

Lost Pollito
11-24-2008, 11:47
How does the 13th of December work for everyone? Brett and I will both be here that day, and don't mind hosting a get together. Probably would be best around 3:30- ish as we're having a free Glenfiddich tasting from 1-4. Of course you're all welcome to come to that as well.

cowdery
11-24-2008, 22:16
For the record, Manny's is open until 8 PM on Saturday. I do suggest that we taste, then eat. Manny's does sell beer, by the way. 12/13 works for me.

fishnbowljoe
11-24-2008, 23:00
I believe that could work for me. Are there any cheap motels/hotels in the general vicinity? Any chance of getting someone from one of the distilleries? Should we bring something along to taste? Joe

TomH
11-25-2008, 07:23
Manny's closed early (5PM) for a private party last Saturday. Someone might want to double check to see if they are having any special events that might change their hours that day.

Tom

Lost Pollito
11-25-2008, 09:15
I can check on manny's, and if need be we can meet earlier. The Glenfiddich tasting is not as big as I had thought. So, anytime after noon is cool for me and Brett. Brett told me He'll pull out some bottles that we've got stored away right now....bringing bottles might be cool as well. I'll check on that and let you know.

Lost Pollito
11-25-2008, 09:21
Just called Manny's. They don't have anything on the books as of yet for the 13th, so as of now, You can get a Corn-beef...aka. "The Obama" until 8pm on Saturday the 13th. Yum. I know where I'm getting lunch today.:grin:

Lost Pollito
11-25-2008, 14:45
Feel free to bring bottles. I got the o.k. from Brett. You guy's can P.M. me if you need any directions.

SBOmarc
11-25-2008, 15:18
If I am going to make that drive, I will need a West Coaster or 2 to pull it together.

These better be good sandwiches.

Lost Pollito
11-25-2008, 15:27
If you make it all the way here from Cali in a car, the sandwiches are on me. :grin:

smokinjoe
11-25-2008, 15:33
The Georgia Bourbon Society is trying to make this work. (Uh, basically, we're sucking up to the wives. :o) Is the 13th a firm date?

ACDetroit
11-25-2008, 16:13
Well shit! I didn't know it was gonna be this kinna Party! If Marc is coming and the Georgia group is coming, I'll be there, I may even bring my new favorite cigar so Joe and I can have one!

Count me in fellas; this seem to interesting to miss!

Cheers!
Tony

SBOmarc
11-25-2008, 16:22
I said I would need some West Coasters or "on on the way people" to make this even thinkable. This can be done...just keep repeating.

The sucking up begins tonight and could last a long time.

boone
11-25-2008, 16:32
Why not add a little bit of Kentucky to this Chicago shindig? We might take flight :) The only block is having to work :( Rumor has it that the backlog is over a million cases..I don't see us catching it anytime soon...but if the Senior maintenance sign for Saturday...I will be free to roam :) I've always wanted to wander around Chicago and this would be a great time to do it :)

The Georgia Bourbon Society is trying to make this work. (Uh, basically, we're sucking up to the wives. :o) Is the 13th a firm date?

OscarV
11-25-2008, 16:54
I've always wanted to wander around Chicago and this would be a great time to do it :)

As far as wondering around Chi-Town this is not the time of year to do it.
They don't call it The Windy City for nothing, it'll be cold. I froze my a** off at a Cubs game on Memorial weekend once.

I do have a commitment on Dec 13 but I think I can snake out of it.

Lost Pollito
11-25-2008, 17:09
It'll be cold, but we got bourbon and friends. Plus corn-beef. :grin:

smokinjoe
11-25-2008, 17:15
Wahoooo! Comin' from all over!! I gotta make this happen...I gotta make this happen...I gotta make this happen...

Honey?!?!? :kiss:

ACDetroit
11-25-2008, 18:15
Wahoooo! Comin' from all over!! I gotta make this happen...I gotta make this happen...I gotta make this happen...

Honey?!?!? :kiss:

Michelle is putting Sarah to bed but I will be quoting you in just a little bit Joe!
I'm afraid there are going to be favors required to get this to happen. I can see many foot massages in my future and , yes you guessed it the back rubs will follow and since I get to go to Chicago all the favors will end there!!:hot::smiley_acbt:

The Michigan Bourbon Hounds have an event the Saturday before this and I'm missing a 60th B-Day party to go...just found out about the B-day, so I passed:shocked:.

Did I mention I will get to go to Chicago!! :cool:

Tony

cowdery
11-25-2008, 19:06
What have we created here?

December 13 is firm as far as my attendance goes. The Binny's crew has confirmed and we know Manny's is open. Manny's is big and Saturday afternoon/early evening would not normally be their busy time, so pushing a few tables together shouldn't be a problem, even if we are many.

Review the menu (http://www.mannysdeli.com/) in advance because they don't like dawdlers.

If this is for real and some people will be seeking lodging, there isn't any in the immediate vicinity, but all of the downtown hotels are convenient via public transportation.

Here (http://www.google.com/transit) is the CTA Trip Planner (now a Google Maps application).

Will there be good weekend hotel deals available? Maybe, maybe not. It's winter, but it's Christmas shopping season, when even a lot of locals come downtown to shop and make a weekend of it. (There's the pitch to the wives, Michigan Avenue shopping.) Maybe the economy is putting a damper on all that and there will be great deals.

Manny's is not open on Sunday, so if you want to take something home with you get it on Saturday. The classic downtown Chicago breakfast place, which is open on Sunday, is Lou Mitchell's (http://www.loumitchellsrestaurant.com/).

There is no Bears game that Sunday as they play on Thursday, 12/11 (New Orleans). The Bulls are in town Saturday night, versus the Nets.

What else can I tell you? No, you can't stay with me. Yes, you should have a potato pancake (latke) with your sandwich. They are really good and they are the traditional food to eat at Hanukkah.

callmeox
11-25-2008, 20:04
Man, our one holiday season event is that Saturday night or I'd be there in a heartbeat.

SBOmarc
11-25-2008, 21:17
That is some Big Time BS...to quote John and Dan.. or Jake and Elwood!

We're on a mission from God...

BourbonJoe
11-26-2008, 06:08
If I wasn't headin' for Key West, I'd join you guys.
Joe :usflag:

Skunk
11-26-2008, 07:05
The only thing Heather and I would have to possibly bring would be the barrel proof's from the 08 BTAC. I have unopened Stagg and WLWeller, but the Handy is 1/2 gone, so what I thought might be interesting would be to cut them to 100 proof for comparison purposes. As a friend noted, the stuff over 105 proof can fry the taste buds sometimes, and I don't want my taste memories of whatever was on the table to be vague :-)

At any rate, we'd love to come, but would feel bad being in such great company (people and spirits), and showing up empty handed. If the above sounds strange, we can stick to bringing bottled water and snacks.

cowdery
11-26-2008, 08:12
I hadn't really thought about people bringing their own bottles. You know we're meeting in one of the biggest liquor stores in town, right? Obviously, because I know this group, I'm not going to tell anyone not to, but I don't think it's necessary.

Skunk
11-26-2008, 14:06
I hadn't really thought about people bringing their own bottles. You know we're meeting in one of the biggest liquor stores in town, right? Obviously, because I know this group, I'm not going to tell anyone not to, but I don't think it's necessary.

There was some talk of it on page four, but I agree that it would seem odd bringing bottles *into* the store.

Lost Pollito
11-26-2008, 16:42
But if you got somethin your achin' to share, we won't mind you bringin it in for this get together. Maybe we can get sweet Lou to join in, as He'll be in the store signing autographs. Should be a great day. :cool:

fishnbowljoe
11-26-2008, 21:09
The idea of bringing a bottle or two was my question. I'm still somewhat new and wasn't quite sure of proper etiquette. I thought it might be a tasting a la "The Gazebo" at the KBF. This will be my first tasting outside of the informal ones at the KBF. I'm really looking forward to this. Sorry again about the misunderstanding. Joe

cowdery
11-30-2008, 17:44
No decorum was breached. Lost Pollito expressed it well. If you have something you're dying to share, bring it, but it's not a Gazebo-ish situation. More like getting together in a bar.

fishnbowljoe
11-30-2008, 17:59
Thanks Chuck. Looks like it'll just be me and my charming personality then.:slappin: By the way, did we ever actually settle on a suitable start time? Joe

cowdery
12-01-2008, 14:16
I believe The Gathering begins at Binny's at 3:30 PM CST.

Lost Pollito
12-01-2008, 15:04
Can't wait to see everyone. Brett is pulling out some bottles for all to taste. Not sure what he has up his sleave, but it should be a blast. Who all is coming ?Just so we know what to expect. Also, if anyone is interested , I saw that Delilah's is having a holiday beer tasting at noon. 80 beers or so. If you're into a dazed kinda day. :cool:

OscarV
12-01-2008, 15:38
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/11/obama-lunches-at-mannys.html

At about 9 minutes and 20 seconds into this video someone asks President-Elect Obama about a 3rd baseman.
Does anyone know what team that would be.
I assume it would be for the White Sox.
Obama says that he looks good but we'll have to see how he works out.

So you are you North Siders concerned about a Sox fan in the White House?

Lost Pollito
12-01-2008, 15:40
I won't get nervous until next october...God willing. The "L" series!!!:grin:

floatingfast
12-03-2008, 06:44
I unfortunately, will not be able to make the Dec. 13th event, duty calls. Although, I'm confident that skunk will still attend, possibly with a more suitable side-kick for the festivities...I feel I would be way out of my league anyway, with you experienced tasters-as I am still developing my palette - Cheers !!

fishnbowljoe
12-03-2008, 16:06
Sorry you won't be able to make it Heather. We'll make sure and give Skunk a hard time.:grin: As far as out of your league, no way! We're all still developing our pallets.:rolleyes: It just a bunch of folks getting together, trying some good bourbon, having a bite to eat and meeting some new folks from SB. I felt the same way you did before meeting the folks from SB down at the KBF. They welcomed me with open arms and made me feel comfortable right from the start. Like I've said in welcoming people in the "New to SB" thread. Good bourbon, good times and good people. Joe

PS Make sure and tell your husband to look me up. I'm from Beech Grove originally, and look forward to hearing about the old hometown. I'm one of many short, heavyset, balding guys with glasses. You can't miss me.:slappin:

Lost Pollito
12-03-2008, 16:17
Nicely put Joe. Can't wait to see you guys. We've been diggin through the basement finding some goodies for ya'll.

shoshani
12-03-2008, 23:27
I'm going to try to make it there, but I won't be able to be at Binny's until around 6 PM. I have no way of knowing until I get there whether the group will still be enjoying convivial companionship, or whether the party will have dispersed.

If people are bringing in bottles, I'm toying with the idea of bringing in my last unopened 375ml bottle of ND Old Taylor BIB, Spring 1971/Spring 1980.

Lost Pollito
12-04-2008, 13:15
Well. I'll still be here at the store working. I get to start drinkin at 7. You can hang out as long as you like... the bourbon will still be around for tasting. :cool:

cowdery
12-04-2008, 17:49
I suspect most of us will be eating by six or thereabouts. Manny's is literally right across Jefferson Street from Binny's so we don't have to all go at the same time. As people become more hungry than thirsty, they can peel off.

Manny's, by the way, is nothing fancy. It is cafeteria service and you are advised to know what you want before you get in the line.

OscarV
06-14-2009, 09:19
When the new 4R1B 2009 Barrel Strength hits Binny's I'll be there to do it alll over again.:cool:

Lost Pollito
06-14-2009, 10:46
I'll let you know as soon as it shows up. Also, I got Brett hunting down the Presidents reserve for you. :cool:

cowdery
06-14-2009, 15:22
I usually have the pastrami but may have the corned beef this time at Manny's, or maybe a reuben, instead.

Stones
06-14-2009, 17:20
Close to where I was sitting a table with five guys were talking it up pretty good, they must have been police, I did not hear the beginning of the story but I heard one guy say, "...and this was from a guy who shot his partner!" and they erupted in laughter.

Sounds like something out of 'SuperTroopers'!!! :slappin:

tommyboy38
06-15-2009, 08:53
I'm ready to do it again (for the first time as I found sb.com shortly after the first get together in December) and meet some SB members. And I look forward to a trip to Manny's which I've never been to but have always wanted to visit. In the past, I'd go to the Maxwell St. Market every Sunday morning but it's the only day Manny's is closed.