PDA

View Full Version : What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Autumn 2008

Pages : [1] 2

OscarV
10-05-2008, 04:06
We are a couple of weeks into Autumn so I started a new thread.

I picked up,

One, Willetts Family Estate Bottled Single Barrel
27 year old
138.6 proof
Bottle No. 19 of 24
Barrel No.473
Warehouse C
Rick N1

One, W. L. Weller 12yo
Single Barrel, Binny's bottle

Three, Four Roses Single Barrel
One each of the 3 that were bottled for Binny's
Below is a link to a post made by Scott, screen name callmeox, he quotes Brett describing the taste profile of each the FRSB.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10254

birdman1099
10-05-2008, 05:50
Nice Pick-up, Oscar !!!! How many are left???

I'm curious on your thoughts on the 4 roses expressions.

Yesterday, I picked up an EC18, distilled in '81. I want to see how it compares to the one I have distilled in '89

MJL
10-05-2008, 06:24
I went to pick up a $79 bottle of Wild Turkey American Spirit but decided it could wait for another month. It hasn't sold yet and it is unlikely to sell until the point that I find the money to take it home. Instead, I took the two bottles of Van Winkle 12 Year Old Family Reserve Lot B home with me.

chilidawg7
10-05-2008, 11:54
took a quick trip up thru GA and AL this weekend and found an item not readily available in my neck of the woods:

JW Dant BIB

Looking forward to trying it later today.

spun_cookie
10-05-2008, 12:22
One, W. L. Weller 12yo
Single Barrel, Binny's bottle

Please let me know what you think of this one. This is exactly what I had... so I am hoping it was just my bottle... it was rumored that this was actually a 14 yr.

I had half a bottle left, but becuase of my need to get to my plane quickly I did not check my bag and tossed it. I boarded the plane as the last person and it then pulled out... I would have never tossed it if not for this situation... super thin, lacked the Weller traits that I love so much... it felt very watered down...

OscarV
10-05-2008, 14:31
Please let me know what you think of this one. This is exactly what I had... so I am hoping it was just my bottle... it was rumored that this was actually a 14 yr.

I had half a bottle left, but becuase of my need to get to my plane quickly I did not check my bag and tossed it. I boarded the plane as the last person and it then pulled out... I would have never tossed it if not for this situation... super thin, lacked the Weller traits that I love so much... it felt very watered down...

As far as that Weller12yo Binny's bottle goes I have to admit that it is in the lower half of all 8 of the Weller expressions I've tried. I rank 'em as follows;

3-way tie between, even if and I agree, that if you say that it is not fair to compare them, I still will,...
BTAC 2006
BTAC 2007
Julio's 14 yo Centennial

Then comes,
Centennial

Depending on my mood the next 4 alternate, but I'd list them in the following order if I were forced to do so,
Special Reserve S-W
Special Reserve BT
12yo Binny's bottle
Antique 107

I haven't had the BTAC 2006 yet, I got two and I am going to do one when it gets cold.

Also I'd say that the Binny's Weller for $24 is hard to beat, but I can't remember to much about it (that could be a bad sign) other than I knew wanted another.
And hey, it is Weller. I remember the bottle I had last spring as enjoyable and am looking forward to this one,...more later.

OscarV
10-05-2008, 15:05
How many are left???

From what I saw on the shelf I think #1 may be history or maybe one left, #2 is also low, a few of them were there.
But here is the good news, judging by Brett's comments about the three I would say #3 is the best and there were probably 10 bottles left.

spun_cookie
10-05-2008, 15:20
3-way tie between, even if and I agree, that if you say that it is not fair to compare them, I still will,...
BTAC 2006
BTAC 2007
Julio's 14 yo Centennial

Then comes,
Centennial

Depending on my mood the next 4 alternate, but I'd list them in the following order if I were forced to do so,
Special Reserve S-W
Special Reserve BT
12yo Binny's bottle
Antique 107

Well, I agree with your ranking completly... On the OWA I have had 3 diffrent and would put two where you did and this one crazy one that was from party sorce that was as good as PVW15yr... not a fair bottle to put in the mix..

Did you mean "05" WLW that you have not had?

OscarV
10-05-2008, 15:40
I haven't had the BTAC 2006 yet, I got two and I am going to do one when it gets cold.

Wrong date up there on my post.

Did you mean "05" WLW that you have not had?

Yes I did mean 2005, thanx for gettin' my back.

OscarV
10-05-2008, 15:46
On the OWA this one crazy one that was from party sorce that was as good as PVW15yr

Was that Party Source Weller Antique something recent?
Think they have more?
As good as PVW15yo?
Hmm,...KY roadtrip looks like a possibliity.

ThomasH
10-05-2008, 16:21
I had a bottle of the PS Antique that was a single barrel and it was supposedly around 9yrs of age to the regular antique's 7. They carry it regularly but it does sell out quickly as does their barrel purchase FR single barrel!

Thomas

CorvallisCracker
10-07-2008, 14:45
A bottle of 1994/2004 EWSB arrived today, courtesy of another SB.com member. Looking forward to trying it this eve.

OscarV
10-09-2008, 13:44
As you know last Saturday I got the Willett 27yo 138.6 proof.
Today I recieved it's California cousin,...

Willlett Family Estate Bottled Single Barrel
25 years old
90.2 proof
Bottle No. 29 of 96
Barrel No. 8
Warehouse C
Rick N2

Also,
2 Wild Turkey Old No. 8
101 proof
Bottled 5-18-92

Cookie Spun me a good one!!

bigtoys
10-09-2008, 22:48
haven't been here for a while.
Got 4R Single Barrel picked by/for Binny's today. They had 2 different barrels, so I got 1 of each.

OscarV
10-10-2008, 12:13
With the Van Winkles out and not to miss out later on I stopped off after work and picked up;

3 Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 107 proof.
also got a,
Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

When I got home a package was waiting for me, inside it was;

Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel
Hand selected for Julio's Liquors
Series II
Barrel #34

And;

2 Pappy Van Winkle 15yo
Selected by and/or for all the good people at,
The Loch & K(e)Y Society
BourbonEnthusiast.com
BourbonDrinker.com

Hey guys, isn't it about time StraightBourbon.com got a special barrel?

jburlowski
10-10-2008, 13:24
Got the new PHC 27.

Also noticed that the FR Mariage, which was in the $80 range a week ago, is now available for $60.

barturtle
10-10-2008, 16:03
Evan Williams BIB White Label. This has become my "go to" bottling down in the swamp.

JamesW
10-10-2008, 20:46
Picked up 4 ORVW 10/107 today and a VSOF 12! Some of my favorites!

ggilbertva
10-10-2008, 22:05
Barrel picks from a store in MA:

Single Barrel Pappy 15
Single Barrel RHF
Single Barrel ER 10
Four Roses

How I just need to get my hands on the '08 BTAC and the latest Willett DC release......

ggilbertva
10-10-2008, 22:06
With the Van Winkles out and not to miss out later on I stopped off after work and picked up;

3 Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 107 proof.
also got a,
Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

When I got home a package was waiting for me, inside it was;

Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel
Hand selected for Julio's Liquors
Series II
Barrel #34

And;

2 Pappy Van Winkle 15yo
Selected by and/or for all the good people at,
The Loch & K(e)Y Society
BourbonEnthusiast.com
BourbonDrinker.com

Hey guys, isn't it about time StraightBourbon.com got a special barrel?

Funny Oscar...I got the same things! Christmas came early.

spun_cookie
10-10-2008, 22:36
As you know last Saturday I got the Willett 27yo 138.6 proof.
Today I recieved it's California cousin,...

Willlett Family Estate Bottled Single Barrel
25 years old
90.2 proof
Bottle No. 29 of 96
Barrel No. 8
Warehouse C
Rick N2

Also,
2 Wild Turkey Old No. 8
101 proof
Bottled 5-18-92

Cookie Spun me a good one!!

Dats gud bourbon... drinky happy my friend:woohoo:

gothbat
10-11-2008, 12:41
They finally got Weller Antique back in stock, it's been months since I've been able to buy this which is a shame because it was a regular pour for me. Anyway, the store is now back to being out of stock of Weller Antique. :] If only they could get the Rittenhouse BIB back in...

Hondo
10-12-2008, 16:10
While I have been drinking bourbon most all of my life... I just started paying serious attention to it over the past couple of years. I guess that since I have always been around it I have taken it for granted. What a shame... I wasted a lot of years!

When I did start paying attention I started buy a lot of the mid shelf bourbons like Woodford, Makers, Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace and the like which are all great. However, I keep reading from folks that there are a lot of high quality bourbons that are real bargains at their low-end price point.

So today while I was out and about I stopped by the Liquor Barn and fondled the bottles for a hour or so and started looking at a lot of the Bottled in Bond bourbons. I brought home a Very Old Barton BIB and an Old Grandad BIB to give them a try. I like bourbons in the 100 proof range so I can't wait to give these a try. Hopefully a little later tonight... I was shocked at how inexpensive these were. I think I paid eleven something for the VOB and thirteen for the Old Grandad.

camduncan
10-12-2008, 16:37
Today I picked up a couple of bottles of Evan Williams 97 Single Barrel and a Four Roses 120th

tmas
10-12-2008, 16:59
Just got back from a trip to the Florida Keys. We drove the whole length of them and I checked out a couple of stores to see if there was anything there I hadn't seen back home. We picked up a bottle of Old Charter 8 Yr at the start in a Key Largo store. I think this is the best bourbon I have ever tasted at this price level...$15 for a 750ml! Polished it off along the way and I packed a couple to take home. Makes a lovely mint julep too! Tom

spun_cookie
10-12-2008, 17:44
Just got my Old Crow CHess set in... of the 32 bottels, only one had a leaky cork... made a little mess, and one bottel is just completely empty... tax stap is perfect... it is like it was never filled... no leak stains in the original Castle Box...

The bourbon is good. I opened three and they are great... yum yum...

MJL
10-12-2008, 19:21
Just got back from a trip to the Florida Keys. We drove the whole length of them and I checked out a couple of stores to see if there was anything there I hadn't seen back home. We picked up a bottle of Old Charter 8 Yr at the start in a Key Largo store. I think this is the best bourbon I have ever tasted at this price level...$15 for a 750ml! Polished it off along the way and I packed a couple to take home. Makes a lovely mint julep too! Tom

Tom,

That must have been Denny's Liquors in Key Largo. Interesting place. I picked up an older bottle (1980s) of Old Charter from him a few weeks back. It sure turned out to be quite nice for the price.

birdman1099
10-12-2008, 19:38
This week I have acquired:

ER17 2002
EWSB 1992
3 OCPR Louisville
wtrr101
WTRB 1999
OFBB 2005

A pretty good week !!!!:cool:

ggilbertva
10-12-2008, 20:19
Just got my Old Crow CHess set in... of the 32 bottels, only one had a leaky cork... made a little mess, and one bottel is just completely empty... tax stap is perfect... it is like it was never filled... no leak stains in the original Castle Box...

The bourbon is good. I opened three and they are great... yum yum...

Spun,

I don't have the 86 proof but do have the 80 proof. The color is richer than a typical 80 proofer which means it's probably glut whiskey. Dated 1984 on the bottle. I like it very much but wish I could find the Old Crow in a higher proof.

spun_cookie
10-12-2008, 21:04
Spun,

I don't have the 86 proof but do have the 80 proof. The color is richer than a typical 80 proofer which means it's probably glut whiskey. Dated 1984 on the bottle. I like it very much but wish I could find the Old Crow in a higher proof.

You would like this 1968 stuff. Very nice. very dark for an 86 proof with a lt of depth... very pleasing... This 10/86 is as dark ad my Centennial 13/100..

tmas
10-12-2008, 23:44
Tom,

That must have been Denny's Liquors in Key Largo. Interesting place. I picked up an older bottle (1980s) of Old Charter from him a few weeks back. It sure turned out to be quite nice for the price.

You hit that right on the nose MJL, I just checked my receipt and sure enough it was Denny's. It definitely looked like an interesting store which I would check out more closely if I had the time (impatient wife waiting in the car).
I was also tempted by a bottle of Wild Turkey American Spirit. It had a Jimmy Russel signature on it in gold script. I don't know if that is part of the regular packaging or if it had actually been signed. Anyway I passed it up as it was too expensive to risk it breaking or disappearing from my suitcase on the flight home. Tom

wildcatdon
10-13-2008, 07:44
Saturday I was lucky enough to find a bottle of 15 yr old Pappy Van Winkle and then I got a souvenir barrel decanter of Evan Williams Master Distillers Select at the Bourbon Heritage Center while in Bardstown...Two great bourbons..

chefnash51
10-13-2008, 13:04
Been thoroughly enjoying getting into the world of Bourbon.. Recent purchases:

Four Roses Single Barrel *
Elijah Craig 12y x 2*
Weller Antique 107*
PVW 15
ORVW 10/107 x 4*
VWSR 12y Lot B x 3*

* tasted
Weller - took me several pours to really get into it. Love it neat and at what a great price.
Four Roses - only had a small pour , but loved it
EC12y - wow.. tasty tansy and @ 21 a bottle
Lot B - well - my first bottle is almost gone.. hence the reason I went out and bought the last 3 -
ORVW 10/107 - prob my favorite of all.. and I worked real hard to get the four bottles. so glad I did.

add to this the PVW 20 I popped 2 weeks ago and the Stagg 07 I am picking up on the way home(!!!) - this "deviation" from beer is turning into something more of a main hobby..and I like it.

on deck -
ER12 .. found a small stash for $22
OGD BIB - found 1 liter for $21
OGD 114 - found 750 for $21

seems like good deals in my neck of the country

JamesW
10-13-2008, 19:40
Been thoroughly enjoying getting into the world of Bourbon.. Recent purchases:

Four Roses Single Barrel *
Elijah Craig 12y x 2*
Weller Antique 107*
PVW 15
ORVW 10/107 x 4*
VWSR 12y Lot B x 3*

* tasted
Weller - took me several pours to really get into it. Love it neat and at what a great price.
Four Roses - only had a small pour , but loved it
EC12y - wow.. tasty tansy and @ 21 a bottle
Lot B - well - my first bottle is almost gone.. hence the reason I went out and bought the last 3 -
ORVW 10/107 - prob my favorite of all.. and I worked real hard to get the four bottles. so glad I did.

add to this the PVW 20 I popped 2 weeks ago and the Stagg 07 I am picking up on the way home(!!!) - this "deviation" from beer is turning into something more of a main hobby..and I like it.

on deck -
ER12 .. found a small stash for $22
OGD BIB - found 1 liter for $21
OGD 114 - found 750 for $21

seems like good deals in my neck of the country

No mention of the Pappy 15 (which I'm presently enjoying). It's my favorite (er... tied with Pappy 20 most times) Lot B is awesome, Antique a miracle at <$20 ( I picked one up for $14 a few weeks back). The ORVW 10/107 is one of the great values imo. I bunker as many van winkles as I can afford.

spun_cookie
10-13-2008, 23:05
Got my hands on 2 WT 8 yrs from 1989 (1L & 750ml)

OscarV
10-14-2008, 14:10
Got my hands on 2 WT 8 yrs from 1989 (1L & 750ml)

He shoots!
He scores!
Good job Emerald.

bigtoys
10-14-2008, 21:17
Anyone have any info on the mashbills for the 4R's I got the other day at Binny's??

They were picked by Brett. I got bottles from barrels 1 and 3.

dcb
10-15-2008, 12:46
picked up a Rittenhouse BiB and Evan Williams BiB today.

Rake
10-15-2008, 14:35
OFBB '07 -- the last one I know of in the Mile High City. The '06s are somewhat easier to find, for some reason.

chefnash51
10-15-2008, 15:31
found another PVW 15 .. how could I say no.

OscarV
10-15-2008, 15:42
found another PVW 15 .. how could I say no.

well yeah of course you could not say no, but is NJ a dearth of Van Winkles?

MJL
10-15-2008, 17:43
At lunch I skipped out and picked up two liter bottles of Old Charter 8 year old today to complete my cleaning out of this brand from a local shop with old stock. The bottles were dated 02 on the bottom. I left one behind because it leaked all over the damned place when I went to check the date out. I walked out stinking of Bourbon and went back to my students after lunch. I certainly got some disdaining looks to day!:rolleyes:

chefnash51
10-16-2008, 12:25
well yeah of course you could not say no, but is NJ a dearth of Van Winkles?

Don't know how true this is.. but the guy at the liquor store told me that I was holding maybe one of the last bottles of PVW 15 that will be available in the state for the next 6 years...

the two I have obtained were pretty much only saved for me b/c of connections.. so I don't know how true his statement was, but is seems very hard to come by around here.

ggilbertva
10-16-2008, 22:51
VA carries AA and AAA 10 star. One that I have not seen is the AA BIB. Liquor store in DC contacted to let me know that they got some BIB in and did I want a bottle....well of course I say.

So....Sat I'll have a bottle of AA BIB at $13.95. The bourbon dude there claims it's over the top good.....we'll see.

fishnbowljoe
10-16-2008, 23:55
2007 BTAC ER 17. Mission complete. Joe

BourbonJoe
10-17-2008, 08:12
The bourbon dude there claims it's over the top good.....we'll see.

Greg,
I wouldn't say it was "over the top good" but it's good, especially for 14 bucks.
Joe :usflag:

mozilla
10-17-2008, 08:22
The Bib is young and spicey. I would say it is similar to a WT product in style....with a different mashbill. I get more corn out of the AA than the WT.

As I have said before....I mix the Bib and the AAA 10yr to raise the proof on the AAA, per drink. It works for me.

DoubleT
10-17-2008, 15:10
2 bottles of Four Roses Yellow Label, thanks to BeeEss letting me know where to find it in OKC.

And, since I was there anyway...

Evan Williams Green Label
Jim Beam Black Label
Old Grand Dad BIB.

jburlowski
10-18-2008, 12:30
Went to get bottle of Luxardo Maraschino liqueur. Came back with that and two Lot Bs and two PVW 15.

T47
10-18-2008, 14:36
Thanks to a heads up from a local SB'r I was able to get a bottle of PVW 15, the last one I could find this side of the State! I had planned on getting at least two, so with my left over funds I picked up a Weller 107 and a Buffalo Trace. A quick computer search led me to the Eastern side of the State where my son is still in college. I found another PVW 15 as well as some VWFRR so he's bringing some home for me.
I continue to find the State system poorly run and even more poorly informed, but it's not a complete wasteland and my shelves manage to stay stocked (on occasion more so from friendly SB'rs than the State of WA!!)

:toast:

polyamnesia
10-21-2008, 17:41
stopped by a store in claymont de and almost went for the Old Forester Signature at $18.99 a bottle...then there was the BOTM, Old Taylor 6 year at $9.99...

instead, took a chance on an unknown (to me): JOSHUA BROOK 90 proof/8 year...

i researched it when i got home (and was worried i bought something that was a joke)...had i read the slight and minimal remarks/reviews FIRST, i probably would not have made the $14.99 leap...:skep:

GLAD i got it!

just finished another small bottle of Jim Beam Black (nothing spectacular, but very pleasing), but i have to admit, this seemingly Heaven Hill sourced bourbon is almost spectacular. the price? no, what matters is: the taste.

no waste of money here.

as summer ends, i slowly warm up (and cool down) into bourbon sipping. actually tackled my first Islay scotch (bowmore) a month ago...

after a quite enjoyable WT 101 while on family vacation near Bushkill Falls (PA) in early august, i plowed through a dull bottle of Buffalo Trace....that led to another bottle of WT 101 (which was the oddest, worst WT i've ever had...it worried me!:shocked: )...then the JBBlack...

but this? Joshua Brook? Safeway? whatever, i am glad that store has two bottles left!

PhilsFan
10-21-2008, 18:07
After checking two stores and coming up empty, the third was the charm as I found a PVW 20 on the way home from work. I'm a little over budget, but this is the Phillies first World Series since 1993 and I'm celebrating!

-Joe

chefnash51
10-22-2008, 09:13
Couldn't resist picking up the 1 liter of OGD BIB and a bottle of OGD 114. Both were decently cheap for my area. $22 bucks each.

I have had small pours of both.. so far the BIB is more to my liking. I got tons of peppery spice from it.

On deck (hopefully on the way home) is a Wild Turkey RB. It will be my first WT expression.

OscarV
10-22-2008, 12:30
I was suprised at how fast it was delivered but today I got an Eagle Rare 101 Lawrenceburg bottle.
It came in a great looking wood box.
The bottom bottle date is '78.
No evaporation, looks good.
This completes the trio of Lawrenceburg, New Orleans and Frankfort bottles.

MJL
10-22-2008, 17:25
I was picking up some Van Winkle a few weeks back at an out of the way "honey pot" when I noticed a Dickel bargain but lacked the funds to exploit it. Well, I went back today and was prepared to pick up two 1.75 liter bottles of Dickel for $24 but they only had one out. The clerk asked how I was as if he knew me so we started chatting. As it turns out he was a student of mine in 1995. Long story short I told him I would buy as much of the Dickel as they had for that price. He came from the back room with four more 1.75 bottles for a total of 5. That price is generally about $10 less per bottle than this whiskey sells for around here. I reckon I have enough Dickel, my preferred Tennessee whiskey, to last me for the next few years.

tango-papa
10-22-2008, 23:10
I was suprised at how fast it was delivered but today I got an Eagle Rare 101 Lawrenceburg bottle.
It came in a great looking wood box.
The bottom bottle date is '78.
No evaporation, looks good.
This completes the trio of Lawrenceburg, New Orleans and Frankfort bottles.

Very cool! Got pics?

~tp

PhilsFan
10-23-2008, 09:28
I bought two bottles of 2008 BTAC William Larue Weller today for 54.99
apiece...I expected them to be in the $60 range with the recent increase in prices on bourbon, so I was pleasantly surprised. I look forward to my first pour of WLW on Friday.

-Joe

GregSVT
10-23-2008, 09:58
Damn Kentucky guys....I'm still waiting for the BTAC to be released around here.

OscarV
10-23-2008, 12:12
Very cool! Got pics?

~tp

Yeah it is a great looking bottle and box.
Click on the thumbnail below.
BTW I stole the pic from the seller.

MJL
10-23-2008, 16:22
I gave a list of "wants" to a local liquor chain and their buyer seems to be pretty proactive in satisfying their customers requests. So far they have been able to obtain for me Four Roses Single Barrel, Small Batch, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, and now Van Winkles. Well, I stopped by today and they had a single bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 15 year old that they ordered for me that came home with me and a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year old 90 proof that came with it to my house for company!

birdman1099
10-23-2008, 19:08
I found a stash of DSP 16, early 90's, Old Fitz BIB !!!!

Tonight, I'm having FITZ !!!!:grin:

jburlowski
10-24-2008, 11:09
Got the BTAC bourbons (the frenzy seemed even more frenetic this year. While I was at it, I snared a few Weller 12s for the bunker.

birdman1099
10-24-2008, 18:30
I found some old charter today. 1 OCPR louisville and 2 Old Charter Classic 90 from Louisville.

I ran across (but did not buy) a bottle of Benchmark from New Orleans. Should I get it for $12:cool:

chefnash51
10-28-2008, 12:58
Decided to introduce myself to WT and grabbed a bottle of RB.

Very good, I did find it to taste almost overpowering compared to others I have had in that proof range. A little water brought it down to a more enjoyable level for now.

also took a chance on a bottle of Old Forester 86 proof. Haven't open it yet.

on my sights:
Woodford Reserve
elmer T. Lee
FR SmB

MikeF
10-29-2008, 04:21
I occasionally work down in VA/MD and the Montgomery County liquor stores have some awesome sales. If you purchase a case of items not on sale, they will take 8% off the normal price, so you can make your own sale. I was hoping for some BTAC and OF BB, but I guess I'll have to hope they have some left the next time I'm down there. Here's what I got (I think I've got the fever from the rest of you!)
4- VW Lot B @ $30.99
6- Bookers @ $38.99
6 - EWSB '96 @ 17.99
2 - WT Russells Reserve Rye @ $19.99
1- WT Kentucky Spirit @ $33.99
1 - Blantons @36.99

gothbat
10-29-2008, 05:37
I don't know which one but today I should have a bottle of Ancient Age. When my dad travels he tries to stop at liquor stores to find beers with caps he doesn't have (he doesn't drink but he collects caps) and to see if there is any whiskey I might want. Anyway, he had noted "Ancient Age" for one store so I asked him to pick one up; imagine his surprise when the only bottle I was interested in was the cheapest one on his list! :]

JamesW
10-29-2008, 06:51
I occasionally work down in VA/MD and the Montgomery County liquor stores have some awesome sales. If you purchase a case of items not on sale, they will take 8% off the normal price, so you can make your own sale. I was hoping for some BTAC and OF BB, but I guess I'll have to hope they have some left the next time I'm down there. Here's what I got (I think I've got the fever from the rest of you!)
4- VW Lot B @ $30.99
6- Bookers @ $38.99
6 - EWSB '96 @ 17.99
2 - WT Russells Reserve Rye @ $19.99
1- WT Kentucky Spirit @ $33.99
1 - Blantons @36.99

Awesome price on that Lot B. It's ~ $48 here now.

fishnbowljoe
10-29-2008, 15:12
Those are some great buys Mike. Nice job. Joe

OscarV
10-29-2008, 16:47
Yesterday in KY I picked up,...

2 George T Stagg BTAC 2008
1 Thomas H Handy BTAC 2008
2 Parker's Heritage 2008
2 Four Roses Mariage
1 Old Forester Repeal
1 Wild Turkey Rare Breed, in a cool wood box with glasses.

4 W Larue W BTAC 2008 did not come in, they will arrive Thursday so I'll go back down and pick them up when I pick up the bottles of Four Roses Single Barrel that were, as the bottles will state,.....

"Selected By And Bottled For Tony Curtis And Oscar Hightower"

So it will be worth the trip.
Cuz I luvs my Larue.

GOCOUGS2002
10-29-2008, 19:56

I picked up one of those box sets today as well...and it was $8 cheaper than the bottle on the shelf.

ACDetroit
10-30-2008, 19:50
Well it was not exactly today but I too went with OscarV to KY for a little trip and some bourbon buying.

2008 BTAC ...YES
Four Roses Mariage - YES
Old Forester Repeal Bourbon...Just for the glass :rolleyes:
Parker Heritage 27 yr old ...Not sure why but YES! Well Oscar said it's good.

Oh and a bunch of Four Roses Single Barrel which was the reason for the trip any way. Once I get the pictures down loaded I post the trip in Bourbon Social.

Tony

ggilbertva
10-30-2008, 20:04
Through the generosity of a fellow SB.com member, I received an Old Charter Proprietors Reserve, Louisville bottling from UD days.

birdman1099
10-30-2008, 20:14
i found me an 08 Stagg and 08 Weller !!!!:grin:

MissingKY
10-30-2008, 20:20
Ran across a gold foil Wild Turkey 12 year with a bottle date of 12/4/91. Not sure how it sat in a liquor store in Lincoln Park for 17 years, but I'm glad I stopped to buy my girlfriend a bottle of wine!

OscarV
10-31-2008, 08:19
Parker Heritage 27 yr old ...Not sure why but YES! Well Oscar said it's good.

I had two pours last night and I think it is very special and unique.
When I taste more I will post my findings

Phischy
10-31-2008, 09:27
Picked up Pappy 20 for $83 last night. Not a bad price! Saw it for $130 at another store. Never had this before, will be drinking it w/ friends tonight.

chefnash51
10-31-2008, 09:52
Decided I should grab the bottle of Four Roses Small Batch that I found, as FR is rare around here.

As it turns out the store had 2 ORVW 10/107 .. couldn't say no.

Stopped by one more place... damn, way over budget.

Lot B and VW 15... How could I say no!

that brings my Van Winkle bunker to:

6 ORVW 10/107
4 Lot B
3 VW 15 yr
1 VW 20 yr

gblick
10-31-2008, 12:38
While out and about I happened across one of my favorite dusties...WTRR101.

OscarV
10-31-2008, 13:43

I picked up one of those box sets today as well...and it was $8 cheaper than the bottle on the shelf.

I have a bottle of Rare Breed autographed by Jimmy Russell and I put that bottle in the box with autograph showing, looks great.

PhilsFan
10-31-2008, 20:27
Picked up Pappy 20 for $83 last night. Not a bad price! Saw it for $130 at another store. Never had this before, will be drinking it w/ friends tonight.

$83 is a great price! Pappy 20 cost me just under a hundred last week.

-Joe

spun_cookie
10-31-2008, 21:46
Today was good. ER101, Ezra Brook 1971, 12 yr 90 proof, Cabin Still 1977

polyamnesia
10-31-2008, 21:49
nothing new in the PA stores!

so i went to visit the family in New Castle DE and picked up a bottle of George Dickel 12...never had it before.

and for fun and education, a little bottle of Evan Williams 7 year...

will try 'em out tomorrow morning, i mean, after Noon....!:grin:

smokinjoe
11-01-2008, 11:09
It seems everytime I tell myself "OK, this should keep me stocked for awhile.", I run into a store and walk out with a couple of hundred dollars worth of more bourbon. This week it was:
1 BHC OCPR
1 BHC Centennial
1 2008 WLW
1 2008 Handy
2 Univ. Tennessee orange wax Maker's Mark
1 Parker's Heritage 27 yr
1 1.75 Buffalo Trace
1 Weller 12yr

I'm gonna have some splainin' to do when Mrs. Smokinjoe gets the AMEX bill. :o

Rughi
11-01-2008, 11:25
2 Univ. Tennessee orange wax Maker's Mark

Does this commemorate a sports achievement (Perhaps the Lady Vols?) or does MM do waxes of some schools on a regular basis?

Roger

smokinjoe
11-01-2008, 11:32
Does this commemorate a sports achievement (Perhaps the Lady Vols?) or does MM do waxes of some schools on a regular basis?

Roger

Roger, I don't know. I picked them up as gifts for friends in the neighborhood who are UT alums. If it is commemorative, the Lady Vols would be the team deserving of it...not this year's football team, for sure.

purplehaze67
11-01-2008, 12:49
Cleaned out a small stash of 1994 and 1995 EWSB gift sets. The 94 seems to be a popular favorite on the boards and I liked the rocks glass/measuring cup combo that comes with the 95, so it's worthwhile even if the bottle itself isn't quite as good.

Also asked for, and thought I was handed WLW and Handy Rye from BTAC 2008. After I left, I realized that they were actually 2007, both of which are already bunkered here. Took em back, they said they were all out of all 2008 BTAC (so I guess just hand the customer anything, huh?). I swapped out the WLW for a 2005 bottle.

They didn't have any other Handy besides 2007, so I just kept it. Wasn't really planning on increasing stock on that one right now, but I guess it's ok. A time will come, sooner or later, that I'm glad I have it here. At least that's the hope...

Jono
11-01-2008, 14:00
I was very bad...I went to pick up some vet Rx and of course...a block away is Teddy's Liqour store....good prices but they used to be cash only...and I don't usually carry that much...but today I noticed the VISA etc. card on the door.....soooooooo...spur of the moment purchase..me bad:

Picked up some new for me whiskeys....I think these are pretty good prices..what do you think?

Old Overhold Rye... $10.49
Old Weller 107......$15.99
Old Fitz 1849.......$15.99
Wathen's SB.,....$24.99

And....
Famous Grouse.. 17.99
White Horse ....15.99
The Teachers only came in the large bottle size.

They had Eagle Rare...for about $23...but I did not need more at this time.
P.S. the wife caught me re-arranging my cabinent....I operate on a strict "don't ask, don't tell" bourbon purchase philosophy! :)

ACDetroit
11-01-2008, 18:02
Took em back, they said they were all out of all 2008 BTAC (so I guess just hand the customer anything, huh?). I swapped out the WLW for a 2005 bottle.

They didn't have any other Handy besides 2007, so I just kept it. Wasn't really planning on increasing stock on that one right now, but I guess it's ok. A time will come, sooner or later, that I'm glad I have it here. At least that's the hope...

Don't be fooled by sales guys at the store that have no idea of what you are talking Rob. The 2008 BTAC has not made it to Michigan yet and will not be on our shelves for another couple weeks. Then you can get your 2008 stuff for the bunker.

One of the VA boy's (Greg maybe) Loves the 1995 EWSB so I would not worry about you pick ups there 94 is very good as well.

Cheers!
Tony

callmeox
11-01-2008, 18:29
I stopped by my favorite local state store to check on the special order that I made through ODLC (not in yet...dang). I had not bought anything since I was at KBF, so I picked up a bottle of J.T.S Brown BIB.

I mean, I was there. I couldn't leave empty handed, right? :grin:

OscarV
11-01-2008, 18:35
Also Rob, those EWSB's you got are pre-fire HH.
Some say they are some of the best.
Early November of '96 there was a fire that destroyed the HH stills.
They now distill in Louisville.

jburlowski
11-02-2008, 06:35
Picked up an ER17 as a gift for a neighbor. While I was there I also got a bottle of the Woodford Reserve Sweet Mash (WR SM?).

purplehaze67
11-02-2008, 07:42
Don't be fooled by sales guys at the store that have no idea of what you are talking Rob. The 2008 BTAC has not made it to Michigan yet and will not be on our shelves for another couple weeks. Then you can get your 2008 stuff for the bunker.

One of the VA boy's (Greg maybe) Loves the 1995 EWSB so I would not worry about you pick ups there 94 is very good as well.

Cheers!
Tony

Thanks guys!

I am a little surprised that the guys at Grape Vine didn't know about the BTAC. I kinda had them pegged as a little more in-the-loop than most. Oh well, had I received accurate info about the 2008 release, I'd have put that $120 towards some other bottles.

Live and learn, I suppose...I need to bring a proof list next time, so I can be sure what I'm handed before I make my way to checkout.

gothbat
11-02-2008, 14:06
I think these are pretty good prices..what do you think?

Old Overhold Rye... $10.49
Old Weller 107......$15.99
Wathen's SB.,....$24.99

I think so too. I'm pretty sure that in my area Weller 107 can't be had for less than $20, I seldom see Wathen's around but the few times I have it was around $35, iirc. As for the OO, a couple of dollars less than what I've seen it for but I'm really not a fan of that one so I don't look for it.

polyamnesia
11-02-2008, 16:50
well, there it was and i've never had it before. a bottle of GEORGE DICKEL no. 12.....there was dust on it, but not sure if it's old...

and a small bottle of Evan Williams 7 year...so i could at least say i know what it tastes like....

T47
11-02-2008, 19:40
A buddy of mine just returned from a trip to TN. and brought me back a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch. That's a nice treat I look forward to opening!
I had another buddy who just got back from Thailand, he brought me a bottle of Thai Whiskey of some type. The label is all in Thai so I have no clue exactly what it is.
A little search turned up that it is Mee Khong Whiskey...pretty rough stuff...
A couple nice Liquid surprises.

purplehaze67
11-03-2008, 13:40
Nothing too big today. Was in Meijer's getting some groceries and happened upon Wild Turkey 101 gift sets, with a fifth and two rocks glasses. Wasn't really planning on buying bourbon, but since they were priced at $17.99 (under state min, I think) and the glasses provide some extra value, what the heck? Not like Wild Turkey is going to go to waste around me :cool:

I grabbed two, but just might have to go back and load up.

tigerlam92
11-03-2008, 13:52
Last week bought two bottles of PVW 13 rye to try and another bottle of the PVW15 just because, hahaha. The PVW 13 rye is definitely as good as everyone is saying and on par with all the premium van winkle lineup that I love and drink mostly. Also bought the ORVW10-107 to try as a daily pour since my PVW15 and GTS are draining way too fast as a daily pour.

Today, I picked up three bottles of George Stagg 2008 and 1 bottle of the Eagle Rare 17. This is perfect since I just finish up my GTS07 bottle. I'm also excited to try the ER17 as I have not tried it before and read some good review for the 2008 release. I haven't seen any notes on the 2008 GTS or ER17 on SB.com yet I think and was wondering if anyone tried them yet?

Cheers
--Hugh

OscarV
11-03-2008, 14:49
I picked up two Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 107prf, that's 8 in the bunker, it should hold me until the Spring release.

purplehaze67
11-03-2008, 17:05
Nothing too big today. Was in Meijer's getting some groceries and happened upon Wild Turkey 101 gift sets, with a fifth and two rocks glasses. Wasn't really planning on buying bourbon, but since they were priced at $17.99 (under state min, I think) and the glasses provide some extra value, what the heck? Not like Wild Turkey is going to go to waste around me :cool:

I grabbed two, but just might have to go back and load up.

Forget "might", I did. Added another 4 sets, even though one was on its back, which makes me wonder about the cork? Not sure how long it'd been like that or how long a cork can hold up doused with 101-proof alcohol. If the cork ends up ok, I got six bottles and 12 rocks glasses for the state minimum for five bottles. Good enough for me.

I did pass a different display in the store where they were all marked $20.99. I wonder if the cheaper ones were from a prior year...

ACDetroit
11-03-2008, 17:48
Nice job Rob! I love it when you can find whiskey for less than state min! Oh I should mention, nice new avatar! I think I know that guy!

Cheers!

Tony

purplehaze67
11-03-2008, 17:59
Yeah, that's me (bourbon glass in hand, out of range) at the tailgate! You still gotta poke your head in one of these weeks...

ThomasH
11-03-2008, 18:15
Today via USPS, from one OVH of the MBH ,via the 517, OF Repeal, AAA10 Party Source SB and FR Mariage, originating from Ky. but now residing in my bourbon heaven. Cheers!

Thomas

birdman1099
11-03-2008, 18:17
I found an Old Charter Classic 90 from Louisville, a 1.75 Old Fitz BIB, DSP 16 :grin: and a couple 1994 EWSB's.

I walked away from several 1.75's and liters of Wild Turkey 80 from 1990. I'm not sure I would enjoy the 80 proof version !!!

shyster512
11-04-2008, 18:34
Van Winkle Lot B, and an Eagle Rare 17.

Rake
11-06-2008, 14:07
Picked up the Old Forester Repeal set for $23.99. Still hurting over the the failure of the BTAC '08 to appear, but the OF ought to be good for the pain.

chilidawg7
11-06-2008, 15:16
Went to a local ABC to see if the BTAC had arrived yet. No such luck. But as I was checking out the stock locked in one of the cabinets, I noticed 6 bottles of Weller Centennial, marked at $30.99 each. The one in the back had the gold foil and I thought it may be non-Frankfort bottlings I've been looking out for. I asked the guy behind the counter to open it up for me and the gold foil was just like the rest of them - no luck there. BUT...

I figured I may as well pick one up as my supply is getting low, so I proceeded to check out. When he scanned the bottle, it came up $16.99. I looked at the total and said "I don't think that's right. You may want to scan that again." He cleared out the previous price, scanned it in again and VOILA - $16.99 again! He smiled and said "Guess it's your lucky day. $16.99 it is."

I decided not to tempt fate and go back and purchase the other 5 bottles, for fear they might scan at the correct price. :)

smokinjoe
11-06-2008, 15:46
Went to a local ABC to see if the BTAC had arrived yet. No such luck. But as I was checking out the stock locked in one of the cabinets, I noticed 6 bottles of Weller Centennial, marked at $30.99 each. The one in the back had the gold foil and I thought it may be non-Frankfort bottlings I've been looking out for. I asked the guy behind the counter to open it up for me and the gold foil was just like the rest of them - no luck there. BUT...

I figured I may as well pick one up as my supply is getting low, so I proceeded to check out. When he scanned the bottle, it came up $16.99. I looked at the total and said "I don't think that's right. You may want to scan that again." He cleared out the previous price, scanned it in again and VOILA - $16.99 again! He smiled and said "Guess it's your lucky day. $16.99 it is."

I decided not to tempt fate and go back and purchase the other 5 bottles, for fear they might scan at the correct price. :)
Pretty nice, Chili!
I've had the same type of experience on at least two occasions. I know the feeling you get when you think you should go back and get the rest, but fear that they will come up too high, or you'll lose the great price on the original. Oh, the torments of Bourbonia!
I would go back each day, and get one at a time. You're already ahead of the game. If you get hit for $30.99, it's what you expected, but you still have the $16.99 one in the bank. But, the Grand Slam is if you get ALL for $16.99. That, to me, would be a must do for this great whiskey.

gblick
11-07-2008, 07:29
Nice find, chilidawg7.
I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago with some ORVW 10/107 that was marked $12.99 on the shelf. I asked the guy if it was right, and he insisted it was.

JamesW
11-07-2008, 14:15
Picked up one WLW '2008, 3x ORVW 10/107, and 2x VSOF.... a haul of favorites :grin:

Scoots
11-07-2008, 17:29
I don't recall what web site I was on, but I read that the Van Winkle's recently released a batch of bourbon. I checked on my state's liquor control commission web site to see if they had recently received any of the Van Winkle bourbons. To my surprise, and I shouldn't have been, the state warehouse was already out of stock on all of the Van Winkle bourbons that they had ordered:
Old Rip Van Winkle 107 10yr, Van Winkle 12yr, Van Winkle Rye 13yr, Pappy Van Winkle's 107 15yr, and Pappy Van Winkle's 20yr.

I began making phone calls, but I was coming up with, "I just sold the last bottle on Friday or Saturday." The funny thing is, everyone told me that they had received their Van Winkle order on Tuesday, meaning that their Van Winkle inventory may have lasted a whopping 4 or 5 days!!!

A couple of liquor stores had a bottle or 2 of the 20 year bourbon, but I wanted a bottle of Old Rip, so that I could compare it to Old Weller Antique.

On my 9th liquor store, and I was getting desperate, I was answered with, "I have 1 bottle left!" I told the proprietor that I was only half an hour away and I was headed for the car!!!!!

This store had also received a small allotment of Van Winkle bourbons on Tuesday, Oct 28, and now has only 1 bottle of the 20yr bourbon remaining!

I am now home with my newly aquired bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 107 bourbon, haven't opened it yet. Still trying to catch my breath!

I forgot to mention that Old Rip 107 sold here in Oregon for $36 and Old Weller sells for $20.

What's Old Rip going for in your area?

gothbat
11-07-2008, 18:57
Picked up 2 VWSR12's. It's been a while since I've had some of this, probably over a year, and I've been really wanting some!

birdman1099
11-07-2008, 19:30
I found a WR Sweet Mash for $79. i hope it doesn't suck !!!!:skep:

OscarV
11-07-2008, 20:19
4 bottles of William Larue Weller from the 2008 BTAC.
I got my bottles a week late but I am looking forward to a great weekend.

I love this stuff.

BourbonJoe
11-08-2008, 11:41
I found a WR Sweet Mash for $79. i hope it doesn't suck !!!!:skep:

I asked the boys about it last night. They said there is no front end and there is no finish, but what's in the middle is good.

jburlowski
11-08-2008, 12:22
Got a PVW 15 and three Lot B's... for the bunker.

T47
11-08-2008, 16:53
While running errands I stopped in at a couple stores hoping for a surprise...but the selection was the typical fare. I ended up restocking my Ridgemont Reserve. A bottle that seems to get a lukewarm reception around here but one that I really enjoy.

chilidawg7
11-08-2008, 18:29
I ran across a bottle of VW Lot B tonight at a local store. Not sure what the going rate is, but I picked it up for $42.99 and didn't mind, as I had not yet tried this bourbon, and also because it has the name Van Winkle on it. :)

fishnbowljoe
11-08-2008, 23:52
Trip to Binny's.:woohoo: A bottle of 2007 WLW, and a bottle of VSOB 100 proof BIB for me. Also picked up a WTRB gift set along the way. Also got a couple of goodies at Binny's for another SB member. All is right with the world. Joe

lohssanami
11-09-2008, 02:45
I picked up:

Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 101
Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit Pewter Top (bottled in 95')

...at a small liquor store.

TNVoodooChilli
11-09-2008, 04:45
I bought a bottle of Four Roses last night at McScrooge's. (They have a really nice selection, by the way).

Anyhoo, the Roses was on my "to try" list; had a bit last night and really liked it.

ACDetroit
11-09-2008, 12:07
Not for me but for another SB.com brother from PA! I was fortunate enough to meet Doug and Joe on my trip this summer.

Anyway Doug had bought a bottle from me and we needed change and did not have it. So needless to say I owe Doug some coin! Well until last night, I grabbed the last one on the shelf sorry for anyone else that may have wanted one they are all gone.

The 7 year old age statement Old Crow decanter in the box still tax stamp sealed! do not have a photo to post but it looks very nice and Oscar and I tasted the one I opened the and still we want to know why anyone would want to make such nice juice so bad today!

See you in April Doug!

Tony

p_elliott
11-10-2008, 08:21
The 7 year old age statement Old Crow decanter in the box still tax stamp sealed! do not have a photo to post but it looks very nice and Oscar and I tasted the one I opened the and still we want to know why anyone would want to make such nice juice so bad today!

See you in April Doug!

Tony

Do you think any of the distilleries reps read any of the post on here and if they do does it have an impact on them?

birdman1099
11-10-2008, 08:59
Do you think any of the distilleries reps read any of the post on here

Perhaps !!!!:skep:

...and if they do does it have an impact on them?

Probably not !!!:hot:

JamesW
11-10-2008, 11:54
Picked up 1 x ORVW 10/107, 2 x PVW15, 1 x Lot B for the bunker. Prices have jumped here, PVW is $65, ORVW is $40, and Lot B went to $55. I had last years prices locked in with this place (had them on order so I saved a bundle but next time around will be brutal).

ACDetroit
11-10-2008, 13:47
Do you think any of the distilleries reps read any of the post on here and if they do does it have an impact on them?

Yes Paul, there are some reps from a couple places on here. Do I think it has an effect on them? Not really...I could scream until I passed out and gave myself a closed head injury and JB White Label will still be the best selling Bourbon and Old Crow will still be their Red headed Step child in the corner. If you ever get a chance to try some pre-Beam Old Crow, please do! Note to self, if I don't drink it all bring this to the Spring Sampler!

Tony

gothbat
11-10-2008, 14:36
I'm told a box containing the following should be arriving on Wed, just in time as that is when I'll be returning from Whiskyfest:

'08 GTS
'08 WLW
'08 THH
'08 Saz18
Rittenhouse BIB

As with previous years I've been excited to get my hands on the latest BTAC bottles (Not really a fan of ER17 so I passed on it again.) but it's been so long since I've had Rittenhouse BIB I think I'm just as excited, or perhaps slightly more excited, to be receiving that! :]

polyamnesia
11-10-2008, 16:35
i just bought (after consideration) a bottle of EZRA BROOKS 12 year SINGLE BARREL (bourbon enthusiast reviews from folks here helped!)...

yum.

at least for me, very similar to the EAGLE RARE 10....but this is quite smooth, complex, better. maybe only because it's on my tongue right NOW...

comes from BARREL 313, and dumped into the bottle on 2-08 (as written).

there are still 5 bottles left, 2 from barrel 313, and 3 from 312...worth $25 easily

ACDetroit
11-10-2008, 16:56
i just bought (after consideration) a bottle of EZRA BROOKS 12 year SINGLE BARREL (bourbon enthusiast reviews from folks here helped!)...

yum.

at least for me, very similar to the EAGLE RARE 10....but this is quite smooth, complex, better. maybe only because it's on my tongue right NOW...

comes from BARREL 313, and dumped into the bottle on 2-08 (as written).

there are still 5 bottles left, 2 from barrel 313, and 3 from 312...worth $25 easily

Is this a Ezra Brooks 12 yr or is it the little squaty Ezra B 12 yr old with the Blue wax on the neck? Just wondered cause I have not seen Ezra Brooks 12 yr old in some time unless it was from over seas.

Tony

polyamnesia
11-10-2008, 17:23
hey tony! and no, it's the squatty blue waxer! but it's really tasty and i can at least tell it's 12 years and simply high quality. really. on THIS board, read some positives. on the Enthusiast, i think more positives. . .:rolleyes: :grin:

i REALLY wish i has bought another one of those GIANT bottles of ER10yr....when they were cashing out here in PA at 34.00 a bottle....

but right now, pour #3 of this EB is singing my tongue really well...dark chocolate and a slice of homemade bread with asiago cheese are really working well with it....:)

99 proof if that helps....

BY THE WAY.......i trust yer judgement...! and should i spend $40 for a remaining bottle of WTRR101 i've seen? only one in the big vicinity of Philly that i know of......................

ACDetroit
11-10-2008, 20:59
BY THE WAY.......i trust yer judgement...! and should i spend $40 for a remaining bottle of WTRR101 i've seen? only one in the big vicinity of Philly that i know of......................

Tough call there! See ORVW 10/107 is $39.99 here but I never paid much over $30 for the WTRR101 and most of them were in the mid $20's. If you really like WT then yes I say get it! If it's just to try you could buy a couple Weller Antique 107's for that kind of coin!
I will say that the WTRR101 is atrain load better than the current release, and I do enjoy it! If you have the extra $40 I'd say yes if it cuts into the monthly bourbon budget skip it.

Sorry I'm so wishy washy!
Tony

I to have a bottle of the Ezra B 12yr olde and one left of the Ezra B 15 yr as well. Glad to here the 12 is tasty.

spun_cookie
11-10-2008, 21:38
Tough call there! See ORVW 10/107 is $39.99 here but I never paid much over $30 for the WTRR101 and most of them were in the mid $20's. If you really like WT then yes I say get it! If it's just to try you could buy a couple Weller Antique 107's for that kind of coin!
I will say that the WTRR101 is atrain load better than the current release, and I do enjoy it! If you have the extra $40 I'd say yes if it cuts into the monthly bourbon budget skip it.

Sorry I'm so wishy washy!
Tony

I to have a bottle of the Ezra B 12yr olde and one left of the Ezra B 15 yr as well. Glad to here the 12 is tasty.

Poly, if you have never had the WTRR 101, you will not be disappointed with it. One of the best $40 on the market... You cannot trust Tony's value per $$$... not all of us have a Garden of Eden quite like his for those $$$...

He will tell you it is damn good juice...

polyamnesia
11-11-2008, 08:17
Poly, if you have never had the WTRR 101, you will not be disappointed with it. One of the best $40 on the market... You cannot trust Tony's value per $$$... not all of us have a Garden of Eden quite like his for those $$$...

He will tell you it is damn good juice...

hey and thanks to you both!

no, i've had the RR101 once...last year...all i remember is that it was GREAT!:bowdown: but then, i let that other bottle sit and sit (and i bet it is STILL there) when i read that folks were finding it for much cheaper...THEN i read more recently that they were getting scarce...and prices were going up....

anyways, for sure, it is worth the $40....and i'll nab it and try to make it last! thanks for the nudge:grin:

Rughi
11-11-2008, 08:30
Yep
You've got to serve either the master of the low dollar or the master of the high quality. A lot of quality slips through one's fingers while wringing one's hands agonizing over a few bucks.

I always tell people that in hunting for dusty bottles that an extra $3 can be your best friend, because without it the bottle would have gone years before you ever saw it.

And, if the lowest price is really king, get several cases of VOB, Rittenhouse Bond and AAA 10yo and stop looking.

Roger

ACDetroit
11-11-2008, 08:39
Yep
You've got to serve either the master of the low dollar or the master of the high quality. A lot of quality slips through one's fingers while wringing one's hands agonizing over a few bucks.

I always tell people that in hunting for dusty bottles that an extra $3 can be your best friend, because without it the bottle would have gone years before you ever saw it.

And, if the lowest price is really king, get several cases of VOB, Rittenhouse Bond and AAA 10yo and stop looking.

Roger

Roger, that is a great analogy! I just wish you'd have posted it a little over a year ago :grin::lol: ! Oh well, the Bunker is what it is...if you run across something you like and do not have? What's it's true value?

I say buy em and worry about the few dollars another time.

Although the 3 Roger listed should be on the what to Horde Next thread as well.

Thanks,

Tony

chefnash51
11-11-2008, 10:38
I've been enjoying my bottle of WT RB so much that I decided to grab the last one I have seen in my area..

ended up leaving with a WTKS (06 bottling) and a PVW15 instead. I must have been standing in the store for 15 minutes just staring at the PVW15 while I was trying to decide if I should buy it. "Do I really need a 7th bottle of this...?"

Guess I will have to wait on the WTRB and hope it's still there.

funknik
11-11-2008, 15:09
Old Whiskey River 6yr -- supposedly unavailable in Maine, but I found three bottles with about an inch of dust on them. I haven't tried this one yet, but I thought I should grab it while I can.

jburlowski
11-11-2008, 15:12
...I could scream until I passed out and gave myself a closed head injury and JB White Label will still be the best selling Bourbon and Old Crow will still be their Red headed Step child in the corner. Tony

Somebody pour this man a drink... quick!

polyamnesia
11-11-2008, 15:48
it was scary how fast that Ezra B. 12 single barrel was going down last night...about 1/3 is gone.....i can't live like that! so....to ease the wallet AND stay in the family, i went for the Ezra Brook 90...yep, the cheaper stuff....at $10.99 a bottle (but got a rebate thing for $2 off!)....and ya know, it isn't a masterpiece, but then, it is no disaster either!

similar somehow to the Old Taylor 6, but a bit punchier (90 proof is always better than 80...).

and heck, MUCH better than JD! might make one Whiskey Sour with this...but it's smooth.

now i heard these have switched to a fake cork. mine isn't fake. would this be a bit older?

onmytrack
11-11-2008, 18:54
Finally found a '08 WLW & a '08 Handy. Threw in a '08 ER17 to complete the order.

Jim

kickert
11-11-2008, 20:12
Old Charter 12 (Classic 90). Last one in the store and got it for $20.

HighTower
11-11-2008, 23:58
Postman came today. Delivered 2 bottles of Willett's pot still.
Thanks Thomas, like you said they were packed like bricks!

Then the FedEx guy arrived with a swag of Knob Creek

Cheers!

Scott

camduncan
11-12-2008, 02:12
Awesome stuff Scott!!! :cool: Thanks for the 'teaser' photo of the Willetts you sent to my mobile to ;) :D:D

gblick
11-12-2008, 18:45
There's this one liquor store that I stop into at least every two weeks to see if he has gotten any more Van Winkle in, and the guy there is always sorry to tell me that he hasn't gotten any in yet. So I kind of got tired of stopping in to check, and I let over a month go by without going in there. Well today I decided to give it another try, and low and behold he had a single bottle of ORVW on the shelf. Without even looking at the price or anything I take it to the counter, only to find when I get up there that it's ORVW 15/107 (Frankfort bottling dated '02). I asked him when he got it in, and he said about three weeks ago four bottles arrived along with one PVW20, but some guy came in about two weeks ago and bought three of them plus the PVW20. Why he left the one, I'll never know, but I thank him. Yippee!

tigerlam92
11-12-2008, 21:09
There's this one liquor store that I stop into at least every two weeks to see if he has gotten any more Van Winkle in, and the guy there is always sorry to tell me that he hasn't gotten any in yet. So I kind of got tired of stopping in to check, and I let over a month go by without going in there. Well today I decided to give it another try, and low and behold he had a single bottle of ORVW on the shelf. Without even looking at the price or anything I take it to the counter, only to find when I get up there that it's ORVW 15/107 (Frankfort bottling dated '02). I asked him when he got it in, and he said about three weeks ago four bottles arrived along with one PVW20, but some guy came in about two weeks ago and bought three of them plus the PVW20. Why he left the one, I'll never know, but I thank him. Yippee!

Congrat!! ORVW15 is amazing. I still have one bottle in my bunker. This is almost impossible to find anywhere and is one of my favorite. I rank this over the PVW15 and PVW20. When I was naive, I went through a couple of bottles within a month and now my only bottle just sits there waiting for a day I'll break down and drink it.

Today, I purchased two LotB and another PVW15 for my bunker. Finishing up my first pour of LotB now and it is a really nice pour. I'm starting on my second pour with the GTS08.

Cheers
--Hugh

chilidawg7
11-13-2008, 16:03
The UPS man dropped off a present today from a fellow SB.com member! The haul is shown below. I have not yet tried either of these fine bourbons, so I am looking forward to enjoying them tonight.

http://xea.xanga.com/72ec947441530220428703/m172838173.jpg

fishnbowljoe
11-14-2008, 15:48
Fedex delivered a package for me yesterday, also from a fellow SB.com member. Two bottles of Weller Centennial. I had a couple of tastes last night. Great stuff. Joe

PS Chilidawg, Isn't it strange how two of us received packages from fellow SB.com members on the same day? :slappin:

polyamnesia
11-14-2008, 16:57
old (?), dirty/dusty (!) bottle of J.W. Dant 100.

onmytrack
11-14-2008, 17:50
I took my own advice from the "What Should You Start Hoarding Now?" thread and added some more Pappy 15 (3) and some ORVW 107 (3). It is just going to keep going up and up in price.

Jim

Special Reserve
11-14-2008, 18:25
I took my own advice from the "What Should You Start Hoarding Now?" thread and added some more Pappy 15 (3) and some ORVW 107 (3). It is just going to keep going up and up in price.

Jim

Good choices! I like them both.

Martian
11-15-2008, 12:31
EC 12. This is the one I usually grab for sipping neat during fall and winter.

nor02lei
11-15-2008, 14:11
I did win these 3 1/10 bottles on an auction today. It will take over a week before I get it home though.

Leif

shyster512
11-15-2008, 14:50
Dave Z would kill for the Hickory!

chefnash51
11-16-2008, 10:52
got 3 lovely bottles added to my bunker

from the BTAC 08 line I went with:

Stagg
Weller
T.H. Handy

So far I have opened the Weller.. wow. the others won't open until I finish my 07 Stagg.

nor02lei
11-16-2008, 13:50
I did win a WT 17 on E-bay just one hour ago. I have looked a long time for that one.

Leif

dave ziegler
11-16-2008, 17:13
I bought something that I thought would be nice with Beer today and it is great with Beer. I bought a bottle of WT American Honey bourbon Liqour. It is a very nice Mild Whiskey to sip with a glass of Beer and I must admit I love having Beer with whiskey!
Dave Z

purplehaze67
11-17-2008, 11:02
Big day for the haze...took advantage of the Shopper's Vineyard deal to grab 6 bottles of Rittenhouse Rye BIB, then off to a local store to see about some 2008 BTAC. There I got a GTS, WLW and THH along with a WT Rye, just for the heck of it.

10 bottles, most of which will be stashed for who knows when...I better slow down for a tad. Or at least till next payday :slappin:

polyamnesia
11-17-2008, 15:26
well, i decided to wait on getting that Henry McKenna dusty...made the leap for the OLD FORESTER Signature at $19...just about to give it a taste!

Nokia
11-17-2008, 18:51
Finally! I was able to pick up an Eagle Rare 17, two Staggs and a Handy rye today. Passed on the Sazerac and Weller was missing. Grabbed a third Stagg at a store around the corner from me on the way home. One 3 pack of Stagg was all they had received and I had to wait for them to get the price in the system. But it is open and it is good!

GOCOUGS2002
11-17-2008, 21:28
Picked up a bottle of Blanton's Single Barrel here in Washington, which according to the store employee is a new offering.

funknik
11-18-2008, 03:47
A couple of dusty bottles of Rare Breed W-T-01-96.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff159/funknik/100_1568.jpg

purplehaze67
11-18-2008, 12:42
Big day for the haze...took advantage of the Shopper's Vineyard deal to grab 6 bottles of Rittenhouse Rye BIB, then off to a local store to see about some 2008 BTAC. There I got a GTS, WLW and THH along with a WT Rye, just for the heck of it.

10 bottles, most of which will be stashed for who knows when...I better slow down for a tad. Or at least till next payday :slappin:

Whoops, forgot about the snipe I put in on this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120332219430

Seller agreed to waive shipping due to a slight issue with a prior purchase, so I guess that's a pretty good deal? But this brings me to 11 bottles purchased yesterday, so now I'd better really take a break, at least until the next "must have" crosses my path...

OscarV
11-18-2008, 15:57
I love to see boxes on my doorstep when I get home from work.
Today it was a William Larue Weller from the 2007 BTAC.

PhilsFan
11-18-2008, 17:13
I went out to get AAA 10yr after trying some last Friday, and as a bonus, they had gotten in ORVW 10/107
(I hadn't seen anything but the 90 in stores for a long time), so I bought a bottle of AAA and two of ORVW 10/107. So I've got one dwindling bottle and now 3 full bottles of ORVW to last me through the next drought of the stuff!

-Joe

shannichols
11-18-2008, 20:24
I picked up the 6 and 10 year Zinfandel finished Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection today from Binny's in Schaumburg. I'm looking forward to popping these open with my dad at Christmastime over a roaring fire and a bottle of Rosenblum Zinfandel to go with them.

http://i33.tinypic.com/29eonxj.jpg

fishnbowljoe
11-18-2008, 20:43
Nice pick up Shan. I was at the Schaumburg store Saturday the 8th, and I didn't see them then. They must have just come in. Joe

shannichols
11-18-2008, 20:54
Nice pick up Shan. I was at the Schaumburg store Saturday the 8th, and I didn't see them then. They must have just come in. Joe

Well they kind of weren't there at the time you were there. I got in touch with Brett at the Loop location and he had them sent out to Schaumburg because I am out here this week for business and wasn't sure if I could get into the city. I'm probably going to head back there tomorrow to spend a little more time browsing the offerings they have that we just don't have in ATL.

Markoturbo
11-19-2008, 22:05
One local store just got in, so I had to purchase Stagg 08 and VW Rye. so good, Mark

OscarV
11-20-2008, 13:01
OK all y'all out there, I got something a little different today.
Three bottles of samples to wholesalers and retailers in Japan from the Four Roses Distillery.
They are 50ml bottles and the front labels say,

The Four Roses Distillery
Spicy Type

Fruity Type

Floral Type

The back labels are in Japanese.
I wish I knew exactley what the mashbills and yeast strains are.
But I would assume they, (4R), are showcasing their potential.

GregSVT
11-20-2008, 15:04
Yesterday I picked up one of each:
Eagle Rare 17
Sazerac 18
Thomas H Handy
William Larue Weller
George Stagg

razerburnt
11-20-2008, 15:43
after work I picked up another Handy, WLW, and ER17 for 51.99 each and a PVW 20 for 60.00! the store around the corner from me ordered them in for me, couldn't believe the prices.

Randy.

gblick
11-21-2008, 06:58
This year's BTAC has arrived at Spec's in downtown Houston, as well as the latest Van Winkles.

I picked up a WLW and a ORVW 10/107.

They did not put the 10/12/15yo Van Winkles on the shelf as usual, you have to ask for them, and they will only sell one bottle per customer (I'm assuming of each expression). I guess they are trying to stretch them out to give more people a chance to have some.

polyamnesia
11-21-2008, 18:03
Elijah Craig 12...cork looks good...i hope the innards are even better!

Rake
11-22-2008, 02:02
Picked up a Virginia Gentleman ("The Fox") for myself and a WT Old No. 8 for Mr. Spun Cookie.

tigerlam92
11-22-2008, 13:35
They did not put the 10/12/15yo Van Winkles on the shelf as usual, you have to ask for them, and they will only sell one bottle per customer (I'm assuming of each expression). I guess they are trying to stretch them out to give more people a chance to have some.

This is very true and I think for many places. I do the same here.

Cheers
--Hugh

spun_cookie
11-22-2008, 16:48
I left Fishbowljoe and the LostPolito (Binny's Joe) with my CC number and many, many shelves worth of bourbon... I think I got a few BTAC... but you never know :D

So tell me Joe-Joes... what did I get :searching:

Lost Pollito
11-22-2008, 17:28
Some great BTAC's. Eagle, George , and good ole Mr. Weller. Joe even brought me a Laktke from Manny's. I have no complaints about work today. Now get to drinkin. Think I'm gonna buy AA preferred blend and go to town.

fishnbowljoe
11-22-2008, 19:47
Binny's trip today. Met up with TomH and Barb there. I got to meet Lost Pollito. I picked up a bunch of stuff for Em. He bought me a bottle of Weller 12. (I think) I got a bottle of 2008 BTAC ER, and a Binny's bottling of FRSB #1 for myself. There's also a bottle of Willett 27 year old that looks really good on my shelf.:cool: :slappin: My buddy who went with me is happy too. He usually has a tough time finding the right Christmas present for his father in-law. His father in-law drinks Chivas. My friend (with a little help from his brother in-law) bought three different varieties/gift sets of Chivas for his father in-law, and is very happy knowing that he will be very pleased come Christmas. All in all a fantastic day!

PS Thanks for the hospitality Joe. Thank Bret again for us too

polyamnesia
11-22-2008, 20:19
well, the WT 101 is on sale again here in PA...came with a free mini of the American Honey...it's in the freezer now. it will be part of my breakfast:grin:

Special Reserve
11-23-2008, 07:47
well, the WT 101 is on sale again here in PA...came with a free mini of the American Honey...it's in the freezer now. it will be part of my breakfast:grin:

Bourbon for breakfast, now that's an idea! I don't know if American Honey is compatible with a diabetics life style. I think WT101 is.

polyamnesia
11-23-2008, 12:33
Bourbon for breakfast, now that's an idea! I don't know if American Honey is compatible with a diabetics life style. I think WT101 is.

well, i usually take a spoonful of raw honey in the morning and/or with my oatmeal....figured i'd alter it a bit!

anyways, after this 'breakfast' (see notes at http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11175 !), i did 'chase' is with V8, orange juice and an egg/toasted salami sandwich:grin:

HighTower
11-24-2008, 03:53
Today I received a care package from Oregon.

Thanks Christian, you are the man!:cool:

chefnash51
11-24-2008, 06:11
I was lukcy to find more BTAC offerings. So I picked up another round of:

Stagg
WLW
Handy

and I was at a restaurant and they had pours of Sazerac 18 yr old for $5, never having it before I couldn't resist. It was delightful, I was tempted to grab the only bottle of it I have seen, but I am already way over what I want to spend.

So I settled on a Saz jr, which was good.. but not as good.

Is the Saz 18 closer to the Saz jr or the Handy in profile?

Stones
11-24-2008, 22:48

Wow, that's a bunch of fine dusties Scott. :yum:

HighTower
11-25-2008, 05:16
I can't wait to try the Weller Centennial this weekend!
From what I hear, it is the ducks nuts. It is SW bourbon.

Scott

Attila
11-25-2008, 09:29
It is the duck's nuts.

Today i purchased VWFRR13 (as a gift). I also purchased blanton's silver (also as a gift).

ggilbertva
11-25-2008, 16:00
BTAC finally showed up here in VA. Picked up a case of Saz 18, 1 ER, and a case of Stagg. Tomorrow my wife will be picking up a case of each bottling from another store.

Virus_Of_Life
11-25-2008, 16:30

Hhhmmm, I could have swore I sent you premium olive oil! :slappin: Glad to see it got there very quickly and safely!

I can't wait to try the Weller Centennial this weekend!
From what I hear, it is the ducks nuts. It is SW bourbon. There is some speculation it may not be S-W. I was told it was but whatever the truth is, it is some damn fine bourbon! I've been known to go through a bottle in less than a month; therefore I don't keep one open any longer...

Lost Pollito
11-25-2008, 16:38
Bottom shelf today. Think I'm gonna try AA preferred blend. Don't think I'll like it as much as AAA, but I really like the bottle.

Rake
11-25-2008, 17:15
Found a new supply of Rittenhouse BIB selling for $13.99, so I picked one up for the bunker.

Special Reserve
11-25-2008, 17:22
ORVW 10/107 went into a store to get some wine for Thursday and there was this lonely ORVW 10/107 on the shelf, now it has company in my bunker.

This stuff is addictive.

GOCOUGS2002
11-25-2008, 19:09
Picked up a bottle of WT101 today, this will be last one (or so I think) until I start the dusty and not available in Washington hunting/road trip on my way to San Antonio

edo
11-26-2008, 02:18
Our November Whisk(e)y Club order came in. This was in the box for me!:cool:

Very Old Saint Nick Winter Rye
Wild Turkey Rye
Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 y.o.
Blanton's Original Single Barrel Bourbon

and, uh, uhm....

Highland Park 12 y.o.

Attila
11-26-2008, 07:08
Also picked up Bookers, again, as a gift.

I gotta start getting stuff for myself and stop getting so many darn gifts.

polyamnesia
11-26-2008, 14:00
MY FIRST VAN WINKLE! (haven't opened it yet)...

Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 yr old

i am sure it's worth the $44.99 it cost...since i saw no BTACs this year, i figured it was time.:grin:

Lost Pollito
11-26-2008, 14:05
Poly, if you got the Lot B, you won't be disappointed.

polyamnesia
11-26-2008, 14:21
Poly, if you got the Lot B, you won't be disappointed.

it IS Lot B.....and it ISN'T disappointing!:grin:

very pleased with it. now to attempt to continue savoring it and not letting the mind's discriminating factors of appearance nose taste and finish get in the way of the unified whole.

BengalMan
11-26-2008, 16:11
Today I picked up another bottle of this years release of the Sazerac 18 and the Thomas Handy.

Stones
11-26-2008, 16:36
Hhhmmm, I could have swore I sent you premium olive oil! :slappin: Glad to see it got there very quickly and safely!

There is some speculation it may not be S-W. I was told it was but whatever the truth is, it is some damn fine bourbon! I've been known to go through a bottle in less than a month; therefore I don't keep one open any longer...

SW centennial olive oil sounds intriguing! Wow, the old bourbon, only the privileged will ever know how it tastes... i am envious.

gothbat
11-26-2008, 17:49
They finally got Rittenhouse BIB back in stock by me! There were 3 on the shelf when I got there to pick up some decent vodka and mixers for my cousin as a housewarming gift (bought them a mixing set, couldn't not get them something to mix in it...) and there they were. Needless to say the store is now out of Rittenhouse BIB despite their price increase. (They were $15.99 and I believe the last time I got them there, months ago, they were only $11.49 or $12.99 tops.). It's still probably cheaper than most, if not all, of my whiskey purchases in the past year and this stuff probably outshines half of them, at the very least! :woohoo:

ggilbertva
11-26-2008, 18:48
This is an oops purchase. Back in the Spring, I ordered a case of each BTAC bottle to be split three ways. I asked my wife to pick up the order today and somewhere the order got translated to 3 cases each for 3 people....this is what my wife brought home.

OscarV
11-26-2008, 18:58
What a bummer Greg.
I hate it when retailers screw up an order.
Well I'll help you out.
Just ship the extras up to me to free up space on your table.
You can thank me later.

Special Reserve
11-26-2008, 19:00
This is an oops purchase. Back in the Spring, I ordered a case of each BTAC bottle to be split three ways. I asked my wife to pick up the order today and somewhere the order got translated to 3 cases each for 3 people....this is what my wife brought home.

Well, at least you're sitting pretty with bourbon and rye. I wish my wife knew how to pull that trick!

Enjoy!

spun_cookie
11-26-2008, 19:25
WHat you should be more impressed with is that she thought is was the right order and brought it home to him... and did not kill him... Does she have a sister :D

ggilbertva
11-26-2008, 19:45
She does...the sister would have killed me.

BourbonJoe
11-27-2008, 03:03
Holy Moley Batman. Nice haul Greg and thanks for helping out the dismal economy.

Skunk
11-28-2008, 17:39
I actually passed on this one, but am still considering it so posted here. The Hirsch Selection Small Batch Bourbon, 4yo according to BevMo site (?), but no details in the Preiss press release, or from a search here and google. Anyone that has tried this? Worth 35+ dollars?

OscarV
11-28-2008, 18:08
I actually passed on this one, but am still considering it so posted here. The Hirsch Selection Small Batch Bourbon, 4yo according to BevMo site (?), but no details in the Preiss press release, or from a search here and google. Anyone that has tried this? Worth 35+ dollars?

For $35.00 you can do a heck of a lot better.

jpact
11-30-2008, 15:56
I was up in Wisconsin visiting the in-laws for Thanksgiving and had a chance to go whiskey shopping in Madison. Picked up a few bottles that I not seen in my neck of the woods. This is all virgin territory for me!

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2007
Willett Pot Still Reserve
Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye
George T. Stagg
Death's Door Whisky
Penderyn AC Single Malt Welsh

The Death's Door is a wheat whisky distilled in Madison and made from wheat grown in Door County. It is clear as vodka and doesn't have an age statement, bottled at 80 proof; I'm a little bit scared.

I'm extremely fired up about finally getting my hands on a Stagg, and I have an intense curiosity regarding the Penderyn.

There were a few VW Lot B's at $39 that I passed on, since I have a couple in reserve. And I probably should have grabbed an Old Fitz BIB just because it's not in my market.

Man, this website has really expanded my awareness of what is out there, and shopping when I travel is a blast!

GOCOUGS2002
11-30-2008, 16:21
Visited the in-laws in Spokane for Thanksgiving, threw on my Bourbon Hound hat and made a trip into Idaho to see what they have. Picked up Bulleit, AAA, EC18, and Baker's, which I either couldn't find at my local liquor store or it was cheaper than Washington.

Josh
11-30-2008, 19:13
On Friday was down in "the old country" for thanksgiving and picked up some stuff that is old hat to most but new to me. Dickel Master Distiller's whatever, Rittenhouse BIB, Old Overholt, Old Fitz BIB and a single barrel BT selected by the intoxicant retailer. Had a sample of the Jefferson and Beam's Ri. Oh and finished Chuck's book today too. Great stuff. The wife is thinking of writing a business case on MM's marketing based on a chapter in it. :)

HipFlask
11-30-2008, 20:06
1 Willetts Family Estate Bottled Single Barrel. This is the first time I have seen it in Wisconsin. Also the jumbo bottle of BT for this years egg nog along with 2 Rittenhouse BIB's, a bottle of Grey Goose vodka and bloody mary fixins(Spicy green beans, garlic stuffed olives, pickled onions, pickled aspargrus, pepper jack cheese sticks, meat sticks, and spicey bloody mary mix. I justed needed to have a good bloody while watching the Packers loose another one. It went down good with a beer back.

polyamnesia
12-01-2008, 14:51
did a double barrel (proof) blast to my checking account...

Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Old Grand Dad 114

i know what i like, but i often prefer to take a chance and try something new....

still, not bad at $30.99 for one and $20.99 for the other....OGD114 is really unique and this, bottle #2, is slowly becoming a favorite. at least, from my limited experience, nothing quite like IT...:)

OscarV
12-01-2008, 14:54
I to picked up a Rare Breed today in the wood gift box, (has a cool metal latch) with 2 great looking rocks galsses.

Also that is what I am drinking now.

JamesW
12-03-2008, 19:19
Picked up another ORVW 10/107 for the bunker

Megawatt
12-03-2008, 19:46
I picked up some Wild Turkey 80-proof today. Not outstanding, but decent enough. It sucks that there is hardly any bourbon available here. We have literally about five or six kinds to choose from.

bvscfanatic
12-03-2008, 19:56
I to picked up a Rare Breed today in the wood gift box, (has a cool metal latch) with 2 great looking rocks galsses.

Also that is what I am drinking now.

Ha! I almost did too. But I didn't. And it was difficult to resist stocking up on WT101 being on sale for $35 for the half gallon.

But what I bought today is the Weller Antique 107.

Last night I bought quite a variety. Things I've been wanting to try. You might call it a belated birthday present to myself. Last night I purchased:

Ancient Age 10 Year *
Ancient Age 100 *
Bulleit Frontier (recommended to me for high rye content)
Fighting Cock (one of my personal favorites)
Old Grand Dad BIB (haven't had it in a while)
Old Fitzgerald BIB *
Elijiah Craig 12 *(will probably await a special occasion)

Those with an asterisk are bourbons I have not yet tried.

funknik
12-03-2008, 20:40
Another bottle of VSOF for the bunker. Thanks for the info on this in the "worth it?" thread, Tony. This is one my new favorites.

Cheers!

kickert
12-04-2008, 20:18
Purchased my first bottle of Pappy 20. Turns out it is tough to find here in Bowling Green. It was the only bottle in town (and was at a smaller store). There is tons of Pappy 23 ranging from $199-299, but next to no 20 yo.

There is a group of us who will be splitting this bottle. If anyone in the area (Bowling Green, KY) wants in, just let me know.

fishnbowljoe
12-05-2008, 19:18
Picked up two of the Old Forester Repeal Bourbon sets tonight. Happy Anniversary to us! Joe

p_elliott
12-05-2008, 23:33
The William Larue Weller came in the mail today tried one glass, man is that good bourbon! Wish I could describe the taste but I can not put it into words.

jburlowski
12-06-2008, 14:35
It's really strange where "finds" turn up... my wife wanted to get a bottle of port to sip by the fire. Since the weather sucks today (ice and snow and numerous wrecks) we stopped at a Krogers liquor store. There, on an upper shelf, were several bottles of EWSB 1992. Got em!

ggilbertva
12-06-2008, 16:17
It's really strange where "finds" turn up... my wife wanted to get a bottle of port to sip by the fire. Since the weather sucks today (ice and snow and numerous wrecks) we stopped at a Krogers liquor store. There, on an upper shelf, were several bottles of EWSB 1992. Got em!

Those finds make up for the cruddy weather. Nice job.

callmeox
12-06-2008, 20:01
I picked up an EWSB '98 on the way to get cat food. I think the car turns into the beverage store parking lot all by itself. :cool:

Old Lamplighter
12-06-2008, 21:17
Found an older WLW Antique, 129.9 Pf. I think this was the 2005 release if memory serves me right.

birdman1099
12-06-2008, 22:06
Found an older WLW Antique, 129.9 Pf. I think this was the 2005 release if memory serves me right.

Even better, that is the coveted 2006. Nice one !!!!:grin: (if you want, I will trade you an 05 for it!!!):skep:

I acquired another Old Forester BB 2007 !!!!

p_elliott
12-07-2008, 01:54
Picked up a Woodford Reserve and a EWSB 1995 for the first time I may say the EWSB is mighty tasty for the price . The more you drink it the better it gets.

birdman1099
12-08-2008, 16:40
I ran across some Stitzel Weller Old Fitz today.......

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/Birdman1099/DSCN0002.jpg

"I didn't even have to use my AK......":grin:

Special Reserve
12-08-2008, 16:49
Now that's a great find. I was happy when I found one of those!

Congratulations!

OscarV
12-08-2008, 17:06
"I didn't even have to use my AK......":grin:

Damn Dude, but did you get a Fatburger after you dropped her off?

I for one f**ked around and scored a triple-double!

birdman1099
12-08-2008, 17:14
Damn Dude, but did you get a Fatburger after you dropped her off?

I for one f**ked around and scored a triple-double!

Very nice !!!! No fatburger (Sonic burgers for me !!!)

Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read Birdman's a pimp :grin:

OscarV
12-08-2008, 17:33

Compton and Long Beach together,
now you know you in trouble!

GOCOUGS2002
12-08-2008, 20:49

Bird, you need to include that on your signature block!

spun_cookie
12-08-2008, 23:11
Compton and Long Beach together,
now you know you in trouble!

A'int Nothing but an "E" Thang Babe'

Picked myself up another chess set of Crow today. I love a good drinking game of Strategy :D

...that and a case and a quart of WTRR 101.... not a bad day... not at all....

"I know you're bobbin your head, cause I can see you" :banghead:

Virus_Of_Life
12-09-2008, 14:31
Wow, I think this is the first quoting of Snoop Dogg here on SB.com, not sure what to think about that I've always been more of a Nas fan myself. Apparently I need what you guys are drinking!

mgilbertva
12-09-2008, 14:41
That last taste of Crow Chess was outstanding. And now another one? You do have the touch.

OscarV
12-09-2008, 15:38
Wow, I think this is the first quoting of Snoop Dogg here on SB.com, not sure what to think about that I've always been more of a Nas fan myself. Apparently I need what you guys are drinking!

I'll answer only because you are a Moderator.:cool:

Q: Drinking?
A: Bourbon.

Favorite Snoop lick?
That would be,.... "Gettin' funky on the mike like an ole patch of collard greens."

Lost Pollito
12-09-2008, 16:14
Rock that Mic Oscar!!!!:cool:

Old Lamplighter
12-09-2008, 17:52
Found a 1L WT "Old No. 8"......the guy said it had been there a while and gave me yesteryear's price of $21 + tax. Also, happened across a couple "I" releases of VWFRR for $45 (10&#37; off on Tuesdays) which was what I paid last year before any discount. They only had 2 and I figured I would never see them again for under $50 so I grabbed 'em.

Skunk
12-09-2008, 17:58
I got a pocket full of Stitzel and my homeboys do too. :toast:

Bought these today for five bucks each:

birdman1099
12-09-2008, 19:09
Very Nice, Skunk !!!!!:shocked:

I guess I haven't hit ALL Indy Liq's !!!!!:skep:

Same me a sip of that stuff !!!:grin:

fishnbowljoe
12-09-2008, 19:29
It saddens me to think about all the bourbon I left behind when I left Indy 20 years ago.:cry: Joe

GreggB
12-10-2008, 10:16
Question on the photos of Old Fitz posted by Birdman, said to be from Stitzel-Weller. How do you tell?

I have seen bottles like that here in St. Louis, the label says distilled in Louisville, bottled at DSP 1, whatever that means.

Help me out here.

ggilbertva
12-10-2008, 12:45
Gregg,

DSP-1 stands for Distilled Spirits Plant #1 which is Bernheim. Stizel Weller would be DSP-16. Any Old Fitz bottled with DSP-16 is most assuredly, SW whiskey.

I have an open bottle of Old Fitz from DSP-1 and it's very good. Of course, my favorite is still from SW and thankfully, I have a bunker of those bad boys.

Old Fitz from DSP-1 are dusty's that you should grab.

Josh
12-10-2008, 13:45
Gregg,

DSP-1 stands for Distilled Spirits Plant #1 which is Bernheim. Stizel Weller would be DSP-16. Any Old Fitz bottled with DSP-16 is most assuredly, SW whiskey.

I have an open bottle of Old Fitz from DSP-1 and it's very good. Of course, my favorite is still from SW and thankfully, I have a bunker of those bad boys.

DSP-1, isn't that what HH is currently using? So how does one know if it's a true dusty or just a new bottle in a store with a bad housekeeper?

ggilbertva
12-10-2008, 15:40
The second clue would be the bottom of the bottle should have a two digit date signifying the year the bottle was produced. Distillery's do not store bottles but go into the production line when received. Therefore, a bottle with 98 on the bottom would be a fairly accurate bottling year for the bourbon. I'm not sure if HH is still using DSP-1 or DSP-31 for their Old Fitz. I would think DSP-31 since they are required by law to display the DSP for any BIB's.

birdman1099
12-10-2008, 16:45
Current Old Fitz BIB read: DSP-KY-1, bottled at DSP-KY-31

GreggB
12-10-2008, 20:04
Gregg,

Thanks, everyone.

I still need some guidance here. The bottles I have seen on the shelf here in St. Louis say "distilled in Louisville, bottled at DSP-1".

If DSP-1 means Bernheim, I assume that means they were bottled at Bernheim.

Where was the distillation carried out?

Does the date on the bottom of the bottle tell you that? (I haven't had a chance to get back to the store to check that).

I am inferring from this that Old Fitz was made at SW, then at Bernheim, now at HH (in Louisville? at DSP-31? - what distillery is that?). What years at each distillery?

If, as Scott says, the current Old Fitz BIB says "DSP-1, bottled at DSP-31", does that mean distilled by HH at the old Bernheim distillery, and bottled at whatever DSP-31 is?

JamesW
12-11-2008, 13:59
Picked up 4 x WLW '08 and 1 ORVW 10/107

Stickeng
12-11-2008, 18:09
Tomorrow I will be picking up 2 bottles of WLW '08 from my local liquor store! They are holding them for me! I can't wait!

JamesW
12-11-2008, 19:18
Just trying it now. It's fantastic. Think Weller Centennial uncut, unfiltered!