PDA

View Full Version : Anybody heard of Clementine 8 y.o. 101 proof?

edo
10-08-2008, 20:38
I came across this bottle in the back of my favorite liquor store (in Miyazaki, Japan.) There was only one bottle. It was very dusty. 750 ml, I think. It was priced slightly higher than Wild Turkey 101. I think it was produced in Bardstown, KY. It had a rather strange lable with the image of a woman on it, like a turn of the century painting. She must be Clementine. Round bottle, not square.

What is it? Searches here and on google didn't help.

I didn't buy it yet, but it's unlikely anyone else has either.

spun_cookie
10-08-2008, 21:37
I have a bottle.. It is either HH or some other brand with a odd label... I have not tasted yet, but it and the Mark Twain, and two other make up the set of 4.

spun_cookie
10-08-2008, 21:41
Rebecca is the 8 yr, 86 proof bottle and the third is Anabelle I think... I do not know the proof, but I think the yr was 6. The Mark Twain is a 12 year.

Bourbon Japan Guy can probably fill you in on more....

Attila
10-08-2008, 22:27
It retails for 2,279 yen online at Kawachi and looks like this:

Kawachi says its made by Heaven Hill

spun_cookie
10-08-2008, 23:18
Yup, that is what I have. Attilla, did you find the other three?

robbyvirus
10-08-2008, 23:57
I took a picture of the Clementine label on a store shelf when in Japan last year:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4844&d=1193633383

According to the tag on the store shelf it's a Heaven Hill product.

Attila
10-09-2008, 00:04
Yup, that is what I have. Attilla, did you find the other three?

nope. i haven't had time to look.

spun_cookie
10-09-2008, 00:20
Here is the Rebecca, thank you robbyvirus

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4844&d=1193633383

Attila
10-09-2008, 00:42
And here is Mark Twain.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/ntacestore/38105/

Anabelle is not to be found.

spun_cookie
10-09-2008, 00:56
The last one is the Josephine... Attila.. any info?

Attila
10-09-2008, 01:50
The last one is the Josephine... Attila.. any info?

Nothing on josephine either.

doubleblank
10-09-2008, 09:46
Those are almost certainly HH products. HH did a series of Yellow Rose of Texas bottles at various ages and proofs sent to Japan. I'd guess there are countless varieties of HH labels there.

Randy

CorvallisCracker
10-09-2008, 09:53
Those are almost certainly HH products. HH did a series of Yellow Rose of Texas bottles at various ages and proofs sent to Japan. I'd guess there are countless varieties of HH labels there.

Randy

Jim Murray's book lists a HH label called "Chili Gone Crazy". I'm guessing that's one for the Japanese market. Has anyone ever seen it there (or anywhere)?

Attila
10-09-2008, 18:41
Jim Murray's book lists a HH label called "Chili Gone Crazy". I'm guessing that's one for the Japanese market. Has anyone ever seen it there (or anywhere)?

I havent seen it, and I spend far too much time looking for / looking at bourbon.

boone
10-09-2008, 20:23
Randy is correct about the Yellow Rose of Texas. We have many different proofs and age statements for every color label :)

The Clementine is always seen on a run many times throughout the year. Seems that the orders get bigger each run.

The Chilie Gone Crazy (Private Stock) has not been on a run since my time. I asked around with folks that have more time than me and no one recalled that label...many answered never saw it...I went to the label room to look it up in hope that. It would look familiar....
That's the first time I've ever seen it.

Chilie Gone Crazy (Private Stock)...is not in current production...You will have to find a old dusty.

Bettye Jo

Attila
10-11-2008, 22:42
I went to Brown Sugar in Ebisu last Friday and had Clemintine and then Yellow Rose of Texas (i dont know which YROT bottling it was) and confess I was underwhelmed by each of these.

spun_cookie
10-11-2008, 22:59
That is my fear... I have not opened my HH off shores yet because of "meager bourbon" fear....

Not sure where it is from, but the Old Cowboy, though not a bad bourbon, did not grab me as a 20yr bourbon....

The God's Handmade Bourbon lacks in every way :(.. you would figure a God could make some better juice.. .and I know that is a HH product...

Attila
10-11-2008, 23:29
The God's Handmade Bourbon lacks in every way :(.. you would figure a God could make some better juice.. .and I know that is a HH product...

I am still impressed with the name.

spun_cookie
10-11-2008, 23:36
I am still impressed with the name.

Yeah, I hate to say it, but that is why I had to have the bottle.

I might go ahead and fill it with something good... it just seems right.. maybe something with kick like stagg, weller, WTRB...

Attila
10-14-2008, 08:59
I just saw Black Death KSBW tonight available at a bar. Something is wrong with people.

barturtle
10-14-2008, 09:08
I just saw Black Death KSBW tonight available at a bar. Something is wrong with people.

Reminds me of the old Dennis Leary line:

Doesn't matter how big the warnings are. You could have cigarettes that were called the warnings. You could have cigarettes that come in a black pack, with a skull and a cross bone on the front, called tumors and smokers would be lined up around the block going, "I can't wait to get my hands on these fucking things! I bet you get a tumor as soon as you light up! Numm Numm Numm Numm Numm"

Or maybe they're just following the trend in hot sauces...

Attila
02-07-2009, 02:53
Rebecca is the 8 yr

Finally had a pour of this. Very odd. Sweet. Not bad, but didnt taste a thing like bourbon.