PDA

View Full Version : Hello from So. Ill.

JDC20
10-15-2008, 19:30
Great boards! Been lurking for a while and really liked the info and the flow of the site. I've been drinking bourbon for a couple of years now and have really gotten serious in the last 6 months. Luckily with my job I am in KY at least once every a month, so theres plenty of opportunity to go shopping.

Thanks for having me!

Jake

callmeox
10-15-2008, 19:31
Welcome aboard!

What are some of your favorites?

JDC20
10-15-2008, 19:46
Welcome aboard!

What are some of your favorites?

It's hard to say, too many good ones out there. Currently I've been pretty happy with 4 roses single barrel and VW12 lot B. But my taste change like the weather.

ILLfarmboy
10-15-2008, 20:04
Welcome, Jake

I look forward to you posting in the future.

We need more Illinois representation. Glad to have you.

Jono
10-15-2008, 20:29
Out of curiosity, how did you find the site?

I just did a Google search on "bourbon" and SB is the 3rd listed....is this similar to what you did?

Or, were you looking up a particular bourbon and got routed here?

bluesbassdad
10-15-2008, 20:35
It's hard to say, too many good ones out there. Currently I've been pretty happy with 4 roses single barrel and VW12 lot B. But my taste change like the weather.

Welcome, Jake!

IMO you can't go wrong with any bottling that has Van Winkle on the label. I haven't had the opportunity to try any of the Four Roses bottlings.

I have to ask about your user name. IMO anything north of U.S. Hwy 50 doesn't qualify as southern. Carbondale. Marion. Cave-in-Rock. Cairo. They are the real southern Illinois. My home town, Flora, just barely makes the cut. :grin:

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

ACDetroit
10-15-2008, 20:38
Hey Jake welcome, I hope you find all you ever wanted to know about Bourbon here! I know I have and somethings I didn't want to know but it's all good.

Enjoy and I look forward to you contribution!

Tony

JDC20
10-15-2008, 20:44
Out of curiosity, how did you find the site?

I just did a Google search on "bourbon" and SB is the 3rd listed....is this similar to what you did?

Or, were you looking up a particular bourbon and got routed here?

I was looking for a bourbon a few months back (can't remember which one) and stumbled on here. Since then I've been checking the site everyday.

JDC20
10-15-2008, 20:49
I have to ask about your user name. IMO anything north of U.S. Hwy 50 doesn't qualify as southern. Carbondale. Marion. Cave-in-Rock. Cairo. They are the real southern Illinois. My home town, Flora, just barely makes the cut. :grin:

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

By your standards I don't qualify! LOL! I live over north of Alton IL right on the Mississippi. I was making reference to how the Chicagoans divide Illinois, if you live south of Chicago you live in Southern Illinois. :slappin:

fishnbowljoe
10-15-2008, 20:50
Hello Jake. Like Brad said it's nice to have another member from Illinois. Rockford here. So, your job takes you to Kentucky at least once a month huh? Hmmmmmm....... On behalf of the entire Illinois membership, I would really, really, like to welcome you to SB.com. :bs: Next time you're in Kentucky, could you bring back some.....? :rolleyes: Just kidding.:slappin: Nice to have you. You stumbled into a pretty good place here. Good folks, good times, and you'll definitely learn a thing or two about good bourbon.:yum: Once again, glad to have you. Let the fun begin. Joe

PS I see you're from Alton. Used to come down to Fairview Heights once or twice a year when I was coaching high school bowling. The boys state tournament was always at St. Claire Bowl.

Jono
10-16-2008, 12:19
I guess "southern" is a state of mind. I live in northern IL and I occasionally see this moron (IMHO) driving around town in a pick-up with a very large Confederate flag on a wooden pole flapping behind the cab....what is his statement? In fact, I think he has Wisconsin plates...the border is not far from here.

Chicagoans consider anything south of I-80 and west of the Fox River...Rt 31 or 47 downstate....if they are feeling generous they go all the way to Rockford or DeKalb...but that is stretching it.

You pick up a general "country / rural" accent south of those lines...but a more "southern" probably south of Springfield in some areas...certainly Marion to Cairo.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/illinois/141554-illinois-accents.html

http://web.ku.edu/idea/northamerica/usa/illinois/illinois.htm

bluesbassdad
10-16-2008, 12:49
I guess "southern" is a state of mind. I live in northern IL and I occasionally see this moron (IMHO) driving around town in a pick-up with a very large Confederate flag on a wooden pole flapping behind the cab....what is his statement? In fact, I think he has Wisconsin plates...the border is not far from here.

Right or wrong the Confederate battle flag has become a symbol not of southern pride but of racial prejudice. I can't really know what is in that so-called "moron's" heart, but I think I do. I wonder whether that makes me prejudiced.

My hometown of Flora, IL is closer to Paducah, KY than to Chicago, both geographically and culturally. Were it not for General John A. Logan (from my wife's hometown of Murphysboro, IL), many soldiers from southern Illinois would have deserted to fight for the CSA.

It's a little known fact that slavery existed in Illinois, notably in connection with salt works (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crenshaw_House)near Shawneetown.

I grew up thinking that "The Land of Lincoln", as proclaimed on license plates, had always been a bastion of freedom. I was wrong. My first inkling came when I discovered that the town had an ordinance that forbade providing overnight accommodations to a black person.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Jono
10-16-2008, 13:24
A particularly evil place that is....a blighted bit of our state history.

fishnbowljoe
10-16-2008, 23:08
I wonder if that guy travels to Rockford too. Does he drive an older Chevy pickup truck? Seen the same thing here too. My roots are from the south, but, the confederate flag?.... I had one when I was a kid. Mostly just for kicks. A souvenir from Florida back when I was in high school. It bit the dust over 30 years ago. I can't see it any more. It just doesn't stand for what it used to. It was once a southern heritage thing. Now it's a statement of prejudice. At least that's now the overall perception.(Apologies to NASCAR) Oh well.......... Joe

spun_cookie
10-16-2008, 23:46
Welcome Jake. Enjoy your trip through the promise land of bourbon. It is one hell of an adventure...