PDA

View Full Version : 4 Roses expansion

Josh
10-20-2008, 11:24
Any more 4 Roses sightings? Should be in Ohio soon from what I was told back in June. Um, especially reply if you have seen some in Toledo :grin:

ThomasH
10-20-2008, 12:12
Hopefully sooner than later. Ohio needs some new blood in its bourbon section!

Thomas

OscarV
10-20-2008, 15:02
Any more 4 Roses sightings?

Um, especially reply if you have seen some in Toledo :grin:

Yeah good idea Josh, I doubt MI will see it during this current 15 state expansion. Canadian's own a huge market share here that is real tough to break into and that could discourage them, especially if they can move it fast in others states.

callmeox
10-20-2008, 16:11
On my tour just before KBF, I was told "next year". A week later, my friend was told "soon", so it looks like it will be some time between soon and next year. :lol:

bigtoys
10-24-2008, 20:21
Hope you get it soon. It's good stuff. Just got the Binny's select barrels 1 and 3.

MJL
10-24-2008, 20:51
I saw and bought my first example of Four Roses Yellow Label today in Southern Florida. I was able to get a seller to make a special order of the Small Batch and Single Barrel but now I am begining to see the regular stuff trickle in. I like the new Four Roses a lot but I keep hearing the old Four Roses of the 1960s was not great booze. I do not know about that but I do know that Four Roses is very much the ticket for me.

callmeox
10-24-2008, 20:58
Here's my ham and egger version of the Four Roses brand history:

At one point (the 40's?) it was the most popular whiskey brand in the US of A. Seagrams got their dirty mitts on it and changed it from a straight whiskey to a blend since that was their specialty and it faded into oblivion in the US market.

I'm thinking that the 60's version that you speak of was the blend and from what I've read, it earned its poor reputation.

ThomasH
10-25-2008, 06:45
Four Roses Bourbon was turned into an export only brand around 1957. From then until 2002, only Four Roses blended was sold in the US. When Kirin purchased Four Roses in 2002, The blend was discontinued and FR bourbon was again sold in the US, initially in Ky. and Indiana so that employees of FR could at least buy the product they were making. It has since snowballed from those beginnings!

Thomas

smokinjoe
10-25-2008, 11:45
Just returned from my neighborhood liquor store, and to my disbelief, there it was! Regular, Small Batch, and Single Barrel on the shelf. It's hit Georgia.

Actually, though, a bittersweet moment. I travel out of state frequently, and have been able to get as much of these as I want. And, I have taken some personal satisfaction in giving the unknown 4RSB's out as gifts for the last couple of years. Now, anybody can get them...I don't feel so special anymore... :( Boo Hoo. Sniff Sniff :D Nah, this is a great thing. Congrats, Four Roses and Jim Rutledge on getting your great product to another state. The Georgia Bourbon Society has been spreading your good name around for some time, now. I'm sure you'll be a hit here. I am sufficiently stocked, but I bought one of each today anyway, to show my support. :D Just don't anybody go tellin' Mrs. Smokinjoe........Oh crap, I charged it...

MJL
10-25-2008, 12:21
I have a similar experience. I have gone out of my way to hit Kentucky that few summer vacations so I can load up on Four Roses. I reckon we will still be visiting Kentucky but I will be buying my Four Roses down the street.

MJL
10-25-2008, 12:25
Here's my ham and egger version of the Four Roses brand history:

At one point (the 40's?) it was the most popular whiskey brand in the US of A. Seagrams got their dirty mitts on it and changed it from a straight whiskey to a blend since that was their specialty and it faded into oblivion in the US market.

I'm thinking that the 60's version that you speak of was the blend and from what I've read, it earned its poor reputation.

I can't get my Father-in-law to try Four Roses. He grew up in Marshall, Michigan during the 1940s/50s and insists that it was gut rot when he was in his twenties and just can not have gotten better. He is coming over for supper soon so I may try to slip him some! Like I said Four Roses is excellent Bourbon and really sits well on my palate. Good stuff, particularly the Single Barrel.

shoshani
10-25-2008, 21:32
I can't get my Father-in-law to try Four Roses. He grew up in Marshall, Michigan during the 1940s/50s and insists that it was gut rot when he was in his twenties and just can not have gotten better. He is coming over for supper soon so I may try to slip him some! Like I said Four Roses is excellent Bourbon and really sits well on my palate. Good stuff, particularly the Single Barrel.

After the war, Four Roses (like several previously good whiskeys such as Green River and Mount Vernon Rye) became a blended whiskey in the US market. It's entirely possible that your father-in-law never in his life tasted the 90-proof blend of straight whiskeys that was Four Roses from the end of Prohibition until the mid 1940s.

Josh
10-27-2008, 10:22
Four Roses Bourbon was turned into an export only brand around 1957. From then until 2002, only Four Roses blended was sold in the US. When Kirin purchased Four Roses in 2002, The blend was discontinued and FR bourbon was again sold in the US, initially in Ky. and Indiana so that employees of FR could at least buy the product they were making. It has since snowballed from those beginnings!

Thomas

Is it still sold in Ind.? If so, where?

gblick
05-19-2009, 12:55
I just saw some Four Roses (Small Batch & Single Barrell) today at the downtown Spec's store in Houston. The Small Batch is $26.XX, and the Single Barrell is $35.XX (cash prices). The guy told me they got it in last week.

CajunKY
05-19-2009, 15:47
Four Roses just went into Louisiana and Texas a few weeks ago, Glazier is the distributor (at least for Louisiana). Talking with Al and Jim today they plan to be in 35 states by September.

DeanSheen
05-19-2009, 17:10
It just so happens I inquired last week about where 4R is in the states with the reply below.

Ohio would be nice.......

~DS

Currently in Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida,
Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts,
Minnesota, Missouri, New York, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina,
Texas, Wisconsin, and North Carolina.

doubleblank
05-19-2009, 18:21
Imagine that....Glazier is the distributor for Texas. Oh, that's right, Republic is controlled by the sister of the owner of Sazerac....owner of BT.

Randy

cowdery
05-19-2009, 18:58
As I understand it, Glazier and Republic are it as far as Texas is concerned, the only significant distributors.

independant
05-19-2009, 19:58
It just so happens I inquired last week about where 4R is in the states with the reply below.

Ohio would be nice.......

~DS

Currently in Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida,
Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts,
Minnesota, Missouri, New York, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina,
Texas, Wisconsin, and North Carolina.

Virginia also just started carrying the small batch this last month. It is listed at 34.99. A little high for me. I fear at that price it will not fly off the shelves and we will not get the yellow label or the single barrel. :(

doubleblank
05-19-2009, 20:28
Yep Chuck, Glazier and Republic are the only significant distributors of liquor in Texas. The sarcasm was directed at Republic.....they essentially own BT.....there was no way they would get the distribution rights to FR. Thankfully we have many smaller distributors of wine......they add a lot to our wine "diversity" here.

Randy

CajunKY
05-19-2009, 20:31
The 2009 Limited Edition Four Roses bottles will be out in a couple of weeks. So if your state is carrying Four Roses you may want to have your local store see if they can get any in for you. Its gonna be nice.

wadewood
05-20-2009, 06:59
As I understand it, Glazier and Republic are it as far as Texas is concerned, the only significant distributors.

Glazer's is now partnered (? acquired, ? joint marketing) with Southern Wine & Spirits.

cowdery
05-20-2009, 14:43
Yep Chuck, Glazier and Republic are the only significant distributors of liquor in Texas. The sarcasm was directed at Republic.....they essentially own BT.....there was no way they would get the distribution rights to FR. Thankfully we have many smaller distributors of wine......they add a lot to our wine "diversity" here.

Randy

But Randy, that's impossible (wink wink) since cross-ownership is illegal in the three-tier system.

The Johnson and Phillips families (all related to each other) have the same deal going in Minnesota, one side of the family owns the producer, the other side owns the distributor, and never the twain shall meet? Right.

GregSVT
05-21-2009, 10:43
Looks like 4 Roses is now available at my local store! I've been waiting for this for years. Small Batch is $29 and Single Barrel is $39.

I told a Republic rep that they needed to get 4R into Texas last year at a cigar event.

cowdery
05-21-2009, 14:12
Texas was, I'm sure, a high priority because it's a good state for bourbon in general but it's so big they really needed to make sure they had enough supply to support it. I don't know how many big states are still unserved. Are they in California? If they're expecting to be up to 35 by September, and if all of the big states are covered, then they should be able to get to 50 pretty quickly next year.

sku
05-21-2009, 14:15
Are they in California?

Yep, we've got 'em.

CajunKY
05-21-2009, 14:36
Texas was, I'm sure, a high priority because it's a good state for bourbon in general but it's so big they really needed to make sure they had enough supply to support it. I don't know how many big states are still unserved. Are they in California? If they're expecting to be up to 35 by September, and if all of the big states are covered, then they should be able to get to 50 pretty quickly next year.

If I am quoting Jim Rutledge correctly, supply isn't a problem. The marketing team is made up of four people and they just can't go as fast as they would like.

cowdery
05-21-2009, 15:14
That's essentially what I'm saying, assuming that all of the big states are rolled out. What's left isn't significant from a volume standpoint, but there is a whole process they have to go through with getting a distributor and getting their products listed in each state. Since I'm sure they rolled-out in some kind of order of priority, the remaining states probably are not viewed as having significant volume potential.

I would have to look at a list, but it's possible some of the remaining states, such as Ohio, are control states where the hoops you have to jump through are plentiful.

Depending on how the question was asked the answer could be regarded as disingenuous, since product availability is why they decided to do a phased roll-out in the first place. If volume is no longer an issue it has only just gotten there.

craigthom
05-21-2009, 17:26
I haven't heard that volume isn't an issue, but I have heard that the rollout into planned states hasn't gone as quickly as originally planned due to all the red tape.

Old Bill
05-22-2009, 04:50
It's now in Minnesota....albeit far more expensive than the price I paid in Kentucky about a month ago when I was driving through the L-ville area. I picked up a few bottles and a week after returning to Minnesota, my buddy informed me the local liquor store was now stocking it.

ShewDawg
05-22-2009, 06:24
Four Roses has been in NJ for a couple of years (At least since 2007)

Josh
05-22-2009, 08:02
Still not in Michigan, although when he was signing my bottle J.R. said it would be by the end of this year. I asked the same question to the folks at the 4R booth at the Sampler:

Josh: So when will we see 4R in Michigan?
Guy 1: Michigan? Let me check... (turns to guy 2) Michigan?
Guy 2: (to guy 1) It's a control state.
Guy 1: (to me) It's a control state.
Josh: Is that the answer?
Guy 1: (mumbling)...keeping up...supply...at capacity...ask Jim. (turns to next person in line)

DeanSheen
07-06-2009, 10:40
Callmeox just alerted me and I confirmed with my local, 4 Roses is on the shelves in OHIO 4/6/09.

Happy Day!

OscarV
07-06-2009, 11:55
Callmeox just alerted me and I confirmed with my local, 4 Roses is on the shelves in OHIO 4/6/09.

Happy Day!

Any 4R1B 2009 Barrel Strength?

DeanSheen
07-06-2009, 12:08
^ Heck no. I asked the state about that & the Yellow and was told "maybe next year".

I guess we have to get things in the pipeline first before they start handing out the goodies.

funknik
09-08-2009, 06:29
Four Roses is in Maine!!!

It was on the shelf at my local liquor store this Thursday while I was picking up provisions for camping. I'm not sure how long, but it couldn't be more than a couple of weeks or I'd a knowed it. In $10 price points . . . Yellow $18.98, Small Batch $28.98 & Single Barrel $38.98. I picked up a Single Barrel (delicious) and a Yellow Label for the camping trip (which I finished by the way!). I love the yellow label, she's a good gal -- she's probably a bit too young for me, but for an 80 proofer it is pretty complex and very delicious -- easy sipping. I was surprised.

I really like the Single Barrel, too and it's just nice for me to have this stuff offered because there is so little variety up here. Something that has always been missing from the cabinet.

I doubt we'll get the special bottlings, because Maine offers NOTHING in the way of special/seasonal bottlings, but I'll take what I can get and like it!

I hope this means it will soon be in NH where it'll probably be nice and cheap.

Luna56
09-08-2009, 10:52
Andy, I'm jealous! NH was supposed to begin carrying FR last year but somehow it fell through. There was even an announcement on the FR website. Alas.

Glad you've got it and the price is pretty reasonable. I'm keeping my fingers crossed here in NH.

Cheers!

ErichPryde
09-11-2009, 05:30
4 roses is not available in Wichita as far as I am aware, although it is something that some places in OK seem to have. However, if it is distributed by Glazier here in KS, I will pester some of the liquor stores here to see if it is something Glazier can get them, as I know Glazier (and perhaps standard? although it may be republic, my knowledge is significantly lacking here) distributes in wichita. I've always wanted to try the small batch (among other things) and would love for it to be available locally.

Josh
01-06-2010, 08:35
Hell has officially frozen over...Seen on the MI supplemental price list this morning (thanks for the tip Amy!):

FOUR ROSES BOURBON $18.97
FOUR ROSES SINGLE BARREL $39.95
FOUR ROSES SMALL BATCH $29.99

:woohoo: :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::w oohoo:

funknik
01-06-2010, 08:42
Andy, I'm jealous! NH was supposed to begin carrying FR last year but somehow it fell through. There was even an announcement on the FR website. Alas.

Glad you've got it and the price is pretty reasonable. I'm keeping my fingers crossed here in NH.

Cheers!
If you check the NH Liquor Store website, I think you will see that you are well stocked with Four Roses Single Barrel now. It's the same price ($40) as it is here in Maine, though, unfortunately, which I think is a tad high for this bourbon.

SMOWK
01-06-2010, 09:35
I found 4R for the first time in Maryland just a few weeks ago. The owner said they're coming back to the area after "bastardizing their name and only selling in japan" . Whatever the hell that means. Either way, I've got 2 bottles of 4RSB, one of which is open. As long as I can keep my dad away from it, it should be around a while.

callmeox
01-06-2010, 10:33
What he meant is that 4R did not sell straight whiskey in the US for a long time and the only product available here was a crappy blended whiskey. Their straight whiskey labels were available in Japan, not the US.

This changed in the early 2000's when they began domestic distribution and the growth of their footprint is the reason behind this thread.

fogfrog
01-08-2010, 12:08
they have a barrel strength 4 roses here in TN now... wonder if that would be a good one?

Josh
01-08-2010, 12:19
they have a barrel strength 4 roses here in TN now... wonder if that would be a good one?

YES!!!!! Buy 2 cases and send one case to me! That the 2009 special one or a private bottling?

OscarV
01-08-2010, 12:23

I see you are in Knoxville, you spotting these 4R BS at McScrooges?
And if so I have the same question as Josh, is it the 2009 BS LE or the store's private bottling of BS?

fogfrog
01-08-2010, 12:25
I don't know exactly as I looked at it and bought something else but maybe I should go there and get me a bottle and will post it.... I don't know how much they have... it was not at the best liquor store here which is Mcscrooges but it was at a diff local one and I can check it out. I do want something a bit top shelfish and hope my wife doesn't think I am selfish for buying it lolz. geez maybe I should call one of my local ones that is actually on the way home... will check it out! its way cold down here in the teens which is weird for tn.

fogfrog
01-08-2010, 12:26
I see you are in Knoxville, you spotting these 4R BS at McScrooges?
And if so I have the same question as Josh, is it the 2009 BS LE or the store's private bottling of BS?

I saw this one at Dixie Lee... I can stop there on the way home. If they have any left etc.

Josh
01-08-2010, 12:46
I saw this one at Dixie Lee... I can stop there on the way home. If they have any left etc.

The 2009 is pricey but great and worth every penny. The private bottlings are very good, but the annual releases are a little older and just fantastic peerless whiskeys, well almost peerless anyway, aside from the 2009 Mariage. :grin:

I'm still working on a bottle of the 2009 and I'll be getting another one when this is done. Don't miss out! Your wife will forgive you, but you will never forgive yourself for missing out!

jburlowski
01-08-2010, 13:29
The 2009 is pricey but great and worth every penny. The private bottlings are very good, but the annual releases are a little older and just fantastic peerless whiskeys, well almost peerless anyway, aside from the 2009 Mariage. :grin:

I'm still working on a bottle of the 2009 and I'll be getting another one when this is done. Don't miss out! Your wife will forgive you, but you will never forgive yourself for missing out!

Josh, you're right. The private bottlings are usually limted in age. The LEs and the Mariages have more maturity / complexity that (IMO) more than make up for the price differential.

OscarV
01-08-2010, 13:31
Josh, you're right. The private bottlings are usually limted in age. The LEs and the Mariages have more maturity / complexity that (IMO) more than make up for the price differential.

Ditto

fogfrog
01-08-2010, 14:37
This one is the 120 Anniversary Limited edition and is 56.4%, JW warehouse 7-1R barrel and it cost before tax 76 dollars. I didn't tell my wife what it costs and she is drinking it yikes! I think I will tell her to try the Ezra Brooks lolz... (they both have a cork). This stuff is very soft for such a high proof ... unbelievable! Oh, there were six bottles on the shelf and they said they had eight left so I guess they have a couple in the back. So I guess this is not the 2009 then? hmmm maybe I need to read the bottle more.

OscarV
01-08-2010, 14:40
This one is the 120 Anniversary Limited edition and is 56.4%, JW warehouse 7-1R barrel and it cost before tax 76 dollars. I didn't tell my wife what it costs and she is drinking it yikes! I think I will tell her to try the Ezra Brooks lolz... (they both have a cork). This stuff is very soft for such a high proof ... unbelievable!

Looks like we got another convert, welcome to the Dark Side fogfrog.

fogfrog
01-08-2010, 14:50
yeah ... welcome to the darkside-we have cookies lolz. um, whats the diff between the 120 year anniversary one and the 2009 Limited edition one?

hectic1
01-08-2010, 15:21
My question is other then 2 years of aging how is the OBSK of the 120th different from the OBSK that Binny's got? They're asking $79.99 for the 120th and $54.99 for the Binny's Private Barrel OBSK...is the 120th worth an additional $25 over the Binny's bottle?

jburlowski
01-09-2010, 06:01
This one is the 120 Anniversary Limited edition and is 56.4%, JW warehouse 7-1R barrel and it cost before tax 76 dollars. I didn't tell my wife what it costs and she is drinking it yikes! I think I will tell her to try the Ezra Brooks lolz... (they both have a cork). This stuff is very soft for such a high proof ... unbelievable! Oh, there were six bottles on the shelf and they said they had eight left so I guess they have a couple in the back. So I guess this is not the 2009 then? hmmm maybe I need to read the bottle more.

The 120th Anniversary edition was released in 2008.

OscarV
01-09-2010, 06:36
whats the diff between the 120 year anniversary one and the 2009 Limited edition one?

OBSK recipe, 12yo, and 109 prf for the 120th
OESQ recipe, 11yo and 113prf for the '09 BS LE

My question is other then 2 years of aging how is the OBSK of the 120th different from the OBSK that Binny's got? They're asking $79.99 for the 120th and $54.99 for the Binny's Private Barrel OBSK...is the 120th worth an additional $25 over the Binny's bottle?

Two reasons, first age and proof differences make the bourbon cost different.
And secondly the taste of the two as determined by the Master Distiller.
I'm sure he holds back the "primo" for his special releases.

fogfrog
01-09-2010, 09:32
K well I think it cost plenty... yeah there are special barrels it says so they know which ones they want... but am also thinking that with my palate, I don't know if I need THAT much premium... feeling a wee bit guilty today for buying it. I do think however that the single barrel at mcscrooges... I think its way cheaper like thirty bucks cheaper.. I want to get some and compare lolz. They also had a rack of that Jefferson's for 91 dollars a bottle geez.... that is steep.

fogfrog
01-09-2010, 14:44
I really likes the four roses glasses in the single barrel kit... got me one today... with two glasses... they have roses on the bottom too! My single barrel was the Mcscrooges one cuz I know the owner picked it and he switched my bottle into the kit... lol