PDA

View Full Version : Edgefield Hogshead Oregon Whiskey

Cornman
10-30-2008, 22:33
Some of this '100% Barley pot-still distilled' whiskey showed up at the local Seattle store. Not much has been said about this here. This has apparently been out elsewhere for a while. Is there any chance that this is actually aged a bit longer than the bottles sold 3 years ago?

It seems unlikely to warrant the $40 pricetag, but I am curious anyway. Comments?

Many thanks!

jinenjo
11-03-2008, 17:31
I've had a bottle once. It's o.k. I liked it, but it wasn't something I went to regularly.

$40 is high, but not really for a micro-distilled product. As for your question, I can't say.

Do you like Scotch whisky? If so, you may find it enjoyable. Although it is not much like Scotch in that I think it may be aged in charred barrels (not sure on this). It is young, but amber in color. The charred barrel does give it a bourbon quality, but not much.

I'd say see if you can try it first at some specialty bar.

Rughi
11-05-2008, 08:46
Some of this '100% Barley pot-still distilled' whiskey showed up at the local Seattle store. Not much has been said about this here. This has apparently been out elsewhere for a while. Is there any chance that this is actually aged a bit longer than the bottles sold 3 years ago?

It seems unlikely to warrant the $40 pricetag, but I am curious anyway. Comments?

Many thanks!

I visited the hotel/restaurants/movie theater/pubs/vineyard/winery/distillery/brewery that is Edgefield (http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc=3) last spring and was bowled over by just how cool this resort is. It's like a country club for people like me.

Instead of spending $40 on a bottle, I'd spend $75 on a hotel room and spend a weekend there. Hanging out in the distillery house pub (it's a converted barn from the days that Edgefield was Portland's work farm for the destitute) and sampling their wares is the perfect environment to maximize enjoyment of this decent, but not great, whiskey.

Roger