PDA

View Full Version : Jim Beam Distillers Series 7 Years Old

ThomasW
11-01-2008, 08:24
Just got home from one of the state controlled liquor stores here in Norway, and they got three new bourbons available.:grin: :grin: :grin:
Buffalo Trace (yes finally, can't wait to try it), Blanton's Single Barrel Green label (80 proof version) and Jim Beam Distillers Series 7 years old.
I have never heard of this version of JB, has anyone tasted it ?
It's more expensive than JB Black (a bourbon I drink often) and it's 90 proof.

ThomasW
11-03-2008, 11:19
Sorry didn't know there already was a thread about this.:blush:

Potbanger
11-06-2008, 20:13
I still don't believe that nobody is talking about this release from Jim Beam. It's cheaper than Jim Beam Black over here ($20 compared to ~$24) and is in a whole other league. I'm about to open my second bottle and have a third one waiting! I'm interested to know what you think.

ThomasW
11-14-2008, 13:16
I totally agree Brad, it's better than JB black.
This is a must try to everyone who likes JB black, a bourbon I have as my daily pour.

ILLfarmboy
11-14-2008, 15:28
I saw this when I was last down in Peoria at Friar Tuck's. Perhaps when I'm down there again I'll pick up a bottle.

Gillman
11-14-2008, 16:05
Would this not be similar to the white label 7 year old Beam available regionally, if not, how so (apart from proof)?

Gary

birdman1099
11-14-2008, 16:31
Would this not be similar to the white label 7 year old Beam available regionally, if not, how so (apart from proof)?

Gary

From John Hansells Blog......

"The dark amber liquid inside each bottle is a new recipe, specially-crafted and aged seven years to 90 proof, and the result is a warm, lingering, mellow finish perfect for easy sipping."

Gillman
11-14-2008, 17:13
A new recipe - I am not sure about special craft - suggests a mashbill different from what is used for the Beam-branded bourbons to date.

Gary

kpendle
11-14-2008, 17:50
I have this and tried it recently. Based off memory my memory of the Black Label 8yo 86 proof bottle it was very similar. Unfortunately I do not currently have a black label to compare with.

It is a 7yo 90 proof. I paid $19.99. I do not regret the purchase but would not buy it again. I will share it with my buddies in the East Bay Study Group sometime in the future that way we can all try it without everyone having to buy it.

Ken

ThomasW
11-15-2008, 02:24
Jacob Beam chopper!?
http://www.hotbikeweb.com/features/0707_hbkp_2006_jim_beam_chopper/index.html

Rughi
11-15-2008, 12:50
I have this and tried it recently. Based off memory my memory of the Black Label 8yo 86 proof bottle it was very similar. Unfortunately I do not currently have a black label to compare with.

It is a 7yo 90 proof. I paid $19.99. I do not regret the purchase but would not buy it again. I will share it with my buddies in the East Bay Study Group sometime in the future that way we can all try it without everyone having to buy it.

Ken

Ohh, Ken
We've got to bust open that '70s Beam White Lear brought and the '70s Beam's Black from Doug to compare with this one. Come to think of it, we might as well invite a couple of '60s and '70s decanters to the party while we're at it. Let's see what makes this one worthy of being called the "Distillers Series."

Only problem is - how are we going to convince anyone to buy a current Beam Black? ;)

Roger

ThomasW
11-15-2008, 12:56
What are the proof of the Beam White and the Beam Black from the '70s?
Sounds like an interesting tasting event!

Rughi
11-15-2008, 13:16
What are the proof of the Beam White and the Beam Black from the '70s?

Actually, the Beam White appears to be '83.
This was from the era when Beam counted in months, not years.

'83 White Label - 80 proof, 52 months
'77 Beam's Black Label - 90 proof, 101 months
'70 Beam 155 - 86 proof, 155 months
'63 Beam 175 - 86 proof, 175 months

If this Beam's Black is as good as the sister bottle I tasted, it is a gem against which all other Jim Beam products should aspire.

Roger

cowdery
11-17-2008, 20:58
I have some questions in to Beam about the "new recipe" claim and I'll let you know what I learn.

A white label 7-year-old at 80 proof is now a standard part of the Jim Beam line. The limited edition is 7-years-old and 90 proof. Standard black label is 8-years-old and 86 proof.

Remember, this is the company that also claims it hasn't changed a thing since 1795.

Lost Pollito
11-18-2008, 08:37
Agreed . Looking forward to what you learn about the "new" recipe.

Rughi
11-18-2008, 09:22
(Set mind to image of four scruffy ex-mods peeing on what looks suspiciously like a concrete version of the Obelisk in the movie "2001" - synthesizer and drums pound in background)

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss!

Meet the new mash
Same as the old mash

(Rock On...)

cowdery
11-21-2008, 09:11
I have confirmed from official sources that the only difference between this product and the standard 7-year-old product is the bottling proof.

Personally, I would not call that a "new recipe," but I can accept that it is within the broadest definition of the term "recipe."

Gillman
11-21-2008, 09:48
Personally, I would not call that a "new recipe," but I can accept that it is within the broadest definition of the term "recipe."[/QUOTE]

I agree. It's marketing language and that's okay.

Gary

smokinjoe
11-21-2008, 10:34
I picked up a bottle of this a couple of days ago, and put it to a pretty healthy test last night. The extra 10 proof does wonders for this whiskey over the standard 7 yr. I really enjoyed it. Lots of Hershey's cocoa powder at mid palate. I have been a fan of Beam Black for some time, but if I had to choose, I believe I'd favor this 90 proof 7 yr. over it.

camduncan
11-21-2008, 12:05
I have confirmed from official sources that the only difference between this product and the standard 7-year-old product is the bottling proof.

That's interesting Chuck. The bottles we are getting Downunder are the same proof as our standard JB White (74 proof)
I'd have to assume they're sending it here in stainless steel vats and bottling it at North Ryde like they do the White Label.

cowdery
11-21-2008, 19:09
That's interesting Chuck. The bottles we are getting Downunder are the same proof as our standard JB White (74 proof)
I'd have to assume they're sending it here in stainless steel vats and bottling it at North Ryde like they do the White Label.

Almost certainly that is the case. My information strictly applies to the U.S. release.

jburlowski
11-22-2008, 10:38
Had a chance to try some at a friend's last night. Very similar to the regular 7yo release. In a word: unimpressive.

reg
01-02-2009, 09:51
It's flying off the self in Alabama. Vestavia was down to 2 bottles. I'm on my fourth since Thanksgiving. This is going to a bunker project.

smokinjoe
01-02-2009, 09:58
I'm on my second, and am really diggin' it.

cowdery
01-02-2009, 12:38
How is it priced compared to Beam Black, which is usually my Beam go-to, that or Knob Creek?

fishnbowljoe
01-02-2009, 14:07
It's $22.99 a bottle here in Rockford Chuck. Joe

smokinjoe
01-02-2009, 14:48
At my local store:

Regular 7 yr. white $17.99

Black Label $20.99

Distillers Series $21.98

Knob Creek $28.99

reg
01-02-2009, 14:52
$22.99 here in Alabama, the Black is $21.99. Up till a month ago you could get mini's for .99 each in Black and White label. I would get 20 so it equals a liter for about $20. With no open bottle worries when traveling.

cowdery
01-03-2009, 11:12
Obviously, people want to try things, but with the black label priced slightly less than the Distiller's Series, I'd probably stick to the black label. I have enough pictures of Fred already.

smokinjoe
01-03-2009, 12:52
I don't know, Chuck. My Beam Black bottle has a picture of Fred on it, too!! :eek:
Just did a side by side. The Distillers Series has a very floral nose, as compared to the Black. My wife even said it smelled like a cologne. I asked her if it "did anything for her"? ;) "Ya know, I could wear it, hon, if you like it." All I got was the "look". Like, "you As$%&@"
The Black is definitely bolder, despite being slightly lower proof. Probably a result of the extra year. Both finishes are just OK.
All in all, I prefer the DS by a nose. An extra dollar for a new cologne seems like a deal sealer to me. Just about to run out of my Hai Karate!, anyway. :)

Josh
01-06-2009, 06:53
Obviously, people want to try things, but with the black label priced slightly less than the Distiller's Series, I'd probably stick to the black label. I have enough pictures of Fred already.

Here the NAS White Label and the Distiller's Series are the same price. Black is $2-3 more I believe.

barturtle
01-06-2009, 07:26

I happened to notice the other day that the Distiller's Series was ~$0.75 more than the 7yo White and about the same amount less than Black, at one store in Louisville, anyway.

Buffalo Bill
01-07-2009, 13:25
I've been wondering about this particular bottling and found ONE bottle in Massachusetts a few months ago, but didn't buy it. If it's still there next week, I'm going to purchase it. With the new screw-off cap. BB

cowdery
01-08-2009, 16:30
I'm not sure it's even been out for "a few months," so what you saw may not be the same thing.

Josh
01-09-2009, 08:00
I've been wondering about this particular bottling and found ONE bottle in Massachusetts a few months ago, but didn't buy it. If it's still there next week, I'm going to purchase it. With the new screw-off cap. BB

I guess it depends on what counts as "a few". I saw them all over the place around here when they first came out, but they seem to be getting scarecer and scarcer. I'll probably pick another one up next time I see it.

As for the taste, I think I prefer it to the Black at the current moment. It is very floral and the contrast is especially sharp after I've had a little Old Fitz or Dickel BS. We don't get the White 7 y/o up here. Maybe I'd feel differently if we did, but I really dig the DS

Josh
01-21-2009, 10:37
Here the NAS White Label and the Distiller's Series are the same price. Black is $2-3 more I believe.

I must have been standing on my head the last time I was in the liquor aisle. Last time I was there White was $16.98, DS was $19.98. So maybe $3-$4 less than Black at the same place.

Buffalo Bill
01-22-2009, 08:08

I did find that ;lonely bottle of Distillers Series 7 Year on Cape Cod, it's the only bottle I've seen in MA. Picked it up a couple weeks ago and I really like it, more than black or white. My tasting notes included "Basil Hayden Meets Booker's" because it has the fire and kick of Booker's at 90 Proof. I paid through the nose for it ($27.99) but it was worth putting on the shelf.

I like it, and if I could find it for $22 I'd buy a bunch. Not to be found anywhere in New England.

BB

Tarheel72
01-24-2009, 13:06
I picked up a bottle last week here in Texas for $17.98 and I have to say I didn't care for it that much. I found it harsh and didn't care for the after taste. It is still available at my local store for that price, I saw it there today. I think it is the same price as Black Label if I am not mistaken.

Buffalo Bill
01-27-2009, 12:36
I picked up a bottle last week here in Texas for $17.98 and I have to say I didn't care for it that much. I found it harsh and didn't care for the after taste. It is still available at my local store for that price, I saw it there today. I think it is the same price as Black Label if I am not mistaken.

It's definitely fiery and old fashion. At that price I'd buy some... wow. $10 under what I paid. BB

bonneamie
01-28-2009, 10:03
It's my new favorite and readily available in Michigan for a few cents less than $20.00. Lucky me!!

Martian
02-01-2009, 10:47
I just picked up a bottle of the DS and did a side by side comparison with the Black. I'm not good at detailed tasting, so I won't even make the attempt. But I will make a general comparison. In the glass the golden color and long legs are the same. The DS might be a fine hair lighter in color. The DS has more fire and is crisper and sharper. The Black is more complex. I like both the DS and Black. I can't say I like one over the other, but I will definitely buy the DS again. I hope Beam keeps the DS as a regular bottling. Here in Dallas the price of the DS is $17.99 and $17.59 for the Black.

bonneamie
02-01-2009, 13:31
I guess it's everyone's favorite in my house--can't keep a bottle for very long.

fishnbowljoe
02-01-2009, 13:40
I have been tempted to buy a bottle. The price around here is holding me back a little. The closest place to me has it on sale for $24.99. Regular price was $27.99. Don't know if it's worth that much. Joe

Buffalo Bill
02-02-2009, 08:17
What states are Beam marketing this product to ??? I've only found one bottle in Massachusettts and none in New Hampshire. BB

smokinjoe
02-14-2009, 06:27
I continue to enjoy this bottle very much. It's a solid whiskey.

I am really getting to like these new metal closures on Beam products. I've always preferred cork over the plastic screw caps, but these metal ones have a certain rich feel to them. And, I like the sound that they make. The sound of the metal against the glass when opening or sealing is almost as pleasing as the "thwomp" of a cork being removed.

I need to get out more. :o

Buffalo Bill
03-02-2009, 08:44
The new screw-off caps seam to make a good seal as long as you don't over-tighten them, stripping threads. But I'll still take a cork, any day. There's something about the history of a cork, feels authentic. BB

bonneamie
03-02-2009, 09:38
The sound of a cork coming out of a bottle is one of my favorite sounds! Right up there, too, is the sound of ice tinkling in a glass. I also like bird songs (just for contrast!).

Josh
03-02-2009, 09:43
I think I started to hear birds after my second glass of WTRR 101 last night. That turkey is a sneaky bastard.

cowdery
03-02-2009, 17:32
This might be a good place to mention how much I like the new metal capsules Beam is using on Jim Beam and other products. Much nicer than the plastic.

asnigro
03-03-2009, 20:09
I enjoyed the Distillers Series very much. I personally dont care for Beam Black that much but love the White.

I really thought the DS was very similar to Geroge Dickel Barel Select. And at $19.99 here versus the Dickel's $35 price tag, I'm going to the store to buy a couple more bottles tomorrow.

Martian
03-13-2009, 14:48
Does anyone know if the Distillers Series is just the 90 proof version of the JB White 7 yr. 80 proofer?

Martian
03-13-2009, 15:36
I think I found my answer from Chuck on a previous thread. The answer is yes.

CygnusX-1
03-29-2009, 13:50
I got it here in Va for $20, $2 less than JB Black. Thought it was ok but hade to much of the standard JB taste that i dont care for

squire
03-29-2009, 15:28
Not sure about this one, I liked the 90 proof black when it was 8 years so at some point this might get a try.

JBeamGold
04-03-2009, 19:14
I have had the Australian version which is enjoyable. We are still only up to 2 three should have been out Jan but still waiting to clear the others off our shelves..

I have a 7 Yr 90 proof US bottle which I won't be opening as it is signed by Fred..
Will pick up another when back in the states..

Waiahi
05-13-2009, 21:46
22.95 here in Hawaii...2.00 more than 8 Y.O. black. I like it...alot. Will probably buy another bottle since it doesn't look like the only store I found it at has much more left.