PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Muscle Shoals, AL

ROTYDE
11-11-2008, 13:08
New here just wanted to pop in and say hey. Hope to meet you all.

OscarV
11-11-2008, 13:53
I took a "tour" of the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio in 1972.
While visitng relatives in Cullman County I drove over to M.S. and went to the studio.
I walked in and asked if I could look around, the Lady at the front desk said sure go ahead.
I couldn't belive it. I was in awe.
I looked around and thought about all the great music that was recorded there.
From Aretha Franklin to Leon Russell.
And the great studio band The Muscle Shoal Swampers.

ROTYDE
11-11-2008, 13:57
That is great, the old Sound building on Jackson high way is still there believe it or not. A very close friend of mine owns it now and has turned it into a working museum. I have lots of pictures of it if you would like to see them.Most all of the studio are still around in some form. The one down on the river is now a movie studio.Small world after all.

OscarV
11-11-2008, 13:59
Yeah, I'd love to see those pics.
You can post them here or I'll send you my e-mail address in a PM.
Thanks!!

ratcheer
11-11-2008, 14:38
Hello, Rotyde. I am about 20 minutes south of Birmingham. I have visited Muscle Shoals a couple of times, too. I remember the abundant muscle shells in the river and the huge Reynolds aluminum plant, which I assume has been out of operation for many years. I never saw the music part of things, but I certainly listened to the Muscle Shoals sound for many happy years.

Tim

fishnbowljoe
11-11-2008, 14:46
Welcome Geno, Looking forward to your posts. Please go ahead and post those pics of the music studio. A lot of great music came out of there in the years gone by. Again, welcome to the site. Hope you have fun on your bourbon journey. Joe

smokinjoe
11-11-2008, 17:23
Welcome, ROTYDE! This is one of the reasons I love this site. New guy signs on, discussion starts about music in Muscle Shoals, I'm clueless as to WTF they're talkin' about, then I go and find out. And then, I go "Who knew?" I'm going to have to swing by there on one of my next trips to Alabama, and check this out!

Again RO, welcome to the club. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here.

ROTYDE
11-11-2008, 20:18
This is the closet where the song "Brown Sugar" was written. It was penned on the wall, most of it is still there.

Noel bought all the original equipment down to the chairs and vinyl .
http://i38.tinypic.com/wjgozn.jpg

ROTYDE
11-11-2008, 20:29
All the equipment is put in the same place it was back in the late 50's early 60's and through the 70's
http://i36.tinypic.com/fdhte9.jpg

ROTYDE
11-11-2008, 20:32
Us playing around on the mixing board. It is an actual working recording studio and he allows a select group of musicians to record there.
http://i33.tinypic.com/1pfrsz.jpg

J.W.
11-20-2008, 08:13
Hay Neighbor,
I live between Fulton & Tupelo Ms.

RM High
11-23-2008, 20:04
New here just wanted to pop in and say hey. Hope to meet you all.

Greetings, glad to have you here.

So, what exactly are Swampers?

snakster
11-28-2008, 05:33
Let Lynyrd Skynyrd explain:

"Now Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers
And they've been known to pick a song or two
Lord they get me off so much
They pick me up when I'm feeling blue
Now how about you? "