PDA

View Full Version : What was the first Bourbon you tasted and how old were you?

ROTYDE
11-11-2008, 20:44
At what age did you try your first bourbon and what was it?

My self it was 16yrs old and it was Wild Turkey.

ggilbertva
11-11-2008, 21:00
18 years old and it was either WT 8 yr 101 or 12 yr 101.

fishnbowljoe
11-11-2008, 21:02
I was 16 or 17, and the bourbon was Yellowstone. Didn't know it was bourbon at the time. Our older buddy drank it, and would get it for us. It was "hard stuff", and that's all we cared about. This was way back in 1972-1973. Had some Rebel Yell around the same time too. Have a bottle of each in my bunker now just for old times sake. Joe

GOCOUGS2002
11-11-2008, 21:35
I was 18 and a buddy of mine and I were going through his Dad's liquor cabinet; ended up selecting Wild Turkey 101...I think we drank it using his Mom's coffee cups with cat pictures on them. We didn't cover our tracks very well as he left both cups in the sink with a small squeeze of dawn to cover up the smell...she wasn't too happy when she went to use her beloved cup the next morning:rolleyes:

T47
11-11-2008, 21:51
Lets see it was May of 2005, that means I was 43. The pour was Makers Mark and it began a slippery slope that boggles my (er...my wife's) mind.

:toast:

ILLfarmboy
11-11-2008, 22:00
WT 101 8 year or the transitional "old No. 8" I don't remember.

I was A Junior in High School (1987) So I had just turned 17.

Luna56
11-11-2008, 22:52
Jim Beam White, back in the early/mid 70's. I was probably 17 or so. Beam always gave me heartburn.
Later I tried OGD114 but never developed an appreciation for whiskey beyond the fact that it gave one a powerful buzz. Never really pursued any interest in whiskey since then, and for a long time never drank anything but beer, a little wine, and occasionally cognac.

A few years ago I tried Hancock President's Reserve while in Lexington and realized I'd been missing something really special. Thus began my interest in bourbon and SMS. And it led me here, to be among you fine folks, where I've learned a great deal.

You... complete me.... (snif snif) :lol:

Cheers!

kickert
11-12-2008, 05:28
It was Jim Beam ginger ale when I was 16 in Germany. How ironic I had to leave the country to first try Kentucky bourbon. After that I had some Jim Beam mixed with Mountain Dew as a teenager. I did not revisit whiskey until I was 21 and had some Early Times, but always mixed that. It was 1792 when I was 25 that started the addiction.

p_elliott
11-12-2008, 06:03
Would that be the first time I drank bourbon or the first time I tasted bourbon? There's a big difference if you get my drift. I drank bourbon for the first time as a teenager I really tasted it for the first time a couple months ago.

ACDetroit
11-12-2008, 06:15
Paul, you are correct...although the first time I tasted bourbon would have been as a teething child when my mom rubbed my gums with Early Times, early 70's (good stuff).

Then in High School must have been mid to late 80's and it was Jim Beam White, I would have been 16 yrs old.

Tony

J.W.
11-12-2008, 06:17
Old charter at about 16 yrs. riding the back roads with my friends. I was driving and thought this stuff is nothing until we got out to p--s an I couldn't stand up. Oh boy what a ride.

J.W.

p_elliott
11-12-2008, 07:01
Paul, you are correct...although the first time I tasted bourbon would have been as a teething child when my mom rubbed my gums with Early Times, early 70's

Tony

From mothers milk to bourbon see where that leads :grin:

funknik
11-12-2008, 07:11
The first time I can be sure of it was Knob Creek and I was in college so I was probably 20. There could have been (likely) a shot or two of Wild Turkey before that, but memory does not serve.

Stu
11-12-2008, 08:09
I'm with p elliot. my first drink of bourbon was probably before most members of this board were born. The first time I really tasted bourbon was the first time I went to KBF. I had so many great bourbons that trip that I really don't remember which was the first. I also had a couple of real losers. Fortunately in order to taste more and be able to distinguish them I had small pours, so the bad didn't last long.

ROTYDE
11-12-2008, 09:10
Would that be the first time I drank bourbon or the first time I tasted bourbon? There's a big difference if you get my drift. I drank bourbon for the first time as a teenager I really tasted it for the first time a couple months ago.
The question was tasted.

OscarV
11-12-2008, 10:30
I have posted this before but here goes again.
16 years old, a fifth of Old Grand-Dad and a six pack of Stroh's Beer.
I was sick for three days.
It happened on the night before Thanksgiving, I didn't drink the whole fifth and six pack, but enough to still feel it a few days later.

ThomasW
11-12-2008, 11:19
Jim Beam white and I was 18.
It was not only my first bourbon but also my first taste of hard liquor.

Slob
11-12-2008, 11:27
Age 14 or 15. Old Grand Dad.

whskylvr
11-12-2008, 11:59
I was 16 yrs old and a friend of mine and myself went to the top of a small hill on a Friday evening and started drinking. I had a bottle of Wild Turkey after finishing the bottle myself I decided to run down the hill and use my forearm's to knock down the trees ( I didn't knock any down, checked the next day) appartenly when I got to the bottom of the hill I passed out and woke up later Saturday afternoon.

What an experience!!

I didn't drink anything again for until my 21st B-Day.

Jono
11-12-2008, 12:19
I believe it was probably in a sip of my parents cocktail..7-8 yrs old?..most likely an Old Fashioned or something else. I do recall that we had a bottle of Wild Turkey and I am sure I had a minimal taste. It was no big deal for my parents to let me taste what they had...beer, wine, cocktails...knowing I would not really like it. I still remember those Maraschino cherries with liqour in them. We had a small pour of wine at holidays from a young age.

How could I forget....cold remedy of honey & whiskey (Wild Turkey) and then down the hatch....probably by 5 yrs old! Add aspirin and you have a primitive NyQuil...the original one...great stuff.

gothbat
11-12-2008, 12:47
I think it was WT80, I was 18 at the time. My roommate in college picked up a bottle and let me try a shot.

SBOmarc
11-12-2008, 14:24
Age 14 or 15. Old Grand Dad.

Mine was this pour as well. I was a younger than 14.

razerburnt
11-12-2008, 14:39
1986, 16 years old, WT 101. Funny thing, always drank it in shots and with coke, but couldn't really drink it neat or on the rocks without gagging until about 4 years ago when all of a sudden I could and haven't mixed any bourbon since. That's always seemed strange to me. All I could really taste before was the alcohol then one day a whole new world opened up to me.

Randy

ratcheer
11-12-2008, 15:01
Hmmm. I can't specifically remember the first bourbon I ever tasted. My impression would be that it was probably Early Times (when it was real bourbon) or maybe Waterfill and Frazier. I probably would have been about 16 years old. That would have been over 40 years ago. I'm sorry I don't have more detailed memories of it. :blush:

Tim

Special Reserve
11-12-2008, 15:06
The first bourbon I tasted had to be Pebble Ford BiB taken from a bottle my dad kept in the basement (all alcohol was in the basement including the hard cider). I probably was 14-15 years old.

Will

jburlowski
11-12-2008, 17:11
JBW, back when the earth was still cooling.

Hondo
11-12-2008, 17:53
Well... seems like it was Old Grand Dad and I didn't have a drivers license yet, so I'm guessing that i was probably 15. Wow... that was a while back!

ILLfarmboy
11-12-2008, 18:02
1986, 16 years old, WT 101. Funny thing, always drank it in shots and with coke, but couldn't really drink it neat or on the rocks without gagging until about 4 years ago when all of a sudden I could and haven't mixed any bourbon since. That's always seemed strange to me. All I could really taste before was the alcohol then one day a whole new world opened up to me.

Randy

That's interesting. I'm the same age as you and while I had encountered JD and drank Jack and Cokes for a year or so before coming across WT at a house party And trying it. I could never stand to mix it with Coke. I sipped it neat and would "do" the occasional shot from the get go. To this day I don't care for bourbon and Coke and I especially don't like high rye bourbon and Coke (WT and OGD)

gblick
11-12-2008, 18:27
I'm pretty sure my first bourbon was WT101, and I was probably around 17.

Dramiel McHinson
11-12-2008, 19:39
My first recollection of tasting bourbon was 1961. I was six years old. It was Christmas and I was at my grandparents house. During the holidays we had many visitors from our extended family and each night after a large meal the women collected in one room and the men in another. All the men were veterans of WWII and Korea and they drank Ancient Age back when it was 86 proof. I would sit with them and day dream of glory as they recounted their war experiences. After a while, I was designated as Drink Fetcher First class. I always sampled the pour to ensure it met mil-spec for quantity and quality. I discovered on Christmas 1961 the secret to their happiness. Ancient Age was good whiskey until Seagram's ruined it. Buffalo Trace hasn't brought it to its glory days yet but I still hold out hope. My grandmother was a fan of Maker's Mark and so these two whiskies led me to this forum some 47 years latter, still a fan of good bourbon and now, as a disabled veteran, I have memories of war and whiskey all my own.

Cheers to all you early adopters

edo
11-13-2008, 19:45
My first recollection of tasting bourbon was 1961. I was six years old.

Me, too! '61 and six years old! It was springtime, maybe the Easter holiday. My grandparents were visiting my house from out-of-town. My dad had built a bar in the basement and stocked it for poker parties (he, himself, drank beer almost exclusively.) It was morning. I remember the sun streaming through the basement windows. My dad was showing off his bar to my grandpa (my mom's dad) and my grandpa demanded a shot of whiskey (I.W. Harper, I think-something in a square bottle). They poured a couple and I asked for one. My dad hesitated, but my grandpa said to go ahead and give me one. I wasn't too sure how to drink it, so grandpa instructed me to just knock it back, "like a cowboy."

Dad: I don't know....

Grandpa: Go ahead boy, knock it back, like a cowboy.

So I did. Just like a cowboy.

For a split second I thought 'what's the big deal, it's not as good as iced tea' - then the heat.

Me: :bigeyes:MY CHEST IS ON FIRE!!!!!:bigeyes: (thinking: is it a mistake? is it poison? Fear/excitement freed a rush of adrenaline to add to the combustion going on inside me)

Me (again, louder)::bigeyes:MY CHEST IS ON FIRE!!!!!:bigeyes:

My dad looked a little worried, but my grandpa had slipped off the bar stool and was bent over convulsing with laughter:slappin:

Me (after a while): Cowboys drink that? Cowboys don't drink that!

It took my grandpa a full five minutes to recover from his :slappin: laughing fits.:slappin:

It took me another 10 years to try spirits again (and not wisely either-but that's another story.)

Dramiel McHinson
11-14-2008, 17:44
Me, too! '61 and six years old! It was springtime, maybe the Easter holiday. My grandparents were visiting my house from out-of-town.

EDO,

I almost fouled myself laughing although it may not have been so funny in 1961. We are brothers of a very small group of early adopters:grin:

I have no regrets and now that my grandfather is 93, his mind is crystal clear. When I visit him, we still have a bourbon together after dinner. He claims strong family and good bourbon are the stuff of life and I can't find a any reason to doubt him.

I'm throwin back an Old Weller Antique 107 in your honor....
Yep! The fire hasn't gone out:icon_pidu:

edo
11-15-2008, 01:08
EDO,

I almost fouled myself laughing although it may not have been so funny in 1961. We are brothers of a very small group of early adopters:grin:

I have no regrets and now that my grandfather is 93, his mind is crystal clear. When I visit him, we still have a bourbon together after dinner. He claims strong family and good bourbon are the stuff of life and I can't find a any reason to doubt him.

Enjoy your whiskey and enjoy your grandfather! My grandpa (born 1899) passed away a few years later, but he left me with some of my most vivid childhood memories. He was always pulling something.

The only thing I have here handy is Green Spot Irish. Here's to you and your grandfather: May you throw back many more with him!:icon_pidu:

No, the fire hasn't gone out, but it's nowhere as close to as hot as it was all those years ago. :grin:

BourbonJoe
11-15-2008, 04:01
My first bourbon was Old Grandad, I waited until 21 to drink hard liquor. I drank Grandad and water, exclusively for the next 20 years. Then I woke up.
Joe :usflag:

Special Reserve
11-15-2008, 05:00
EDO,

Dan,

Treasure the time you spend with your Grandpa. My dad's dad died in 1932, 17 years before I was born. My mom's dad dies in 1955, he did get the opportunity to give his oldest grandson (me) some homemade hard cider before he died.

Even though I was just 5 when he died, I do have good memory of him. He was a successful farmer in the thumb of Michigan who loved his Detroit Tigers. I was sitting next to him when he died in Briggs Stadium at age 72. Enjoying life one second telling his grandson about baseball and dead the next. Please let me go that way (but give me 15 extra years).

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to bring up his memory.

Will

sysrick
11-15-2008, 05:04
I was 21 and the bourbon was Wild Turkey. My age was just a coincidence – what got me started down the path was reading Hunter S. Thompson’s product placement of Wild Turkey (among other things that are not relevant to this thread :crazy:) in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas in Rolling Stone when it was first published in 1971.

nor02lei
11-15-2008, 08:03
101. I think I was around 30. Second one was EW 8 years.

Leif

Martian
11-15-2008, 11:39
Ancient Age when I was probably 19 in college. Mixed it with Coke and got drunk and sick. Took me several years to try bourbon again. I've never mixed it since.

Dramiel McHinson
11-17-2008, 17:25
Dan,

Treasure the time you spend with your Grandpa. My dad's dad died in 1932, 17 years before I was born. My mom's dad dies in 1955, he did get the opportunity to give his oldest grandson (me) some homemade hard cider before he died.

Even though I was just 5 when he died, I do have good memory of him. He was a successful farmer in the thumb of Michigan who loved his Detroit Tigers. I was sitting next to him when he died in Briggs Stadium at age 72. Enjoying life one second telling his grandson about baseball and dead the next. Please let me go that way (but give me 15 extra years).

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to bring up his memory.

Will

Will,

Heartfelt Thanx! I consider myself very fortunate indeed that I can sit down with my father and my grandfather and share a drink while they remind me of all the outrageous antics I performed as a child. From my perspective, they have shared their lives with me all of my life. Now that I'm a grandfather too, I plan to follow their example as long as the good Lord will allow it.

This is a great reminder that we don't know when our last breath will come but we can live our lives more fully by sharing it with the ones we love.

Cheers!