PDA

View Full Version : JD Silver Select

Jono
12-05-2008, 20:04
This is my first experience with this TN Whiskey.

My notes are rather simple...I don't pretend to pick out each nuanced flaver:

Color...reddish gold.
Nose...nice, sweetly spicy aromas, caramel.
Taste....first impression is the alcohol due to the higher proof...which gives way to oak, a tiny hint of cinammon w honey, leather, dried fruit.
Lingering taste...after several minutes...I do pick up the ripe banana flaver on my tongue....not unpleasant at all...rather appealing..a roundish fat flavor that hangs around. I will have to pay attention with bourbons to see if this is prevalent....vs something I was expecting to find. The power of suggestion is very high with tasting notes.

One ice cube...as expected it brings out some sweetness.

Overall, a very fine whiskey. To me, very KY bourbon like...maybe some of you will no way....but to me...very similar.

In some ways, SS reminds me of Stagg....I know, I am nuts. I don't pick up any kind of "char" taste.

polyamnesia
12-06-2008, 14:50
how much is this going for?

funny, i don't like JD, but i still very much like the Gentleman Jack...and from it, i got that 'banana' sense. i was impressed. am curious how the other upper shelf JDs are...

thanks for the notes!

Jono
12-06-2008, 17:48
I recall it in the Duty Free going for about $29....I could be wrong....as my friend gave me the total for 3 whiskeys they were not broken down by bottle...I am going on memory when I saw it in the airport in October.

If I am off on the price somebody please correct me.

On another site somebody mentioned a "bing cherry" taste....I missed it but then again my individual tasting notes are lacking....it came across initially as a strong....100 proof whiskey but ends fairly gentle....a nice "bourbon" profile to my taste buds....not like the regular Old #7. I can't compare it to Gentleman Jack or SB....there is a thread on those two.

ThomasH
12-07-2008, 07:58
The Silver Select runs about 45.00 in duty free which is decent considering regular single barrel also runs 45.00 in my area!

Jono
12-07-2008, 08:52
Thanks for updating the price Thomas!

It is a good pour but I don't know that it is clearly better than many other lesser priced bourbons...but...it makes a nice addition to ones collection.
To think I was able to get 3 premium bottles...2 Canadian and 1 TN for the price of 1 very nice Scotch Single Malt shows the still affordable nature of North American whiskey...let us hope it lasts!

cowdery
12-09-2008, 20:28
Silver Select is just a relabeling of Single Barrel, at a different proof. The selection criteria is the same. In addition to duty free, they also use the Silver Select kit when somebody does their buy-a-barrel program.

Attila
12-10-2008, 04:36
This is my first experience with this TN Whiskey.

You've inspired me to open my bottle. This is the 2nd TN whisky I have ever tasted, after the Dickel Barrel Select.

I taste a very broad banana flavor in the background as well, though it is not sweet or creamy, almost like dried banana chips. I also found the honey, leather and dried fruit notes, but not the cinamon.

I found the alcohol a bit too high for me, so I added 1 oz. of water and a small ice cube to my 5 oz. pour and am enjoying it immensely.

I was expecting this to be some what similiar to the Dickel Barrel Select (which is a vanilla milkshake of goodness) but in fact the two are nothing alike. A nice addition to the collection, but at $50 a bottle, I wont be getting a replacement when this is gone (whereas I will be getting a replacement for the similarly priced Dickel BS, when that one goes).

Jono
12-10-2008, 08:06
Attila...the cinammon was just a background hint...not prominent..maybe I fooled myself! Anyway, I agree that it is a little too pricey in comparison to other good whiskeys..KY or TN...but it is a nice addition. The ice does open it up a bit and reduces the initial alcohol hit. I will have to add the Dickel to my collection.