PDA

View Full Version : Bought 8 Bottles This Week....(Pictures)

davek
12-20-2008, 18:17
Jumping right into it....am I...... :bigeyes:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/dblxx/img014.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/dblxx/img013.jpg

funknik
12-20-2008, 18:39
Good start! I'm interested to hear your reaction to & side-by-side comparison of the Elijah Craig 12 & 18...they are a couple of my favorite pours.

fishnbowljoe
12-20-2008, 20:07
That's a great eight there Dave. Joe

cowdery
12-20-2008, 20:17
We're terrible. The guy just dropped $200+ and we say, "good start."

Okay class. How many different distilleries does this haul represent?

How many different companies?

callmeox
12-20-2008, 20:25
5 companies but I'm not sure about where the Beam labels are distilled.

So (*takes off shoes for proper counting*) assuming that the KC and BH are different distilleries, I say 6.

(I checked my HH dates, so I edited out a bad guess)

Attila
12-20-2008, 20:27
Whats the difference in the two makers mark?

callmeox
12-20-2008, 20:30
One's a Blue and White wax bottle (Penn State?) and the other looks like a Christmas package.

Attila
12-21-2008, 00:05
One's a Blue and White wax bottle (Penn State?) and the other looks like a Christmas package.

So its the same whisky in different packages?

If so I would have swapped out one MM for a Wild Turkey Rare Breed, and the Basil Haydens for a Van Winkle Rye.

Actually, the only thing I see wrong with these pictures is that there are 8 bottles of bourbon, and none of them are open.

bvscfanatic
12-21-2008, 00:52

Right you are. And I want to be the first to offer to make this indignity up to him. So, Dave, if you need any help sampling that stuff, I just want to offer my services. :cool:

birdman1099
12-21-2008, 06:20
Actually, the only thing I see wrong with these pictures is that there are 8 bottles of bourbon, and none of them are open.

I would tweak that statement a bit....

Actually, the only thing I see wrong with these pictures is that there are 8 bottles of Bourbon, and none of them are MINE !!!!:grin:

Nice little Haul !!!!

funknik
12-21-2008, 06:23

Geez...I just meant that if Dave hadn't had a lot of bourbon before, these are good, solid representations...covering the bases, if you will. A good sampling of a few different price ranges and flavor profiles and most of these bottles very readily available. Next time, I'd go for something a little more exotic.

I am kinda terrible, though :stickpoke:

:grin:

mozilla
12-21-2008, 06:56
I like two of them...but, the other six could have been improved on.

I agree with Chuck. Too many rookies are overspending on labels that are not unique. Your just spending on advertising and packaging...which IMO, are complete ripoffs. You can't drink marketing. If you need marketing....go buy a magazine.

Look for labels from each distillery before going too far into purchasing. Get one from each and then move on. Try a couple of different proofs before trying over aged products. Many times with extra proof comes extra flavor.

And remember...PRICE DOES NOT EQUAL FLAVOR.

davek
12-21-2008, 07:06
OK....I am HOOKED !

It is snowing out....it's Sunday morning and I planning on hitting 10 little liquor stores throughout the day to see if I can find anything special.

I'll let you know what I come across :cool:

The Makers....only diff is the caps. You know the predidential bottle is going for $50+ on ebay. I am bidding on one.

Yep all are closed....I am waiting to invite ALL of you over for a tasting :bigeyes:

I'll let you know what I find today :0) I'm outta here.

funknik
12-21-2008, 07:11
OK....I am HOOKED !

It is snowing out....it's Sunday morning and I planning on hitting 10 little liquor stores throughout the day to see if I can find anything special.

I'll let you know what I come across :cool:

The Makers....only diff is the caps. You know the predidential bottle is going for $50+ on ebay. I am bidding on one.

Yep all are closed....I am waiting to invite ALL of you over for a tasting :bigeyes:

I'll let you know what I find today :0) I'm outta here.Good Luck, Dave....Happy Hunting!

davek
12-21-2008, 07:16
Thanks Andy....

Just won these also. I am going to get George Bush Jr. to sign them and sit on them for a while then re-sell them. I think I can pull about $300 each for them once they are signed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400018400393

shoshani
12-21-2008, 09:54
Okay class. How many different distilleries does this haul represent?

How many different companies?

Well, let's see...

We have in the pictures:

Maker's Mark, Elijah Craig 12, Old Forester, Basil Hayden, Maker's Mark, Blanton's, Elijah Craig 18 SB, Knob Creek.

This makes for five distilleries (Makers from Makers, Elijah Craig from Heaven Hill, Old Forester from Brown-Forman, Blanton's from Buffalo Trace, and both Basil and Knob from Jim Beam) and four companies, since Jim Beam owns Makers.

bvscfanatic
12-21-2008, 11:28
I suspect that you will be very pleasantly surprised by the Old Forester. Pricewise, it's pretty low ticket compared with the other bottles in your photo. I couldn't help noticing how it stood out. But it's quite a fine bourbon for the money, in my opinion.

Lost Pollito
12-21-2008, 11:57
Thanks Andy....

Just won these also. I am going to get George Bush Jr. to sign them and sit on them for a while then re-sell them. I think I can pull about $300 each for them once they are signed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400018400393
I'd say most people here are into bourbon based on it's taste. Not flipping things on e-bay for a profit. That is frowned upon. Get'm signed and drink them.

cowdery
12-21-2008, 12:59
It was a trick question, sort of. The answer is six distilleries and four companies, and it could be seven distilleries if the BH and KC were not both made at Clermont, but they probably were. They are two different recipes, but that's a different question.

Here's the tally.

Maker's Mark (both of them) -- Distillery is Maker's Mark, company is Beam Global

Elijah Craig 12 -- Distillery is Heaven Hill Bernheim, company is Heaven Hill

Old Forester -- Distillery is Brown-Forman, company is Brown-Forman

Basil Hayden's -- Distillery is Beam Clermont, company is Beam Global

Blanton's -- Distillery is Buffalo Trace, company is Buffalo Trace

Elijah Craig 18 -- Distillery is Heaven Hill Bardstown (DSP-31), company is Heaven Hill

Knob Creek -- Distillery is Beam Clermont, company is Beam Global

And for eight bottles, that's not a bad spread.

shoshani
12-21-2008, 14:05
Ah! I missed the distinction between DSP-1 and DSP-31 in the Elijah Craig.

Good trick question! :-)

callmeox
12-21-2008, 14:13
I was going that way with my initial guess, but riddle me this:

The HH fire in Bardstown was in early November 1996, so that's just over 12 years ago.

Any whiskey made at HH-Bernheim would be younger than 12 years as would any contract whiskey made elsewhere between the fire and when HH took over at Bernheim.

So...EC 12 is either HH-Bardstown or non-HH whiskey made elsewhere under contract prior to the fire, correct?

davek
12-21-2008, 14:38
I'd say most people here are into bourbon based on it's taste. Not flipping things on e-bay for a profit. That is frowned upon. Get'm signed and drink them.

Sorry...that was a sad attempt at a joke. I was hoping to hear someone say it would be worthless with J-Dubs sig on it. I know...bad bad attempt.

Lost Pollito
12-21-2008, 16:34
Cool. I just gotta thing against e-bay flippers. Bourbon is for drinkin. Btw, nice start on your stash.

bvscfanatic
12-21-2008, 17:16
Sorry...that was a sad attempt at a joke. I was hoping to hear someone say it would be worthless with J-Dubs sig on it. I know...bad bad attempt.

Yeah, that was the way I took it ... tongue in cheek.

Attila
12-21-2008, 19:08
Cool. I just gotta thing against e-bay flippers. Bourbon is for drinkin.

Whats wrong with e-bay flippers: http://cgi.ebay.com/Flipper-Season-1-2007-DVD_W0QQitemZ330295156993QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_DVD _HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item330295156993&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Besides, I wouldnt have half my stash (and neither would a couple other very reputable members of this board) without my local auction site.

Lost Pollito
12-22-2008, 08:35
If you get a nice price I see no harm. The beef I have is with folks that simply try to buy up all the goods, and then charge on a supply and demand kinda level. Stagg should be $50 - $70 , not above the 100 dollar mark. I know we're in a free market, but that just gets me a little angry. Also, beware of fakes. And now I call a truce with those that like e-bay.

davek
12-22-2008, 08:38
If you get a nice price I see no harm. The beef I have is with folks that simply try to buy up all the goods, and then charge on a supply and demand kinda level. Stagg should be $50 - $70 , not above the 100 dollar mark. I know we're in a free market, but that just gets me a little angry. Also, beware of fakes. And now I call a truce with those that like e-bay.

I agree with Lost Pollito....people are selling Eagle Rare 17 for $135 + shipping on ebay. That is just robbery.

Special Reserve
12-22-2008, 08:48
I'm surprised that people will pay $250 for a bottle of WTKS with a pewter top. Greater than 5 times it's retail value.

Additionally, I understand the high price for the VOF and VVOF, but I won't pay it.

cowdery
12-22-2008, 14:36
I was going that way with my initial guess, but riddle me this:

The HH fire in Bardstown was in early November 1996, so that's just over 12 years ago.

Any whiskey made at HH-Bernheim would be younger than 12 years as would any contract whiskey made elsewhere between the fire and when HH took over at Bernheim.

So...EC 12 is either HH-Bardstown or non-HH whiskey made elsewhere under contract prior to the fire, correct?

Heaven Hill acquired whiskey that was already in barrels when it acquired Bernheim, so it could be Bernheim whiskey, it could also be Beam or Brown-Forman (who produced for HH when they didn't have a plant, BF still does), or it could even be some DSP-31 that's a little over 12 years old, or some mixture of some or all of the above, so the question is actually even trickier than it at first appears. The fact remains, though, that the EC 18-year-old is almost surely DSP-31 whiskey and the 12-year-old most likely is not, although it might be.

p_elliott
12-23-2008, 07:26
If you get a nice price I see no harm. The beef I have is with folks that simply try to buy up all the goods, and then charge on a supply and demand kinda level. Stagg should be $50 - $70 , not above the 100 dollar mark. I know we're in a free market, but that just gets me a little angry. .

Some of the internet retailers are getting in on the action here as well, as I've posted else where one sites has Wm Larue Weller for $214.

Buffalo Bill
12-23-2008, 07:53
Omit the duplication of the Maker's and replace it with a bottle of Rock Hill next to that Blanton's, then we have a perfect line-up. Blanton's & Rock Hill Farms go together like Pitt & Angelina, always bucking for attention! BB

Lost Pollito
12-23-2008, 08:14
Some of the internet retailers are getting in on the action here as well, as I've posted else where one sites has Wm Larue Weller for $214.
Well. I hope they get stuck sitting on it, because that price is unfair.

Dramiel McHinson
12-25-2008, 16:46
Jumping right into it....am I...... :bigeyes:

Dave, I started down a similar path myself when I first decided I wanted to broaden my horizons in the whisk(e)y department. I found after a short while I needed a plan as there was no possible way to buy all the bottles I was interested in. The other problem I ran into was I kept opening bottles to try and ended up with a lot of open bottles and not enough friends to help me drink it. This is where our friends at SB come in handy.

I plan to pay for my youngest daughter's college with whiskey. Here's how it works. I open and drink one of my many coveted bottles of whiskey then, after a while, my daughter comes in and asks for money. Being in a very good mood, as I sip on my Pappy Van Winkle, I give her money. She comes back the next night and we repeat the process all over again. The whiskey keeps me happy and it helps me forget the pain I endure every time I open my wallet.

Your plan may be different, but you need a plan. Otherwise, you get caught in an endless journey limited only by the storage space you are able to provide.

Remember, we're here for you if you need help:icon_pidu:

davek
12-25-2008, 19:25
Dave, I started down a similar path myself when I first decided I wanted to broaden my horizons in the whisk(e)y department. I found after a short while I needed a plan as there was no possible way to buy all the bottles I was interested in. The other problem I ran into was I kept opening bottles to try and ended up with a lot of open bottles and not enough friends to help me drink it. This is where our friends at SB come in handy.

I plan to pay for my youngest daughter's college with whiskey. Here's how it works. I open and drink one of my many coveted bottles of whiskey then, after a while, my daughter comes in and asks for money. Being in a very good mood, as I sip on my Pappy Van Winkle, I give her money. She comes back the next night and we repeat the process all over again. The whiskey keeps me happy and it helps me forget the pain I endure every time I open my wallet.

Your plan may be different, but you need a plan. Otherwise, you get caught in an endless journey limited only by the storage space you are able to provide.

Remember, we're here for you if you need help:icon_pidu:

My plan.......have a "different" bottle for each day of the YEAR.

Then start all over again each year.

My plan :bigeyes:

wku88
12-25-2008, 22:25
I dunno. Sipping Old Fitz BIB right now, and the label says "Distilled DSP1, Bottled DSP31" Still some darn good whiskey. Would be a good wheater replacement for the redundant Makers. Well, mabey a Weller 12 would do too...CHOICES, MAN, CHOICES!

bvscfanatic
12-25-2008, 22:31
I dunno. Sipping Old Fitz BIB right now, and the label says "Distilled DSP1, Bottled DSP31" Still some darn good whiskey. Would be a good wheater replacement for the redundant Makers. Well, mabey a Weller 12 would do too...CHOICES, MAN, CHOICES!

So much bourbon, so little time :slappin:

Dramiel McHinson
12-26-2008, 19:55
My plan.......have a "different" bottle for each day of the YEAR.

Then start all over again each year.

My plan :bigeyes:

Excellent Plan! In a pinch, Booker's True Barrel Bourbon counts for two bottles due to the high alcohol content not to mention the concentrated bourbon taste.:drinking:

cowdery
12-30-2008, 20:30
My plan is simple: to always have whatever it occurs to me to drink.

Dramiel McHinson
01-01-2009, 20:11
My plan is simple: to always have whatever it occurs to me to drink.

I'm adding a tab A to my plan based on recent learnin' I received from the masters.:bowdown:

The main plan now reads, maintain cat in catbox squinty eyed happiness by enjoying good bourbon while handing out life savings to kids. Tab A reads, have whatever desired on hand. Tab A line 2 reads, maintain whatever desired on hand with sufficient quantity to last one year if budget becomes constrained due to education costs for kids.

This is a living document that will grow as I receive further guidance.

cowdery
01-01-2009, 22:26
I would suggest "move and don't give the kids your new address," but I'm sure you've already considered that, probably daily.