PDA

View Full Version : What beer are you drinking Winter '08/'09

barturtle
12-28-2008, 17:52
Couldn't find a beer thread, so I figured I'd get one going.

Visiting a friend in North Carolina and I decided to drag along some of my vintage ales that have been aging while I was away at school.

Consumed so far over the last couple days:

North Coast Old Stock 2007
J.W.Lees Harvest Ale 2000
J.W.Lees Harvest Ale 1998
J.W.Lees Harvest Ale 1997

Every one of them were still showing quite well, the J.W.Lees were are very much on the sherried side, but not at all tired/flat/flawed.

spun_cookie
12-28-2008, 23:33
I have been working the arrogant bastard of late… just seems to be right :D

I passed up a 3L today of it... figured i woudl save the $75 for bourbon... but I was very tempted...

Gillman
12-29-2008, 06:51
Trying different beers, including some of the old school. The all-malt Michelob released a year or two ago is settling into a good beer, it seems to have lost its citric and drying edge and has a good clean maltiness and well-integrated hop flavors. It still seems different than what I recall from the 1970's and 80's, but is an excellent product.

Gary

hjminard
12-29-2008, 07:20
Anyone ever try Boston Beer's Utopias? I have not had the pleasure, though I have had their Triple Bock ... which was an interesting brew.

Currently at home I have some Sam Adams Oktoberfest and Bell's Cherry Stout

TBoner
12-29-2008, 08:49
Been drinking Imperial Stout as winter has (sort of) set in. Samuel Smith, Great Divide Yeti (Oak Aged), and North Coast Old Rasputin. At the same time, I find myself retreating to old favorites from time to time, notably Samuel Adams, which has become a regular for me again.

Regards,

doubleblank
12-29-2008, 09:00
My younger brother brought me several micros from breweries around Leeds UK. The fave so far is Old Goat Strong Bitters at 8% by the Cropton Brewery. It is designed for bottle conditioning but this one tastes great now......malt and hops galore. The alcohol is barely noticeable. I'm also working my way thru the mixed case of Sam Adams seasonals.

Randy

Buffalo Bill
12-29-2008, 09:03
Harpoon Winter & Wachusett Winter. The Harpoon is to die for... BB

smokinjoe
12-29-2008, 10:50
My younger brother brought me several micros from breweries around Leeds UK. The fave so far is Old Goat Strong Bitters at 8% by the Cropton Brewery. It is designed for bottle conditioning but this one tastes great now......malt and hops galore. The alcohol is barely noticeable. I'm also working my way thru the mixed case of Sam Adams seasonals.

Randy

I'm on my second case of the Sam Adams Seasonal, too. The Holiday Porter and Old Fezziwig Ale are quite good, plus you can't beat the labels this time of year. Very Festive. I just can't get into the Cranberry Lambic, though. Those, I'll have to give away.

The beer I have really been enjoying is the Sam Adams Chocolate Bock Limited Edition brew. Have gone through a couple of large bottles, and it is quite tasty on a chilly evening. But, at $14 for a 25.4 oz bottle, I really don't want to like it too much!

OscarV
12-29-2008, 10:51
beer? what's that?:grin:

hjminard
12-29-2008, 11:10
I just can't get into the Cranberry Lambic, though. Those, I'll have to give away.

The beer I have really been enjoying is the Sam Adams Chocolate Bock Limited Edition brew.

I'm with you on the Cranberry Lambic. Yuck.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate the Chocolate Bock.

Boston Beer has become somewhat mainstream (and therefore (perhaps) sneered at by some of the beer elite), but they really do make some excellent beers. It's sometimes difficult to find smaller brewers making quality lagers (easy to find lots of excellent ales), and medium to dark lagers are my preferred brew.

If I'm not mistaken, hasn't Boston Beer become the largest American owned brewing operation? (A-B is Belgian, Coors is Canadian?, Miller is South African, etc.) Not to hijack ... just curious if my thought is correct.

dave ziegler
12-29-2008, 11:58
I have been enjoying 2 cases of Anderson Valley Brewing Companys Winter Solstice. It is one Wonderful Winter Ale and I think the Best one I have ever had because of the Great Maltiness of it. I had two at a party and it was so good that I spent the $45 a case to get it and boy have I enjoyed it. Its ABV is 6.9 and it is Highly Drinkable! So if you can get it give it a try it is Very Refreshing and the Flavor is so good that it tells you have another!
Dave Z
-----------------------------------------
Beer Its Not Just A Beverage beer Is Food

Josh
12-29-2008, 12:20
I just opened a bottle of the Trader Joe's Vintage Ale (by Unibroue [sp?]) 2007. Every year I buy three bottles. I drink one right away, one 6 mos. later and the last one when the next year's edition comes out.

I think the 2007 is quite good, certainly better than the 2006 was at this point, but the 2005 was better than either at 1 y/o. I think the 2007 may have actually been better at 6 mos. than it is now. Seemed richer. Or maybe I just liked it better in the summer!

DrinkyBanjo
12-29-2008, 12:28
I've been drinking a lot of beer lately.

Sam Adams Winter Lager (in my kegerator)
Stone Double Bastard
Sam Adams Winter Mixed pack (even the Cranberry Lambic!)
Saranac Winter Mixed pack
Sierra Nevada Celebration
Anchor Christmas
and finally assorted Belgium brews from St. Bernardus.

jesskidden
12-29-2008, 12:35
If I'm not mistaken, hasn't Boston Beer become the largest American owned brewing operation? (A-B is Belgian, Coors is Canadian?, Miller is South African, etc.) Not to hijack ... just curious if my thought is correct.

It depends on how one defines "brewing operation". Pabst sells more beer than Boston Beer Co., but all their beer is contract brewed -mostly by Miller, but The Lion in PA and City in Lacrosse (at least, they used to) brew some as well.

So, if you're not counting contract brewed totals, Yuengling (with 3 breweries operating now) sells more beer it brews itself than BBC (since City, High Falls and Miller still brew a lot of Sam Adams beers).

Boston bought and refurbished the old Schaefer brewery outside of Allentown, PA., so they'll probably pass Yuengling soon in the "self-brewed" column. That Schaefer plant once had a listed capacity of 5 million barrels. Both BBC and Yeungling are still under 2m bbl a year.

Of course, either way, I think it's kinda sad that the "largest" brewing company in the US that's US-owned has a total of around 1% of the market.

Also- For the record, tho' the "SAB" half of "SABMiller" started out as "South African Breweries", they are now headquartered in London.

spun_cookie
12-29-2008, 13:24
Anyone ever try Boston Beer's Utopias? I have not had the pleasure, though I have had their Triple Bock ... which was an interesting brew.

Currently at home I have some Sam Adams Oktoberfest and Bell's Cherry Stout

I have last years. I figured since it was aged in a BT cask, I would give it a try. 25.2% alc... a real sipper. I gove littles samples out to every hard core beer drinker I know and the folks that brew (one in the same I guess :)).

I do not plan on buying another... to much $$$ for what it is worth to me... but I am glad I got to try it and share it...

Come down to Tucson and I will pour you a glass

barturtle
12-29-2008, 15:17
I just opened a bottle of the Trader Joe's Vintage Ale (by Unibroue [sp?]) 2007. Every year I buy three bottles. I drink one right away, one 6 mos. later and the last one when the next year's edition comes out.

I think the 2007 is quite good, certainly better than the 2006 was at this point, but the 2005 was better than either at 1 y/o. I think the 2007 may have actually been better at 6 mos. than it is now. Seemed richer. Or maybe I just liked it better in the summer!

I got to try some of this last night for the first time, as there is no Trader Joes in my area. I was quite impressed with it.

ratcheer
12-29-2008, 15:21
Last night I dug into the back of the refrigerator and found one of the all-malt Michelob's. It was excellent.

Tim

SBOmarc
12-30-2008, 01:33
Fat Tire in the kegerator. Sam Adams Celebration and Sierra Nevada in bottles.

nor02lei
12-30-2008, 07:36
Me and my lady friend just had a Hercules double IPA with our meal.

Leif

TBoner
12-30-2008, 11:17
Stone Smoked Porter with mushroom-barley soup on a day that's really too warm for such things. Out to do yard work soon; perhaps a PBR at that point.

Regards,
Tim

polyamnesia
12-30-2008, 12:19
some belgian Stella Artois (a gift) in one of the two nice glasses that came with it! have shunned the belgian ales/beers for some time...i still prefer that sierra nevada, anchor steam, sam adams hoppiness, but this is a nice return. glad i followed my instincts and got that other big bottle of Angelique...might be my new years' pour (can't afford stagg...yet!)

funknik
12-30-2008, 19:49
Ballantine XXX Ale as usual....I'm a sucker for that stuff!

smokinjoe
12-30-2008, 20:58
Sweetwater Brewery "Festive Ale 2008". A tad less lip-smackin' as some of the previous years. But, terrific nonetheless.

Special Reserve
12-31-2008, 07:47
Bell's Christmas Ale and Sam Adams Winter Lager. Both are very good beers.

polyamnesia
12-31-2008, 19:14
went out to eat with my wife's family...had two good ole Sam Adams with a very nice filet mignon...my once a year enjoyment of medium-rare filet!

might jump into that Angelique, but might stick with what i am warming up to on this windy night of 60mph gusts...1792 RR....if only had some Stagg NOW!:rolleyes:

marco246
01-01-2009, 12:38
Plznsky Prazdroj. Say that three times real fast after drinking a few. Then put in the diacritical marks and see if it helps. Then buy a couple of vowels and try it again.

Cheers!

smokinjoe
01-01-2009, 13:23
A Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout. A stout brewed with coffeee. Nicely balanced, and hearty. I feared that the coffee would overwhelm the stout, but they really work well together. Nice while sitting outside and listening to Dawgs and Spartans on the radio.

Jono
01-01-2009, 15:56
A variety case of Dundee....ales, porters etc. Pretty good.
Also, the Michelob collection...Marzen, ale, porter etc....again, pretty good.

funknik
01-01-2009, 16:17
A growler of Cathedral Ledge Lager from Moat Mtn. brewery in N. Conway, NH. This is one my wife and I's favorite breweries and a client brought me the beer as a New Year's present. Very delicious.

Dr. François
01-01-2009, 16:29
I made my own this winter. A brown ale and a steam beer. I'm bottling the steam beer tomorrow. Brown ale has one bomber left!

When I was in CO, I had some great CO beers. New Belgium's 1554 Black Ale and 2 Below, O'Dell's Isolation Ale and Seven-Barrel Pale Ale, and C.B. and Pott's Total Disorder Porter and seasonal Pale Ale.

I miss living in CO.

However, this season has brought back the wonderful, seasonal Bell's Best Brown Ale. MI ain't bad, I suppose.

funknik
01-01-2009, 19:08
I made my own this winter. A brown ale and a steam beer. I'm bottling the steam beer tomorrow. Brown ale has one bomber left!

When I was in CO, I had some great CO beers. New Belgium's 1554 Black Ale and 2 Below, O'Dell's Isolation Ale and Seven-Barrel Pale Ale, and C.B. and Pott's Total Disorder Porter and seasonal Pale Ale.

I miss living in CO.

However, this season has brought back the wonderful, seasonal Bell's Best Brown Ale. MI ain't bad, I suppose.
I miss living in CO, too, Jeremy....New Belgium's Fat Tire is my all-time favorite beer and, for a while, they had a seasonal called Loft that was just outtasite! Also, Deschutes is available out there and I love the Mirror Pond Pale Ale.

gr8erdane
01-03-2009, 16:04
And to keep up with the Colorado theme, I've been switching back and forth between some Oak Aged Yeti from Great Divide, Frambozen from New Belgium (one of few fruity beers I like) and Deschutes Jubilale. Avery's White Rascal is becoming my go to lighter beer and I try to keep it on hand at all times.

Rughi
01-03-2009, 16:28
Phinney Flats Imperial Stout

I made it this summer (long enough ago that our newly-crowned BOTY 2009 had some of the Pale Ale I brewed the same day when he was our guest of honor at the EBSG), but only just started tapping it this week.

Beers of 10% or more (I know...malt liquors or barleywines, but they're still beer) should always get several months to compose themselves. I once worked at a pub in the Woodland Park area of Seattle where the owner bought up the winter stouts, barleywines and strong ales put out by the micros that were left after the holidays and let them sit for a June celebration. They were always much better after that aging.

Roger

kickert
01-03-2009, 16:30
I miss living in CO, too, Jeremy....New Belgium's Fat Tire is my all-time favorite beer and, for a while, they had a seasonal called Loft that was just outtasite! Also, Deschutes is available out there and I love the Mirror Pond Pale Ale.

I am drinking Fat Tire now... a gift from my stocking. I really like Mothership Wit and find La Folie to be an absolutely outstanding beer to have every once in a long while.

While I think fat tire is really good and worth trying (or picking up a case or two when visiting), I like other micro brews better. I am a huge fan of Alaskan Amber and Moose Drool.

dave ziegler
01-03-2009, 17:41
Tonight I am drinking Stegmairer Porter as it is cold out and Porter is a great way to forget about the Cold and even though it is not really Expensive it is one very good Porter! It goes good with my Shot of Peanut Liqour and Rye Whiskey washes things down! It is very cold tonight and I have always enjoyed Porter in the Cold weather.
Dave Z
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Moonshine Mike
01-03-2009, 18:39
Getting ready to open a Rogue's Chocolate Stout...and a nice plate of brownies. The perfect combination....

polyamnesia
01-04-2009, 15:07
took a chance and bought a variety case from the Phildelphia Brewing Company...nice variety of their 4 available brews.

tasting the 'Walt Wit' belgian style white ale...very nice, typical belgian nose and all. so far so good.

a shame i bought that WT Rye....so tempted to drift to that on a sunday evening...

dave ziegler
01-04-2009, 15:56
took a chance and bought a variety case from the Phildelphia Brewing Company...nice variety of their 4 available brews.

tasting the 'Walt Wit' belgian style white ale...very nice, typical belgian nose and all. so far so good.

a shame i bought that WT Rye....so tempted to drift to that on a sunday evening...
Boy You Can not go wrong with their Walt Wit and If you get to Phila you can buy it right at the brewery and their Tour is awesome and you can drink as many beers as you want at the Bar in the Brewery as long as you behave!
I had the tour this fall on a Sat in Nov and tried all their beers and the Walt Wit was so good I bought two fresh cases that were filled about a week before I bought them!
If You ever get down there on a Sat take the tour it is alot of Fun!
Dave Z
---------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------

Rake
01-05-2009, 19:41
I hit the Rock Bottom Brewery in downtown Denver today with a friend to try the Dirty Bird, a pale ale aged in Wild Turkey barrels and then dry hopped. Good beer with a great nose. The bartender also poured us samples of the '07 barleywine that has aged 11 months in WT barrels...exceptional stuff. It's definitely a sipper and has intense Turkey flavor.

After that, we hit the Great Divide Tap Room for some Espresso Oak Aged Yeti. Truly a meal in a glass with roasty notes and lovely hop balance.

Here at home I've been enjoying Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron, Sierra Nevada Celebration, Great Divide Hibernation, Abyss...too many to count.

smokinjoe
01-05-2009, 19:56
I hit the Rock Bottom Brewery in downtown Denver today with a friend to try the Dirty Bird, a pale ale aged in Wild Turkey barrels and then dry hopped. Good beer with a great nose. The bartender also poured us samples of the '07 barleywine that has aged 11 months in WT barrels...exceptional stuff. It's definitely a sipper and has intense Turkey flavor.

After that, we hit the Great Divide Tap Room for some Espresso Oak Aged Yeti. Truly a meal in a glass with roasty notes and lovely hop balance.

Here at home I've been enjoying Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron, Sierra Nevada Celebration, Great Divide Hibernation, Abyss...too many to count.

Nice day, Rake! :woohoo: You're New Year is off to a pretty good start! I...uh...hmm...sold some plastic today...:falling:
:toast:

Rake
01-05-2009, 21:17
Nice day, Rake! :woohoo: You're New Year is off to a pretty good start! I...uh...hmm...sold some plastic today...:falling:

Yeah, a pretty good day. This is what I do instead of looking for a(nother) job.

shoshani
01-06-2009, 23:29
I'm currently sipping a perennial favorite: Anchor Steam beer.

Virus_Of_Life
01-07-2009, 01:21
I am drinking a budweiser 24ouncer tonight, but planning to go Pliny hunting tomorrow. Curious what everyone's (anyone's) thoughts are on Pliny the Elder? For those unfamiliar it is a glorious beer from Russian River Brewery in Northern California. They don't call it an IPA, I think it is an imperial pale ale, I am sure many here know a hell of lot more about what makes what beer which than I - all I know is I like it. A lot. And it's in and out of stores very quickly.

After I find some I'll try to do some tasting notes in a new thread. Maybe some for Jubelale also.

DrinkyBanjo
01-07-2009, 07:24
We cannot get Pliny in NJ, next time I'm in PA I'll have to look for it. I've heard great things about it.

texascarl
01-07-2009, 08:39
Fat tire ale is about the only non-monounsaturated 'fat' allowed on my diet. Good stuff.

spun_cookie
01-07-2009, 20:16
has anyone had teh Monty Python Ale yet... I saw that for the first time in Boston... I meant to grab a six pack but was overly excited about the bourbons I was buying and forgot... dee-dee-dee

callmeox
01-07-2009, 20:22
I purchased a pint of it on draft back in late October and I found that it was nothing spectacular and just a novelty.

The best part was the neat ceramic goblet (http://cgi.ebay.com/Monty-Pythons-Holy-Grail-Ale-beer-goblet-MONTY-PYTHON_W0QQitemZ110329429366QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item110329429366&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50#ebayphot ohosting) that it came in .

(That's not my auction, I just linked there for the photos)

funknik
01-07-2009, 20:29
has anyone had teh Monty Python Ale yet... I saw that for the first time in Boston... I meant to grab a six pack but was overly excited about the bourbons I was buying and forgot... dee-dee-dee
M,
I've had the Holy Grail Ale a couple of times and it's pretty good stuff. Definitely nothing special, but enjoyable enough..very English (if THAT makes any sense). Sorry I missed you tonight, hope you guys had a good time.

spun_cookie
01-07-2009, 22:36
the grail would make it better... and I understand the "very english" sytle.... we are the knights that say nee

jesskidden
01-08-2009, 04:06
has anyone had teh Monty Python Ale yet... I saw that for the first time in Boston... I meant to grab a six pack

Since it came in six packs (12 oz. bottles one assumes), that means it's the new, US-brewed version from High Falls (formerly Genesee, of Rochester, NY). The UK-brewed version came in a 16.9 oz (500ml) bottle. Still credited on the label to "Black Sheep Brewing" (https://www.ttbonline.gov/ALFD/docs/08092TTB1409785_20090108060554.jpeg) company.

I've heard some reports that the beer is entirely different BUT some of that is based on a reported call to the "importer/distributor", Eurobrews, in which they said it's now a "domestic" beer and the caller took "domestic" to mean "US adjunct light lager".

High Falls is a pretty respected contract-brewer (some Samuel Adams Boston Lager and perhaps other SA beers are still brewed there) and they can brew a pretty nice UK style ale for those that remember the pre-1980 version of Genesee 12 Horse Ale. The brewery once (1930's) claimed to have the "only Burton Union fermenter in the United States" (tho' I'm guess that was scrapped years ago...).

Rake
01-09-2009, 14:07
I am drinking a budweiser 24ouncer tonight, but planning to go Pliny hunting tomorrow. Curious what everyone's (anyone's) thoughts are on Pliny the Elder?

I just picked up a couple of the freshest batch to hit Denver (12/6/08). Russian River just started distributing here a few months ago, and Damnation, Blind Pig, and Pliny the Elder are fairly easy to find (though Pliny sells out pretty quick). I've also tried RR's Supplication on tap at the Falling Rock downtown, and it's exceptional.

At any rate, since landing here, PtE is probably my favorite beer, aside from Abyss. I love the brightness of it, with the pine and citrus predominant. RR is now bottling Pliny the Younger, as well, but I doubt it will make it here. Or will it...?

DrinkyBanjo
01-09-2009, 14:11
It's official, I'm jealous.

callmeox
01-10-2009, 07:14
I had a couple pints of Haystack Wheat from Left Hand Brewing last night. My favorite watering hole ran out of the Pyramid Hefe and brought that in as a substitute. I'm a sucker for a good wheat beer and the Haystack really fit the bill.

smokinjoe
01-10-2009, 14:39
Just finished my run, just before it started pouring. To celebrate my good fortune, I am pouring a Jefferson's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout. This is seriously good beer. Lots of coffee, chocolate, and creamy. I may be looking at another, before long.

kickert
01-10-2009, 14:47
Just finished my run, just before it started pouring. To celebrate my good fortune, I am pouring a Jefferson's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout. This is seriously good beer. Lots of coffee, chocolate, and creamy. I may be looking at another, before long.

I love it... it is just too expensive for my blood.

polyamnesia
01-10-2009, 15:55
plowing through (slowly....there isn't much snow yet) this case of the local philly brewery's assortment...this time, the Newbold IPA....and it's a classic, snappy example.

Phischy
01-10-2009, 20:57
Pliny the Younger will not be bottled this year. For whatever reason RR can't get it done. There will be a keg of it at O'Brien's in San Diego next friday though.....

PtE is awesome, one of the best SDPA's by the man himself. It's a standard pour at three of th ebest beer bars in SD.

As far as beer goes...I'm getting ready to enter 12 beers in my first comp, so right now I'm rotating kegs in and out of 2 kegerators to get them carb'd and bottled...then new kegs. So for roughly 2 months I'll push 12 kegs through and will rarely have beer on tap to drink. Bummer....

Last night I had a Firestone 12....*drool* so good... next month at O'Brien's they're going to have an amazing lineup of beers. I just can't even tell you what goodness is coming.

Beer Blessed San Diego!

dave ziegler
01-10-2009, 22:07
Tonight it is Narragansett Bock and it is dam good with a few shots of Wild Turkey American Honey! I just love beer and whiskey together and tonight we are doing some enjoyable combo's.
Dave Z
-------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------

texascarl
01-11-2009, 15:54
Had a 22 oz Anchor Porter last night. It's been a while since I had one of these, which is a shame. A delicious brew.

Special Reserve
01-11-2009, 19:12
I had a rich and malty Belgian Ale called Draconus at Grizzly Peaks in Ann Arbor earlier today. What a great experience. Their beer selection had gotten much better over time.

http://grizzlypeak.net/brewerybox.html

Phischy
01-12-2009, 00:00
A buddy shared a Dogfish Head World Wide Stout tonight. 18% ABV...whoa...what a beast. Absolutely amazing and I have no idea how that guy manages to coax yeast to that high ABV without prodcuing fusel (hot) alcohols. I've managed to hit 15%, but that was with mead using a cuvee yeast. 10.5% with ale yeast is my biggest beer.

Vange
01-16-2009, 09:19
Golden Monkey by Victory Brewing, Storm King Stout by Victory Brewing, Duvel, Boddington's, Allagash Tripel Reserve.

All great and enjoyable brews.

DrinkyBanjo
01-16-2009, 11:34
I love Victory, I have had their HopDevil and PrimaPils. Both are great. I don't care for Tripels so I never tried Golden Monkey. How's the Storm King Stout?

Vange
01-16-2009, 11:48
I went to a wine tasting this past summer and met a rep from Victory and I tried all his stuff. My favs were the tripel, the stout, and IPA so I bought more after the tasting. The stout is very nice. Actual notes escape me at this moment. I want to go tour the brewery as it is only 1 hour and 20 mins away from me.

funknik
01-16-2009, 12:02
Allagash Tripel Reserve.
Go Maine!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrinkyBanjo
01-16-2009, 12:03
I can get Allagash in 1/6 kegs. What are their bests?

Vange
01-16-2009, 12:07
I also had the Allagash Curieux, ale aged in bourbon barrels, good stuff.

In total from Allagash I have had the tripel, Four (their quad), dubbel, Odyssey,and Curieux. All excellent. Not sure which I would want in bulk though.

smokinjoe
01-16-2009, 14:50
Finishing up the work day with a large bottle of Stone Smoked Porter. I have been overpowered with some of the German Rauchbiers, but this one from the Stone Brewery, is rather nice. The subtleness (compared to the German Rauchs) works better for me. I'm hoping to get to Stone next week, when I'm in Cali.

Rake
01-16-2009, 16:21
Hit the Great Divide Tap Room again today for some Espresso Oak Aged Yeti. Incredible as usual. I also got to try some experimental rye lager they're working on.

Restocked on Pliny the Elder as well, and bought a bomber of a semi-local wee heavy called Plaid Bastard. Got to say it was a good day.

dave ziegler
01-17-2009, 06:45
I have started my Second case of Anderson Vally Winter Solstice and find it to be a truly wonderful Beer flavorful and very drinkable with an awesome Maltiness to it.

I love the Victory Lager to and have two cases of it here on hand and I have been drinking up the Narragansett Bock my friend from NY Got me In CT. Next weekend he is on a mission to get me some more bock and some of their New Porter for me to try, if it is half as good as the Bock and regular Narragansett it will be awesome!
Dave Z
-------------------------------------------
Beer Its not Just A Beverage Beer is Food
-------------------------------------------

craigthom
01-17-2009, 08:55
Last night I had a Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale. I noticed that the 2008 version says "Wet Hops", while the 2007 says "Fresh Hops". I guess they want to make sure people know it's the same thing that has become so trendy.

SBOmarc
01-17-2009, 09:18
Stone IPA at a very trendy wine bar that recently opened in town. Many wines available but only a two beers.

jesskidden
01-18-2009, 05:00
Last night I had a Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale. I noticed that the 2008 version says "Wet Hops", while the 2007 says "Fresh Hops". I guess they want to make sure people know it's the same thing that has become so trendy.

The difference between "Wet Hops" and "Fresh Hops" in the Sierra Nevada Harvest series beers is due to the fact that the "Southern Hemisphere" (http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/harvest_southern.html) (New Zealand) hops could not be shipped "wet" - (weight, freshness and spontaneous combustion safety concerns IIRC) and were dried before shipping.

craigthom
01-18-2009, 06:36
The difference between "Wet Hops" and "Fresh Hops" in the Sierra Nevada Harvest series beers is due to the fact that the "Southern Hemisphere" (http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/harvest_southern.html) (New Zealand) hops could not be shipped "wet" - (weight, freshness and spontaneous combustion safety concerns IIRC) and were dried before shipping.

That's not what I've got, though. I've got the 2007 version of the regular Harvest Ale (http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/harvest.html). The neck band says it is made with "wet" (their quotes) hops picked on one day.

It's last year's version of the same beer; they just moved the "wet" from the fine print to the main label.

I found a picture. It lost a little resolution when I uploaded it, but on the end of the first line of the neck label you can see "wet", and the middle of the second line says "undried".

jesskidden
01-18-2009, 07:57
That's not what I've got, though. I've got the 2007 version of the regular Harvest Ale (http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/harvest.html). The neck band says it is made with "wet" (their quotes) hops picked on one day.

It's last year's version of the same beer; they just moved the "wet" from the fine print to the main label.

I found a picture. It lost a little resolution when I uploaded it, but on the end of the first line of the neck label you can see "wet", and the middle of the second line says "undried".

Yeah, sorry I wasn't more clear- I think they've switched to calling what used to be simply "Fresh Hop" ales to "Wet Hop Ales" *because* they now use the term "Fresh Hop" in another sense (dried in NZ, flown to the US and used as fresh as possible). I guess "Fresh as Possible Hop Ale" didn't fit (or look so good) on the label and "Wet Hop Ale" was chosen for the other ales because, as you noted, it seems even more "NEW" and trendy.

craigthom
01-18-2009, 13:03
I'm disappointed that they've changed the definition of "fresh" to match what they want to do. I'm also disappointed that they are bottling the Chico Estate Harvest, which makes it less cool to have had it.

The thing in their press release that really bothers me is this:

"Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. was founded in 1980 and is one of America’s first microbreweries."

Change that "is" to a "was" and I've got no problem with it. Unlike Sam Adams, I don't think they've tried to pass themselves off as a microbrewery in the past.

This is all very disappointing.

The Harvest Ale is still very good, and I'm going to go look for some Torpedo.

dave ziegler
01-18-2009, 14:56
Drinking one of my Favorites tonight Fullers London Porter a great Porter and with the cold weather a perfect time to drink it!
Dave Z
--------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------

DrinkyBanjo
01-20-2009, 07:18
I'm drinking Smuttynose Robust Porter from the kegerator. Very nice but after a few days in a row I'm getting a bit tired of it. Hopefully my enthusiasm will be renewed on Friday!

dave ziegler
01-22-2009, 03:16
Last Night it was Old Fezziwig Ale from Samuel Adams a Dam good Winter Ale that can only be gotten with the Holiday Pack each year!
Dave Z
-----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------

T47
01-22-2009, 08:21
I went to the Issaquah Brew House and had a sampler which included a Chipotle Ale, they will stick peppers in anything these days! It was an interesting Ale. The flavor of the Chipotle's really came through and gave the Ale a nice heat in the background. I did enjoy it but would not have wanted a big glass.
Much more to my liking was Dads Little Helper,a Malt liquor.

smokinjoe
01-23-2009, 09:49
While out in SoCal this week, I got to enjoy a few very nice beers. My hotel bar had Fat Tire Ale on tap. Very enjoyable. Realized last week that the Stone Brewery is in the same town, Escondido, as one of my customers. His company is basically right around the corner from Stone. So we went there for lunch, after our meeting. What an absolutely cool place! Had a Levitation, and the almond tilapia. Both were excellent. But, I should have ordered the Mac n Cheese, like my customer did. He gave me a try, and Holy Moly, was it good.
BTW, I have to say how impressed I was with the whole experience at Stone. The landscape is simply stunning. Good food in the restaurant. Indoor and outdoor seating. Beautiful women...everywhere. Just fantastic. Beer ain't too shabby, either. ;)

smokinjoe
01-24-2009, 21:49
I picked up a bottle of the Sierra Nevada 2008 Harvest Ale, today. It's one terrific beer. What a beautiful nose on this one. I swear I get roses here.
Wonderful amber color. And, I have to say, that the head on this beer is absolutely the most awesome that I have ever seen. It is almost like a mochaish colored shaving cream on top of the brew. Chunks of it hung on the side of my glass. I have made a point to make sure I rinse out the glass tonight, lest I might need to chisel the residue off the glass tomorrow. Very, very good.

dave ziegler
01-24-2009, 21:54
Tonight I had some Walt Wit Made by Philadelphia Brewing in Phila a very nice Belgian Stye Beer. And A Bottle of Victory Lager from Victory Brewing!
Dave Z
----------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------

SBOmarc
01-25-2009, 12:37
I picked up a bottle of the Sierra Nevada 2008 Harvest Ale, today. It's one terrific beer. What a beautiful nose on this one. I swear I get roses here.
Wonderful amber color. And, I have to say, that the head on this beer is absolutely the most awesome that I have ever seen. It is almost like a mochaish colored shaving cream on top of the brew. Chunks of it hung on the side of my glass. I have made a point to make sure I rinse out the glass tonight, lest I might need to chisel the residue off the glass tomorrow. Very, very good.

Joe,

You are telling me that you were less than 30 minutes away from my town and did not let me know? Bad, very very bad.

smokinjoe
01-25-2009, 13:04
Joe,

You are telling me that you were less than 30 minutes away from my town and did not let me know? Bad, very very bad.

OOPS! :o I figured enough people had dented your kegerator. :) I get out there a couple of times a year. Hopefully, we can hook up for a drink on one of my next trips. Do you ever get over to Stone? I was really impressed with it.

Phischy
01-26-2009, 23:41
On the 25th Stone had their Winter Storm, Lots of aged and rare beer. I had quite a few samples dating back to 2001. Which in the beer world makes it ancient.

Lost Pollito
01-27-2009, 09:54
Last night...Victory Hop Wallop. Tonight...Port Brewings ' Santa's Little Helper.

barturtle
01-27-2009, 10:14
I attended the Indiana Brewers WinterFest on Sat...nearly every brewery in IN was represented, and they all brought Cask-Conditioned versions of their brews or Cask-Conditioned special brews just for the occasion....it was an excellent event, if a bit crowded...okay, you could barely move through the throngs of people.

...for some reason it seems that the more remotely located the brewery the better beer they had on offer...I can't quite explain why, but it just seemed that way...they also had a cornhole event going on during the tasting...I'll try to remember to post some pics of the crowd later.

craigthom
01-27-2009, 18:04
I think I finally figured out the appeal of cornhole: it's less dangerous for drinkers than horseshoes.

funknik
01-30-2009, 19:50
A couple different Leinenkugel wheat beers tonight....good stuff.

Rake
01-30-2009, 20:57
Let's see...a couple nights ago it was Prima Pils and an Abyss '08. Yesterday I had Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout on cask at the Great Divide Tap Room, along with some Hades.

Tonight it looks like BSG on TV and Three Philosophers in the glass.

Jono
01-31-2009, 16:30
Still working on a variety case of Dundee (NY state produced) beers...tonight it is their wheat beer....seems like a decent version...not too hoppy...nice bready aroma.

http://dundeebeer.com/home.php

"Dundee Wheat Beer combines wheat and yeast into a refreshing hefeweizen-style brew. Unfiltered, so it is slightly cloudy and pleasantly unclear."

Just found out Dundee is part of a family of labels by

http://www.highfalls.com/

Dundee Ales & Lagers
Cream Ale
Genesee
Imperial
Steinlager
Toohey's
Thwaites
Seagram's Escapes
Seagram's Smooth

I am not familiar with these.....East coast beers?

Special Reserve
01-31-2009, 16:54
Dark Horse Brewing Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock.

I'm drinking it as a beer back to the BOTM, both are good.

Will

craigthom
02-01-2009, 09:21
"Perkulator" is one of my favorite beer names: It combines both the coffee and the "-ator" traditional dopplebock suffix.

Special Reserve
02-01-2009, 09:29
The Perkulator is very good. I was delightfully pleased. A must try if you like doppelbocks. It was also reasonable priced at about $1.75/bottle.

Lost Pollito
02-01-2009, 10:38
Last night I had a pint of Black Albert, and Hop Wallop from Victory.

polyamnesia
02-01-2009, 14:09
just finished off a nice Walt Wit belgian style ale from philly...

now that it's the Super Bowl, i do what i also do...i drink Budweiser...then only time of the year i usually do...being away from it for so long, i get 'flavor' though light it be....!

what made this bottle better was i did the beer-back.....a good swallow of Weller Antique....then the Bud....very sweet and a nice pair together.

by the time i get to bottle #15 or so of this case (in about 2 days....), i'll be sick of Bud and i'll hope some friends help me polish it off....:rolleyes: :grin:

nor02lei
02-01-2009, 14:34
I did have a Brooklyn black chocolate stout from last year with my dessert tonight. The new vintage will be realised tomorrow on the Swedish government store.

Leif

smokinjoe
02-01-2009, 15:35
just finished off a nice Walt Wit belgian style ale from philly...

now that it's the Super Bowl, i do what i also do...i drink Budweiser...then only time of the year i usually do...being away from it for so long, i get 'flavor' though light it be....!

what made this bottle better was i did the beer-back.....a good swallow of Weller Antique....then the Bud....very sweet and a nice pair together.

by the time i get to bottle #15 or so of this case (in about 2 days....), i'll be sick of Bud and i'll hope some friends help me polish it off....:rolleyes: :grin:

I got my new 12-pack of Budweiser for the Super Bowl, too. SB and Bud go together, like Peas and Carrots. I drink it all year, though. I'll have no trouble finishing off what I don't hit tonight. Hopefully, there be some left after tonight. :D

Jono
02-01-2009, 19:17
Leif, your post made think about Swedish beer history, knowing that almost every European nation has a beer industry. A quick look on Wikipedia did not show me any familiar brands...I wonder if any is exported to the U.S.?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Åbro

jesskidden
02-03-2009, 11:38
Leif, your post made think about Swedish beer history, knowing that almost every European nation has a beer industry. A quick look on Wikipedia did not show me any familiar brands...I wonder if any is exported to the U.S.?

[/URL]

I would guess the most commonly found Swedish beer imported into the US is [URL="http://www.bunitedint.com/portfolios/producers/pripps/carnegie_porter/overview.php"]Carnegie Porter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%85bro) . (Probably not the typical Swede's beverage of choice.) The "Brewers Almanac" (put out by the Beer Institute) says the total of all Swedish beer brought into the US in 2006 was 208 barrels- or a little over 3000 cases.

Phischy
02-03-2009, 16:17
Over the weekend I went to a beer tasting, the primary focus was '06/'07/'08 Abyss, then also had Double Simco, Hop Slam, an infected 3yr old barleywine, however it was a lactic acid infection (we're guessing lactobacillis) and it was actually quite good, but no longer a barleywine. And about 4 other beers I can't put my finger on.

That night a buddy and I rolled out for a bottle of Firestone Walker 12. Damn that's tastey stuff.

dave ziegler
02-03-2009, 17:21
Tonight I am drinking Stegmaier Porter and enjoying it very much, it is a very dark black in color and a very flavorfull Porter of the old style! I always have some Porter around been drinking it since I was 17 yrs old and this one now made by the Loin has always been a favorite!
Dave Z
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

smokinjoe
02-03-2009, 19:01
Just a Budweiser. And, it's clean and crisp. Quenching. Nothing off-tasting. And, it does have taste aplenty. Hey, I like a good micro a lot of the time, but dangit, I also like Bud!

Whiskey Willie
02-04-2009, 06:53
I had a Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat draft yesterday...Not bad, but I wouldn't want to drink fruit-flavored beer everyday.

barturtle
02-04-2009, 07:23
Last night was Affligem blond.

Vange
02-04-2009, 07:25
Had an Abbot's ale last night, very creamy and easy drinking similar to Boddington's but with less bitterness. Also had some Old Speckled Hen. Good stuff, good change of pace from big Belgian and Belgian style ales I've been into lately.

cigarnv
02-04-2009, 09:08
Last evening I enjoyed the recently released Bell's Hop Slam... a very nice 10% for those who like hops. Very well balanced, great finish and enough complexity to keep you interested. Also had one of my favorites... Skull Splitter...

nor02lei
02-04-2009, 14:58

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Åbro

Definitely none!

nor02lei
02-04-2009, 15:01
I would guess the most commonly found Swedish beer imported into the US is Carnegie Porter (http://www.bunitedint.com/portfolios/producers/pripps/carnegie_porter/overview.php) . (Probably not the typical Swede's beverage of choice.) The "Brewers Almanac" (put out by the Beer Institute) says the total of all Swedish beer brought into the US in 2006 was 208 barrels- or a little over 3000 cases.

Is that one available in US? Well it is an old classic in Sweden and by no means the best or as I see it the only drinkable beer from any full size brewery here in Sweden.

leif

Tennessee Dave
02-04-2009, 16:15
An odl standby tonight...Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. Creamy, sweet and delicious.

dave ziegler
02-04-2009, 16:44
Tonight its good old Gibbons with a shot of Eagle Rare!
Dave Z

dave ziegler
02-06-2009, 09:35
Last Night I had Paulaner Hef Weis Good stuff a smooth Wheat beer with a great taste and not totally expensive it is a great Drink. I keep many kinds of beer at Home just to be able to drink what I am in the mood for!
Dave Z
===============================================
===============================================

Lost Pollito
02-06-2009, 09:43
Last night had a bourbon - barrell aged Imperial Red at Rock Bottom. Potent and delicious.

pepcycle
02-06-2009, 19:00
The winter is so right for Double Bocks.

I'm diggin the Troegenator, a doppel from PA.

Righteous.

Malty yet balanced by a nice alchohol KICK!!

Sturdy cream colored head that hangs on for minutes.

DrinkyBanjo
02-07-2009, 13:28
Last night I was finishing up my Christmas beers, Sierra Nevada and Anchor, both very different but great in their own rights.

Today I swapped out Smuttynose Porter for Sierra Nevada ESB in the Kegerator, should be good.

Special Reserve
02-07-2009, 15:59
Scotty Karate, a Scotch Ale by Dark Horse Brewing. This one is a keeper. I like it better than Dirty Bastard Ale brewed by Founders Brewing which is also good.

Unfortunately, it is only brewed on a limited schedule. Oh well, some things in life are worth waiting for its renewal.

dave ziegler
02-07-2009, 19:40
Tonight I am just finishing my 3rd Pennbrook Amber Lager by Bucks County Brewing and it is a delightful Amber Lager just sitting here drinking it with some Eagle Rare 10 yr Bourbon great combo!
Dave Z
--------------------------------------------------
Beer Its Not Just A Beverage beer Is Food
-------------------------------------------------

spun_cookie
02-07-2009, 20:04
Tonight I cracked a 200ml or WT 80 proof from 12/10/93 at 15:24 (the info was there) and it is good. I have had the current 80 proof and (sorry Ox) it tastes like ass.

This is deep, has some complexity and all of the great WT attributes. Its not the 101, but it is good juice. I would put this against most any 80-90 proffers today and I think the WT could give them a run for their money...

I think I will go clean out the rest of these... The guy wants to much for them, but O'well.... its good juice.... and still far cheeper that a comp today.

Edward_call_me_Ed
02-07-2009, 23:13
I have a couple of bottles of Asahi Stout in the fridge that I am planning on having later today. Michael Jackson, beer and whiskey writer, said that it was one of the best beers in the world. In the past it was very hard to come by as it was made in very limited quantities, one batch a year. Last spring it started to appear in Tokyu Supermarket chain so they must be making more now. Wonderful stuff. Ed

cigarnv
02-08-2009, 04:56
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout 2006 brewing. This is a great bottle to put away for a few years in a dark cool place.... mellows out, sweetness dampens down while complexity and finish improve greatly....

smokinjoe
02-08-2009, 15:50
Absolutely diggin' on a Left Hand Rye Bock Lager. It's a 750 ml with a cool cork and one of those wire thingamagigs, like on a champagne bottle. It took a pair of pliers to get the cork out, and when I pulled it, it spewed like bubbly. Very, very malty, HUGE head, and silky smooth. Now, if I can just remember where I bought it, I'll go get another. :confused:

Special Reserve
02-08-2009, 16:33
... Left Hand Rye Bock Lager...

Sounds like something I'd really enjoy.

spun_cookie
02-08-2009, 16:45
Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA. 9% beer that is quite tasty. Picked up a 4 pack at a local liquor store yesturday while dusyt hunting. Good stuff.

cigarnv
02-09-2009, 04:59
Clipper City Loose Cannon has always been a favorite... heavy on the hops yet well balanced.

funknik
02-09-2009, 11:49
Maine Lobster Red Ale....and I know what you're thinking, but no crustaceans were harmed in the brewing of this beer. :grin:

Rake
02-09-2009, 16:10
A new shipment of Pliny must have just arrived, because I just downed the freshest bottle I've ever had: bottled 1/23/09. Almost, but not quite, as good as drinking it on tap at the Falling Rock.

ratcheer
02-10-2009, 17:22
I just bought a six of Sierra Nevada Spring Beer. I haven't tried it yet, though.

Tim

Lost Pollito
02-10-2009, 19:45
A new shipment of Pliny must have just arrived, because I just downed the freshest bottle I've ever had: bottled 1/23/09. Almost, but not quite, as good as drinking it on tap at the Falling Rock.
Now I'm thirsty and jealous. No RR in Chicago yet. Craving a pliny...both younger and elder.

DrinkyBanjo
02-11-2009, 06:57
I just bought a six of Sierra Nevada Spring Beer. I haven't tried it yet, though.

Tim

I have it on tap at home, they call it ESB (Early Spring Beer) but it is in fact an ESB (Extra Special Bitter). I only tried one pint after I tapped it the other day so I cannot comment yet, I'll have a couple tonight and see!

Tennessee Dave
02-11-2009, 15:13
Terrapin India Brown Ale...great stuff!

ratcheer
02-11-2009, 16:23
I have it on tap at home, they call it ESB (Early Spring Beer) but it is in fact an ESB (Extra Special Bitter). I only tried one pint after I tapped it the other day so I cannot comment yet, I'll have a couple tonight and see!

I had one, last night. It is certainly very bitter. Too bitter for my taste. I will probably drink the other five, but it won't be easy. :(

Tim

DrinkyBanjo
02-12-2009, 08:46
I liked it too but did not love it. I'd like to pick up a bottle to compare to the tap. There was something about it that just didn't click with me. I've been drinking a lot of 'extreme' beers lately and that might be part of my problem.

ratcheer
02-13-2009, 11:43
I had an inspiration about the Sierra Nevada Early Spring Beer on the way home for work. I thought, with its very strong flavor, it might go better with food.

So, I made up a Southern concoction (maybe it is more widespread than I realize) called tuna fish salad. This is a can of tuna, drained, plus mayo, dill pickle relish, and some very hot red pepper relish. I had it with saltine crackers.

And, yes, the SN-ESB went very well with it.

Tim

OscarV
02-13-2009, 14:21
Pizza night tonight, so I stopped and picked up some Grolsch.

gr8erdane
02-14-2009, 17:17
Joe, you really need to come out and visit. Left Hand is within walking distance (well for someone in a little better shape than me anyway). Their tasting room is outstanding (if you can find a parking spot) and they usually have a couple of products on cask. I brought a Rye Bock Lager to KBF last year among other things local.

Another nice local is Oskar Blues Ten Fidy canned (yes canned) Imperial Stout. I took some to Randy's party in Houston and it appears that Mark liked it. I'll try to reserve some for the Sampler. The cans help it to travel well.

Tonight I plan on tasting the third leg of Avery's Demons of Ales trilogy, Mephistopheles (Stout). At 16.1% ABV I think it might be my only beer of the evening.... The other two, Samaels (English Strong Ale) and The Beast (Belgian Grand Cru) were also present poolside at the KBF along with the Rye Bock now that I think of it. This is not a series for the faint of heart as many brew stalwarts available that day found them too rich. I ended up drinking most of the remnants myself to keep them from going to waste.

gr8erdane
02-14-2009, 18:24
Well, just finished a small taster glass of the Mephistopheles and my head is a bit foggy. BIG chocolate taste but it's so rich that it's hard to enjoy. I'm thinking of a beer vatting with something very light to try to bring out the flavors that are just so overwhelmed by the strength of the brew that I don't get much. I'm not sure if stout is the style of the beer or a description of who should try drinking it.

ggilbertva
02-14-2009, 20:54
Visited a new pizza Joint in Leesburg, VA called Fireworks Pizza. They had a respectable beer menu so I went with a sampler while waiting for our brick oven pizza.

Booklyn IPA
Victory Golden Monkey
Flying Dog Seasonal
Clipper City

After sampling, I went with the Flying Dog.

HipFlask
02-15-2009, 01:22
Last night at poker night I took Eastside Brewery's Snake Chaser Irish Sytle Stout. And today a large bottle of Meantime London Porter. I will be running back to the store to pick up another one of these. I just love bottle conditioned beer. Both are excellant beers but the porter is in another league. Try some if you find it.

nor02lei
02-15-2009, 11:36
Another nice local is Oskar Blues Ten Fidy canned (yes canned) Imperial Stout. I took some to Randy's party in Houston and it appears that Mark liked it. I'll try to reserve some for the Sampler. The cans help it to travel well.

Is that a fact that you live clause to the Oscar Blouse brewery Dane? My all-time favourite beer Gordon’s bubble IPA does come from that brewery. Dale is one of the best “normal” strength IPA I ever tasted as well. And I do like that the beer comes in a can!

Leif

smokinjoe
02-15-2009, 14:33
Joe, you really need to come out and visit. Left Hand is within walking distance (well for someone in a little better shape than me anyway). Their tasting room is outstanding (if you can find a parking spot) and they usually have a couple of products on cask. I brought a Rye Bock Lager to KBF last year among other things local.

Tonight I plan on tasting the third leg of Avery's Demons of Ales trilogy, Mephistopheles (Stout). At 16.1% ABV I think it might be my only beer of the evening.... The other two, Samaels (English Strong Ale) and The Beast (Belgian Grand Cru) were also present poolside at the KBF along with the Rye Bock now that I think of it. This is not a series for the faint of heart as many brew stalwarts available that day found them too rich. I ended up drinking most of the remnants myself to keep them from going to waste.

You're in beer Heaven, Dane. If I can ever find my way to Colorado, I'll take you up on Dane's Guided Tours of Brews. :D The Rye Bock Lager definitely is exceptional. I'm content now though, to sip on my last Jefferson's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout. It's very good in it's own right.

BTW, are you going to make it to Sampler?

gr8erdane
02-15-2009, 17:31
Yes Leif, I live about ten minute drive from Oskar Blues and rumor has it that they are going to open another tasting room/restaurant here in Longmont. The Gordon's is beyond excellent on tap at their pub in Lyons. Next trip to the US you'll have to come visit.

gr8erdane
02-15-2009, 17:33
So far I am planning on being there unless I do something stupid like find a job...

dave ziegler
02-15-2009, 18:58
Tonight I am drinking Red Stripe Jamaican Lager and enjoying it very much!
Before it I had a bottle of Stegmaier Porter It to was very good!
Dave Z

ggilbertva
02-17-2009, 15:48
Drinking an Allagash White. Nice fruit with spicy finish.

DrinkyBanjo
02-18-2009, 05:56
On Monday I had a St. Bernardus Abt 12. Wow that was something, if you like Belgian beers, or beer in general, I suggest you try one.

craigthom
02-18-2009, 15:13
If you are in the Louisville area you may want to stop by Keg Liquor in Clarksville for a tasting of some Sierra Nevada beers. More importantly, after the tasting they will be tapping a single keg of the Chico Estate Harvest at the New Albanian. I don't think it will last long. Not if I have anything to do with it, anyway.

polyamnesia
02-18-2009, 17:55
that case of bud i bought for the super bowl....just opened the 19th bottle....5 to go.....i think i just need to take them out of the fridge and use them for making beer bread....one cold bud in the summer is nice. but this is really truly sorry beer. what was i thinking? trying to participate in consensus americana?

micro/small brew is the truly patriotic way to imbibe.....

i rectified this whole faux pas by getting a nice sampling of STONE brewery's pale ale varieties: ruination IPA, pale ale and the Double Bastard....also picked up the Thames Welsh ESB and a Coney Island Albino Python....may i be absolved for my corporate sins:bowdown:

Rake
02-19-2009, 02:29
The new offerings from Great Divide: Claymore Scotch Ale and Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout. The Claymore is quite tasty, but the Yeti's a madman. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking some up.

dave ziegler
02-19-2009, 18:12
Tonight it was Saranac Black Forest a great Black as coal Beer!
Dave Z
Beer Its not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food
------------------------------------------------------

tr1strev
02-19-2009, 18:28
Sam Adams White Ale. Mmmmm!

polyamnesia
02-21-2009, 09:27
well, after a few days of Nyquil (10% alcohol....5 proof!), it's nice to have my nose and tongue back.

as it nears noon, i figured i'd open up a bottle of STONE Pale Ale, the flagship bottling of this super california (san diego) brewery.

excellent! it seems to be everything a Sam Adams almost is...but this is luscious, bitter where it needs to be and drinkable 100%. very impressed.

can't wait to try the heavier hitters later

by the way (should anyone know), is the Sublimely Self Righteous bottling available in Delaware, Maryland or PA?

barturtle
02-21-2009, 12:35
well, after a few days of Nyquil (10% alcohol....5 proof!), it's nice to have my nose and tongue back.

10% alcohol is 20 proof.

smokinjoe
02-21-2009, 13:50
Just finished my run and bike ride. Beautiful day here, but a bit nippy on the bike. So, I'm thirsty but chilled. Hittin' on a Sweetwater Brewing Co. "Happy Ending" Imperial Stout. Perfect! It's very dark, not overly smokey, and warming with it's 9% ABV. But, a big dry hop for a refreshing hit to quench the thirst. It's the kind of Imperial Stout that you can easily take from the bottle. Sweetwater puts out seasonal brews that they call "catch n release brews", and the Happy Ending is their January-March effort. This is my first go with this year's release, and I am very "Happy" with it. I can see myself working on these well into Spring.

Kendall
02-22-2009, 09:29
Blue Moon Winter Full Moon. Very good, sweet, don't think I would want more than 2 at a time.

OscarV
02-22-2009, 09:42
I've had a couple of Czechvar, nice Sunday morning beer.

Rake
02-22-2009, 15:26
Pliny! Pliny! Pliny!

The Falling Rock Tap House just tapped a keg of the very rare Pliny the Younger and I had to head downtown for a (half) pint. It was somewhat expensive but insanely good--major citrus and hoppy goodness, but in exquisite balance.

I'll be having another one tomorrow if they don't sell out before then.

dave ziegler
02-23-2009, 10:54
Last Night Walt Wit From Philadelphia Brewing Company an excelent Wit Beer in flavor and a Nice price 28. a case!
Dave Z
---------------------------------------------------
Beer Its not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food
--------------------------------------------------------

Josh
02-23-2009, 11:00
Pliny! Pliny! Pliny!

The Falling Rock Tap House just tapped a keg of the very rare Pliny the Younger and I had to head downtown for a (half) pint. It was somewhat expensive but insanely good--major citrus and hoppy goodness, but in exquisite balance.

I'll be having another one tomorrow if they don't sell out before then.
What an odd figure to name a beer after! Besides being the son of Pliny the Elder, he's only notable for one thing that I know of. But I'm not going to say what it is .:70358-devil:

At any rate, for what it's worth I wish I was drinking an Arcadia London Porter right now.

DrinkyBanjo
02-23-2009, 11:10
Pretty good beer weekend for me.

Arrogant Bastard
Nugget Nectar
Sierra Nevada ESB
Sierra Nevada Torpedo

dave ziegler
02-23-2009, 16:44
Tonight just kicking back with an Old Time Beer a 16 oz Gibbons returnable, a nice old time drink for just relaxing!
Dave Z
================================
Beer Its Not Just A beverage Beer Is Food
==================================

aberlour
02-24-2009, 08:05
Hertog Jan Grand Prestige
A beer you should drink as a bourbon, enjoying every gulp.
(I'm Dutch but I really don't like Heineken.)

dave ziegler
02-24-2009, 16:24
Tonight it is Southern Tier Raspberry Porter a very Nice Porter, and I have always loved good Porters!
Dave Z
------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------

nor02lei
02-25-2009, 12:13
Sierra Nevada celebration ale. First I did have of this year’s edition. Very good as usual!

Leif

T47
02-25-2009, 18:37
My oldest came home to help us for a few days as my wife just had some surgery. He likes to try different beers and just left the door open for me saying he just wanted to try something new and something him might not buy himself (i figure for a college kid that means more $$). So I picked him out a couple I have never tried before; Chimay Ale, and Moylans "Hopsickle Imperial Ale" (he told me once he like a hoppy beer?). I will be curious to see how he likes them.

funknik
02-25-2009, 18:48
Hertog Jan Grand Prestige
A beer you should drink as a bourbon, enjoying every gulp.
(I'm Dutch but I really don't like Heineken.)Do you like Brand Bier? I spent a semester abroad in The Netherlands in college and developed a love for this beer....haven't had it in 12 years now, though. Welcome to the board.

chouffe62
02-25-2009, 18:54
Ithaca Ten. Rich and malty with a hint of smoke. At 10%, the drinkability factor could be dangerous!

Edward_call_me_Ed
02-25-2009, 22:08
Last night I had a Sapporo Classic. A nice 100% malt beer. Nothing to go wild about, just extremely drinkable.

A local Irish Pub is having a nomihodai (all you can drink special with a set time limit) that includes Guinness Stout. The offer is for February only so I should go real soon.

Ed

DrinkyBanjo
02-26-2009, 06:56
Yesterday I had a St. Bernardus Tripel and a Duvel. Both were splendid!

MissingKY
02-26-2009, 13:23
I've been drinking a lot of Kona Brewing's Fire Rock Pale Ale lately. At $7.50 or so, it's a great pale ale for the price: nicely fruity and hoppy but with enough of a toasty malt backbone to keep it balanced. Good stuf!

dave ziegler
02-26-2009, 17:21
Tonight I had some Magic Hat Circus Boy Hefeweizen given me by a friend very Nice Wheat Beer I must say and very drinkable too!
Dave Z

SBOmarc
02-26-2009, 19:14
I've been drinking a lot of Kona Brewing's Fire Rock Pale Ale lately.* At $7.50 or so, it's a great pale ale* for the price:* nicely fruity and hoppy but with enough of a toasty malt backbone to keep it balanced.* Good stuf!

My recent pale ale fav. Try the Longboard also. Tonight is an Orange Wheat from a local micro brewer, Hangar 24. Fruity Hefe and cloves.

DrinkyBanjo
02-27-2009, 07:10
Last night I kept with my Belgian theme and had a Ommegang Rare Vos. Nice and very Belgian just not as good as some of the Belgian big boys.

ggilbertva
02-27-2009, 20:30
Went to a local pizza place and enjoyed an Allagash White with a pie.....

OscarV
03-01-2009, 06:53
Last night after a long road trip I had 3 Molson Gloden's and it was "good night" after that.

dave ziegler
03-01-2009, 16:02
Tonight it is Sam Adams Black Lager a really nice Beer!
Dave Z
---------------------------------------------------------------
-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

barturtle
03-01-2009, 16:52
Broad Ripple Brewpub:

Evilsizor Russian Imperial Stout
Ankle Biter Ale
E.S.B

All well done.

Fish-n-chips pretty rockin too.

polyamnesia
03-02-2009, 07:53
my goodness...snow is making me come back to that 1/4 filled Stagg....but i admit, snow day, no school, before breakfast i had to HAD TO go for that DOGFISH HEAD Midas Touch first....

wow. those muscatel grapes remind me of mississippi scuppernong wine...but less sweet...and just simply better.

also exploring (not just other amazing DFH offerings like the 60 and 90 minute pales) Stone Brewing's obnoxiously experimental masterpieces like the Double Bastard and their flagship pale/IPAs.....wow. it's been a good transition back to almost fulltime beer/ale tasting (just joined the Beer Advocate). i usually find myself slinking through a bottle of Jaeger and then Tito's or Finlandia before i head into springtime beers.

Josh
03-02-2009, 11:16
Broad Ripple Brewpub:

Evilsizor Russian Imperial Stout
Ankle Biter Ale
E.S.B

All well done.

Fish-n-chips pretty rockin too.

Haven't been back to the old neighborhood for a long time, but I do remember that Imp. Stout at BBB. Good, good stuff.

barturtle
03-02-2009, 17:27
One the way home from Dawn and Jon's place (thanks again guys, I owe you one) I hit Oaken Barrel

Snake Pit Porter
Super Fly IPA

polyamnesia
03-03-2009, 16:55
bought the FLY DOG variety case...6 varieties...just had the CLASSIC PALE ALE and the much more distinctive SNAKE DOG IPA...

smokinjoe
03-04-2009, 15:44
Whoops! Found a lone Erdinger Oktoberfest Weissbier in the back of my fridge. Hidden behind a bunch of stuff that ain't mine, and shouldn't be in the beer fridge. If a man has no control over his beer fridge, what has he control over? :o Bottle says I should have had this before 01/09. Thank God, it still tastes just fine to me. But, that Juicey Juice is outta here!

polyamnesia
03-07-2009, 10:08
hit the nearby Delaware TOTAL WINE again and nabbed a bunch of IPA/pales...

starting to really like what local Lancaster Brewing is doing. loved the milk stout. the Hop Hog is really nice, not very IPAish, but it works, is tasty AND unique.

also, have some Troegs Nugget Nectar. yow. yowey.

polyamnesia
03-08-2009, 11:51
Fying Fish HopFish and Troegs Nugget Nectar...both are quite stellar. i think both got an A+ or A on BAdvocate from me....

the Flying Fish Extra Pale Ale was a huge huge disappointment. too sweet. no hops. glad the HopFish more than compensated.

looking for Sierra Nevada's TORPEDO....was about to buy a case here in Media PA, but Total Wine in DE, when they get it in, will charge about $8 less....! i'll wait.

IF ONLY I COULD FIND SOME PLINY THE ELDER:bowdown:

funknik
03-08-2009, 13:09
I had a little Long Trail Double Bag yesterday after a long day of skiing...it is a double-recipe alt bier with an 8% plus ABV....very nice after an equally nice day on the hill.

T47
03-08-2009, 22:12
Had some Elysian Brewing "The Wise", a clean flavorful ESB.

nor02lei
03-09-2009, 15:09
Last years Brooklyn black chocolate stout (last bottle) with the bourbon truffles I had for dessert.

Leif

kickert
03-09-2009, 17:47
An Ice Cold Guinness

MissingKY
03-09-2009, 20:38
Sierra Nevada's ESB tonight. It's pretty good; there's just enough hop bite to make it feel like a West Coast take on the ESB. I'm not sure I like it more than their pale ale, and it's definitely no Celebration. It's a good beer, though, and one that's worth trying.

dave ziegler
03-10-2009, 18:23
Tonight Red stripe and Budweiser American Ale with a shot of Peanut Liqour.
Dave z
---------------------------------------------------------
Beer Its Not Just A Beverage beer is Food
-------------------------------------------------------

Martian
03-11-2009, 07:51
Warsteiner with Tex-Mex.

nor02lei
03-11-2009, 15:01
Paradox smoke head. This is a 10 % imperial stout matured in an Islay cask. It is from the small Scottish micro brewery brew dog. Very, very smoky and rich. This is one of my favourite breweries.

Leif

polyamnesia
03-11-2009, 16:15
Sierra Nevada's ESB tonight. It's pretty good; there's just enough hop bite to make it feel like a West Coast take on the ESB. I'm not sure I like it more than their pale ale, and it's definitely no Celebration. It's a good beer, though, and one that's worth trying.

yes, the ESB is truly a treat, but having become a neoHophead, i need more like the Troegs' Nugget Nectar....i do like the SN pale better. and i am dying to try the Torpedo.

right now, finishing off my last Flying Dog SNAKEDOG IPA....had a (saranac) FIDDLERS GREEN pale and it was a little disappointing. too malty...stealth hops.....

DrinkyBanjo
03-12-2009, 05:56
I was able to try Nugget Nectar on tap the other day, that was nice! I have a bottle of Stone Ruination IPA at home, looking forward to that too!

smokinjoe
03-13-2009, 15:36
Heavens to Murgatroyd!! Sitting down with an 750ml Allagash Curieux Ale Aged in Oak Bourbon Barrels. And, I'm All-a-Ga-Ga! Absolutely, an Awesome beer! This is more than a beer. It's an experience. Heavy, but quenching. Fruity, but dry. You pour this thing, and you might as well take a walk around the block to wait for the head to fall down enough to take your first sip. Then, the nose alone, is enough to overwhelm your senses. Particularly, when you get to the end of the bottle...burp :o...The barrel influence is just perfect. You know it's there, but it doesn't dominate. But again, you still know, IT'S THERE. I don't know anything about brewing, but I think this is difficult to do, because I don't get squat out of most of these type of concoctions. Finally, the finish...the Finish!...might last until next week!
I need to get more of this.....
Thufferin' thallagash! Why can't I find a new "hobby" that's not $13 a bottle?! :cry:
To end...as I peer into the last 1/2 oz...of the last of the bottle...that rests in the bottom of my glass...I see all kinds of little particles...Black, brown, tan....
Yum! :yum: ...Dinner!!

polyamnesia
03-15-2009, 13:54
I was able to try Nugget Nectar on tap the other day, that was nice! I have a bottle of Stone Ruination IPA at home, looking forward to that too!

both of those are simply STELLAR!

i landed that case of Sierra Nevada TORPEDO and am plowing through it in slow motion...

also had some outstanding bottlings this weekend:

SMUTTYNOSE IPA and the Shoals Pale Ale (wow)
Heavy Seas Loose Cannon (yikes)

barturtle
03-15-2009, 14:17
Heavens to Murgatroyd!! Sitting down with an 750ml Allagash Curieux Ale Aged in Oak Bourbon Barrels. And, I'm All-a-Ga-Ga! Absolutely, an Awesome beer! This is more than a beer. It's an experience.

If you like it in that bottle you should have it on draft!:bowdown:

DeanSheen
03-15-2009, 21:46
I just had the pleasure of drinking some Stone Ruination IPA on tap. Never had it that way before.

Phenomenal. Imminently drinkable and the hops kept coming long after the drink was done.

SBOmarc
03-15-2009, 23:07
I too found some Stone Ruination on tap, and it was worth the wait.

Also had the Sierra Nevada Union Jack IPA, and did not appreciate it's lightness at all.

smokinjoe
03-16-2009, 07:23
If you like it in that bottle you should have it on draft!:bowdown:

The bottle say "Cases Bottled: 600". Doesn't sound like many. I'm sure the availability of kegs are is pretty slim, too? Timothy, I think I read that you had it on tap at the event you went to last week. It sounds like you enjoyed it?

funknik
03-16-2009, 07:36
The wife and I shared a Moorhouse Black Cat Ale yesterday after a beautiful day of spring skiing...very tasty grog.

polyamnesia
03-16-2009, 20:05
I too found some Stone Ruination on tap, and it was worth the wait.

Also had the Sierra Nevada Union Jack IPA, and did not appreciate it's lightness at all.

the stone is amazing.

amazing SN is the Torpedo. a true session brew.

dave ziegler
03-17-2009, 17:40
Tonight I am drinking a very Nice Porter ( Anchor Porter ) It is one of the Better Porters I have drank and has a perfect Balence.
Dave Z
-----------------------------------------------

smokinjoe
03-17-2009, 19:23
Green beer. A couple green beers. Then a Guiness.

DeanSheen
03-17-2009, 19:43
Jever tonight.

Nothing like a good bitter Friesland Pils to hit the spot.

barturtle
03-17-2009, 23:11
Three Floyds Brian Boru
Upland Ard-Ri
Stone Russian Imperial Stout

ratcheer
03-18-2009, 15:09
I am drinking the last bottle of the Sierra Nevada ESB (Early Spring Beer) right now. I have finally gotten used to the super bitter flavor, but I won't be buying it again.

Tim

Luna56
03-18-2009, 15:37
If I'm not mistaken, Tim, "ESB" stands for "Extra Special Bitter." The Red Hook ESB we get up here states that, maybe the Sierra is different.

I'm not a fan of real bitter beers anymore, India Pales and the like. The aftertaste is hard to handle.

Cheers!

barturtle
03-18-2009, 16:25
If I'm not mistaken, Tim, "ESB" stands for "Extra Special Bitter." The Red Hook ESB we get up here states that, maybe the Sierra is different.

I'm not a fan of real bitter beers anymore, India Pales and the like. The aftertaste is hard to handle.

Cheers!

Sierra actually does call its ESB Early Spring Beer. and really pumps up the hops in it to IPA range. Most Bitters and ESB are in the low 20's to mid 30's IBU whereas IPAs are in the mid 40's on up.

OscarV
03-18-2009, 16:54
Another unusally warm day and I even broke a sweat picking up empty green barrels and cleaning up after the St.Pat's nightmare,.....
so I got myself a 6 pack of Grolsch.

BTW, St. Pat's is about the stupidest holiday ever.
In Ireland the pubs are closed because it is a religious holiday.

barturtle
03-18-2009, 17:24
Another unusally warm day and I even broke a sweat picking up empty green barrels and cleaning up after the St.Pat's nightmare,.....
so I got myself a 6 pack of Grolsch.

BTW, St. Pat's is about the stupidest holiday ever.
In Ireland the pubs are closed because it is a religious holiday.

It's no less stupid than Christmas, Easter, Mardi Gras or any number of public holidays.

According to this article (http://www.the-review.com/news/article/4547780), that is no longer true, pubs are open these days.

ratcheer
03-18-2009, 19:08

Cheers!

Well, this one is labeled "Early Spring Beer" on all the labels. But it is certainly extra bitter. :bigeyes:

Tim

funknik
03-18-2009, 19:09
Went over to an ex-co-worker's house tonight after work and her husband fashioned me a couple Smuttynose IPAs from his kegerator. He's a beer distributor (and serious collector) and sent me home with a cool Leute glass as well as a Dogfish Head Tee, 50mls of MM, Michael Collins Blend, Glenfiddich 12yr and a bottle each of Anchor Christmas '04 & '05 for a sode-by-side.

Luna56
03-18-2009, 23:46
Well, this one is labeled "Early Spring Beer" on all the labels. But it is certainly extra bitter. :bigeyes:

Tim

Gotcha, Tim.

Timothy (Barturtle) says:
"Sierra actually does call its ESB Early Spring Beer. and really pumps up the hops in it to IPA range. Most Bitters and ESB are in the low 20's to mid 30's IBU whereas IPAs are in the mid 40's on up."

I assume that Sierra sort of co-opted the ESB designation for the "Early Spring Beer" name. Correct me if I'm wrong, Poobah!

Cheers, guys.

funknik
03-19-2009, 08:59
I think the ESB thing is a play on words, but I don't find it nearly as bitter or hoppy as the Sierra Nevada standard Pale Ale. I always reach for one of those when I get a hankerin' for something hoppy and I think it comes closer to an IPA in my mind than even their IPA designated brew does, which comes off a lot less floral to me.

I was having a similar conversation last night with a beer conoisseur friend who was saying his wife didn't really like hoppy brews, but preferred the Dogfishead 90min to the 60min. He claimed even though there was more hops in the 90, that it was balanced out by the presence of more malt as well....I wonder if the Sierra Nevada IPA has a similar thing happening or if I just prefer the Pale Ale and the extra hoppiness is in my head.

Luna56
03-19-2009, 19:51
Interesting point about the malt maybe smoothing out the hops.

I was in Slovakia a few years ago and had the honor of sampling ;) many of the beers from there and the Czech Republic and was absolutely blown away by nearly everything I tried. The character of the hops is fully in evidence but the beers were never bitter, just big and solid. I hope to go back sometime, those beers still haunt me.

Cheers!

Lost Pollito
03-21-2009, 19:19
Just had a pint of Big Foot, and I feel like sasquatch.

smokinjoe
03-22-2009, 10:03
After a long day of lugging crushed granite sand and fieldstone for a patio that I'm putting in, a couple of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA's really hit the target last night. The citrusy tightness was a real thirst quencher. I have just 2 more left, that I'm looking forward to these evening when I finish up.

dave ziegler
03-22-2009, 16:59
Tonight I am drinking Dock Street Bohemian Pilsner Beer and I find it delightful. Especialy after walking around Kinsey for about 3 Hrs! Never had this one before but it was on special for $9.99 because the box got wet and no one would by it so I got it for 1/3 the normal price and it is a very nice beer!
Dave Z

DrinkyBanjo
03-23-2009, 06:57
Yesterday I had two beers from the Defiant Brewery in Pearl River NY. I had a Porter and a Chocolate Porter. Both were good but the Chocolate Porter was very creamy and had some more flavor. Last night I had a Rogue Santa's Private Reserve Ale, that was VERY tasty!