PDA

View Full Version : First Timer's Club

funknik
01-05-2009, 12:03
Although many of you are obviously way ahead of the curve, there are many of us out there trying new bottles on a daily basis. This thread is to discuss what you had to drink today that you've never had before....

Yesterday I had the '08 Handy Saz and I loved it...although after a few other drinks and some ice cream, it did leave a bitter taste in my mouth....I think it's a great pour to start the evening.....

I'm becoming a bit of a hoarder and I need to bite the bullet and break some of my bunkered bottles open, but here's a list what I have on deck that I've never tasted before:

ORVW 10/107
VWLot 'B'
PVW15
'08 ER17 (waiting to do a side-by-side with the 10 year -- fancy!)
Elmer T. Lee (Julio's choice)
Four Roses SmB

My friends, what new experience have you had today?

kickert
01-05-2009, 12:10
I could not imagine purchasing a bottle I had never had and not opening it immediately. You are a stronger man than I.

hjminard
01-05-2009, 12:20
I could not imagine purchasing a bottle I had never had and not opening it immediately. You are a stronger man than I.

I'm with ya ... I have no intention of ever buying bourbon that I don't intend to drink (now!), and when I get a new bottle it screams :893drillsergeant-th at me until it has been sampled.

But for many it is apparent that the collecting part is as much the hobby as the drinking part. I have enough hobbies ... just ask my wife. :70358-devil:

More on topic ... being a newbie I recently sampled two Wild Turkey varieties that were new to me but are old hat for most here: Kentucky Spirit (very good) and Rare Breed (my new favorite!).

funknik
01-05-2009, 12:26
I with ya ... I have no intention of ever buying bourbon that I don't intend to drink (now!), and when I get a new bottle it screams :893drillsergeant-th at me until it has been sampled.

But for many it is apparent that the collecting part is as much the hobby as the drinking part. I have enough hobbies ... just ask my wife. :70358-devil:
Oh, I agree, it's tough, and it's not really about collecting as much as having options and a stockpile.....there are several factors.....one is that the liquor cabinet is only so big and can only hold a few open bottles at once. The second is that I have to travel to get a lot of this stuff as my selection around here is slim...so I'll have a buying binge, but don't have room to open numerous bottles all at once. Lastly, I just like to have something to look forward to...I would say that anticipation is a major factor in my enjoyment of anything...if I build up a burnin' desire for something it will be that much sweeter when I let myself at it.

Cheers!

hjminard
01-05-2009, 12:30
Lastly, I just like to have something to look forward to...I would say that anticipation is a major factor in my enjoyment of anything...if I build up a burnin' desire for something it will be that much sweeter when I let myself at it.

That's a very good point, and for some things and some bourbons (not many, though) the anticipation is better than the reality.

Must build willpower ...

kickert
01-05-2009, 12:41
Oh, I agree, it's tough, and it's not really about collecting as much as having options and a stockpile.....there are several factors.....one is that the liquor cabinet is only so big and can only hold a few open bottles at once. The second is that I have to travel to get a lot of this stuff as my selection around here is slim...so I'll have a buying binge, but don't have room to open numerous bottles all at once. Lastly, I just like to have something to look forward to...I would say that anticipation is a major factor in my enjoyment of anything...if I build up a burnin' desire for something it will be that much sweeter when I let myself at it.

Cheers!

I can see your point... and I also see your solution. Get a bigger cabinet!!

Blitz
01-05-2009, 13:31
Don't yell at me but I got a bottle of Pappy van winkle 20 for Christmas and just tried it last night. My son bought it for me and he was in and out of town over the holidays. I wanted to wait for him and try it together.

So I have an interesting collection. Four bottles and one of them is PVW20.

funknik
01-05-2009, 13:57
Don't yell at me but I got a bottle of Pappy van winkle 20 for Christmas and just tried it last night. My son bought it for me and he was in and out of town over the holidays. I wanted to wait for him and try it together.

So I have an interesting collection. Four bottles and one of them is PVW20.
Give it up, man, how was it?

Blitz
01-05-2009, 14:27
Give it up, man, how was it?

Keep in mind I don't know anything.

I really didn't care for the nose, it smelled musty. Fortunately it tasted a lot better than it smelled. It was very complex, much more so than anything else I have tasted. I can see why some consider it too 'woody',
but after the first glass when I got accustomed to the taste, I found it very delicious. It was a fun experience.

Special Reserve
01-05-2009, 15:35
I could not imagine purchasing a bottle I had never had and not opening it immediately....

I do this a lot. I never purchase a bottle with the intent of never drinking it or buying it for "investment" reasons. I always intend to drink what buy. But, I know myself, and I know that when the bottle is opened and I love it (which happens a lot) I will drink it steadily and it disappears too quickly. Besides, I do enjoy admiring my bourbons.

funknik
01-05-2009, 16:20
I do this a lot. I never purchase a bottle with the intent of never drinking it or buying it for "investment" reasons. I always intend to drink what buy. But, I know myself, and I know that when the bottle is opened and I love it (which happens a lot) I will drink it steadily and it disappears too quickly. Besides, I do enjoy admiring my bourbons.You said it, brother....this is exactly what drives me also.

mandujano87
01-05-2009, 19:24
Right now I have unopened bottles of Basil Hayden's, Booker's, and Eagle Rare SB. I just broke the seal on my Baker's and Bulleit. I didn't care for the Bulleit. It tasted too "generic" and the finish was a bit unpleasant. I'll probably mix it with some coke to finish it off. The Baker's, however, was probably the best bourbon I've had yet. Extremely smooth (despite being 107 proof) and really nutty. Based on my experiences with Knob Creek and Baker's I am really impressed with the Jim Beam small batch line so far. Tomorrow I'll probably crack open the BH and Booker's and see if they are as good.

Josh
01-06-2009, 07:10
Right now I have unopened bottles of Basil Hayden's, Booker's, and Eagle Rare SB. I just broke the seal on my Baker's and Bulleit. I didn't care for the Bulleit. It tasted too "generic" and the finish was a bit unpleasant. I'll probably mix it with some coke to finish it off. The Baker's, however, was probably the best bourbon I've had yet. Extremely smooth (despite being 107 proof) and really nutty. Based on my experiences with Knob Creek and Baker's I am really impressed with the Jim Beam small batch line so far. Tomorrow I'll probably crack open the BH and Booker's and see if they are as good.

I like the Basil Hayden (it has an unusual herbal taste to me) but I do agree with others that it's over-priced. Booker's is a great whiskey. Unfortunately, it may ruin your love for Baker's.:grin:

Anyway, had my first taste of Old Fitz BiB last night (recent bottling). I liked it a lot. Even with a splash of water, it's big for a wheater, but still has that sweet "whisper of wheat". I got a lot of cinnamon in the finish too.

mandujano87
01-06-2009, 09:35
Unfortunately, it may ruin your love for Baker's.

I wouldn't mind! It would be one hell of a bourbon that topped the pour I got out of Baker's yesterday. I'm also curious to see how they managed to pull of such a strong bourbon without it being overpowering.

funknik
01-06-2009, 22:20
Tonight I did a side-by-side with the BTAC '08 ER17 and ERSB10. I've had the ten year before, but not the 17...it is highly recommended.

Here were my notes...

ER10...
Nose: Strong oak, a hint of vanilla and maple sugar, strong alcohol vapors
First Sip: Spicy rye, oak and leather...not harsh but very in-your-face.
Next: Sweetness opens up and I'm getting that maple sugar I smelled, a softer feel in the mouth although the alcohol is definitely present in the flavor.
Finish: Fairly longish with a great lingering oak and hints of ripe fruit.

BTAC ER17...
Nose: Very woody/tannic, but hardly any alcohol burn in the nose
First Sip: Soft, silky texture is the first thing I notice followed by a touch of creamy caramel...it tastes vaguely woody, but most of this is still in the nose.
Next: Vanilla. The entire flavor profile in this seems very subtle.
Finish: Soft lingering wood that goes on forever...I imagine the barrel resting in a pastoral meadow with soft moss growing all over it....delicious.

After that, I decided to vat the two together 1:1 to see what I came up with...I was very pleased with the results:

ER10 & 17 Vat....
Nose: Maple sugar...woody but so sweet
First Sip: The flavor almost knocked me over it was so big...much more so than either alone...rye, very strong tea with cream, and sweet maple
Finish: The tea flavor continues and is joined by that wonderful soft oak.

This combo is a real winner (if not especially inventive). I'm usually a purist and don't get into vatting, but I'll definitely be doing this again. When I finished this pour I started all over again with the 10 to the 17 and then mixed the two again...everything was a lot sweeter the second time around, but this was just a great night of bourbon tasting!

mandujano87
01-09-2009, 15:26
Okay, over the week I tasted WR, WT RB, ER, and Booker's. Here's what I thought:

Woodford: Just as good as everyone told me it was. Very mellow (at least, compared to the Booker's I had enjoyed just before trying this with a very sweet caramel taste. Definitely gets and "A" from me.

Rare Breed: Had a bit of a bite to it, but no surprise at 108 proof. I really enjoyed it's sweet, citrusy quality and it had a bit of a tobaccoey finish that was a nice little punctuation mark to an excellent bourbon. I can see why some people might not like it, but I'm not one of them and this was definitely worth the money.

Eagle Rare: Honestly, I felt really let down with this bourbon. At 10 years it's a little bit older than some of the other bourbons I've tried so I was excited to see how it would work out. It has a really nice nose to it, but the taste was really a bit of a bore. It wasn't bad, there just wasn't anything particularly special about it. The finish was also somewhat reminiscent of cough syrup (not a good thing!). It has some nice vanilla notes going for it, but they don't come through as strong as they should.

Booker's: My love affair with the Jim Beam small batch collection continues after trying this one. Ridiculously smooth for a 120+ proof bourbon with a really strong tobacco taste. Defnitely a man's bourbon, and there's not a damn thing wrong with that.

kickert
01-09-2009, 15:29
Okay, over the week I tasted WR, WT RB, ER, and Booker's. Here's what I thought:

Woodford: Just as good as everyone told me it was. Very mellow (at least, compared to the Booker's I had enjoyed just before trying this with a very sweet caramel taste. Definitely gets and "A" from me.

Rare Breed: Had a bit of a bite to it, but no surprise at 108 proof. I really enjoyed it's sweet, citrusy quality and it had a bit of a tobaccoey finish that was a nice little punctuation mark to an excellent bourbon. I can see why some people might not like it, but I'm not one of them and this was definitely worth the money.

Eagle Rare: Honestly, I felt really let down with this bourbon. At 10 years it's a little bit older than some of the other bourbons I've tried so I was excited to see how it would work out. It has a really nice nose to it, but the taste was really a bit of a bore. It wasn't bad, there just wasn't anything particularly special about it. The finish was also somewhat reminiscent of cough syrup (not a good thing!). It has some nice vanilla notes going for it, but they don't come through as strong as they should.

Booker's: My love affair with the Jim Beam small batch collection continues after trying this one. Ridiculously smooth for a 120+ proof bourbon with a really strong tobacco taste. Defnitely a man's bourbon, and there's not a damn thing wrong with that.

So does bookers replace bakers for you?

Also, I found your tasting notes for WR and ER to be intersting. For me, I could reverse the notes and pass them off as my own.

mandujano87
01-09-2009, 18:04
As I said, ER just didn't quite do it for me. It's smooth and has a nice mixture of oak and vanilla, but I was expecting more from it, especially after ten years of aging. I should say that it's by no means a bad bourbon. In fact, I wouldn't describe any of the bourbons I've had as being bad. That's probably because I've tried my best to steer clear of the so-called "bargain" bourbons like Rebel Yell. On a letter scale I'd probably give ER a B+, which is where I also place FR SB, and I think that's pretty good company to be in. Then again, I think the Booker's has spoiled me with it's complexity so that few bourbons are going to live up to it. Or maybe my pallet just isn't as refined as yours yet. I'll come back to the ER later and see if I can something more out of it.

OscarV
01-09-2009, 18:18
As I said, ER just didn't quite do it for me. It's smooth and has a nice mixture of oak and vanilla, but I was expecting more from it, especially after ten years of aging.

I agree with you, ERSB is a nice house but nobody is home.

mandujano87
01-09-2009, 18:30
As for the Booker's, I don't think I would say that it is better than Baker's. Both have great qualities that lend themselves to separate occasions. I was actually pleasantly surprised by Baker's because it doesn't seem to be talked about much. I got the impression that it was sort of the little brother of the small batch collection, but I honestly think it might be the best of the bunch (although I still need to try that BH). The Booker's is top shelf stuff though, no doubting that.

funknik
01-09-2009, 18:46
I couldn't hold out any longer today and hauled some bottles out of the bunker for some first tastes....

ORVW 10/107:
I have to say before I start that this is the coolest label I have seen o a bottle of bourbon...I love the 'burnt' paper look and the antique drawings.
This bottle with definitely make a nice decoration when it is empty.

Anyhow, this is pretty good, but I was a bit disappointed. I would not have guessed after the first glass that it was wheated...it is strong and robust and very woody for a 10 yr old...much more so than older bourbons I've had.

NOSE: burnt sugar, grain
1st SIP: Oak wood is right up front & hits me first. This is very mellow and subtle, but I'm getting a grainy taste (maybe the wheat).
NEXT: a semi-sweet flavor and some citrus zest, toasted grain
FINISH: The oak continues and I can detect a little butter

After the second pour, the wheat profile in this is much more pronounced and the flavor reveals itself but remains mellow...this is a good pour, but has not convinced me yet of its greatness.

VAN WINKLE LOT 'B':
Thanks to Oscar who sent me some of this....I have a bottle bunkered that my wife gave me for Christmas & I will have to unveil soon.

NOSE: Cocoa and fruit...I can absolutely understand why Oscar describes this as smelling like a Chocolate Cherry Cordial
1st SIP: Sweet and mellow with chocolate prevailing
NEXT: Chocolate is still the overwhelming flavor with some definite fruit notes and the same sort of grainy flavor I tasted in the ORVW although more understated here. Classic bourbon flavor combined with an extremely mellow body...more complex flavors I'm sure will open up to me next time.
FINISH: Short & bready with only small hints of fruit and barrel.

This stuff is fantastic! Can't wait to open my own bottle.

4RsmB:
I really love the glass roses & parchment paper on this bottle, too...nice cork also (as corks go)...very pretty.

NOSE: Lemon, pepper & flowers (I'm thinking lavender)
1st SIP: Lemon & leather with a rye spiceness...a little tanginess
NEXT: Some vanilla and molasses sneak in with the leather
FINISH: Short & zesty, citrus & definitely lavender (or some other, similar floral note)

I liked this a lot....I would say it beat out the ORVW for drinkability and complexity although it is much more up front and in-your-face compared to the sublties of the ORVW. It was refreshing, tangier with more pronounced citrus than I've ever recognized in a bourbon before.

4RSB (Oscar & Tony's Barrel):
Once again, thanks so much to Mr. Oscar Hightower for making this side-by-side possible. After the very enjoyable Small Batch, I was more than excited to try the Single Barrel Expression picked by AC & Oscar -- I was not let down.

NOSE: Sweet baking bread
1st SIP: The texture was so much softer & subtler than the Small Batch it's amazing. This pour was tangy as well, but without any citrus -- I'm tasting sweet maple sugar and some pepper.
NEXT: Leather fades in and out quickly and then a hint of anise or some similar herbal flavor....
FINISH: very complex...the herb taste is subtle but definitely there....echoes of oak

This was unbelievable...so much different from the Small Batch. I understand now why single barrel expressions are so idiosyncratic...this pick is really a winner....I like both this and the Small Batch, but they are honestly nothing alike. Fantastic bourbon!

There.....that felt good. Who's next?

funknik
01-09-2009, 18:51
As for the Booker's, I don't think I would say that it is better than Baker's. Both have great qualities that lend themselves to separate occasions. I was actually pleasantly surprised by Baker's because it doesn't seem to be talked about much. I got the impression that it was sort of the little brother of the small batch collection, but I honestly think it might be the best of the bunch (although I still need to try that BH). The Booker's is top shelf stuff though, no doubting that.
I've tried all four and I agree with you, I think Baker's is the best tasting and smoothest drinking.

kickert
01-09-2009, 20:29
Had Ezra Brooks for the first time and hope to have Weller Cent tomorrow for the first time.

kickert
01-09-2009, 20:31
I am intriuged by the VW 10/107. It seems like the result of an uppity bourbon slumming it.

funknik
01-09-2009, 20:42
I am intriuged by the VW 10/107. It seems like the result of an uppity bourbon slumming it.Yeah, maybe I'm being overly critical because I built it up in my mind...too high expectations can ruin a good thing, & it has that great antique-looking bottle, handwritten number and the VW reputation really preceeds the bourbon. Still, it was good...I have high hopes for the rest of the bottle...maybe it's an acquired taste. It's pretty pricey: this would not rate very high on my value scale according to your formula, but now that I have it, I'll be satisfied to enjoy it. The Lot 'B' really is well worth the extra $4 or whatever the difference was.

Dramiel McHinson
01-09-2009, 20:43
This may not count but here goes...

I was looking for a before dinner drink and decided to experiment. I took about 25ml of Prichard's Cranberry rum and 25ml of Royal Lochnagar 12 and introduced them to each other in a four ounce port glass.

Nose: Ruh roooh! Honey roasted mushrooms and cranberry sauce. I need to think about this. Okay, I'll finish it.

Taste: Well... it was supposed to be an aperitiff. Chinese buffet sweet and sour sauce on fortune cookie.

Finish: Not nearly fast enough. Okay, wait a minute. I get soft oatmeal cookie and cranberry with cinnamon dipped in Tupelo honey.

The results are in. If I ever do this again I need someone to reeducate me with a wet, rolled up, newspaper. Age related dementia could be the reason for this exercise. To save face, I ate my meal and retired to a three finger pour of Booker's. Ahhhhhhh! I feel better now.

kickert
01-09-2009, 20:47
Yeah, maybe I'm being overly critical because I built it up in my mind...too high expectations can ruin a good thing, & it has that great antique-looking bottle, handwritten number and the VW reputation really preceeds the bourbon. Still, it was good...I have high hopes for the rest of the bottle...maybe it's an acquired taste. It's pretty pricey: this would not rate very high on my value scale according to your formula, but now that I have it, I'll be satisfied to enjoy it. The Lot 'B' really is well worth the extra $4 or whatever the difference was.

I liked the lot B better than the pappy 20. I do want try the 15... the seems like it will be a good balance.

I actually like the Weller 12 more than the lot b.

gblick
01-10-2009, 01:47
Tonight I'm having some WT Rye for the very first time. It's very good, and this is coming from a die-hard wheater.

Regarding the VW discussion...Around here the Lot B costs about $13 more than the ORVW 10/107, and I prefer the latter. But I've yet to try this latest release of the Lot B, which I hear is stellar.

funknik
01-10-2009, 07:18
Regarding the VW discussion...Around here the Lot B costs about $13 more than the ORVW 10/107, and I prefer the latter. But I've yet to try this latest release of the Lot B, which I hear is stellar.
Wow, Julio's where I got both of the aforementioned VWs tends to have high prices, but the Lot 'B' was on sale and that could account for the close price...I think the ORVW was $35 and the Lot 'B' $41.

ggilbertva
01-10-2009, 16:42
Interesting thread. I know there are two schools of thought on the subject of "bunkering" but the way I look at it is this. I try and do some research before buying a bottle I've never had but my experience has been that there have been very few bourbons that I didn't like in some capacity. Even lower shelf can be a surprise find (e.g. AAA 10 year). I bunker for the simple pleasure of having and trying something that may no longer be available years down the road. Fast forward 5 years and have a discussion about how you opened up a bottle of '08 Stagg....see the response you'll get. :bowdown:

As I've detailed in the Collectibles (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7142)thread, I like dusty hunting as it gives me an opportunity to try bourbons from yesteryear. While the desire to open the bottle is overwhelming at times, I manage to keep a level head and only have about 15 or so bottles open at any one time. In fact, I still have '07 BTAC bottles that I have yet to open. But, that's the fun of having a collection. Always something new and interesting to enjoy. So, in the spirit of discussing what I've never had before, '08 Handy that I found to be fantastic.

polyamnesia
01-10-2009, 16:49
i PLANNED to pick up the only TWO staggs in delaware county PA...it was on the PLCB site as such! i go there and they say they are being HELD by a New Jersey person.....ugh.....then why list them as there?

anyways, haven't had THIS new expression yet. dying to...but heck WHEN I DO GET IT andy, i think i will open it.

if i had it today as PLANNED, it might have sat there for a week.

i don't think i am capable of bunkering. at least at this point, making not quite $40K a year. no way.................................:rolleyes: :cool: (p.s. i friggin' TEACH!)

funknik
01-11-2009, 11:17
Last night I had the pleasure of trying PVW20, VOBBIB & WTR101 courtesy of Mr. Kickert. Thanks again, Ben, these were all lovely.

George
01-11-2009, 12:35
As a new bourbon drinker, I've tried only a few brands. I am finding I prefer the wheaters. I think it's because I find them a bit sweeter.

Having said that, I just tried Buffalo Trace a few days ago, and I really liked it a lot. It seemed like I tasted something different in each sip. Could be my inexperience, but whatever it is, it's been my favorite non-wheater so far.

Rughi
01-11-2009, 13:00
As a new bourbon drinker, I've tried only a few brands. I am finding I prefer the wheaters. I think it's because I find them a bit sweeter.

Having said that, I just tried Buffalo Trace a few days ago, and I really liked it a lot. It seemed like I tasted something different in each sip. Could be my inexperience, but whatever it is, it's been my favorite non-wheater so far.

Buffalo Trace may be a good distillery for you, as their bourbons are not as rye-forward as some of the others. Here (http://www.greatbourbon.com/) is a lineup of their brands.

George
01-11-2009, 13:08
Buffalo Trace may be a good distillery for you, as their bourbons are not as rye-forward as some of the others. Here (http://www.greatbourbon.com/) is a lineup of their brands.

Thanks. I think you may be right. Of the handful of brands I've tried, my two favorites so far were Weller Antique 107 and Buffalo Trace.

I have a Weller Special Reserve, Eagle Rare 10, and Elmer T. Lee I've bought, and I look forward to trying them.

funknik
01-11-2009, 14:36
Tried George Dickel No.8 for the first time today and really liked it -- don't think it will ever replace my No. 12, though.

funknik
01-14-2009, 21:09
Tried AAA 10yr tonight and I'm loving it -- especially for the money -- sweet, woody, easy to drink. Too bad its not available in ME.:smiley_acbt:

kickert
01-14-2009, 21:28
I had VSOF, THH (08) and ORVW10/107.

It was a great mystery tasting thanks to Andy. Very Very nice.

unclebunk
01-15-2009, 09:24

Cheers!

I'm with you, Mr. Funk. I've got nearly twenty different unopened bottles in my cabinet that are still waiting to be sampled, but all in good time. I've noticed that my tastes have changed dramatically since buying my first bottle of Makers Mark, as I inch steadily towards more complex bourbons that I'm quite sure I would not have appreciated had I jumped on them from the outset. In my own peculiar systematic way, I have deliberately consumed portions of more than a dozen bottles one at a time in order to "get to know them" before moving on to something else, sampling juice with light rye content before moving on to high rye content bourbons, and doing the same with wheaters, low proof to high proof bourbons/ryes, etc. Make sense?

I, too, also enjoy the anticipation factor and often find myself standing in front of my liqour cabinet for no other reason than to admire the many bottles I have purchased, much to my wife's complete and total bafflement. Maybe I'm not alone, but I find a beauty in the various shapes of the bottles, the interesting labels, the colors and hues of the hooch inside them, and the history behind each one that makes them unique and worthy of our admiration. It is an appreciation which goes far beyond simply enjoying an exquisite drink. Crazy, perhaps, but all true in my book. And none of this started out having much to do with "collecting" per se (although it is no doubt the beginning of that hobby) as it does finding good bottles at good prices at the right time.

Having said all that, here are a few items on deck:

William Larue Weller
George T. Stagg
Willet Family Reserve
Four Roses Small Batch
Four Roses Single Barrel (Binny's special selections)
Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye
Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye
OGD 114
Russell's Reserve (sadly not the elusive 101 proof)

I hope you enjoy your upcoming quaffs as much as I'm looking forward to mine.

funknik
01-15-2009, 09:35
I hope you enjoy your upcoming quaffs as much as I'm looking forward to mine.Right On, Brother!

unclebunk
01-15-2009, 09:47
Interesting thread. I know there are two schools of thought on the subject of "bunkering" but the way I look at it is this. I try and do some research before buying a bottle I've never had but my experience has been that there have been very few bourbons that I didn't like in some capacity. Even lower shelf can be a surprise find (e.g. AAA 10 year). I bunker for the simple pleasure of having and trying something that may no longer be available years down the road. Fast forward 5 years and have a discussion about how you opened up a bottle of '08 Stagg....see the response you'll get. :bowdown:

As I've detailed in the Collectibles (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7142)thread, I like dusty hunting as it gives me an opportunity to try bourbons from yesteryear. While the desire to open the bottle is overwhelming at times, I manage to keep a level head and only have about 15 or so bottles open at any one time. In fact, I still have '07 BTAC bottles that I have yet to open. But, that's the fun of having a collection. Always something new and interesting to enjoy. So, in the spirit of discussing what I've never had before, '08 Handy that I found to be fantastic.

My sentiments EXACTLY! You have detailed precisely the same path I have taken. Can you tell us what's next on deck from your bunker?

George
01-15-2009, 17:27
Just opened a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 SB. I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I liked it more than Buffalo Trace. I'll have to see how I feel after a few more tastings.

funknik
01-19-2009, 09:43
Thanks to the generosity of others I have recently tried the ER10/101 (NO bottling), Parker's Heritage 2007 (122.6 proof) -- both very good, OF Signature, OGD BIB -- not so much...that may be it for now....

funknik
01-25-2009, 13:57
Tried Very Old Saint Nick 20yr for the first time today...thanks, Emerald!

spun_cookie
01-25-2009, 14:14
Notes notes notes.... What did you think. Its a HH alright, but it has a uniqueness all to itself.

I need to do a review of that one as well... I opened it for Christmas this year. I think I will open the $25 version next year, assuming I finish this one by then.

Tried Very Old Saint Nick 20yr for the first time today...thanks, Emerald!

funknik
01-25-2009, 14:42
Notes notes notes.... What did you think. Its a HH alright, but it has a uniqueness all to itself.

I need to do a review of that one as well... I opened it for Christmas this year. I think I will open the $25 version next year, assuming I finish this one by then.
Did I say I thought it was HH? I definitely thought that, it's all through my notes. This tastes the same as EC18 to me, maybe a little less sweet. Here are the short notes:

NOSE: caramelized sugar, toasted corn
1ST SIP: charred wood & yeast
NEXT: soft tannic body, sweet cinnamon, butter & rye
FINISH: almost all oak, slight mustiness & some rye. The wood comes out in this more and more as I drink.

This reminds of EC18 very much, but maybe not as sweet...I would think this is HH juice. With some water, this sweetens up but I still couldn't tell the difference between this and EC18. Too much wood in this one for me for an everyday pour, but I would put this beside EC18 as a nice change of pace drink. Like it, don't love it.

Oh, I should have added that this was very mellow for the proof, no alcohol vapors in the nose and it goes down nice and easy. Of course, 20 years of aging and 94 proof makes it pretty easy drinking anyway, but it was sorta hard to finish, the wood was almost too much by the end.

Josh
01-26-2009, 07:39
I'm currently about halfway thru my first bottle of W.L. Weller 12 y/o. I'm not sure if it would qualify as a "go-to", but it's definately one I'll buy again.

I get a big hit of Granny Smith Apple in the nose, and then a more subtle and sweet taste on the palate, almost like moving from eating the apples raw to eating them in a pie with lots of cinnamon. Nice body and dark color too. Great cold-weather wheater IMO.

p_elliott
01-26-2009, 07:41
Tried J W Dant BIB for the first time to me it has a cherry taste to it. Can't say that I'm very fond of it.

funknik
02-06-2009, 22:05
Tried J W Dant BIB for the first time to me it has a cherry taste to it. Can't say that I'm very fond of it.
I don't love the Dant either, Paul. i agree with you about the cherry candy flavor -- it's very prevelant.

I tried some Cabin Still 86 proof from 1982, thanks to Greg...very nice SW juice:
COLOR: light, light amber
NOSE: big nose....toffee, roasted chestnuts
TASTE: roasted nut flavor continues with some 'artificial' sweetness and some grain flavors
FINISH: short to medium - grass and maple syrup -- no wood or barrel at all

Thanks, Greg...this was good stuff! Got me the SW sweet tooth so bad that I'm almost through another VSOF.

funknik
02-08-2009, 19:41
Lots of firsts this weekend...Had OC101, OC10 & OCPR...ran the gamut, so to speak.

Also had a little Weller Centennial 10/100 from Frankfort BHC bottling...this one was stunning...like a candy coated corn cob full of honeydew melon...

in a word.....delicious

jlinden7
02-09-2009, 17:19
I am with all of you who said you can't stand to have an unopened bottle. The only thing I have bunkered is the duplicates. I have lots of shelves in my office, so I just keep backing up books and replacing them with bottles. To date I have 4 shelves full and another 10 to go, I figure that gives me another 200 bottles - I will have to face the bunker decision in 6 Months.:grin:

Last night I discovered an unopened bottle of Baby Saz I bought a couple of weeks ago in PA, it goes without saying it stayed unopened for about 5 minutes after the discovery. I was very pleasantly surprised by it. I already had SAZ18 and think (don't shoot me) I might enjoy the Baby Saz better.

funknik
02-16-2009, 05:28
My brother-in-law got a 1.75 as a gift, so I tried Gentleman Jack for the first time this weekend and I see why many of you speak of the banana taste. I got a lot of banana in the nose and the taste. Banana and parchment paper or old library book. This stuff was pretty tasty and very smooth -- I can't say I would be dropping any Jacksons on it though.....maybe if it were at a higher proof.

kickert
02-18-2009, 13:18
I had ER101 today for the first time. Not only was it excellent, but it was my 75th whiskey to try. I could not ask for a better one to sample for a milestone.

funknik
04-04-2009, 22:33
Trying Russell's Reserve 90 for the first time out of a Glencairn Glass (also for the first time).

B3Nut
04-06-2009, 08:53
Had a total of 3 firsts this weekend as a bourbonewbie...I was in Chicago working ReptileFest (http://www.chicagoherp.org/fest/index.php) and Saturday night on my way back to a fellow Chicago Herp Soc. member's house I said what the hell and decided to pay a visit to Delilah's, which I had never heard about prior to coming to SB.com. All I can say is....Coolest. Bar. Ever. I tried a couple pours I've been wanting to try - BT and ETL. I definitely get what people are talking about WRT a "musty" or earthy note on the palate...but I did not find it objectionable, rather quite fascinating. My neophyte nose picked up some earth and toffee with a slight citrusy zing, toffee and earthiness on the palate with a touch of wood, and a good bit of earth and oak on the finish. Not sure I'd visit this every day, but definitely a bottle I think I'd like to have around since it's really different. The ETL was, to be brief, superb. Definitely one of the sweeter bourbons I've had, caramel sweetness and cinnamon spice seemed prevalent. But I didn't try to make too many analyses of this one this time around, I was too busy simply enjoying the drink! I simply must get a bottle of this! It's just stupendously-good hooch...delicious.

And Delilah's is just a great little bar. Can't wait to get down there again!

sailor22
04-06-2009, 11:41
I'm afraid I have a very hard time keeping anything but duplicates unopened. On the other hand if I like something I will typically go back and get one or two more so I always seem to have plenty of duplicates.

This week was my first taste of WTRR 10/101 along with a "Now on Super Sale" rack special selection of Ancient Age, Rebel Yell, and Benchmark 8.

I was surprised that the AA seemed so smooth and has so many of the carmel and fruit tastes I get from the ETL. Cousins for sure. I actually think it is a better pour than the relatively muted and too subdued AAA10star ( I haven't tried the 10 year yet).
The Rebel Yell is just what it seems - young and thin. A sweet interesting nose but not enough flavor to back it up.l Probably a good coke mixer.
Benchmark 8 almost gets kicked up a shelf, but not quite. More complex tastes but still too raw for fun sipping.

WTRR 10/101 is in another league from the previous three. Big sweet taste in front giving way to a dry spicyness at the back of the mouth that lingers into a long warm finish. Glad I bought all three bottles I saw.

independant
04-06-2009, 17:03
I opened my bottle of bookers last night and I must say I was not let down. My only problem was is it worth the 60 that I paid. To me it was just to have it on the bar but I could never see myself making it a daily pour. It comes from me being cheap I guess.

tommyboy38
04-08-2009, 10:15
Opened up a bottle of AAA 10 yr last weekend and enjoyed it...tasted very similiar to a Buffalo Trace SB from Binny's i have.

And i finnally had a good enough reason to open a bottle of PVW 15...my dad's birthday last Sunday...and I was a little dissappointed. I may have built it up to much in my mind. But I gave it a try last night and it was superb. I've often noticed that I'm not a fan of a pour from a new bottle but when I come back in a week or three, it's a totally different whiskey.
Not sure whether it's my tastebuds varying or if the whiskey changes subtlely.

p_elliott
04-09-2009, 07:16
Opened up a bottle of AAA 10 yr last weekend and enjoyed it...tasted very similiar to a Buffalo Trace SB from Binny's i have.

And i finnally had a good enough reason to open a bottle of PVW 15...my dad's birthday last Sunday...and I was a little dissappointed. I may have built it up to much in my mind. But I gave it a try last night and it was superb. I've often noticed that I'm not a fan of a pour from a new bottle but when I come back in a week or three, it's a totally different whiskey.
Not sure whether it's my tastebuds varying or if the whiskey changes subtlely.

As the bottle breathes over several days or weeks (one of my dumber inquiring post) the bourbon at least in my and others opinion does get better.

Klepackage
04-09-2009, 15:04
I find that most Van Winkle products do quite well when they've been given the chance to breathe. My first sip from a glass or pour from the bottle is almost never as good as the last.

Try letting it sit for about 5 minutes and then drink it.

funknik
04-09-2009, 15:24
I find that most Van Winkle products do quite well when they've been given the chance to breathe. My first sip from a glass or pour from the bottle is almost never as good as the last.

Try letting it sit for about 5 minutes and then drink it.
I agree with this, Chris. All of the Van Winkle bottles I've had (I haven't had any duplicates yet) were unimpressive at first and just as I was coming around . . . WHAM! the bottle was gone! :grin:

Klepackage
04-09-2009, 15:46
I agree with this, Chris. All of the Van Winkle bottles I've had (I haven't had any duplicates yet) were unimpressive at first and just as I was coming around . . . WHAM! the bottle was gone! :grin:

When I cracked open one of my PVW 15s, I was underwhelmed. Then I let it sit for about a week, came back, poured some and let that sit for 5 minutes. After that, it's all been great.