PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon Hit List

kickert
01-08-2009, 12:50
I find the more bourbons I try the longer my list of things I want to try grows. So what is on your list of things you still want to try. Mostly duties? Limited releases? Expensive bourbons our of your price range?

Here is my list:

Pappy Van Winkle 15
William Larue Weller (BTAC)
Eagle Rare 101
Sazerac Rye 18 (BTAC)
Pappy Van Winkle 23
Four Roses Single Barrel
Thomas Handy (BTAC)
Bernheim Wheat Whiskey
Old Rip Van Winkle 10
Weller Centennial
Four Roses Yellow Label
Sazerac Rye (Saz Jr.)
VS Old Fitzgerald
Sam Houston
Rebel Yell
Ezra Brooks

funknik
01-08-2009, 12:57
I'm most interested in stuff that's hard-to-find and/or out of production....Weller Centennial is at the top of my hit list right now.

Dr. François
01-08-2009, 13:23
I'm starting to get more and more interested in the annual releases. I'm waiting for the new Birthday Bourbon to hit the shelves. I wish there were more moderate price-point choices like OFBB and EWSB. BTAC kills my bourbon budget for 3 months every time I buy a bottle!

I also like forbidden fruit. If you can't find it in Michigan, I want it. I stock up on JTS Brown and Ritt BIB whenever I see them outside MI.

Virus_Of_Life
01-08-2009, 14:10
I'm waiting for the new Birthday Bourbon to hit the shelves. I wish there were more moderate price-point choices like OFBB and EWSB. BTAC kills my bourbon budget for 3 months every time I buy a bottle!

I totally agree with you there Jeremy! The OFBB is a great price for what you get IMO. When the BTAC hit the hi $50s and sounds like this year pretty well broke $60 I get a lot more hesitant to go out and buy it! And I feel a little silly about the money I spent on the Four Roses 40/120 anniversary bottlings only to find myself returning to the regular single barrel and liking it better than both of them! Oh well live and learn.

Just to reiterate, I have yet to be disappointed by a recent bottling of OFBB especially at under $40!

trx450
01-08-2009, 14:13
Here's a few that i would like to try.Most of them still in production and a few that aren't.

Pappy Van Winkle 15/20
Elijah Craig 18
Four Roses Anniversary
Four Roses Mariage
Eagle Rare 101....looked everywhere for this one and nothing yet.lol
RI 1
Very Special Old Fitzgerald
National Distillers versions of Old Crow and Old Taylor

mozilla
01-08-2009, 14:27
I find the more bourbons I try the longer my list of things I want to try grows. So what is on your list of things you still want to try. Mostly duties? Limited releases? Expensive bourbons our of your price range?

Here is my list:

Pappy Van Winkle 15
William Larue Weller (BTAC)
Eagle Rare 101
Sazerac Rye 18 (BTAC)
Pappy Van Winkle 23
Four Roses Single Barrel
Thomas Handy (BTAC)
Bernheim Wheat Whiskey
Old Rip Van Winkle 10
Weller Centennial
Four Roses Yellow Label
Sazerac Rye (Saz Jr.)
VS Old Fitzgerald
Sam Houston
Rebel Yell
Ezra Brooks

The current Rebel Yell looks like bourbon colored water. Unless you can find some older bottles...I would skip this one. It tastes as bad as it looks. I think they must have messed up in the filtration process by stripping out the color and some of the flavor.
I would also say that Ezra Brooks is just about as good as Sam Houston. Not as good, but for the price difference EB might win out.

chilidawg7
01-08-2009, 17:16
I totally agree with you there Jeremy! The OFBB is a great price for what you get IMO...

Just to reiterate, I have yet to be disappointed by a recent bottling of OFBB especially at under $40!

Agreed! I found a little place about 45 minutes away from me that has bottles of OFBB for $21.99. I almost feel bad paying that much for 'em. Almost.

As for my hit list, it currently is made up of stuff I have never laid eyes on (or tried) here in the state of Florida and looks like this:

Rock Hill Farms
2008 BTAC Handy Sazerac
Wild Turkey Split Label
Any of those really old bottles I keep seeing you dusty hunters find!
Blanton's Cask Strength
Blanton's Gold
Blanton's Super Gold

Now I'm getting thirsty.

kickert
01-08-2009, 17:40
Okay.... I will take Rebel Yell off and add 4 Roses 40/120/Mirage

Dr. François
01-08-2009, 17:54
Okay.... I will take Rebel Yell off and add 4 Roses 40/120/Mirage

Don't knock the 'Yell. I think it is one of the better 80 proof bourbons on the market! Worth a try, even if only to decide you don't like it. A bottle costs the same as three drinks at a cheap bar, so it's definitely worth the experience.

mozilla
01-08-2009, 18:52
Jeremy,
I was really shocked when I saw how lightly colored the most recent bottling is of RY. I will admit to buying more than one of many different years of RY, but this most recent one is super light in color. I actually let the distributer know in case it was a mistake. Though, every place I see it now...they are all the light colored one. The first place I noticed it...they had both the new and old. The difference was amazing.

chefnash51
01-08-2009, 19:25
great topic

I will break this into two list. One are ones I can find but can't put the dough down on right now.. the other, are ones I have never seen before.

If $ was no object:
Sazerac 18
Any hirsch
Pappy 23
EC18

Have never seen
WT Split Label
Russel Reserve 101
VWFRR
Weller Centennial
ER 17
OFBB
OF BIB
Weller 12
VSOF

i'm sure there's more that will come to mind.

ggilbertva
01-08-2009, 19:36
My hit list actually shrank as I found more are more dusty bottles. The ones that allude me are:

Old Crow BIB
James E Pepper
KY Tavern (earlier expressions)

Currently on my to get list:

Repeal
Mariage
BTEC

I'm dusty hunting next week so we'll see what I find.

Dramiel McHinson
01-08-2009, 20:56
Jeremy,
I was really shocked when I saw how lightly colored the most recent bottling is of RY. I will admit to buying more than one of many different years of RY, but this most recent one is super light in color. I actually let the distributer know in case it was a mistake. Though, every place I see it now...they are all the light colored one. The first place I noticed it...they had both the new and old. The difference was amazing.

This is heart breaking to read. The Rebel has fallen far from grace. I tried it back in the early 70's and since I didn't know any better, I liked it. In 2006 I bought a bottle out of nostalgia and poured a drink. All I can say is it excited my gag reflex. I put it back on the shelf and tried it a couple of nights ago and it tasted like W.L. Weller Special Reserve. I tried it again tonight and it had completely lost that off taste from the first pour and now is sweet and light like WL Weller or Makers Mark. A two year rest did wonders for it.

I only paid $12 for it. Still, it isn't going to compete with the favorites and letting an open bottle rest for two years to get it right probably doesn't make sense. I'll still be glad to drink it cause its paid for with 2006 dollars and it currently don't taste bad at all.

If its undergone a further slide, then this one is the last one for me.:cry:

Josh
01-09-2009, 08:33
Well, here are mine, excluding hopeless dusties & stuff I own already but haven't opened. These are to taste, not necessarily to buy:

Non-hopeless dusties:
ND era OGD, Crow, Taylor BiB's
Medley Era Wathen's
Jacob's Well (I had it years ago, but I would like to try it again)

Current Bourbons:
RHF
EB (any expression)
4R Mariage
EC 18
OFBB
Noah's Whatever
Hirsch
Parker's Heritage
Sam Houston
JB 7 y/o
PVW 12 Lot B
PVW 20 y/o
VSOFitz
OFBB
WT Kentucky and American Spirits

Other American whiskeys:
WTRR Rye
Old Portero
Cascade Hollow (current)
Stranahans (or whatever, the CO stuff)

I'm sure I'll think of some more.

kickert
01-09-2009, 20:25
Well I put out a bunch of hits, and I just took down one of my targets. I picked up a bottle of Ezra Brooks 90. Here are my brief notes:

Very big up front with lingering alcohol bite. Slightly oily with an earthy flavor a few seconds into the tasting

If you are looking for a big bourbon for low cost, this is your pour.

I also spent my day painting at my brother's house and requested to be paid in Weller Cent. I hope I can take anoterh one of my targets out this weekend.

funknik
01-09-2009, 20:47
Well I put out a bunch of hits, and I just took down one of my targets. I picked up a bottle of Ezra Brooks 90. Here are my brief notes:

Very big up front with lingering alcohol bite. Slightly oily with an earthy flavor a few seconds into the tasting

If you are looking for a big bourbon for low cost, this is your pour.

I also spent my day painting at my brother's house and requested to be paid in Weller Cent. I hope I can take anoterh one of my targets out this weekend.
There you go, Ben, way to get creative! I hope you nab the Weller!

boss302
01-12-2009, 01:56
* Eagle Rare 10-year Single Barrel
* Blanton's Single Barrel (easy to find, and always enjoyable)
* Ezra B. 12-year Single Barrel (that unique butterscotch note just doesn't show up in anything else)
* Russells' Reserve 10-year
* Evan Williams Black Label (my "go-to" bourbon)
* Sazerac Rye
* Baker's 7-year (Jim Beam's best bourbon, IMHO)
* Basil Hayden's 8-year (Old Grand Dad is still one of my favorites, and this takes it to the next level)
* Wild Turkey 101 (more bourbon for the money)

Blitz
01-15-2009, 15:42
Good thread.

First, here's where I've been:

Buffalo Trace - Like a lot
Knob Creek - Love it. Regular pour for me.
Rittenhouse 100 BIB - My first Rye. Jury still out
Woodford Reserve - unremarkable
Evan Williams 1998 - Liked it okay, not memorable
Makers Mark - solid
Pappy Van Winkle 20 - Love it, but not as regular pourHere is where I want to go:

Old Grand Dad 114
Eagle Rare 10
Elija Craig 12
Four Roses SB
Pappy 15
Bookers
Wild Turkey Rare BreedAm I on the right path? Any redundant choices? thanks for your input.

EricABQ
01-15-2009, 18:49
Elmer Lee is the one Bourbon I'm most anxious to try. It's not available here in New Mexico, so I have to keep an eye out for it when I travel, but haven't found one yet. From all the notes I've read on it, it sounds like something I'd like a lot.

NYtaster
01-17-2009, 16:06
I have tried most of what available up here in the great white north.

So stuff I'd love to try someday

WT Tribute - anything WT is a favorite
Weller Centennial
Pappy 23 - I can find it, costs a fortune
Four Roses Single Barrel
Eagle Rare 17 YO
The KY Bourbon Festival

Buffalo Bill
01-19-2009, 13:52
I recently (this past weekend) tried a new bottling of Sam Houston that is impressive for a $30 pour. However, I had to be patient with it. Once opened it didn't begin to show until the third day, then it came together like a symphony. Full of caramel, rye bread, and cereal grain with a syrupy maple and butter-rum sensibility. At first I was reluctant, then it really impressed me. Give it a shot - but look for the latest bottling. BB

polyamnesia
01-20-2009, 13:42
... * Ezra B. 12-year Single Barrel (that unique butterscotch note just doesn't show up in anything else)...

i agree....this is my inauguration pour today (inadvertently...i wanted it to be WT RYE but it was out of stock!)...

glad to return to this again...second time around THIS time is even better.

see my BE review...(azoth_melusina)

i am amazed and excited by this balance of spicey kick and sweetness. perfect proof. and aging.

Stones
01-21-2009, 17:02
Have been thinking about this for a while now and have been meaning to make up this list.

Here's what i've been savouring:

VW10yo 107 - incredible!
WT RR 101 - love it.
EC12 - insanely tasty when i find a good batch
Woodford Reserve - i've had better
Evan Williams 1997 - lacking strength
Blantons Special Reserve - love the musty taste that others don'tHere's what i'd like to be experiencing:

Buffalo Trace – 9 Year Old
Elmer T. Lee – Single Barrel
W. L. Weller Centennial
RVW Blue Smoke
VWFR 18yo
Rock Hill Farms

The Boozer
02-14-2009, 07:32
Have seen very few comments about Ezra B SB. Glad that a few people have tried it. Avaialble but tough to find in my state (MI). Did pick up a bottle yesterday and was planning on opening it tonight.
TJ
PS: I may drink the whole bottle since my wife is going to make me sit through a chic -flick with her tonight. :bigeyes: :slappin: :bigeyes: :slappin: :drinking:

Hondo
02-15-2009, 07:28
I have two that I want to try in the near future.

EC 18
Lot B

kickert
02-15-2009, 07:30
I have two that I want to try in the near future.

EC 18
Lot B

And.... according to your other post, OGD 114.

Hondo
02-15-2009, 08:05
And.... according to your other post, OGD 114.

True... but after these two.

It occurs to me that my bourbon addiction would be a lot easier for me if I were independently wealthy! :cool:

DeanSheen
02-15-2009, 10:58
This is the list I have been musing over trying/buying. Since I cant get most of these here I have to either buy them off the web or grab them when I go to KY in April.

I think I want to try the Four Roses before I buy any. I also have some reservations about springing for the Old Portero and VW 107 blind. I didnt like the OWA I had but I only tried one bottle of it and never tried to water it down. I'm thinking the VW 107 is going to be damn close to OWA.

OTO, I see that Party Source has a private bottling of AAA. I'm def. picking one of those up on my way down to the sampler to figure out if I should grab a bunch more on the way back up.

AAA 10
Evan Williams SB
Fighting Cock
Weller 12
Old Grandad 114
Van Winkle 107
Blantons
Elijah Craig 12
BTAC
Old Potrero
Old Charter 13
Rittenhouse 100
HIGH WEST RENDEZVOUS RYE
Willett Pot Still Reserve
Four Roses Single Barrel
Four Roses 120th Anniversary

PAspirit1
02-15-2009, 15:13
Excluding the bourbons I am avoiding due to price, the list is EC12, EWSB '96 or '95, ETL and maybe the underpriced OF sig I saw yesterday.

callmeox
02-15-2009, 18:16
This is the list I have been musing over trying/buying. Since I cant get most of these here I have to either buy them off the web or grab them when I go to KY in April.

(snip)

Evan Williams SB

(snip)

I saw a mix of the 1998 and 1999 vintages on the shelves in Lake County this past Friday, so if you move quickly you can get one of each year to compare.

Blitz
02-15-2009, 18:49
Good thread.

First, here's where I've been:
Buffalo Trace - Like a lot
Knob Creek - Love it. Regular pour for me.
Rittenhouse 100 BIB - My first Rye. Jury still out
Woodford Reserve - unremarkable
Evan Williams 1998 - Liked it okay, not memorable
Makers Mark - so so.
Pappy Van Winkle 20 - Love it, but not as regular pourHere is where I want to go:
Old Grand Dad 114
Eagle Rare 10
Elija Craig 12
Four Roses SB
Pappy 15
Bookers
Wild Turkey Rare BreedAm I on the right path? Any redundant choices? thanks for your input.

Since I first posted this, I have seen a lot of love for Elmer T. Lee, so I am adding it to my hit list.

Klepackage
02-15-2009, 20:11
Blitz,

Absolutely pick up some Elmer T Lee. It was one of my first variations outside the common bar bourbons and now it's a go to pour.

As for the rest of your list, here are my impressions

OGD 114 - I think you'll enjoy this based on your love for Knob Creek

Eagle Rare - My SB is not bad/not great. Your results may vary. The Eagle Rare 101 seems to be universally loved on these boards.

Elijah Craig 12 - I would take this over the OGD 114 as well as the EC 18 year version.

Pappy 15 - I liked this more than the 20 year personally. In all honesty, you're not going to go wrong with a Van Winkle product though.

Bookers - It's high proof and you really taste the alcohol. If you want something in the high proof range, look for a George T Stagg or a Thomas H Handy Sazerac. Both are 125+ proof but can be had neat and are still delicious.

WTRB - Some people love it. At $35+, I'll personally get something else. To be fair, I'm not the biggest WT fan in general. Buffalo Trace > Wild Turkey.

Blitz
02-17-2009, 21:13
Blitz,

Absolutely pick up some Elmer T Lee. It was one of my first variations outside the common bar bourbons and now it's a go to pour.

As for the rest of your list, here are my impressions

OGD 114 - I think you'll enjoy this based on your love for Knob Creek

Eagle Rare - My SB is not bad/not great. Your results may vary. The Eagle Rare 101 seems to be universally loved on these boards.

Elijah Craig 12 - I would take this over the OGD 114 as well as the EC 18 year version.

Pappy 15 - I liked this more than the 20 year personally. In all honesty, you're not going to go wrong with a Van Winkle product though.

Bookers - It's high proof and you really taste the alcohol. If you want something in the high proof range, look for a George T Stagg or a Thomas H Handy Sazerac. Both are 125+ proof but can be had neat and are still delicious.

WTRB - Some people love it. At $35+, I'll personally get something else. To be fair, I'm not the biggest WT fan in general. Buffalo Trace > Wild Turkey.

Hey klepackage,

Thanks for your feedback. That's why I am here. Here are a few updates. I got the EC 12 and thought it was awful. I know alot of people love it, and I know it's inconsistent. I also got some Bookers. People complain that it's too high proof to drink neat, but Booker Noe's intent with this product was for the end user to decide the proof (by adding water) instead of the distillery deciding the proof. I really like it. Also, Eagle Rare, I agree with you, it's okay. The the bottle doesn't call to me like others do. I also agree Buffalo Trace>WT. I can't get into the WT products, but I don't give up on anything until I give it a full chance. We'll see.

funknik
02-17-2009, 21:19
I'm coming for Julio's RHF...add it to the hit list...also, lots of things I can't get:

Rittenhouse Rye BIB
Virginia Gentlemen SmB "The Fox"
Weller Antique
Very Old Barton, BIB
Old Fitzgerald (any expression)

and I'm really itching for:

Eagle Rare 10/101

any age statement Wild Turkey

ACDetroit
02-18-2009, 19:36
Hey Boozer, I know of places with the Ezra B 12...let me know if you're looking for any.

Tony

Have seen very few comments about Ezra B SB. Glad that a few people have tried it. Avaialble but tough to find in my state (MI). Did pick up a bottle yesterday and was planning on opening it tonight.
TJ
PS: I may drink the whole bottle since my wife is going to make me sit through a chic -flick with her tonight. :bigeyes: :slappin: :bigeyes: :slappin: :drinking:

T47
02-18-2009, 19:45
I feel I’ve done pretty well here in the isolated PNW, thanks to some very kind SB folk! I would someday like to try some Four Roses Single Barrel, Old Forrester B-day Bourbon and some PVW 23. But MOST of all, I want to try anything available at the Gazebo one day...in the company of some of you fine folks...now that would be a drink I would truly savor.

:toast:

luv2hunt
02-18-2009, 21:47
I feel I’ve done pretty well here in the isolated PNW, thanks to some very kind SB folk! I would someday like to try some Four Roses Single Barrel, Old Forrester B-day Bourbon and some PVW 23. But MOST of all, I want to try anything available at the Gazebo one day...in the company of some of you fine folks...now that would be a drink I would truly savor.

I can help you with all of those :grin: :grin: If you ever decide to come to the gazebo.....you have to promise to stop at my house!!

Dawn

Stu
02-19-2009, 09:59

Todd,

You've got to make it to the gazebo some time. I promise it's an experience you'll always remember. These folks are even nicer in person than they are on this site (I know that sounds impossible, but it's true). I found the gazebo by accident the first time I went to KBF, that's when I learned about this site. I've been going back twice/year ever since. I wasn't even a bourbon drinker at that time (I drank that iodine and seaweed flavored stuff from across the water - which I still enjoy). They educated me as to the nuances of good bourbon, and made a bourbon lover out of me. I'm still learning and learn more every time I go. Again, if you or any other member ever find your way to the Ozarks, let me know and stop by for a visit and some refreshment. I don't have the best bar in the world, but I always have at least 10 or 12 open bottles and a few more in reserve, and my wife is a gourmet wild game cook, so I think you'll find something to suit your taste. (Just don't ask me where the big headed kid with the banjo lives.)

Back to the topic, my hit list is any bourbon I've never tasted, as well as finding some of those delicious "dusties" I've tasted at the gazebo.

Buffalo Bill
02-24-2009, 09:06
Hancock's Reserve for me. After all these years and I still have not tried it, largely due to price and tasting comments—*and I'm a BT fan. BB

The Boozer
02-25-2009, 22:17
Hey Boozer, I know of places with the Ezra B 12...let me know if you're looking for any.

Tony

Thanks Tony,
I believe the Red Wagon Shop carries it regularly but if they are short, I will give you a hollar. All the other stores are either out or don't carry it. Have you tried it?
Sorry it took me awhile to get back with you, been busy with work.
TJ

ACDetroit
03-05-2009, 19:47
Thanks Tony,
I believe the Red Wagon Shop carries it regularly but if they are short, I will give you a hollar. All the other stores are either out or don't carry it. Have you tried it?
Sorry it took me awhile to get back with you, been busy with work.
TJ

TJ, I've had the 15yr old but not the 12. The 15 is outstanding but I have not seen it around in a while.

Tony

Eggman
03-11-2009, 21:57
Howdy,

One day I want to try Wild Turkey Rare breed.

Eggman

BunkerBooze
03-12-2009, 17:42
here's my hit list:

Any Willett bourbons or ryes
W.L. Weller Centennial
Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 101 proof
Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve
Old Potrero Hotaling's (any years)
Pappy van Winkle 20yrs
George T Stagg

tommyboy38
05-19-2009, 09:03
Hmmm....What's on my hit list?

Off the top of my head, I reckon it might look like this...

2008 WLW
any 2000-2002 WLW
BHC VSOF
SW Van Winkle 12
Michters 10 yr SB

There are many other bottles which are expensive and would like a taste but I try not to buy any "mystery bourbon".

I's also like to open my Hannah & Hogg.

funknik
05-19-2009, 11:01
I'm still gunning for:

WLW (any year)
McKenna SB -- this one was very good, it really surprised me
Lot 'B' (need to replace a fallen soldier, but at a reasonable price)
Older WTs (specifically RB or RR101 (I can dream))

Also, I can't wait to get my hands on some more AAA 10yr -- that stuff is awesome.

ggilbertva
05-19-2009, 11:34
I looked back on my response in Jan and adjust as follows:

I've had the Repeal...not gonna bother
I've had the Miarage and it was pretty good so I'll keep that on the list
BTEC, would still like to get these just to try
Would love to find the early BHC bottles.....any of them
The only other things are older bottles not currently residing in my bunker

TonyDVC
05-24-2009, 12:20
My hit list:Eagle RareLot BBooker'sany age Pappy'sSome of these I can't find, some I can find but they are alittle pricey.TonyDVC

JMac72
05-24-2009, 18:23
Love the ORVW 10/90 and the 10/107, Weller SR, and Bookers.

I don't why, maybe its the label, but I really want to find a bottle of Johnny Drum 15 year, Peter Jake's Private Reserve, and Pure Kentucky XO (here because I read a review where it was described as being similar to the Van Winkle line).

After that and in no particular order:

Elmer T Lee
WT Rare Breed
Old Grand Dad 114
Weller 12 year
Rowan's Creek (this one I keep wavering on).

ggilbertva
05-24-2009, 21:23
Love the ORVW 10/90 and the 10/107, Weller SR, and Bookers.

I don't why, maybe its the label, but I really want to find a bottle of Johnny Drum 15 year, Peter Jake's Private Reserve, and Pure Kentucky XO (here because I read a review where it was described as being similar to the Van Winkle line).

After that and in no particular order:

Elmer T Lee
WT Rare Breed
Old Grand Dad 114
Weller 12 year
Rowan's Creek (this one I keep wavering on).

I have a Rowans Creek and it's good. This comes from KBD who doesn't distill their own stuff....yet. So, one bottle may be different from another based on who/what distillate they use for each run.

JMac72
05-24-2009, 22:25
I have a Rowans Creek and it's good. This comes from KBD who doesn't distill their own stuff....yet. So, one bottle may be different from another based on who/what distillate they use for each run.

Thanks for the info. I keep wavering because I am reading too many reviews about Rowans. Moreover a number of them keep comparing it its big brother Noah's Mill and Noah's Mill usually is the preferred one and hence the indecision.

I'm going to have to get off the fence and just buy a bottle. Hopefully I'll find one in Las Vegas or Tucson in June/July.

ggilbertva
05-25-2009, 10:27
Thanks for the info. I keep wavering because I am reading too many reviews about Rowans. Moreover a number of them keep comparing it its big brother Noah's Mill and Noah's Mill usually is the preferred one and hence the indecision.

I'm going to have to get off the fence and just buy a bottle. Hopefully I'll find one in Las Vegas or Tucson in June/July.

No harm in trying it. KBD typically has very good bourbon which is evident in most of the Willett releases. Drew does a good job selecting barrels so I would say purchasing a Rowans and liking it are in your favor.