PDA

View Full Version : Another Michigander

reggie
01-19-2009, 15:39
I've been lurking around for over a year now and have found a lot of good info here. I noticed that there were a lot of other Michigan guys on here and decided that I ought to join.

Cheers,

Reggie

Special Reserve
01-19-2009, 15:48
Reggie,

Welcome aboard! It's a good ride. I've learned a lot here.

Will

Blitz
01-19-2009, 17:49
Welcome Reggie. Why don't you tell us where you are on your bourbon journey. What have you tried, What do you like/dislike, etc.

ACDetroit
01-19-2009, 17:51
Hey Reggie, welcome from another Michigander. I see you are located in the "D"? Where at? I'm just North East of the city.

Hope you like it here, it's a great group.

Tony

Dr. François
01-19-2009, 18:14
Welcome, welcome.

reggie
01-19-2009, 19:22
Hey Reggie, welcome from another Michigander. I see you are located in the "D"? Where at? I'm just North East of the city.

Hope you like it here, it's a great group.

Tony

I just bought a house in Roseville. Before that I lived in Madison Heights, before that Royal Oak, grew up in Clinton Twp.

fishnbowljoe
01-19-2009, 19:43
Welcome Reggie, You have a lot of good company up there. I'm sure they'll take care of you. Other than that, Cheers!:toast: Joe

reggie
01-19-2009, 21:41
Welcome Reggie. Why don't you tell us where you are on your bourbon journey. What have you tried, What do you like/dislike, etc.

I've been a whiskey drinker since college. Got into bourbon a few years ago. The bar currently has, Buffalo Trace, Evan Williams Black, Rock Hill, Four Roses SB, Stagg (07?), VW Lot B, WT Rare Breed, OFBB 07, Bakers and Hancock's.

The best I've had was Pappy 15yr, I really like the EWSB (last years was a little disappointing), the Hancock's I just got for Christmas is really good.

The only bottle I ever bought that I didn't like was Elmer T Lee, I ended end drinking it with water on the rocks. I don't care for regular Jim Beam, especially when you can get Evan Williams for less cash.

I must admit I do have a guilty pleasure, awful tequila, I mean the dirt cheap painful stuff.

my bar

hjminard
01-19-2009, 21:45
Welcome, reggie!

p_elliott
01-20-2009, 07:07
Welcome aboard great bunch of people here they'll answer all your questions. Post often and have fun be yourself, let us know what you like and don't like and why.

Josh
01-21-2009, 11:22
Welcome! Glad to see another MI guy, and one so close too! There are some great folks here who love to share their wisdom and opinions on the stuff. The MI bourbon hounds are one of the more active groups of those around the U.S. Hopefully we can all get together again soon!

OscarV
01-21-2009, 12:59
Stagg (07?),

Hey Reggie.
MI is in the house!
Welcome to the fold, you have discovered the best place for bourbon knowledge.
In the last couple of years or so I have learned a lot here.

What is the proof of that Stagg?
144.8 is the 2007.
If you come across a 141.8 grab it, that's a 2008, very very good.

ACDetroit
01-21-2009, 18:54
I just bought a house in Roseville. Before that I lived in Madison Heights, before that Royal Oak, grew up in Clinton Twp.

Harrison Township, man your just south/west of me! Soon as I'm feeling better we need to hook up and have a drink!

Tony

reggie
01-21-2009, 21:48
Has anyone been to Slow's BBQ in Corktown? I guess they have 20 or so bourbons and great BBQ as well.

bvscfanatic
01-21-2009, 21:54
Is it true that "what's good for the Michigoose is good for the Michigander"?

reggie
01-21-2009, 22:14

Our geese come from Canada. They probably got lost because we live due north of Canada. What other American city can say that?

Don't worry though, we have Joe Lewis's fist protecting our southern boarder from a Canadian invasion.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/roadside-statues-151.jpg

cas
01-22-2009, 04:05
Has anyone been to Slow's BBQ in Corktown? I guess they have 20 or so bourbons and great BBQ as well.

Where is this? I'm still fairly new to the area and my local geography is not very good.
Craig

reggie
01-22-2009, 05:04
Where is this? I'm still fairly new to the area and my local geography is not very good.
Craig

I think its west of old Tiger Stadium on Michigan Ave.

They have a website, http://slowsbarbq.com/, looks like a pretty good beer and bourbon list. I've heard great things about the BBQ there.

hjminard
01-22-2009, 09:59
I think its west of old Tiger Stadium on Michigan Ave.

They have a website, http://slowsbarbq.com/, looks like a pretty good beer and bourbon list. I've heard great things about the BBQ there.

Yeah it's on Michigan Ave in Corktown. I've heard wonderful things about it, but the one time I tried to get in there was like a 1 hour wait (Tigers game day).

reggie
01-22-2009, 10:18
Yeah it's on Michigan Ave in Corktown. I've heard wonderful things about it, but the one time I tried to get in there was like a 1 hour wait (Tigers game day).

My brother and I tried to go there between Christmas and new years, same thing.

bonneamie
01-22-2009, 11:27
I have been to Slows and it is very good. That was before I was a bourbon drinker, though, so I can't comment on that part of the menu. Definately try to find a time to go there!

OscarV
01-22-2009, 12:19

No, actually it is not.
But I'll not get into specifics.
Just don't ask my wife.:grin:

reggie
01-22-2009, 17:23
Hey Reggie.
MI is in the house!
Welcome to the fold, you have discovered the best place for bourbon knowledge.
In the last couple of years or so I have learned a lot here.

What is the proof of that Stagg?
144.8 is the 2007.
If you come across a 141.8 grab it, that's a 2008, very very good.

My bad, 141.2. Fall '05?

OscarV
01-23-2009, 10:42
My bad, 141.2. Fall '05?

Hey lucky you, Fall '05 is a lot better than the '07.

Dr. François
01-24-2009, 08:16
Hey lucky you, Fall '05 is a lot better than the '07.

They're all good. Don't get vintage envy!

I'd take ANY year of Stagg over any other barrel proof bourbon, and I really, really like all of the barrel proof bourbons.

chefmel
02-02-2009, 12:59
Welcome Reggie! Lot's of great Michiganders in this forum. Speaking of which, when are we going to get together again, guys (and gal)?

Mark

mmetzger34
02-02-2009, 13:32
I live in Louisville, but am in Detroit most weeks for business (including tonight).

I stay up at the Sheraton in Novi . . .

Slow's is great BBQ . . . don't recall an extensive bourbon list, but that doesn't mean they don't have one . . . I just had a Woodford if I recall . . .

If anyone can recommend a decent liquor store in the Haggerty / Grand River / 696 meets 275 area, I am picking up a bottle of bourbon on the way to the hotel and plan to grab a pizza and watch UL take down UCONN!

reggie
02-02-2009, 14:25
I live in Louisville, but am in Detroit most weeks for business (including tonight).

I stay up at the Sheraton in Novi . . .

Slow's is great BBQ . . . don't recall an extensive bourbon list, but that doesn't mean they don't have one . . . I just had a Woodford if I recall . . .

If anyone can recommend a decent liquor store in the Haggerty / Grand River / 696 meets 275 area, I am picking up a bottle of bourbon on the way to the hotel and plan to grab a pizza and watch UL take down UCONN!

Wish I could help but that's not my side of town.

mmetzger34
02-02-2009, 15:43
I picked up a Van Winkle 12 yr Lot B on my way out of Southfield . . .

Big Game deserves a Big Bourbon!

Special Reserve
02-02-2009, 16:00
My side of town. I'd suggest The Brass Mug on Newburgh just north of 7 mi has a good selection and usually charges the state price. I see that you took matters into your own hands and go t the job done right.

If you Google liquor, Novi or liquor Livonia, or Liquor Farmington Hills you will find other stores.

Will