PDA

View Full Version : Current Michter's 10 Year Old Single Barrel Bourbon

unclebunk
01-22-2009, 09:39
Just had a few questions regarding the Michter's 10 Year Old Single Barrel Bourbon (not to be confused with the Michter's US*1 Small Batch Bourbon or their Unblended American Whiskey) that is currently on the market. The few previous threads that I discovered had more to do with Michter's 10 Year Old Rye or were tasting notes from several years ago, so I was hoping to find out if anybody has tasted any of the recent bottlings. I'm also curious as to what prices people are seeing/paying for this stuff, as I could find surprisingly little information on-line and the few internet sellers' prices that I did see ranged between $60 and $80! That's a lot of dough for bourbon whose origins appear to be cloaked in a veil of secrecy.

I happened upon a bottle at a discount liquor mart not far from me with a price tag of $48. Good deal then or still way too pricey for the quality of the juice inside the bottle? I should mention that I quite enjoyed the US*1 Small Batch Bourbon and the Unblended American Whiskey, both of which are on the sweet side and not particularly complex or "challenging" but nevertheless enjoyable with dessert after a nice meal or a book before bed. Any opinions/price info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hank

BourbonJoe
01-22-2009, 10:11
It has been a couple years since this was available in Pennsylvania. IIRC it was 49.99 a bottle then. IMO it is good whiskey but overpriced for what it is, or was.
Joe :usflag:

Buffalo Bill
01-22-2009, 10:17
I have some older bottlings here (dusty's) that I paid short money for ($30-34) which is some of the best Bourbon I've ever drank, but haven't considered any of the new stuff due to price and reputation. I forget where it's coming from, but at $84-$89 a bottle they can keep it. At that price I can buy something special... BB

unclebunk
01-22-2009, 10:31
I have some older bottlings here (dusty's) that I paid short money for ($30-34) which is some of the best Bourbon I've ever drank, but haven't considered any of the new stuff due to price and reputation. I forget where it's coming from, but at $84-$89 a bottle they can keep it. At that price I can buy something special... BB

Wow! Those $84-$89 prices are even higher than what I found on-line. I wouldn't dream of spending that much but the $48 at my local place just might be worth it, though even at that price I can get a bottle of Pappy 15, Blantons, Willet Reserve, etc.

Slob
01-22-2009, 11:05
I remember once seeing it for $50 a few years ago, but I went with the US1 rye instead, which at the time was around $24. The next time I saw it the 10yo was $73 and the US1 was $33. I occasionally buy the US1 rye to bring to parties since it seems to impress.

Squash
01-22-2009, 22:36
I just bought and tried some for $46. It would be a contender in the $25-30 range, but for $40 plus, try something else.

I also bought the rye for $31, but have not tried it yet.

Buffalo Bill
01-27-2009, 15:21
I just bought and tried some for $46. It would be a contender in the $25-30 range, but for $40 plus, try something else.

I also bought the rye for $31, but have not tried it yet.

Thanks for the input here! BB