PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from MI

GPRook
01-22-2009, 13:58
Hello all. I've been nosing around for a couple of weeks and have gained a lot of good information, especially the "gateway" thread. Thought I would say hi.

I'm in Grosse Pointe Michigan. Just moved here from Lansing 8 months ago and I'm still learning my way around, including the best bars/liquor stores. As far as bourbon goes? I've definately a newbie. My drinking habits are usually JD/Coke (stong on the JD), Seagrams/Sprite, vodka gimlets, beer (Killians, Lienkugals (sp), Sam Adams), or wine (chianti, California Cab, or pino noir). My only attempt at stronger bourbon drinks has been an attempt at a manhattan a couple of years ago, but I was unsure on the mix and it ended with bourbon and coke. I've also played a bit with brandy and thus far was not that much of a fan. Tried some Cutty Shark in college (11 years ago) and did not care for it.

So, I'm getting the itch to try bourbon again, this time I'll try with a bit of water or ice and I've also looked up how to make a proper old fashioned. My wife has a "girls night out" tonight, so I'm stopping at the liquor store on the way home. Planning on Makers Mark, Knob Creek, JB Black, or if they have it AVP 15. If anyone has suggestions, let em fly.

reggie
01-22-2009, 18:09
Evan Williams Single Barrel and Buffalo Trace are two of the first bourbons I tried and are still favorites of mine. They shouldn't be to hard to find or too expensive.

Dr. François
01-22-2009, 18:22
Welcome to the site. I still live in Lansing.

If you have a good store nearby, I'd second Buffalo Trace and I'd also suggest Elijah Craig 12 Year Old. Both are within 5 bucks of each other. Very different styles, but neither dissapoints.

Again, welcome!

fishnbowljoe
01-22-2009, 20:26
Not another one.:rolleyes: Just kidding. Welcome to the site GP. You have a whole lot of company up there in Michigan. There are a lot of Michiganders that are members. I'm sure they'll take good care of you. Hope you have some fun here. Joe

hjminard
01-22-2009, 20:38
And the Michigan crew continues to grow! Welcome, GPRook!

I'll second all of the recommendations above, and add Weller Antique (this site's "Bourbon of the Month" for January)

GPRook
01-23-2009, 07:24
Thanks for the welcome. I got some Makers Mark last night, $26.99 for a fifth. I saw Buffalo Trace, Beam Black, Knob Creek and WT101 at the store as well. I went with MM since it is said to be a bit sweeter and smoother.

I tried a bit "neat"; not sure I'm ready for that yet. I ended up making an old fashion and enjoyed it very much the touch of sugar and orange made it much smoother for me. Next time I'll have to enjoy a cigar with it as well (though I need to find a good cigar shop on the east side).

I'll have to start exploring some of the bars to try other brands a glass at a time.

Dr. François
01-23-2009, 08:52
I got some Makers Mark last night, $26.99 for a fifth. I saw Buffalo Trace, Beam Black, Knob Creek and WT101 at the store as well. I went with MM since it is said to be a bit sweeter and smoother.

I tried a bit "neat"; not sure I'm ready for that yet.

No shame in starting with MM. Keep about a shot from that bottle...once you get into more bourbons, you'll want to revisit MM to see what your "baseline" used to be. I enjoy it, but I enjoy many other "soft/sweet" bourbons more at 40% cheaper.
Plus, it is still one of the more attractive packages in American Whiskey.

Try a single ice cube next time. It's my preferred way to sip at home, though I go neat when at bars (too much ice) or when drinking with board members (too much ridicule).

OscarV
01-23-2009, 11:51
Welcome aboard GPRook.

We gotta be pushing 20 for Michigan members now.

Josh
01-23-2009, 12:06
Welcome aboard! If you like JD, might want to try George Dickel #12. It's also a TN Whiskey and a damn good one.

We seem to be getting a lot of Eastsiders lately. C'mon, you Oakland Co. lurkers, I know you're out there!

kickert
01-23-2009, 12:08
MM is great because it has nothing offensive. Just about anyone could learn to like it. As others have pointed out, many of us have found other bourbons are just as drinkable, while offering more character. After doing my first bourbon tasting of 5 or so bourbons, I was ready to go out and buy a 750 of MM. Luckily my local whiskey manager persuaded me to try something else. That propelled me into a 9 month search for affordable, easy drinking pour.

I still enjoy MM over almost every other commonly available whiskey (JB, JD, MM, etc.), but I have found even more pleasure in other pours.

Welcome aboard!!

ACDetroit
01-23-2009, 12:54
Welcome Rook, I tell every store owner I speak to...you want to make a MM fan happy? Sell him a bottle of Weller Special Reserve. They are both 90 proof and the Special Reserve I believe is $18.99 in Michigan now. Really nice stuff, as well is the Weller Antique mentioned before...but at 107 proof may have a little more bite than you're ready for at this time.

Enjoy your stay.

Tony

GPRook
01-23-2009, 13:36
The local store also had Old Grand Dad and I think it was Woodford Reserve, and Sazerac Rye; I'm not sure about Weller. He had a lot of Scotch to select from, but only a few bourbons. Any good stores in the area?

Round two tonight, I'll try it with a bit of ice. Also, if I mix an old fashioned again I think I'll only muttle the orange peel and not the slice, I could have done without the plup and orange pieces in the drink. I read a recipe that suggested a bit of orange liqour; any thoughts on that?

GPRook
01-23-2009, 19:25
Well, round two. I started tonight with a drink with my colleagues and boss and decide to get a Gray Goose Gimlet. Now, I'm home on onto a Bourbon Old Fashion. Either the gimlet loosened me up, or I mixed the drink better. It is far smoother and more flavorful tonight. I can really taste and enjoy the bourbon. I added only two shakes of bitters tonight (4 last night). That may be the difference as well.

I have a bad feeling that I just took the step on a road I may not be able to get off of :)

Dr. François
01-23-2009, 20:24
I have a bad feeling that I just took the step on a road I may not be able to get off of :)

Tell me about it!

GPRook
01-23-2009, 20:33
Jeremy, are you a prof at MSULaw (aka DCL)? My alma mater.

Dr. François
01-24-2009, 09:19
Jeremy, are you a prof at MSULaw (aka DCL)? My alma mater.

Takin' it off list. PM Sent.

GPRook
01-24-2009, 20:18
Dr., you said back a few posts:

I enjoy it, but I enjoy many other "soft/sweet" bourbons more at 40% cheaper.

Care to offer suggestions? I'm 1/3 bottle down already and need to plan for the next bottle. I'm going to hunt for the Weller.

Also, is there a list of the Michigan minimum prices? I assume that a store cannot place a bottle on sale below that price; but I've not looked into it.

Special Reserve
01-25-2009, 08:06
... is there a list of the Michigan minimum prices? I assume that a store cannot place a bottle on sale below that price; but I've not looked into it.

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/lcc_code/sr_lcc.asp

This is the link to the minimum state price for alcohol. I've seen bourbons lower than this, it's because the store didn't raise the price when it changed (presumed laziness).

Liquor stores can charge more but are not to sell liquor for less than the minimum price.

I've had mixed success asking for the minimum price, some stores will and some won't drop their price.

GP, welcome to the board, it's a great resource for bourbon knowledge.

Will

Dr. François
01-25-2009, 15:28
Care to offer suggestions?

Here's a list of my favorite 3-S bourbons (Soft/Simple/Sweet) available in MI:

Weller Special Reserve (I'm not crazy about the Antique 107)
Rebel Yell (don't let the name fool you)
Evan Williams Black Label (worth the ride for under 12 bucks)
Old Charter 10YO (sometimes hard to find)
McAfee's Benchmark (though I haven't had it recently. It's very popular in KY)

All are under 20 bucks. Old Charter is the most expensive at just under 20. Weller SR is around 18, and is an absolute steal. I really, really like it.