PDA

View Full Version : What's the point of Jim Beam Black?

Blitz
01-24-2009, 07:24
I have been meaning to pick up a bottle of JBB for while. I'm a Beam fan, starting with the white label, graduating to Knob Creek and others. I went to the local liquor superstore (Binny's), and KC is about the same price as Black label(around $22). I've seen where in some smaller stores the KC is about $30 and Black is about $21, so a clear price/product choice is available, but if there is little price difference, is there any point in buying Black over KC?

ratcheer
01-24-2009, 07:35
I have had both. Black is good, KC is better. Since you get such a great price on the KC, that is probably what you should buy. But, it wouldn't hurt to try a bottle of Black and see for yourself.

IMHO, Black has a bit sweeter, dark-fruitier profile. KC is a more traditional tasting bourbon, balls to the wall. You might even prefer Black.

Tim

OscarV
01-24-2009, 07:42
What's the point of Jim Beam Black?
Beats me.
I don't understand why some folks hate JB white but love JB black.
I don't care for either.

mozilla
01-24-2009, 07:49
Beats me.
I don't care for either.

I agree. They are also overpriced unless on weekend special.

StraightBoston
01-24-2009, 11:06
Sorry Oscar... I'm in the hate White/love (well, like) Black camp. I do agree that at $20+, it's overpriced for what it is but I'll pick it up on sale at less than that.

(I also agree that it's a no-brainer to pick KC over JBB at the same price!)

polyamnesia
01-24-2009, 17:48
i think the first bourbon i had for fall was JBB...i was pleasantly surprised by it's mellowness, but it was flavorful and enjoyable to the last drop. of course, 86 proof just whetted my appetite, so i solved that problem by getting some WT101.

funknik
01-24-2009, 18:47
The one run in I've had with JBB I thought that there was no point. If I'm drinking cheap bourbon than the White is okay...if not, there are plenty of much better things than JBB for equal or less $.

bvscfanatic
01-24-2009, 19:48
I'm still asking myself, "What's the point of Jim Beam?"

ILLfarmboy
01-24-2009, 20:17
I'm still asking myself, "What's the point of Jim Beam?"

I don't want to disparage Beam too much because I do enjoy Booker's but to answer your question. The point is to appeal to the masses. Beam isn't too hight in rye, and in general it isn't as bold and assertive as it could be. If you compare mid-shelf pours, say Beam Black to Wild Turkey 101 it is the antithesis of what WT is while still being quite decent bourbon.

bvscfanatic
01-24-2009, 21:16
Fair enough, Brad.

Actually, my own explanation would be that Beam exists in order to provide a home to my Old Grand Dad.

I won't say that Beam is bad, but I would say that it's bland and way overpriced for what it is. If it were the last thing left on earth, I would probably drink it. But since it isn't, I won't.

ratcheer
01-25-2009, 07:10
As to "what is the point of Beam?" - I can't remember the last time I had the white label. It was a long, long time ago (decades). I didn't like it, then. However, I personally think the Black is pretty good. But, with that said, I have never bought a bottle.

I have never tried Basil Hayden's and I didn't really care for Baker's. But Knob Creek and Booker's are very good. Just about as good as anything. However, KC is about $35 and Booker's about $60, here, so I rarely buy them. I surely wish I could get KC for $22!

I love OGD 114 and I like the 86 for an inexpensive bourbon. I have never had the BiB. The 114 still holds a place in my top favorites list.

Plus, they own about half of the rest of the spirits world. This includes some great whiskies of various types (Canadian, Scotch, etc). This has to count for something.

Tim

sku
01-25-2009, 07:58
Fair enough, Brad.

Actually, my own explanation would be that Beam exists in order to provide a home to my Old Grand Dad.

I won't say that Beam is bad, but I would say that it's bland and way overpriced for what it is. If it were the last thing left on earth, I would probably drink it. But since it isn't, I won't.

I agree, OGD 114 is about the only Beam drink I like. Booker's is drinkable but overpriced for what it is.

As to Ratcheer's point about Beam Global, it's true, they have some great holdings such as Laphroaig and Ardmore and do a great job with them, but I think most people are talking about the Jim Beam distillery (and not Maker's either).

polyamnesia
01-25-2009, 10:52
i agree totally with OGD being the best of anything 'beam'....but the Black is certainly good...again, overpriced, but then, i would feel like i am wasting more money spending LESS on white than i would if i spent more to get the same amount of black....!:rolleyes:

not to get too off-topic, but since we are in a beam corral (and don't want to start a new thread), here in PA, there is a limited run of liter bottles of a white label beam, but with a RED top...this isn't the Operation homefront or whatever bottling...

is this still the same old juice within? $14.99 for a liter...not bad if i was throwing a Super Bowl party for folks who liked mixers...

chefmel
02-02-2009, 12:48
I agree. They are also overpriced unless on weekend special.
You're right on mozilla! There are a lot better pours out there in the $20 range. Years ago when JBW was inexpensive, it wasn't a bad pour for the price - mixed great with coke.

Mark

chefmel
02-02-2009, 12:54
In fact, I recently was turned on to a Jim Beam distiller's series for $19.95. It's a very enjoyable pour for me and one of my favorites in the Beam line-up!

Buffalo Bill
02-17-2009, 02:26
Beats me.
I don't care for either.

I'll take black before white, but neither are favorites. Both are actually last on my list, but I love a good bottle of Knob Creek like the one (50ml miniature) I had yesterday. It's a completely different animal, top shelf... BB

marco246
02-17-2009, 10:45
What's the point of JBB? Market saturation. Beam has something for everyone in every price range. Except for wheateds. Oh wait, they bought Maker's Mark to fill that niche. . . .

camduncan
02-17-2009, 14:21
In Australia, we don't get Old Grand Dad or Knob Creek, so I'm very grateful that we get Jim Beam Black Label.

Blitz
02-17-2009, 17:16
My original question for this thread is... what is the point of Jim Beam Black when I can get Knob Creek at the same price. When I started this thread I had only shopped for bourbon at Binny's in the Chicago area, where both are about $22.00. Since then I have been to many liquor stores, big and small, and the price averages $22.00 for JBB and $30 for KC. When its priced this way, I no longer have the question. So I guess the real question is:

What's the point of Jim Beam Black at Binny's?

tommyboy38
02-17-2009, 18:26
Why does JB white cost so much? Maybe i'm wrong but wasn't it much cheaper recently?
Now i know that I'm spoiled living in Chicago and having cheap bourbon prices compared to what I saw on a trip to New Orleans this past weekend. Went searching for different/dusty bourbon near Tunica, MS and saw some high prices (compared to back home) and crappy blended bourbon that the clerk at the store advised me not to purchase.

Martian
03-19-2009, 07:10
My advice is to not make the mistake of not trying JBB because you don't like JBW or didn't like it in the past. JBB is light years better than the JBW or Beam's Choice. Fortunately, the Black is priced relatively low here in Dallas at $18 ($31 for 1.75L). KC is $24. I slightly prefer JBB over KC, and it's considerably cheaper. I realize JBB is watered down Bookers, but for some reason JBB is greater than the sum of its parts to me. It may that whoever is making the barrel selections knows what he is doing. My two cents about JBB.

squire
03-24-2009, 22:47
Hey Blitz, back in the day the Green label Beams Choice was a good dram. I'm not sure when the transition occurred, I noticed it about 20 years ago, the good Green was phased out and the Black label appeared supplanting the Green.

The Black at 8 years and 90 proof was a simple yet complex mingling with loads of dark fruit (black cherry?) in the middle notes yet distinct other flavors playing with char and vanilla in a fully mature blend. Now the proof has been lowered and there is no age statement. About the time this happened a few years ago they also raised the price. Paying more for less it seemed to me at the time. Still think so.

Knob Creek is today what Beam used to be but at $29.95 a 750 it has been vaulted by advertising into a cachet brand recognized by a label. Still good stuff but not worth almost three times the cost of J.W.Dant Bottled in Bond at the same store.

New2Whiskey
11-05-2009, 16:06
I'm considering a 'value priced' bourbon. My favorite to date was the Buffalo Trace.

How would Beam Black compare to BT? Unfortunately my 'body' was rejecting bourbon for a little while because I seemed to have overindulged on one occasion. But seems like that is fading away and I would love to get back into bourbon.

My 'consideration' list is:

Jim Beam Black
Four Roses Small Batch
Old Grand Dad 114
Pappy Van Winkle (I believe it was the $100 bottle) But I can't find my notes. I'll have to re-read my old posts.

ebo
11-05-2009, 16:36
As to "what is the point of Beam?" - I can't remember the last time I had the white label. It was a long, long time ago (decades). I didn't like it, then. However, I personally think the Black is pretty good. But, with that said, I have never bought a bottle.

I have never tried Basil Hayden's and I didn't really care for Baker's. But Knob Creek and Booker's are very good. Just about as good as anything. However, KC is about $35 and Booker's about $60, here, so I rarely buy them. I surely wish I could get KC for $22!

I love OGD 114 and I like the 86 for an inexpensive bourbon. I have never had the BiB. The 114 still holds a place in my top favorites list.

Plus, they own about half of the rest of the spirits world. This includes some great whiskies of various types (Canadian, Scotch, etc). This has to count for something.

Tim

I also like JBB. It is a nice, mellow drink that is a little sweet. The OGD BiB is one of my "all the time" bourbons... you can't beat it for the price... at least where I live. I have to mail order the 114, but it sure is good!

ErichPryde
11-05-2009, 22:53
What's the point of Jim Beam Black? It mixes awesomely with Coke and a healthy slice of lime for an awesome bourbon and coke. It is the only member of the Beam family that I particularly like neat- Knob Creek comes across as a 9-year old version of the white label to me, while black is its own beasty.

and finally, it makes an absolutely incredible BBQ sauce. pretty simple, too- brown sugar, JBB, and ketchup- stir constantly on the stove. beats JD BBQ sauce and makes an excellent glaze on spare ribs. :cool:

jburlowski
11-12-2009, 16:30
I'm considering a 'value priced' bourbon. My favorite to date was the Buffalo Trace.

How would Beam Black compare to BT? Unfortunately my 'body' was rejecting bourbon for a little while because I seemed to have overindulged on one occasion. But seems like that is fading away and I would love to get back into bourbon.

My 'consideration' list is:

Jim Beam Black
Four Roses Small Batch
Old Grand Dad 114
Pappy Van Winkle (I believe it was the $100 bottle) But I can't find my notes. I'll have to re-read my old posts.

All your choices are good ones... although I'd put JBB way at the end of the list. OGD 114 is an excellent pour and a great value to boot; particularly if you like the spiciness of rye. I personally like the FR SmB, but others here feel otherwise.

Any bourbon with Van Winkle on the label is an excellent choice --- you can't go wrong there.

fishnbowljoe
11-12-2009, 17:12
Two bourbons I have on hand for mixing with coke, or whatever, are JBB, and KC. Both work well as mixers. Joe

ErichPryde
11-12-2009, 23:37
Two bourbons I have on hand for mixing with coke, or whatever, are JBB, and KC. Both work well as mixers. Joe

I've recently discovered that Old Forester 100 proof also makes a royally awesome bourbon-and-coke if you add a touch of lime.

Did I mention that I love lime?

Sin
12-07-2009, 19:06
JBB was the first and last bourbon I ever purchased. It was horrible. Bitter, sour, musty and moldy tasting, with a hint a corn sickly-sweetness with burnt popcorn and burnt caramel flavors that made me want to puke.

A friend suggested it, and was shocked to hear me dislike it so much. I couldn't even drink it with cola. It was that bad. He, and now I, think I had a bad batch or a poorly sealed bottle.

I found this site looking for a good starter bottle of bourbon, to give it another go and erase this bad experience from my memory. Maker's Mark is what was suggested and what I read for myself that I should start with.

Maybe I should give JBB another shot. But, hey, if Knob Creek is the same price, I'd buy that instead.

Special Reserve
12-08-2009, 16:43
I'll take MM over KC any day. For me it's just a better bourbon.

Cmurfs73
01-02-2010, 09:58
The point of Jim Beam Black to some degree is partly marketing. Beam wanted to have an upscale brand because as stated befor by ratcheer "I can't remember the last time I had the white label. It was a long, long time ago (decades)". The idea was that Beam White drinkers drank it in lets say college and as the got older they switched to other brands as Beam White was not upscale enough to them. Beam decided to switch its seven year to jim beam black say about 8 years or so ago and there it was born originaly being 7yr and 90 proof and than about a year to year and a half later being switched to 8 yr and 86 proof. I personally like white as a mixer and black straight or on the rocks with a splash of water.
I hope this helps...