PDA

View Full Version : Wishing I never left Heaven Hill

capitals83
01-26-2009, 15:30
I have been exclusive to heaven hill products for years. I can't remember the last time I bought something other than EW BIB, EW 1783, or EWSB. This weekend I decided to try something else for a change. I picked up a bottle of AAA 10 star.

I was surprised at how much I didn't like it. My first impression on the taste was an overwhelming ethanol flavor (cheap vodka) with lots of alcohol burn. I did pick up some sweetness in it, with the burn it reminded me of cinnamon. Mixing with it was just as bad, no flavor came out, and it just tasted watered down.

mozilla
01-26-2009, 15:55
Hold on to that bottle. Let it sit on your bar for a few months...and then try it again. I imagine that your opinion might change by that time.

In the meantime...find yourself a few of HH's Bottled in Bond whisky. I think that they will show you more than any of the regular EW labels. Some that come to mind are JTS Brown, TW Samuals, Very Rare Old HH and Dowling Deluxe. All are incredibly inexpensive and tasty.

Oh! And I just noticed....Welcome to the board.

wadewood
01-26-2009, 16:01
The AAA 10 star is not a favorite of mine. There is a AAA 10 Year Old that is much better, but it is only available in KY (think that is right).

mozilla
01-26-2009, 16:05
I don't think anyone will argue that the 10yr is better than the 6mix.

What I am saying is that your taste will change...and if they don't...maybe one of your friends will enjoy it more than you do. So, keep it around and use it for tastings or general label collecting and education.

No need to pour it down the drain or use it for toilet cleaning. It is still better than vodka.

AA seems to have more corn in it than I would think it should...being that it is supposed to be the high rye mashbill from BT.

capitals83
01-26-2009, 16:09
Unfortunately the great state of Virginia is somewhat limited in selection. Old Heaven Hill is one I am dying to try.

ggilbertva
01-26-2009, 16:11
Hold on to that bottle. Let it sit on your bar for a few months...and then try it again. I imagine that your opinion might change by that time.

In the meantime...find yourself a few of HH's Bottled in Bond whisky. I think that they will show you more than any of the regular EW labels. Some that come to mind are JTS Brown, TW Samuals, Very Rare Old HH and Dowling Deluxe. All are incredibly inexpensive and tasty.

Oh! And I just noticed....Welcome to the board.

Jeff, I thought the VROHH was discontinued or did they just reduce the age?

ggilbertva
01-26-2009, 16:12
Unfortunately the great state of Virginia is somewhat limited in selection. Old Heaven Hill is one I am dying to try.

Where are you located in VA? You're profile doesn't specify.

mozilla
01-26-2009, 16:15
Jeff, I thought the VROHH was discontinued or did they just reduce the age?

You got me on that one. I have only found it onetime. I doubt HH changes too much...since they already have so many labels. I would say they probably have one in every even year...4, 6, 8, 10 for every label.

capitals83
01-26-2009, 16:18
Where are you located in VA? You're profile doesn't specify.

I am in Leesburg, so close enough to check out WVA, MD, and DC. But haven't gotten up the motivation to make the trip yet.

ggilbertva
01-26-2009, 16:36
I am in Leesburg, so close enough to check out WVA, MD, and DC. But haven't gotten up the motivation to make the trip yet.

I'm in Lovettsville so only about 15 mins from ya.

dumpbucket
01-29-2009, 06:20
My heart is in Lovettsville, so is the bourbon stash!

Sure missing it, but finding good scotch here in the old country

ggilbertva
01-29-2009, 14:46
Dave,

I recently added to my bourbon stash! Now when you come back next month, we'll have more to drink! You bringing more scotch to try?

dumpbucket
01-30-2009, 02:38
As of right now it is just Jess coming back next month. We are going to look at my schedule and flights to see if there is a weekend or a few days that I can come back too. And yes some good tasty scotch will be coming back in the flight :)