PDA

View Full Version : What do you call yourself?

Blitz
01-27-2009, 15:06
I am new to this and very enthusiastic. I am always talking to people about bourbon, but it’s often awkward when trying to label my interest in bourbon. For many interests this is easy. Stamp collector….furniture refinisher…..hunter…etc.. So, if anything, what do you call yourself?

Bourbon:
Connoisseur?
Enthusiast?
I don’t worry about it?

IronHead
01-27-2009, 15:29
"Bourbon Dork" is how I describe my obsession.

kickert
01-27-2009, 15:30
I usually call myself either a bourbon drinker or a bourbon lover. Some call me the past tense of the first one.

ggilbertva
01-27-2009, 15:51
"Bourbon Dork" is how I describe my obsession.

That's what my wife calls me and one of my kids gave me a flask with that engraved on it.

polyamnesia
01-27-2009, 16:20
no label here...i guess (self-reflexively!)...more like i say to folks if it comes up, 'i love whiskies, but mostly bourbon'....something like that...

bourbon 'aficianado' sounds like high falutin' snobbery. and not bad when you go up against folks who speak only single maltese....:rolleyes:

mmetzger34
01-27-2009, 16:29
My friends refer to me as a bourbon aficionado . . . however that is just b/c I am from KY and know more than them (which isn't saying much) . . . among this SB group, I am clearly a "novice"

ILLfarmboy
01-27-2009, 16:49
no label here...i guess (self-reflexively!)...more like i say to folks if it comes up, 'i love whiskies, but mostly bourbon'....something like that...

That made me smile. :cool:

I usually say whiskey enthousiast..... mostly bourbon.

OldJack
01-27-2009, 17:00
A Texas boy with a Kentucky liver.

barturtle
01-27-2009, 17:04
Usually I refer to myself as "a prick"...:grin:

I find that it's better to just go ahead and explain what it is I do as a hobby...about an hour or so into it, the person who asked the question will know I am what I say I am.:slappin:

Blitz
01-27-2009, 17:04
That's what my wife calls me and one of my kids gave me a flask with that engraved on it.

That is a straightbourbon.com instant classic!

mmetzger34
01-27-2009, 17:11
A Texas boy with a Kentucky liver.

That reminds me of my younger days when I used to say "I smoked like a chimney and drank like a Kennedy" . . .

Stones
01-27-2009, 18:20
I would call myself a Bourbon Bum with an adherent devotion for tasting as many as i can in my short lifetime... :thankyousign:

Blitz
01-28-2009, 04:34
I looked this up..

a⋅fi⋅cio⋅na⋅do

n http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/Spell_pron_key.html) . an ardent devotee; fan, enthusiast

That's pretty close for me. It doesn't imply any level of expertise. Some of you (kickert) who can cite the mashbill of obscure whiskeys: 'Bourbon drinker' doesn't do you justice.

StraightBoston
01-28-2009, 07:09
I say "collector" -- my Japanese associates call me "baabon otaku" (which doesn't translate well into English but is a much better description!)

kickert
01-28-2009, 07:15
I looked this up..

a⋅fi⋅cio⋅na⋅do

n http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/Spell_pron_key.html) . an ardent devotee; fan, enthusiast

That's pretty close for me. It doesn't imply any level of expertise. Some of you (kickert) who can cite the mashbill of obscure whiskeys: 'Bourbon drinker' doesn't do you justice.

You give me way too much credit. I don't really know much, I just use this forum and borrow knowledge from others. The people who are really impressive are those that can tell you where a bourbon was distilled based on the UPC code!!

Based on your definition, I would call myself an aficionado. Even though it does not imply expertise, it does carry with it an air of snobbery.

funknik
01-28-2009, 07:21
I usually call myself a "bourbon fan"...sometimes a "bourbonhead" -- my wife calls me a dork. :skep:

Attila
01-28-2009, 07:49
"baabon otaku"

"Bourbon Geek" is a spot on translation.

I would say that I am a 'Bourbon Drinker'. By no means an otaku, collector or dork.

LarryG
01-28-2009, 11:28
Reading this forum every day, and living in a control state with an extremely limited selection, I call myself "frustrated." :smiley_acbt:

Larry

bluesbassdad
01-28-2009, 12:58
I keep hoping Tim (ratcheer) will reply. His signature line says it all (although I question his spelling of one, key word. :grin: )

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

doubleblank
01-28-2009, 13:57
My wife occasionally describes me as a "bourbon nut" to her friends which I think is appropriate. But I think I have also heard the term "whiskey dick" on occasion......it must mean I'm sort of like a detective out trying to find those "collectibles"....doesn't it?

Randy

IronHead
01-29-2009, 13:46
My wife occasionally describes me as a "bourbon nut" to her friends which I think is appropriate. But I think I have also heard the term "whiskey dick" on occasion......it must mean I'm sort of like a detective out trying to find those "collectibles"....doesn't it?

Randy

I think it's pretty handy that on the occasions when I may have heard the above term that I wasn't in much shape for remembering it clearly.

sotnsipper
01-29-2009, 14:52
I think I am a self titled "Enthusiast". Since I have been awakened to bourbon, I seem to get butterflies when I go to a new store hoping to find something new, which has yet to happen. One day though, one day. Always go with open eyes though.

Whiskey Willie
01-30-2009, 12:27
"Whiskey drinker"...But my self-righteous daughter calls me an alcoholic. I tell her that alcoholics go to meetings...I'm just a drunk.;)

ElasticalGomez
01-30-2009, 14:57
fanatic?

obsessive?

nah, jus' kiddin' (am I?). I'd call myself naught but a humble bourbon lover.

funknik
02-10-2009, 12:52
I've been thinking about this question ever since I first saw the thread. I've always used the term...

Junkie. When I tell people I'm a music junkie, they laugh because that sounds cute, but if I told them I was a bourbon junkie, I think it would have a different connotation.

so...enthusiast, I guess. I think the difference between a fan (as I referred to myself earlier in this thread) and an enthusiast, as I see it, is this:

I don't need to know who plays drums on a certain piece of music to enjoy it, but at the point when my knowing who's playing drums increases my enjoyment of it, in that monment I am an enthusiast.

Knowing the age, distiller, proof and history of whiskey increases my enjoyment of it...therefore, I am an enthusiast.

JUNKIE! :slappin:

Blitz
02-10-2009, 13:59
Well said Funk. Aficianado has the most appropriate definition, but as Kickert point out, it has an air of snobbery.

Since I started this thread, I have used enthusiast more often than anything else.

Edit: I just graduated to 'taster'! Woohoo.

Vange
02-11-2009, 12:31
Bourbonaholic or just a flat out drunk

bvscfanatic
02-11-2009, 13:33
I don't call myself.

funknik
02-11-2009, 13:36
I don't call myself.
Nobody home, Alan? :cool:

OscarV
02-11-2009, 13:44
I don't call myself.

ditto

theDon
02-11-2009, 14:03
"Bourbon Bastardo," it's Spanish for "I'm a bastard and I like bourbon and if you have a problem with that you can go to hell."

GOCOUGS2002
02-11-2009, 14:47
I don't refer to myself as anything...my wife on the other hand calls me a Bourbon whore

ratcheer
02-11-2009, 15:33
I keep hoping Tim (ratcheer) will reply. His signature line says it all (although I question his spelling of one, key word. :grin: )

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Oh, sorry. I've looked at this thread several times and I just never really thought of anything to say, so I kept my trap shut.

I spelled it wrong, huh? I used to be a great speller, but old age has taken some of my edge. My greatest all-time spelling feat was when I met a girl from Detroit on a Carribbean cruise. She had bet that no one could spell her last name, pronounced "suh MANK uh witz". Many people were failing. When she gave me a shot at it, I guessed correctly - Szymankiewicz. What a mess!

Anyway, I will go and correct my sig.

Tim

Edward_call_me_Ed
02-11-2009, 21:58
Bourbon Virtuoso. It says so, right over my picture. A few more posts in Off Topic and I will be able to call myself a Guru! Really, I don't call myself by any label. I just tell people that I love bourbon and know a fair bit about it. And it is all due to the real Gurus on the board. Ed

bluesbassdad
02-11-2009, 22:17
Tim,

I was referring to the word "whisky", not the C-word.

And only in jest, at that.

I seem to recall that there was an interesting story about your decision to adopt your title, but it's too long ago for me to recall it.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

bourbonguyjapan
02-12-2009, 04:06
What do you call yourself?
-A bourbon drinker and sometimes a re-repatriate r of bourbons.
-My students call me Sensei and I usually don't refer to myself with some sort of pronoun.
-Other than that it depends on the company I'm with. I hate when Japanese call me by my first name and I don't know them/like them. I feel like it's a "hey boy" kind of thing.
-A.D. is what I ask others to call me.

Cheers!

A.D.

bourbonguyjapan
02-12-2009, 04:07
I say "collector" -- my Japanese associates call me "baabon otaku" (which doesn't translate well into English but is a much better description!)

Bourbon fanatic. But it lacks that whole dweeb/geek/nerd sort of feeling.

bourbonguyjapan
02-12-2009, 04:08
Maniac? Mah-nee-aku?

ratcheer
02-12-2009, 05:31
Tim,

I was referring to the word "whisky", not the C-word.

And only in jest, at that.

I seem to recall that there was an interesting story about your decision to adopt your title, but it's too long ago for me to recall it.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Oh, I barely recall it, myself. It seems like someone used the phrase disparagingly, referring to someone else. I thought the phrase would be refreshingly self-deprecating and I took it as my own.

As to the spelling of "whisky", I probably took it directly from the source where I found it. It may have been from a discussion on scotch, or it may have just been the way the other guy spelled it. It was a long time ago (as so many things are, these days).

Tim

Attila
02-12-2009, 05:54
Bourbon fanatic. But it lacks that whole dweeb/geek/nerd sort of feeling.

I have to disagree. The use of the word 'otaku' started in Akihabara, when dorks with no social skills would refer to each other in the archaic "your honourable house" instead of simply saying 'anata' ("you") as 'anata' seemed to confrontationally direct.

I doubt the etymology of Japanese slang is really going to excite anyone though.

bourbonguyjapan
02-13-2009, 03:59
Yep, otaku started in Akihabara and I forget the year (90-ish?).

The way it was presented to me was fanatic.
It was a college class at UNM in Japanese Pop Culture, or something along the Asian Studies line.
I don't think the Prof. really delved into the geek-dom of otaku.
More like fanatic.

I should say that, the way I was presented otaku in college and from what I have observed the meaning to be here is totally different.
And agreed, no one here is probably gonna remotely care, or get this gist of this.
I would go with Bourbon Mania/Mah-nee-aku.
No idea at this point.
The wife says, "Bourbon Baka."
Guess that makes me a bourbon idiot, or bourbon fool.
Fahk it!

Buffalo Bill
02-13-2009, 05:51
A common line within the household: "Hey Bourbon Breath!" BB

Edward_call_me_Ed
02-13-2009, 07:50
I hate when Japanese call me by my first name and I don't know them/like them. I feel like it's a "hey boy" kind of thing.

Really? I usually insist on being call by my first name, Edo. I will accept Edowado. I don't like being called by my wife's last name. Unless I am at the doctor's office or something hardly anyone knows my last name. Ed