PDA

View Full Version : Welcome, And Helpful Hints For New Members

fishnbowljoe
01-29-2009, 16:20
Here are some helpful hints for newbies to SB.Com.
1. Take a look at the Bourbon Recommendations, New User Guidelines, and Frequently Used Abbreviations posts at the top of the New To Straightbourbon page. I must admit, I didn't look that closely at these when I first became a member. Thankfully the members here are patient, and they "gently" pointed me in the right direction.:skep:
2. Take some time and browse some of the different posts/threads. This may help you get a better understanding of this site and some of its members.
3. Try and fill out your profile with as much information as possible. This may help members gain a better understanding of you.
4. Do a little search in the history of some of the posts/threads. There's a ton of information to be found. We have members from all walks of life, and some from within the bourbon industry itself. "It don't git no better than that." :grin:
5. Feel free to ask questions. (after looking at #'s 1, 2, & 4 :rolleyes: ) Chances are about 99.9 % that someone will have an answer. If not, we have some very resourceful members that will try there darndest to find an answer for you.
6. Lastly, And most important of all, have some fun! :woohoo: Don't take yourself too seriously, and we'll try not to take ourselves too seriously either. :smiley_acbt:

So, there it is. Take this as its meant, a helpful welcome to SB.Com. We're all here sharing a common bond. BOURBON! Welcome to SB and let the good times pour. It's all good! Joe

Blitz
01-29-2009, 18:41
Good tips Joe. I think I read 1000 posts before I realized there was a master list of abbreviations at the top of the page. :lol:

Josh
01-30-2009, 06:31
Great tips Joe! But my grandmother's cousin's ex-step-brother's great aunt just died and left the me this dusty bottle of bourbon...:grin:

p_elliott
01-30-2009, 06:41
Good tips Joe. I think I read 1000 posts before I realized there was a master list of abbreviations at the top of the page. :lol:

I still refer it often

George
01-30-2009, 11:19
Good tips. Thanks.

fishnbowljoe
06-07-2009, 11:44
1. Take a look at the Bourbon Recommendations, New User Guidelines, and Frequently Used Abbreviations posts at the top of the New To Straightbourbon page. I must admit, I didn't look that closely at these when I first became a member. Thankfully the members here are patient, and they "gently" pointed me in the right direction.:skep:
2. Take some time and browse some of the different posts/threads. This may help you get a better understanding of this site and some of its members.
3. Try and fill out your profile with as much information as possible. This may help members gain a better understanding of you.
4. Do a little search in the history of some of the posts/threads. There's a ton of information to be found. We have members from all walks of life, and some from within the bourbon industry itself. "It don't git no better than that." :grin:
5. Feel free to ask questions. (after looking at #'s 1, 2, & 4 :rolleyes: ) Chances are about 99.9 % that someone will have an answer. If not, we have some very resourceful members that will try there darndest to find an answer for you.
6. Lastly, And most important of all, have some fun! :woohoo: Don't take yourself too seriously, and we'll try not to take ourselves too seriously either. :smiley_acbt:

So, there it is. Take this as its meant, a helpful welcome to SB.Com. We're all here sharing a common bond. BOURBON! Welcome to SB and let the good times pour. It's all good! Joe

Seems we've had an influx of new members, so I thought I'd bump this back to the top. Joe

spun_cookie
06-07-2009, 16:31
So Joe, do you think you could help give me a couple ideas on what I might want to try as an inexperienced bourbon drinker that has trouble understanding all the fancy abbreviations and styles of whisky? I am looking for something that goes good with diet tab and will not give me any of that funny alcohol shutter when i drink it. I am a frequent drinker of wine coolers and would prefer something that has no resemblance of an alcoholic beverage. Thank you for any help you can provide

… :D … good list man… now if you can only get the newbies to use the search function for find the thread for newbies under the current heading for newbies along with all of the other first time visitor information that has been created… you also may create an old timers thread that reminds all the old timers that they were once newbies too so that they will not beat the new newbies over the head with all of their information that they learned here… :27:

See… I can have it both ways hahahah :skep:

fishnbowljoe
12-07-2009, 14:14

Seems like there's another large group of new members coming in lately, so we'll bump this up again. Thanks for the reminder Josh. Joe

Vosgar
12-08-2009, 19:26
I have to agree about using the search function, it's a great tool and it's amazing what information you can find. A few weeks ago I was going to Phoenix and wanted to see about liquor store recommendations. Did a quick search and found a thread from last year that gave me everything I wanted to know. Got the info I wanted immediately and didn't have to bother the group for something that had already been addressed.

fishnbowljoe
05-13-2010, 15:14

Just giving this a bump up again since it seems as if we have another large group of new members coming aboard. Cheers! Joe

flsean
05-13-2010, 15:50
Maybe we could just have this stickied at the top of the page? I feel like it is a good place to start.

fishnbowljoe
05-13-2010, 16:40
I'll see what I can do. Thanks Sean.

fishnbowljoe
07-25-2010, 15:29

Bumping back to the top again. Joe

Bourbon Boiler
07-25-2010, 17:09
Just out of my own curiosity, do we know what is driving the recent surges in new members? Is the industry as a whole experiencing growth? I thought I had read reports to the contrary recently.

Joshua
07-25-2010, 17:27
Bourbon is now the "in drink" in a lot of places. I would guess that's where the swurge of new members is coming from

Special Reserve
07-25-2010, 17:39
Empirically, vodka is the "in drink". Most bars have more vodka on them than any other drink. In most liquor stores the vodka is the easiest for the clerk to get. This tells me something. Bourbon may be growing in fashion and it certainly is the drink that brings out nationalist pride, but it has a long way to go to be a top dog in the liquor business.

Joshua
07-25-2010, 17:47
I was referring to the multiple articles I've seen in different women's magazines and such... as well as the influx of young kids wanting to drink bourbon instead of vodka. What's "trendy and cool" is not necessarily what is the selling the most.

Everyone would certainly agree that there are expensive and fashionable clothing brands, but these are far from the highest selling. I don't think it will ever be the king of the liquor industry in terms of sales volume.

Josh
07-25-2010, 17:50
It's funny. It goes in waves for some reason. There were a bunch who joined around the time I did, and a few months ago there was another big wave. I think it has to do with sunspots or the half life of Francium.:skep:

Special Reserve
07-25-2010, 18:19
Trendy, I'll buy that. When visiting my daughter in LA she suggested a "trendy whiskey bar" not far from where she lives. Never did make it there. She lives in the Los Feliz section of LA. Many trend 20 somethings there.

mrviognier
07-26-2010, 05:22
Empirically, vodka is the "in drink". Most bars have more vodka on them than any other drink. In most liquor stores the vodka is the easiest for the clerk to get. This tells me something. Bourbon may be growing in fashion and it certainly is the drink that brings out nationalist pride, but it has a long way to go to be a top dog in the liquor business.

It'll never attain that lofty position. And why? Because it has something vodka doesn't: flavor. Vodka's popularity is precisely attributable to one key point: it is neutral in taste, making it the easiest to drink, most approachable spirit. That and the huge marketing dollars that are behind it...which are possible only because of the fact that that it's sales can't be touched by/compared to other distillates.

Vodka is to spirits as McDonald's is to food. Volumetrically, McDonald's sells a helluva lot more than, say, Charlie Trotter's restaurant. While this is true, you'd never reach the conclusion that a better meal will be had at the golden arches. Bourbon is like Charlie Trotter's...a much better consumptive experience, special and in an entirely different league than vodka.

p_elliott
07-26-2010, 06:40
Just out of my own curiosity, do we know what is driving the recent surges in new members? Is the industry as a whole experiencing growth? I thought I had read reports to the contrary recently.

I don't think we are having a surge in new members we get new members on fairly regular basis. What we get surges of are new members that post introductions. I have been lax this last month in welcoming new members I will try and do better.

Virus_Of_Life
07-26-2010, 08:40
Bumping back to the top again. Joe

Hey Joe, I forgot you had posted this, and as much as I know you love bumping it how about we make it a sticky?

Parkersback
10-04-2010, 19:21
Hello friends. I'm glad for this site, it's been fun and helpful to read over the past few months. Thanks to everyone who has ever posted here.

Now I've taken the plunge to be a member, and ins o doing I'm trying to be a good newbie, thus reading through the Intro and hints.

At the top of this very helpful thread, it says, "Take a look at the Bourbon Recommendations, New User Guidelines, and Frequently Used Abbreviations posts at the top of the New To Straightbourbon page."

I found the Frequently Used Abbreviations, but I can't seem to find the other two things: New User Guidelines and Bourbon Recommendations. Are they still there?

MarkEdwards
10-05-2010, 09:22
Something I've discovered is that Google is also your friend for finding SB.com information. I've performed several searches on various bourbons with Google, only to be given lots of links to SB.com discussions.

StraightNoChaser
02-14-2011, 19:15
I totally read this thread and it was a great help! I have to admit I'm used to posting on much larger forums that cover no specific subject so it's nice to get away to a place where we can all agree on at least one thing: Bourbon is awesome