PDA

View Full Version : One bottle - what would it be?

Psilocide
02-04-2009, 16:23
Hey Guys, I'm new here, but been enjoying bourbon for a while, however I've only recently discovered that the bourbons I was limited to (Store brands - MM, KC, etc) are only the beginning. I wish I'd started drinking the good stuff back when I was in the south.

So now let me ask some of you - what are some other good brands that are available nationally (under 30$)?

If I do manage to get to KY, and can bring back only one bottle what would you suggest it be?

cigarnv
02-04-2009, 16:33
Under $30.....

Weller Antique
Weller 12
OF Signature
Rittenhouse Rye 100
OGD 114
Elmer T. Lee
Virginia Gentlemen (Fox)

spun_cookie
02-04-2009, 16:39
I think these are all nation wide

Old Weller Antique
Wild Turkey 101
Old Forester
Old Taylor
Old Fitzgerald
Old Grandad BIB
Old Rip Van Winkle 90 proof
Buffalo Trace
Eagle Rare

You do have 1-2 real good bourbon bars in Vegas as well.

Blitz
02-04-2009, 17:33
I guess some bourbon lovers find it hard to wrap their mind around the idea of "One bottle". It's too painful I guess.

My Answer: Booker's

Welcome aboard!!!

spun_cookie
02-04-2009, 17:43
I guess some bourbon lovers find it hard to wrap their mind around the idea of "One bottle". It's too painful I guess.

My Answer: Booker's

Welcome aboard!!!

:D it was a two part question :D but you are correct... I only think about one when we are talking about spares ... and that is only some times....

So now let me ask some of you - what are some other good brands that are available nationally (under 30$)?

I was unable to identify what he could bring back from KY, I leave that to the KY club.

Bookers would not be my first choice as a single bottle from KY. Firstm its about $50-65, available nationwide and not the best intro bourbon or even all that good compaired to others. It is a young barrel proof that drinks like fire. If you were going after a barrel proof, the 2008 William Larue Welle and George T Staggs would be great to get.

There are some special brands like the AAA that I would expect that get recomended.... BarTurtle is the king of Cheep KY Bourbon....

polyamnesia
02-04-2009, 19:17
Wild Turkey Rye!

oops, that's not a bourbon.

ok, Ezra Brooks Single Barrel at 99 proof.....

kickert
02-04-2009, 20:08
Rittenhouse Rye BIB

callmeox
02-04-2009, 20:12
I would grab one of the cheap Heaven Hill bonds or a VOB BIB if I could only bring back one bottle from KY.

barturtle
02-04-2009, 20:15
To answer that question, first we would have to know what you can't get in Sin City...or at least a full list of what you can.

Psilocide
02-04-2009, 21:23
Basically out here we get Makers, KC, Bookers, Basil Hayden, Bulleit, Wild Turkey, 1792, Woodford Reserve, and Beam.

Lost Pollito
02-04-2009, 21:35
While losing my money in Vegas...well Laughlin, I always drown my sorrows in Knob Creek. KC is also what I would label as my gateway to the promise land of bourbon.

fishnbowljoe
02-04-2009, 23:27
Welcome P, I like it here in Illinois for the bourbon, but love Vegas for the weather.(Amongst other things:skep: ) You might check around a little. I'm sure there's a couple of places in Vegas that have more than the bourbons you mentioned. (I've been to one:grin:)
I think my tastes in bourbon are just slightly different than most members here. I drink bourbon every way you can. Straight, on the rocks, with a splash of water, with Coke, and with 7-up,(actually Sierra Mist). Most bourbons are good one way or another. The only bourbon that I have, that is really good (IMHO) any way you try it, is Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 year old 90 proof. There are other bourbons that are favorites of mine for different reasons. Still, if I had to pick only one bottle, it would be ERSB 10/90. Joe

p_elliott
02-05-2009, 08:08
If I have to pick one bottle today under $30 it would be WT 101. second choice would be EWSB.

hjminard
02-05-2009, 10:30
One under $30? Perhaps Old Weller Antique.

One in the neighborhood of $30? Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

sotnsipper
02-06-2009, 06:25
1.)What are some other good brands that are available nationally (under 30$)?

2.)If I do manage to get to KY, and can bring back only one bottle what would you suggest it be?

1. WT101, OF, BT
2. OF Signature. If you are wanting a true rye, go with the Rittenhouse BIB.

Basically out here we get Makers, KC, Bookers, Basil Hayden, Bulleit, Wild Turkey, 1792, Woodford Reserve, and Beam.

I would go with the WT, as long as it is the 101, not the 80.

unclebunk
02-06-2009, 08:25
Man, that's a tough one. Can I have one choice for bourbon and one for rye? If so, for under $30 I'd choose...Weller 12 and Rittenhouse BIB. (The rye choice was much easier for me.) Over $30 I'd go with Pappy 15 and Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye. Before I hit the "Submit Reply" button I could change my mind on these...

tommyboy38
02-06-2009, 16:10
You also have EW in Vegas. I always grab a bottle of Evan Williams to mix w/ coke when I'm in Vegas. I hate waiting for a waitress.
if money is no object, I'll go for a WLW 19yo.

kickert
02-06-2009, 16:59
Man, that's a tough one. Can I have one choice for bourbon and one for rye? If so, for under $30 I'd choose...Weller 12 and Rittenhouse BIB. (The rye choice was much easier for me.) Over $30 I'd go with Pappy 15 and Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye. Before I hit the "Submit Reply" button I could change my mind on these...

My thoughts exactly

Psilocide
02-06-2009, 17:04
Thanks for the help everyone - I think I'm first going to take Spun's advice and hit one of the bourbon bars to see how much of the good stuff they carry. Dont hesitate if anyone else has a suggestion though - I no longer have the constitution to try everything at the bourbon bar, so I'm going to try to limit myself to 10 or so, at least per trip.

kickert
02-06-2009, 17:06
so I'm going to try to limit myself to 10 or so, at least per trip.

I am assuming this was written tongue in cheek. I find it tough to distinguish more than 4 bourbons and only rarely try more than 3. They all run together and the ole taster loses its ability rather quickly.

spun_cookie
02-06-2009, 17:52
so I'm going to try to limit myself to 10 or so, at least per trip.

I am assuming this was tounge and cheek. 10 is a good start, but as you'll see from some of Greg Gilbert's post on the gatherings we have had, 35 is quite do-able :D

kickert
02-06-2009, 18:16
I am assuming this was written tongue in cheek. I find it tough to distinguish more than 4 bourbons and only rarely try more than 3. They all run together and the ole taster loses its ability rather quickly.

I am assuming this was tounge and cheek. 10 is a good start, but as you'll see from some of Greg Gilbert's post on the gatherings we have had, 35 is quite do-able :D

Are you mocking me?

spun_cookie
02-06-2009, 18:25
indeed :D

10 is quite a few to hit at a bar at 1-2 oz per pour... 1/2 to 3/4 a bottle is a true Joe Young style night