PDA

View Full Version : "Old Bourbon?"

The Boozer
02-04-2009, 18:32
In the store the other day and saw on the bottom shelf, well maybe more like on the floor, a couple of bottles called "Old Bourbon". The bottle and label looked liked a previous Old Fitz bottle and label from yesterday. I was thinking of buying one to try but than I read the label which said "aged 36 months". Couldn't buy it. Now I am wondering about going back. Want to know what you guys think but I won't be anybody's guinea pig. Mavbe I'll send Josh to get it. :rolleyes:
TJ

barturtle
02-04-2009, 18:43
Heck, I'd buy it just because it says "Old Bourbon" and is 36 months old:slappin:....heck how much could it cost?

cowdery
02-04-2009, 18:46
Every city has street food vendors. In New Orleans, street vendors sell pies; sweet potato pie, pumpkin pie, and other flavors. One day a vendor was going through the streets shouting, "hot pies, get your hot pies here." A man bought a pie, took a bite and instantly spit it out, proclaiming "this pie is ice cold!" The vendor replied, "I know that, 'hot pie' is just the name of these pies."

callmeox
02-04-2009, 18:48
Do they throw in a ShamWOW!!! so that you can clean up after you drink it?

mozilla
02-04-2009, 18:51
In the store the other day and saw on the bottom shelf, well maybe more like on the floor, a couple of bottles called "Old Bourbon". The bottle and label looked liked a previous Old Fitz bottle and label from yesterday. I was thinking of buying one to try but than I read the label which said "aged 36 months". Couldn't buy it. Now I am wondering about going back. Want to know what you guys think but I won't be anybody's guinea pig. Mavbe I'll send Josh to get it. :rolleyes:
TJ

If I am guessing correctly...it probably says Olde Bourbon and is a Dant product. If there is a tax strip...buy a bottle. It is better than you will expect.

And don't let this group of roudys give you too much greif.:skep:

GOCOUGS2002
02-04-2009, 18:57

That commercial is like a car accident...I don't want to watch it but somehow can't pull my eyes away. It must be the German engineering...

On the Bourbon, if it is cheap buy it and try it, if it sucks mix it with coke for your friends when they come over.

The Boozer
02-04-2009, 19:01
Dear Josh
Chuck and Tim have a mission for you. See there is this pie, ...opps, I mean bourbon ....

Thanks, I should have known better than to ask you guys.

TJ
PS - Yes I do live in the same city as Josh, Royal Oak and thanks Mozilla, I might go back and check it out.

bonneamie
02-04-2009, 19:34
TJ

Would you care to share the actual location?

Lost Pollito
02-04-2009, 21:32
Dear Josh
Chuck and Tim have a mission for you. See there is this pie, ...opps, I mean bourbon ....

TJ
PS - Yes I do live in the same city as Josh, Royal Oak and thanks Mozilla, I might go back and check it out.

I think now that you're gonna have to buy it and report back out of spite. Besides, now I'm very curious and have never seen that bottle.:cool:

fishnbowljoe
02-04-2009, 23:09

That commercial is like a car accident...I don't want to watch it but somehow can't pull my eyes away. It must be the German engineering...

I used to think the same thing about the Magic Bullet, and the Six Star Cutlery set of knives. I own both, and they are both great! Give TJ a break. I can remember when I was a new member. I didn't have a clue. Go for it TJ. It never hurts to try anything. Well,..... at least once. :rolleyes: That's what this place is all about. Give it a whirl. Let us know how it goes. Good, bad, or indifferent, it's something to learn from. Besides, I bet no one's had Gran Legacy. Well, I have! :bigeyes: It's a generic bourbon (cough!) that the local QVC stores carry. I bet "Old Bourbon" is better than Gran Legacy. Any takers? It could happen.:slappin: Joe

Josh
02-06-2009, 08:32
TJ

Dear Josh

TJ

My ears have been burning for a week or so, I guess I know why now!
I really need to start looking at more of these threads!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure of the location of the stuff, but I don't think it's a stripped bottle. The same establishment has some OFBB I was planning to get, so I might as well go ahead and get some while I grab that. At the very least it will give me a chance to post some interesting tasting notes..."I got a lot of lighter fluid in the nose...":grin:

The Boozer
02-06-2009, 11:39
My ears have been burning for a week or so, I guess I know why now!
I really need to start looking at more of these threads!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure of the location of the stuff, but I don't think it's a stripped bottle. The same establishment has some OFBB I was planning to get, so I might as well go ahead and get some while I grab that. At the very least it will give me a chance to post some interesting tasting notes..."I got a lot of lighter fluid in the nose...":grin:

Josh, its on the bottom shelf at Holiday. I passed on it. Its just JW Dant - "Olde Bourbon" and looks like lighter fluid. Next to a bottle called Beam 8, another scary looking product. Given the economy maybe we should conduct a bottom shelf tasting. Of course we will need a stomach pump at the tasting. :cool:
TJ

Josh
02-06-2009, 11:46
Josh, its on the bottom shelf at Holiday. I passed on it. Its just JW Dant - "Olde Bourbon" and looks like lighter fluid. Next to a bottle called Beam 8, another scary looking product. Given the economy maybe we should conduct a bottom shelf tasting. Of course we will need a stomach pump at the tasting. :cool:
TJ

I just picked it up an hour ago (see the "what did you purchase" thread), I did have a sniff and a little taste, and it is a little rough, but not terrible. The Platte Valley Corn was very close to it in the nose, but a little sweeter and more subtle.

As for the Beam 8 Star, never been brave enough to try that. At least the Olde is a straight bourbon. The 8 Star is a blended.

Rughi
02-06-2009, 11:46
...Next to a bottle called Beam 8, another scary looking product...

If that is an older bottle of Beam and you haven't had pre-90s Beam during your bourbon enthusiast days I'd advise you get it, if it's a nominal price.

I've found the quality of Beam's lineup from top to bottom (which was only a few brands at that time, actually) was quite good in each category, and a marked difference from the light, sharp, grassy house flavor of today.

Roger

Edit- Just read Josh's rejoinder - If the "Beam 8" you mentioned is the current 8 Star, I can't recommend it. In the '70s and '80s there were Beam's Best 8 year, the Beam 8-ball (Bowling Pin) and Beam Black 8yo. I was thinking it might be one of those.

spun_cookie
02-06-2009, 12:49
OK Greg, you made me do it. I poured about an ounce or so of this juice into the leaded crystal Glencairn. There is not age statement, so I believe it is at least 4 yrs in age. It is from 1989, so there is a chance it is older….

Here are my thoughts:

Nose:
It has the nose of the Older AAs that I have had. Little earth like a freshly framed house or apartment as the lumber is beginning to dry. Not real sweet, but you get some sweet from the wood. There is some light fresh leather and oak.

Taste:
Its not bad. It is young – 4 to 6 yrs if I had to guess, but not bad. Really similar to the AA 80 proofs from the same era.

Finish:
The finish is nice. Very much like the older AAs I have had. Not a bad drinker. I can see drinking this bottle over time.

Overall:
It is growing on me. It gains some depth as it opens.

Greg, for the $12-15 for the handle, I say go pick one up. You can always take it to Reid’s as your house bottle :p

ggilbertva
02-06-2009, 13:23
Em,

Thanks for letting me twist your arm. From what I remember it was somewhat dark. Was that an 80 or 86 proof?

OK Greg, you made me do it. I poured about an ounce or so of this juice into the leaded crystal Glencairn. There is not age statement, so I believe it is at least 4 yrs in age. It is from 1989, so there is a chance it is older….

Here are my thoughts:

Nose:
It has the nose of the Older AAs that I have had. Little earth like a freshly framed house or apartment as the lumber is beginning to dry. Not real sweet, but you get some sweet from the wood. There is some light fresh leather and oak.

Taste:
Its not bad. It is young – 4 to 6 yrs if I had to guess, but not bad. Really similar to the AA 80 proofs from the same era.

Finish:
The finish is nice. Very much like the older AAs I have had. Not a bad drinker. I can see drinking this bottle over time.

Overall:
It is growing on me. It gains some depth as it opens.

Greg, for the $12-15 for the handle, I say go pick one up. You can always take it to Reid’s as your house bottle :p

theDon
02-06-2009, 13:55
I agree with Mozilla that the older versions of the Dant products are pretty good. I would stay away from the current stuff. I have sampled the tax stripped Olde Bourbon from his stash, as well as the UD Dant BIB and it is very decent and cheap. We both recently scored a handle of the older Dant BIB for around $23, as did Jason (gocougs2002). Have you opened yours yet Jason? Give us your thoughts on the juice. Great value.

Josh
02-09-2009, 10:11
Tasting Notes: Current Bottling of Dant Olde Bourbon, 80 proof

Tasting factors: brushed teeth half hour before, dusty room

Color: Amber with light quick legs.

Nose: toffee, butterscotch

Body: medium-light

Taste: Slightly sweet, butterscotch, vanilla, hint of wood

Overall: Surprisingly smooth for such a young whiskey (36 mos.). At $7.98, I've had much worse for much more.

Mixing
-w/Cherry Coke Zero: good but subtle. Could benefit from a higher proof.
-Manhatten: good. Bitters and vermouth came thru, so did whiskey.
-Old Fashioned: good.
-Sour: ill-suited. Could not taste whiskey over sours. Again, higher proof would be better.

cowdery
02-09-2009, 11:36
If this is a "Dant" product, then should we assume it is a Heaven Hill product? There is no more Dant.