PDA

View Full Version : Rittenhouse Rye BIB in KY

kickert
02-19-2009, 12:04
So I have been looking for Rittenhouse Rye BIB for about the last 2 months. I have visited or called every store in my area (BG, KY). I kept getting promises that they would order it, but it never turned up.

Today I got some troubling news. My regular store told me it was being discontinued. I panicked at first. Ritt BIB is my favorite rye and easily one of the best values in whiskey. So I called HH direct. They told me not to worry, the 80 proof and BIB are still safe, but the 23 year old got axed.

So I called the KY distributor. They said they are sold out of the Ritt BIB and the earliest they could get it would be the 24th, but in reality, it could be much later before HH actually delivers it.

I thought you all might be interested. I have feared for awhile that it could be cut or the price hiked up. Right now it looks like it is safe, but who knows about the price.

craigthom
02-19-2009, 12:10
The price has been steadily creeping up. I think I paid $17 for my last bottle.

boone
02-19-2009, 12:22
I always check the paper's on every line for what's in store for us each night. I try to keep a "timeline" on the line changes, label changes etc...etc..and know when things will start get busy for us.

Rittenhouse is scheduled today :grin: It's always a steady "regular" in small quantities (750 rnd.). We will run the 80 first then the 100.

EDIT: Oh and by the way...I see that you are from Kentucky...Add 6% sales tax to your next purchase starting April 1st :rolleyes:

Did I say Thank You Dan Kelly?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :smiley_acbt: :smiley_acbt: and guess what?....I hear he's not running for re-election?

kickert
02-19-2009, 12:41
Thanks Bettye Jo

OscarV
02-19-2009, 12:59
As stated in other post I am not a rye guy, but Ritt BIB is the best way to go, that or Wild Turkey Rye 101.
All the other ones are just over priced window dressing.

reggie
02-19-2009, 13:02
As stated in other post I am not a rye guy, but Ritt BIB is the best way to go, that or Wild Turkey Rye 101.
All the other ones are just over priced window dressing.

Do we have this in Michigan? I have never seen it.

OscarV
02-19-2009, 13:07
Do we have this in Michigan? I have never seen it.

Nope, I got mine in KY, IL has it, but Binny's and Sam's don't ship to MI.
Get a WTR101, it's great.

kickert
02-19-2009, 13:12
*** Thanks for the move, I wasn't thinking when I posted ***

Squash
02-19-2009, 13:48
I have never seen this in Indiana, and I have been looking.

One store told me that they would get it for me, but they got the 21 YO instead. I was not ready to fork over $140, especially when I was expecting $14.

DeanSheen
02-19-2009, 14:19
For Ohio folks there is apprently a few bottles in Canton.

Bit of a drive for me, but I spoke to someone from the state yesterday and thats the only store that has it.

reggie
02-19-2009, 14:31

One store told me that they would get it for me, but they got the 21 YO instead. I was not ready to fork over $140, especially when I was expecting $14.

I've seen the 21 yo in Michigan too.

sotnsipper
02-19-2009, 15:22
The price has been steadily creeping up. I think I paid $17 for my last bottle.

I paid >$20 for my first bottle several years ago, $24 for my last bottle a month ago. I may be going with WT Rye for the same price and better availability.

ThomasH
02-19-2009, 17:57
Hey DeanSheen, Whereabouts in Canton is Rittenhouse BIB available? Canton is my local turf (at least while I'm at work). I'll go and rescue whatever is there if anyone wants some!

Thomas

DeanSheen
02-19-2009, 20:36
I think it's this one.

S/SX 801 DBA OAKWOOD SQ WINE & SPIRITS J DAVIES, INC.
2658 EASTON STREET N.E. STARK JEFFREY DAVIES, PRES.
CANTON, OH 44721
330/492-1436 PERMIT NBR 1950735 03-11-05
** 10:00 7:00

ThomasH
02-19-2009, 21:18
I'll check it out tommorrow. This isn't the primary store I deal with but it does have some good stuff show up out of the blue. I recently got a Jim Beam distillers edition bottle here and it was the only place to get any Russells Reserve Rye in this area. I'll let you know what I find!

Thomas

smokinjoe
02-20-2009, 08:13
All the stores I hunt in East Tennessee, that usually carry the Rit BIB, were out of it this week.

Josh
02-20-2009, 09:28

I got a bottle at Kahn's in Indianapolis, check there. Around $15 if I recall. The RR Rye is quite good too, and more available.

reggie
02-20-2009, 11:10
Nope, I got mine in KY, IL has it, but Binny's and Sam's don't ship to MI.
Get a WTR101, it's great.

Picked up some today, thanks.

callmeox
02-20-2009, 13:20
I think it's this one.

S/SX 801 DBA OAKWOOD SQ WINE & SPIRITS J DAVIES, INC.
2658 EASTON STREET N.E. STARK JEFFREY DAVIES, PRES.
CANTON, OH 44721
330/492-1436 PERMIT NBR 1950735 03-11-05
** 10:00 7:00

I just got back from a trip to North Canton and back and, well...they're all out of Rittenhouse BIB now. :cool:

DeanSheen
02-20-2009, 14:02
Did you get a reaction like: Man that stuff has been sitting here for months. or I better order up some more of this stuff etc?

I just got back from a trip to North Canton and back and, well...they're all out of Rittenhouse BIB now. :cool:

callmeox
02-20-2009, 14:13
As I hauled it to the counter in two trips, I was greeted with "Did you get some for Christmas?" from the lady behind the register.

Wha? :skep:

She explained that they had special ordered a case for a woman who wanted to surprise her nephew at Christmas. Since the entire case of 12 wasn't purchased, the remainder was put on the shelf.

cowdery
02-21-2009, 17:07
Funny they would say the 23-year-old was being "discontinued," as I always assumed it was a one-off. I know the 23 was from the same inventory as the 21, they just left it in wood a little longer. I wonder if they had more of that, in stainless perhaps, or if they had (and still have) more in the pipeline.

I commend Heaven Hill and any other producer who goes out on a limb and tests the limits of this category, but I think they found those extra-aged Rittenhouses, especially the 23, were a bit too expensive. If they do have more of that whiskey, I wonder what they'll do with it?

There has been some talk that the next release in the Parker's Heritage Collection will be a rye.

As for the regular Rittenhouse, supplies are tight and the price will inevitably rise, but I doubt the product itself is in any jeopardy. Just the opposite, as it has been a real winner for them. The fact that stores have trouble keeping it in stock is a good thing.

JeffRenner
02-21-2009, 18:30
I've seen the 21 yo in Michigan too.

If it's been here in Michigan, it is no longer on the state list (http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/lcc_code/sr_lcc.asp).

This site is useful, especially if you are shopping at a place like my regular store (A&L Wine Castle in Ann Arbor), which claims that they sell at state minimum price, but usually have the prices marked up 10-20%. I went there last evening and all three purchases were priced over state minimum. This really ticks me off, but they have a complete selection - everything on the state list. But you have to go prepared.

Jeff

reggie
02-21-2009, 18:36
If it's been here in Michigan, it is no longer on the state list (http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/lcc_code/sr_lcc.asp).

This site is useful, especially if you are shopping at a place like my regular store (A&L Wine Castle in Ann Arbor), which claims that they sell at state minimum price, but usually have the prices marked up 10-20%. I went there last evening and all three purchases were priced over state minimum. This really ticks me off, but they have a complete selection - everything on the state list. But you have to go prepared.

Jeff

I've seen other things not on the state list too, like WTAS.

ACDetroit
02-21-2009, 20:03
I've seen other things not on the state list too, like WTAS.

OT BIB, ER 101, Old Fitz BIB etc!

Yep Reggie you're right, there are lots of things on the shelf still, not on the list.

If you want to try the Ritt 21 rye I have one open.

Tony

birdman1099
02-21-2009, 20:20
OT BIB, ER 101, Old Fitz BIB etc!

If you want to try the Ritt 21 rye I have one open.

Tony

Thats it..... Im coming over !!!!:grin:

ACDetroit
02-21-2009, 20:26
Threats! That's all I get from you Bird!! You know where I live and I'll find some blankets for ya!

Tony

Thats it..... Im coming over !!!!:grin:

birdman1099
02-21-2009, 20:31
The time is nigh !!!!!:grin:

Be prepared for the second coming of the BIRD !!!!:lol:

2highcal
02-23-2009, 22:03
Just purchased this on Sunday in Seattle. Waiting until I finish the Sazerac until I open it or should I do a comparison??? Ohh the dilemmas I am in. These are my first ryes.

DeanSheen
02-23-2009, 22:13
Been sipping on it the last two nights thanks to Callemox.

It's a hellova value for an everyday pour I'd say. I still prefer Saz Jr, VWFRR and RRRye over this with OO being below.

DeanSheen
03-09-2009, 17:23
I got inspired to try out the SB proof calculator today. I just took this down to 90 with my wife laughing at me.

Anyways, I'm now getting some green apple and toffee. I def. like it better this way although I will have to follow this up with a straight pour and test the breathing concept out. Reason being, this bottle has been sitting about 1/3 gone for a couple weeks and now I'm curious.

cowdery
03-13-2009, 17:47
Was she laughing because she thought you were a weeny for cutting the proof, or because she thought you were a nerd for using the calculator?

Or was it because she's your wife and everything you do that doesn't amuse her infuriates her, so laughing is good?

DeanSheen
03-13-2009, 18:21
I think it was pretty much B: "she thought you were a nerd for using the calculator?"

She is used to my hobby inspired eccentricities but sometimes they still amuse her.

It's better when she's amused and laughing at me than watching her eyes glaze over while being the recipient of some long winded explanation on minutia that only the obsessed care about.

Kinda like this one!

cowdery
03-18-2009, 11:51
I recently learned that current Rittenhouse Rye is based on an old Brown-Forman recipe for a straight rye they sold many years ago. I forget the name, because it was unknown to me when I heard it. On the one hand, there was no effort on either BF's part or Heaven Hill's to duplicate the original Rittenhouse, but at least this recipe has its own historical pedigree.

DeanSheen
03-18-2009, 14:12
The question is, when did the "new" bottlings start?

BourbonJoe
03-19-2009, 09:31
I recently learned that current Rittenhouse Rye is based on an old Brown-Forman recipe for a straight rye they sold many years ago. I forget the name, because it was unknown to me when I heard it.

Can you ask again? I, for one, would like to know.
Joe :usflag:

cowdery
03-19-2009, 13:26
The pattern followed that of many.

Rittenhouse Rye was, I believe, originally a Publicker brand. Rittenhouse Square and the Rittenhouse Hotel are Philadelphia institutions. The square received its name in 1825, in honor of the astronomer-clockmaker, David Rittenhouse.

In the early 1980s (I don't know exactly when), Publicker stopped distilling but continued as a non-distiller producer, contracting with Heaven Hill to make the product. After a few years of that, Publicker sold Heaven Hill the brand and exited the business. Heaven Hill made it at its Bardstown distillery, using its own rye recipe that it had made since the distillery's founding after Prohibition. That continued until that distillery was destroyed by fire in November of 1996. That's when it began to be made by Brown-Forman at its Shively distillery (DSP 354), where it continues to be made on Heaven Hill's behalf.

The rising popularity of Rittenhouse Rye has all happened since the BF-made product was introduced, but most of that may be coincidence.

funknik
03-19-2009, 13:31
I think what Joe was getting at, and what I'd like to know, is what that BF rye with the historical pedigree was called. Thanks, Chuck.

cowdery
03-19-2009, 14:01
I know. I'm working on it.

funknik
03-19-2009, 14:07
I know. I'm working on it.
That's why you're the man, Cpt. Cowdery! :grin:

As a side note, I'm pleased to learn that BF distills Rittenhouse as that would mark the first product by them that I really enjoy.

cowdery
03-19-2009, 14:47
Old Watermill Rye is the brand name. It was an Old Kentucky Distillery Co. (OKD) label that came with BF's acquistion of that distillery in 1940. OKD was a Louisville distillery, the last vestiges of which were demolished in 1960.

To give all credit where credit is due, although BF distills Rittenhouse, Heaven Hill barrels the new make and ages it.

funknik
03-19-2009, 14:52
Old Watermill Rye is the brand name. It was an Old Kentucky Distillery Co. (OKD) label that came with BF's acquistion of that distillery in 1940. OKD was a Louisville distillery, the last vestiges of which were demolished in 1960.

To give all credit where credit is do, although BF distills Rittenhouse, Heaven Hill barrels the new make and ages it.
Right On, Chuck -- thanks for the info!

cowdery
03-19-2009, 15:48
This web site (http://www.bottlebooks.com/American%20Medicinal%20Spirits%20Company/preprohibition.htm) has this to say about the Old Watermill trademark.

Word Mark OLD WATERMILL Goods and Services (EXPIRED) WHISKY. FIRST USE: 1895. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 1895 Filing Date March 5, 1896 Registration Date March 31, 1896 Owner (REGISTRANT) MELLWOOD DISTILLERY COMPANY CORPORATION KENTUCKY LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY

Mellwood was also a Louisville Distillery. There is a little more information about the history of both on pages 84-85 of Cecil.

JeffRenner
03-22-2009, 19:44
In the early 1980s (I don't know exactly when), Publicker stopped distilling but continued as a non-distiller producer, contracting with Heaven Hill to make the product.

That is at odds with a bottle I have of Rittenhouse Straight Rye Whisky [sic] BiB with "89" embossed on the bottom, presumably indicating that it was bottled in 1989. On the front label it states, "Bottled by Continental Distilling Corporation, Owensboro, KY."

On the back label is "Distilled by Medley Distilling Company DSP-KY-49 Owensboro Kentucky, Bottled by DSP-KY-24."

The UPC is 85676 70275. Tht UPC is not listed in the handy pocket guide that Dawn (luv2hunt) made up a few years ago.

Sadly, I have only about an ounce left in the bottle. A friend picked it up seven or eight years ago in WV at a store where his sister was manager. He said that she had a case, which I asked him to get next time he was there (it was great whiskey, and this was before there were many ryes available), but he never got back. I just sipped a half-capful, and all I can say is, damn!

Jeff

cowdery
03-22-2009, 21:05
You are right and, worst of all, I knew that. It was Medley, not Heaven Hill, that picked up the baton on Rittenhouse. It was Pikesville that Heaven Hill made through that period, and perhaps some others. In other words, the pattern is as I described it, I just got the player wrong.

I'm not sure exactly when Rittenhouse entered the Medley stable, but in the late 1980s Medley bought Flieschmann, then was itself bought by Glenmore, so that by 1989 both Continental and Medley were just DBAs for Glenmore. Then in 1991, what is now Diageo bought Glenmore. Subsequently, there were several big brand sell-offs and Heaven Hill acquired Rittenhouse in one of these.

The attached picture is from a Sales Pre-Planning Manual I did for Glenmore in 1990. Is that your label?

This photograph was is intended to show their preferred shelf set, their products vis a vis the competition. The manual lists Rittenhouse as their only straight rye and shows ryes in the same shelf set as blends, GNS and corn whiskey.

(The document was distributed in a 3-ring binder, hence the black hole.)

JeffRenner
03-23-2009, 06:12
The attached picture is from a Sales Pre-Planning Manual I did for Glenmore in 1990. Is that your label?

Yes, that is the label.

I have had a suspicion that this is the source for some of the very old rye that has been available these last few years. Is there any justification for this thought?

Jeff

cowdery
03-23-2009, 10:02
Yes, that was some of it although that, I believe, is all gone. The Cream of Kentucky rye was the rest of it.

boone
03-26-2009, 00:17
Heaven Hill made it at its Bardstown distillery, using its own rye recipe that it had made since the distillery's founding after Prohibition. That continued until that distillery was destroyed by fire in November of 1996. That's when it began to be made by Brown-Forman at its Shively distillery (DSP 354), where it continues to be made on Heaven Hill's behalf.

I've had serious doubts about a couple of issues in the discussion about Rittenhouse...

We completed major additions to our Bernheim Distillery so that we could produce more product :) IMO there's no way they would do all that and not produce our only straight rye...

I finally remembered to ask Craig about who produces the Rittenhouse now and did BF have a hand in it's creation...

This was his response:

We have been doing the rye Whiskey at Bernheim for the past year & BF didn't have anything to do with the creation.
Hope all is well with you.
Craig

Josh
03-26-2009, 08:41
I've had serious doubts about a couple of issues in the discussion about Rittenhouse...

We completed major additions to our Bernheim Distillery so that we could produce more product :) IMO there's no way they would do all that and not produce our only straight rye...

I finally remembered to ask Craig about who produces the Rittenhouse now and did BF have a hand in it's creation...

This was his response:

We have been doing the rye Whiskey at Bernheim for the past year & BF didn't have anything to do with the creation.
Hope all is well with you.
Craig

Craig's statement could be interpreted in a number of ways. What it makes me wonder is whether the new, Bernheim-made Ritt will be made with a different recipie than what is currently on the shelves as Rittenhouse Rye?

boone
03-26-2009, 08:52
Craig's statement could be interpreted in a number of ways. What it makes me wonder is whether the new, Bernheim-made Ritt will be made with a different recipie than what is currently on the shelves as Rittenhouse Rye?

I don't have to ask on that one :grin: I know Craig :grin: He's using the same recipe taught to him by his Daddy (Parker) and Parker's Daddy (Earl) taught him :grin: Handed down, three generations, from father to son to grandson :grin: :grin: :grin:

cowdery
03-26-2009, 11:03
Bettye Jo,

I assumed the same as you did, that when Heaven Hill had finished the expansion at Bernheim it would stop having Brown-Forman make any product. I guess this means the expansion is finished and on-line.

That means we should start to see Bernheim-made Rittenhouse in about 2013.

Although they weren't selling it as Rittenhouse until the 1990s, Heaven Hill always made rye whiskey at DSP-31 in Bardstown and of course it was a Beam family recipe. In Spring of 1993, Heaven Hill acquired about 70 brands from United Distillers/Guinness, several of which it turned around and sold to David Sherman (now Luxco). My records don't show if Rittenhouse was on that list, but I suspect it was. My records do show that United ultimately sold everything it acquired when it bought Glenmore, some in 1993 to Heaven Hill, the rest in 1995 to Barton.

So Heaven Hill made Rittenhouse at DSP-31 from 1993 until the fire in 1996. Their original production deal was with Jim Beam, for about a year, and presumably that included rye too. Thereafter, Brown-Forman was their principal supplier. They bought Bernheim in 1999 and spent some time retuning it. Gradually they took over their own bourbon production, both traditional rye recipe and also wheat for Old Fitz, which they acquired at the same time as the distillery, but the rye production and some bourbon production stayed at BF until (apparently) last year because of the limited capacity at Bernheim.

One of Craig's great regrets is that they can't make jug yeast at Bernheim and have to use dry. Grandpa Earl was Craig's primary teacher and his first lesson was yeast-making.

My point is that these recipes are constantly being tweaked, especially when the distillery changes. Bernheim is very different from the old Bardstown plant that was designed and built by Bettye Jo's great grandfather. Its fermenters, for example, are 123,800 gallons each. The plant originally had five of them. It now has nine.

Heaven Hill bought and adapted Bernheim, but they didn't design it. In fact, the design was based on a big grain whiskey distillery in Scotland and was never, in the minds of even some of the people who built it, quite right for making bourbon. Parker and Craig made a lot of changes. Parker still hates the place, in part because he doesn't like going to Louisville, but it's mostly Craig's baby now (he oversaw the expansion) and he has made peace with its flaws.

boone
03-26-2009, 12:09
:grin:
Bettye Jo,

I assumed the same as you did, that when Heaven Hill had finished the expansion at Bernheim it would stop having Brown-Forman make any product. I guess this means the expansion is finished and on-line.

That means we should start to see Bernheim-made Rittenhouse in about 2013.

Although they weren't selling it as Rittenhouse until the 1990s, Heaven Hill always made rye whiskey at DSP-31 in Bardstown and of course it was a Beam family recipe. In Spring of 1993, Heaven Hill acquired about 70 brands from United Distillers/Guinness, several of which it turned around and sold to David Sherman (now Luxco). My records don't show if Rittenhouse was on that list, but I suspect it was. My records do show that United ultimately sold everything it acquired when it bought Glenmore, some in 1993 to Heaven Hill, the rest in 1995 to Barton.

So Heaven Hill made Rittenhouse at DSP-31 from 1993 until the fire in 1996. Their original production deal was with Jim Beam, for about a year, and presumably that included rye too. Thereafter, Brown-Forman was their principal supplier. They bought Bernheim in 1999 and spent some time retuning it. Gradually they took over their own bourbon production, both traditional rye recipe and also wheat for Old Fitz, which they acquired at the same time as the distillery, but the rye production and some bourbon production stayed at BF until (apparently) last year because of the limited capacity at Bernheim.

One of Craig's great regrets is that they can't make jug yeast at Bernheim and have to use dry. Grandpa Earl was Craig's primary teacher and his first lesson was yeast-making.

My point is that these recipes are constantly being tweaked, especially when the distillery changes. Heaven Hill bought and adapted Bernheim, but they didn't design it. In fact, the design was based on a big grain whiskey distillery in Scotland and was never, in the minds of even some of the people who built it, quite right for making bourbon. Parker and Craig made a lot of changes. Parker still hates the place, in part because he doesn't like going to Louisville, but it's mostly Craig's baby now (he oversaw the expansion) and he has made peace with its flaws.

Good Job Chuck :grin: :grin:

You write this post as if I didn't know most of it's content :grin: :grin: I am inside riding this train :grin: :grin: :grin: very little gets by me on production in bottling.

I'm pretty sure you are right about the timeline on the Rittenhouse. I ran the Rittenhouse label when I was label machne operator (7 years) prior to my maintenance job of 8 + years....my job required me to check the papers to make sure the bonded Rittenhouse DSP matched what's on the paper :grin: :grin: :grin: From habit, I still do this every time I see a bond up :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :grin: (on my shift)...

I alerted management of the use of old labels on the Rittenhouse BIB (backs) getting it corrected to the right DSP :grin: :grin: :grin: This, of course, with the help from Roger who was the first to actutallly notice the error...I went to the label room and nearly all the old labels were still on the shelf...all were thrown out and replaced with the correct information.

I've talked with Craig in great detail about what he's done at Bernheim. He was real excited about this new expansion :grin: :grin: He is the first to admit that it was going to be a real challenge but he knew that he could do it:grin: :grin: Matter of factly, as his big expansion was going on he came to visit us while we were in the process of getting our new J-line into production...I gave him the full tour from my point of view :grin: :grin: :grin: That was a real pleasure:grin:

Craig made some major modifications to Bernheim after start up there...his biggest venture was having the abiltity to turn things "by hand"...Thats a long story but in short he wanted the ability to cut off and add at his discrescion to meet "his" specifications.

I think the world of Craig and I let him know it every time I see him :grin: :grin:

As for the recipe...it's still the same that was taught to him...passed from father to son....everyone tweaks stuff :grin: :grin: doesn't change the original concept....

To venture OT here just abit...On a totally different note but :grin: yet the same kind stuff....I have a old, old, old oatmeal and raisin cookie recipe that I found in a very old, old, old recipe book....The recipe was written on a very old yellow piece of paper in what looks to be feather and ink writing....:grin: :grin: :grin: No temperature for the oven...they used wood stoves back then...no temp gauges...no--how long to cook....everyting is even...1 cup, two cups, 1 tablespoon, two tablespoons...I was so taken by this recipe I bought the old book just to get that piece of paper with this recipe :grin: :grin:

I took it home, and made the first batch :grin: :grin: This recipe was awesome! Over time, I have tweaked this recipe adding a few things that I chose to "make it better" :grin: :grin: :grin:

I still call this the "the old recipe" cause I really can't call it mine ... cause the original and bulk of what I use to make them ---and it's secret ingredient--- was created by someone else. I just helped it...just a tad...

I have to make six dozen of these cookies when I take them to work :grin: :grin: I have to make enough for everyone because they get really upset when I don't have enough...that's how good these cookies are!

and...I don't give the recipe :skep: :grin: :grin:

I'll make a batch for ya during KFB :grin: :grin:

Sadly the author of this recipe didn't write her name :(

cowdery
03-26-2009, 12:17
I certainly did not mean to suggest you don't know this stuff. You know how I get when I start to tell a story. :) :) :)

Mostly, the first paragraph was directed to you. The rest was just me unspooling what I know about the subject.

The funny thing about the Kentucky distillers is that everyone always talks about how friendly they all are with each other, and they genuinely are, but I talk to all of them and they will all sort of whisper in my ear things they want me to know about the other guys. In some cases, they have heard things and hope I can find out the truth. In other cases they're just making mischief, stirring the pot a little. Obviously, the stuff I reported about the rye being made for HH at BF came from highly placed sources at BF and is consistent with everything Craig has told me.

I'm always on board for a good cookie. :)

kickert
03-26-2009, 16:15
I just did a side by side with my bottle of Ritt and with a sample from Chris. The difference is obvious, but not as pronounced as I was expecting. I get more gingerbread out of mine and more of a chemical, soapy taste out of his. If I had his bottle, I would certainly thing something was amiss, but I would probably still be able tell it was Ritt.

mozilla
03-26-2009, 18:22

If two distillers make the same whisky...it will never taste the same. Even if they do everything the same.

Gov
04-04-2009, 22:56
This stuff is incredibly excellent!! My favorite cheap rye!

JamesW
09-23-2009, 19:22
This stuff is incredibly excellent!! My favorite cheap rye!

Just got my first bottle and I completely agree. It beats almost any whiskey in this price range. $18 and I love it!

unclebunk
09-24-2009, 15:04
Just got my first bottle and I completely agree. It beats almost any whiskey in this price range. $18 and I love it!

Isn't it great? I'd put it up against any whiskey under $20 and I've found that many whiskies costing much more don't hold a candle to Rittenhouse BIB. You wouldn't believe the number of people I've turned on to Rittenhouse Rye, and to a person they never believe me when I tell them the actual price!

JamesW
09-24-2009, 20:19
Isn't it great? I'd put it up against any whiskey under $20 and I've found that many whiskies costing much more don't hold a candle to Rittenhouse BIB. You wouldn't believe the number of people I've turned on to Rittenhouse Rye, and to a person they never believe me when I tell them the actual price!

I'm blown away truly! I was not expecting this when I bought it. It is the finest whiskey in that range. I'm glad I finally found it, I need to stock up!

tommyboy38
09-24-2009, 21:06
I'm a fan too and was planning on grabbing a bottle but my lcal place was out of it. crap!!

JamesW
09-25-2009, 11:56
Just picked up 2 more for the bunker to be safe. I can't believe that in 2 days the bottles went up a buck! They still have 4 on the shelf, I feel like I should grab them just in case people start realizing its real value. :grin:

JamesW
10-28-2009, 19:41
Just wanted to mention how good this is again. Sitting here drinking a nice pour and can't believe all this flavor in such a young and inexpensive whiskey.

btw- anyone know if they add color or anything to this. I assume the rules of bourbonium don't apply and they could do it. Are there similar rules governing rye etc... This has a lot of color for a 4 year old.

keng
12-09-2009, 08:05
I pondered the the redish hue myself while drinking this and was amazed at the depth of the color in this. I didn't even think that they would have added color; thought that would be left to scotchs.:lol: I'll try to remember today and give them a call, maybe they'll have a good response.

cowdery
12-09-2009, 11:31
The only difference between the rules regarding straight rye whiskey and the rules regarding straight bourbon whiskey is the mash bill. Every other rule is exactly the same. American straight rye whiskey gets all of its color from the wood. Coloring cannot be added.

JamesW
12-09-2009, 13:16
The only difference between the rules regarding straight rye whiskey and the rules regarding straight bourbon whiskey is the mash bill. Every other rule is exactly the same. American straight rye whiskey gets all of its color from the wood. Coloring cannot be added.

Thanks for clarifying Chuck. That means this rye is really picking up a lot of color in just a few years time. I can't wait to see what a 23 yr old would look like.

MikeK
12-10-2009, 10:16
Rittenhouse Rye BIB has been readily availble up here in MA for the last few years, but has totally dried up over the last 6 mos. The distributor told me (for whatever THAT's worth) that all the allocations up this way got paired back in a major way and he claimed it was due to HH sending a lot of this product overseas. Any confirmation on that?

On another topic, I've found the product to be reasonably consistant, and very good, over the past 5 years, but the bottles I've bought this year (from KY and up here) were totally different, there was a LOT of citrus to it, much like if one had made a Rock and Rye cocktail. It was amusing at first but after the first glass deemed to be uncool. Anyone else seeing a different profile this year?

funknik
12-10-2009, 11:54
On another topic, I've found the product to be reasonably consistant, and very good, over the past 5 years, but the bottles I've bought this year (from KY and up here) were totally different, there was a LOT of citrus to it, much like if one had made a Rock and Rye cocktail. It was amusing at first but after the first glass deemed to be uncool. Anyone else seeing a different profile this year?
Mike, we may have discussed this before, but I think you, Kevin & I all bought bottles of Ritt BIB at Julio's the day of the Whiskey a-go-go. I believe also that we've all commented on the strange taste -- I thought it was like pine, you say citrus, but I think we mean the same thing -- I hope this was an anomaly . . . I know at least Joshua also mentioned an off taste . . . I did manage finish both of my bottles, but mostly just plowed through them in order to dispose of them. I hope that the next time I buy some it will be better.

sailor22
12-14-2009, 07:49
I have been reading with amazement all the posts about how good and what a bargain the Rit BiB is. That hasn't been my experience at all.
This year I purchased one on line and received on as a gift that was also an on line purchase. One from California and one from a mid west location and both are Pine Sol and Turpentine. Almost undrinkable. Everyone who has tasted them has the same reaction .... Bleaccchh! No one ever wants a second sip. Honestly, I haven't been able to give it away.

nor02lei
12-17-2009, 03:08
I did have a side by side with WTR and Rittenhouse BIB yesterday. Very big difference and the Turkey were lighter in every sense and very pale in collar. Both were quit spicy but RBIB had a nice taste of hard rye bread as well. Must say I liked the Bib much better and it did taste a lot older as well.

Leif

edo
12-19-2009, 18:16
I brought a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB and a Russell's Reserve rye to a BBQ at a friend's house when I was in Illinois (purchased there too) in August. I guess about 6-8 people ended up sampling both. Both got big thumbs up from everybody that tried them. I agree with Leif's description of the Rit. I wouldn't say I liked it better than the WTRR, but it did seem hardier.

ethangsmith
01-10-2010, 17:50
I just bought a bottle of the BIB down in Maryland for $16.99. They have 2 or 3 left. It is the ONLY place I can find it. The PA State Stores do not even carry it and can not order it! It is some FINE rye for the price. Now knowing that it is truly hard to find (and not just me going to the wrong places) and the flavor may change, I may run the 2 hours back down there and snag the rest of them!

DanG
10-27-2010, 05:15
Sorry to resurrect an old thread...

I just bought some Rittenhouse online here in Germany last week and I opened 1 of the two bottles that same night. Here's the one I got:
http://www.whisky24.de/tws/product_info.php?info=p14315_Rittenhouse-Rye.html

At 19.90, that's about $27-28... not cheap, but American whiskeys aren't cheap here. Although I can get Four Roses YL for 13.50 in the supermarket.

I found it really tasty. A German friend of mine came over, one who is very big into waters of life as well, and it was his first rye as well. We both found it really kind of interestingly fruity despite being drier than the bourbons we had that night... Elijah Craig 12 and Blanton's Special Reserve (the export-only green label). I liked it a lot...

A question though -- the BIBs have it written right on the label, right? So what I got isn't the BIB, just "regular" Rittenhouse Rye? I like it all the same, just wanted to know.

wadewood
10-27-2010, 06:01
A question though -- the BIBs have it written right on the label, right? So what I got isn't the BIB, just "regular" Rittenhouse Rye? I like it all the same, just wanted to know.

Just checked and the label in the US do say Bottled in Bond. So you probably have the regular Rittenhouse. Is it 100 proof?

DanG
10-27-2010, 06:21
Just checked and the label in the US do say Bottled in Bond. So you probably have the regular Rittenhouse. Is it 100 proof?
No, it's the 80-proof variety...

unclebunk
10-27-2010, 07:17
No, it's the 80-proof variety...

Very good just the same but seek out the BIB if you can, as it has a fuller taste and texture that's hard to beat for the price.

DanG
10-27-2010, 07:55
Well thanks for the advice, guys! Problem is, it was hard enough to find the regular Rittenhouse. I found a site that sells the 125-proof one for about 30, I think. That's about $42... I have the money, but it just seems stupid to waste that much on it when I'll be back in the States for Thanksgiving! I hope I can find some of the BIB on Boston's North Shore...

cowdery
10-27-2010, 11:09
125 would probably be barrel proof, which isn't sold in the U.S.

The store you linked to has the BIB for 25,90.

DanG
10-27-2010, 13:27
Well thanks Chuck... I wonder if it's worth placing another order? My birthday is in 3 hours so I guess it won't be here in time for then, and I do already have a lot of whiskey, let alone booze in general. I guess it depends... would it be worth getting some of that Hirsch or Platte Valley corn whiskey too? If it were, maybe I'd put in another order...

But I guess the point is, I should've got a bottle of the BIB instead of the Blanton Special Reserve! The SR is too bland and watered-down. I guess there's a reason they don't sell it back home...

cowdery
10-27-2010, 16:24
Well thanks Chuck... I wonder if it's worth placing another order? My birthday is in 3 hours so I guess it won't be here in time for then, and I do already have a lot of whiskey, let alone booze in general. I guess it depends... would it be worth getting some of that Hirsch or Platte Valley corn whiskey too? If it were, maybe I'd put in another order...

But I guess the point is, I should've got a bottle of the BIB instead of the Blanton Special Reserve! The SR is too bland and watered-down. I guess there's a reason they don't sell it back home...

If you want a good bottle of corn whiskey get the Mellow Corn.

SMOWK
10-27-2010, 16:39
Well thanks for the advice, guys! Problem is, it was hard enough to find the regular Rittenhouse. I found a site that sells the 125-proof one for about 30, I think. That's about $42... I have the money, but it just seems stupid to waste that much on it when I'll be back in the States for Thanksgiving! I hope I can find some of the BIB on Boston's North Shore...

125 would probably be barrel proof, which isn't sold in the U.S.

The store you linked to has the BIB for 25,90.

I would love to try the barrel proof version of Rittenhouse. I've only ever tried the BIB.

I see the 21 & 23 yr versions all over the place, and they don't seem to be selling. The same stores seem to have had the same bottle on the shelf for years now. I just can't bring myself to spend around $140 for a bottle.

DanG
10-27-2010, 16:52
Thanks again, Chuck! Once I get to 80 euros, it's free shipping... :-) I'll have to figure out what to get with the other 40 euros...

CorvallisCracker
10-27-2010, 16:56
I see the 21 & 23 yr versions all over the place, and they don't seem to be selling. The same stores seem to have had the same bottle on the shelf for years now. I just can't bring myself to spend around $140 for a bottle.

I know of a very, very dusty bottle of BMH 21yo rye, also for $140.

ethangsmith
12-05-2010, 12:56
When does the Bernheim-produced Rittenhouse BIB hit the market? I want to compare it to the Brown-Forman bottles that are currently out.

cowdery
12-05-2010, 17:09
When does the Bernheim-produced Rittenhouse BIB hit the market? I want to compare it to the Brown-Forman bottles that are currently out.

Earlier in this thread I estimated that we will see Bernheim-produced Rittenhouse in about 2013.

ethangsmith
12-05-2010, 17:35
I remember seeing it somewhere but I was thinking I had heard elsewhere it was 2011 but I wasn't sure. I trust your facts over others since you're in the know on these matters! I wonder if there will be much of a flavor change.

humchan2k
12-08-2010, 17:07
Just got me a full case of Rittenhouse 100 BiB! WOOT WOOT!

SMOWK
12-08-2010, 17:25

Nice grab! Hopefully it lasts more than a few weeks. I go through a few dozen bottles a year.

humchan2k
12-15-2010, 12:57
It is going to have to last....1 year is highly unlikely...it just sucks that it's so hard to get.

imbibehour
12-15-2010, 13:54
Hopefuly you've had some luck since the beginning of this thread...

I recently was down at Maryland's gov store, and it seemed like they were having a fire sale.

Everything was slashed the place was a madhouse.

They actually had bottles of this there for $15 clams!!!

Never mind there was a guy filling up his cart with a ton of booze and stealing everything in site.

White Dog
12-15-2010, 21:55
Wisconsin retailers were just offered a "pre-sell" on the BiB, and we should see it soon after over a year of drought. I've gotta believe it will be Bernheim, but we'll soon see. :cool: :cool:

cowdery
12-16-2010, 19:29
It will be BF until about 2013.

spy247
02-03-2011, 01:09

Well I just scraped up 6 bottles down here in OZ. Its not a case, but I sure am happy.

Pirate762
05-24-2011, 19:51
I have been looking for some for a while in SC. Finally found some and managed to get three bottles from a small store here.

Tried it that evening and foun dit to be really good. Nice aromatic nose and good spicy taste. Glad I found it and brought it home.

cbus
11-01-2011, 19:30
Anyone know where I could find this or Sazerac Rye in the Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati area?

cowdery
11-02-2011, 10:58
Stay on the Kentucky side. I don't know specifically that Cork 'n Bottle and Party Source have them, but those are the historic choices. You can also call or email them in advance and they'll probably let you know what they have in stock.

Now's the time.

jburlowski
11-02-2011, 16:35
I know where you can find both (I think) in No KY. PM me.

Billy Bourbon
01-16-2012, 14:32
Can anybody quote a "fair" price on what Rittenhouse Rye BIB/750 ml ought to run in the NW Kentucky/SW Indiana market?

I just got off the phone with a local liquor store and she said she would not know the price until this Thursday when it comes in and would be calling me. I talked to her about ordering some if she could get it last week. She also secured a bottle of Old Overholt for me to get as well.

I'm thinking $20 is on the high end for this market but not sure. I really want to pick them up just don't want to overpay.

Ejmharris
01-16-2012, 15:11
I was say a fair price is anything between 17-25. 25 is the highest I have ever seen it. I get one about a month ago for 15.95 in SE Indiana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cowdery
01-16-2012, 15:43
Old Overholt had to be special ordered? That's unusual.

I would expect it to be around $20. People who are seeing it for less are probably seeing old stock. If this is new stock bought at the current wholesale price, I'd guess $20 and say that anything less than $20 is a deal.

Billy Bourbon
01-16-2012, 15:48
[QUOTE=cowdery;270777]Old Overholt had to be special ordered? That's unusual.

I would expect it to be around $20. People who are seeing it for less are probably seeing old stock. If this is new stock bought at the current wholesale price, I'd guess $20 and say that anything less than $20 is a deal.[/Q

She did not have any on the shelves??? So I asked her to get me some along the Rittenhouse Rye BIB. I suppose this is a special order??? I don't think this store ever even carries Rye, except for some very small bottles of Jim Beam rye I thin it was.

Thanks guys. I know better on the price now and appreciate you. I am pretty sure this will be new stock from the warehouse to the best of my knowledge.

biskuit
01-16-2012, 20:50
Not KY, but grabbed three bottles in Atlanta today for $18 each. Very happy. This is my standby cocktail rye. It is moving quickly.

yountvillewjs
04-12-2012, 20:37
Not KY, but grabbed three bottles in Atlanta today for $18 each. Very happy. This is my standby cocktail rye. It is moving quickly.

This is a great thread.

I've got 8 bottles in the wings, but I won't call them in the 'bunker' because they are the workhorse in my house. I'm thinking I'm going to pick up a case b/c I'm afraid of the impending change.

smokinjoe
04-12-2012, 20:46
This is a great thread.

I've got 8 bottles in the wings, but I won't call them in the 'bunker' because they are the workhorse in my house. I'm thinking I'm going to pick up a case b/c I'm afraid of the impending change.

Yeah, but if the "change" makes it actually taste like a rye whiskey, and not just the bourbon-like thing it's been, you'll come out ahead by waiting. :D

Personally, I'm looking forward to the new iteration, in hopes that it is more rye-like.

yountvillewjs
04-13-2012, 07:20
Yeah, but if the "change" makes it actually taste like a rye whiskey, and not just the bourbon-like thing it's been, you'll come out ahead by waiting. :D

Personally, I'm looking forward to the new iteration, in hopes that it is more rye-like.

You certainly have a point -- but I'm looking to minimize downside risk here. If the new one is 'better' -- I have a somewhat accessible product for the forseeable future and I like the current iteration plenty to not feel like I'm stuck with it. If it isn't to my liking, at least I have a reasonable stock of product that I do like. And for $20/btl - a gamble I can actually afford!

White Dog
04-13-2012, 19:07

I certainly second that! Hope DSP-1 Ritt tastes more like a straight rye than the current example. Still and all, I've been bunkering the current for future comparisons.