PDA

View Full Version : PVW 15 vs. Lot "B"

booniesville
02-24-2009, 08:32
I would like to try another bottle from Van Winkle (I have the 20yr) but am torn, I want them all. I was looking at the PVW 15 vs. Lot "B". Any advise from the experts? If you could only get one, which would it be?

p_elliott
02-24-2009, 08:50
That's a good question but I've never had a a VW and it's not going to happen in the near future. Tell us about yourself what you've been drinking, what you've tried , what you like, don't like, where your from, ask questions , give us your opinions, how you got started with bourbon.That's what this threads all about getting to know one another your going to meet lots of great folks hear and make new friends get off on rousing start.

Squash
02-24-2009, 09:00
I definitely prefer the 15 to the Lot B, but I think you'll find strong support for both on this forum.

booniesville
02-24-2009, 09:10
I real got in to bourbon about two years ago when a couple of us here in roural maryland started to play cards on saturday night. Since then we seem to play less card but drink more bourbon. My favorite currently is the Weller 107 and the 2008 stagg. I guess that makes me a wheat fan. People seem to leave their bottles at my house, which is nice, so I have tried quite a few of the BT bourbons. RHF and Blantons are outstanding and have that nice rye flavor. The 20yr Van Winkle has a very strong wood finish which I do not care for. I am curious about the VW's other offerings but have never picked up another bottle. I think my taiste has progressed enough to revisit PVW. Sorry for the abrupt earlier post.

p_elliott
02-24-2009, 09:44
I real got in to bourbon about two years ago when a couple of us here in roural maryland started to play cards on saturday night. Since then we seem to play less card but drink more bourbon. My favorite currently is the Weller 107 and the 2008 stagg. I guess that makes me a wheat fan. People seem to leave their bottles at my house, which is nice, so I have tried quite a few of the BT bourbons. RHF and Blantons are outstanding and have that nice rye flavor. The 20yr Van Winkle has a very strong wood finish which I do not care for. I am curious about the VW's other offerings but have never picked up another bottle. I think my taiste has progressed enough to revisit PVW. Sorry for the abrupt earlier post.
Nice post chat is on Thursdays and Sundays nights try and stop in you'll
have some fun some of us are on here Fridays and and Saturday nights as well.

MissingKY
02-24-2009, 12:24
I don't know if I qualify as an "expert," but I've had a couple of bottles of both the Lot B and the Pappy 15. I prefer the Pappy 15. It's got such a rich, chewy texture, and a great nose. The extra proof and age versus the Lot B make it the winner (and one of my favorite whiskeys). Lot B is a tremendous bourbon, too, so you can't go wrong with either one. If price isn't a big deal, bite on the Pappy 15.

One thing I've noticed, though, is that the price of the PVW 15 varies wildly from store to store. When I see it, it's marked anywhere from like $48 to $75. Since Lot B has crept north of $40, that means the prices can be pretty close. I'd always opt for the Pappy if it's just a few dollars more, but if it's 30 bucks more, though? I'd probably take the Lot B and be perfectly happy with it.

ThomasH
02-24-2009, 12:37
I would get a bottle of each. I personally like the 15 better but both are very good!

Thomas

OscarV
02-24-2009, 13:00
I would go with the Lot B.
Especially if it is the Autumn '08 release, that is one of my all time favorites.

booniesville
02-24-2009, 13:38
From what I understand, the new release is coming to Maryland next month. Does anyone know if this is the same bourbon from the fall release or is the spring release different?

gblick
02-24-2009, 14:08
I prefer the Pappy 15 over the Lot B, by a longshot.

bluesbassdad
02-24-2009, 14:48
I would like to try another bottle from Van Winkle (I have the 20yr) but am torn, I want them all. I was looking at the PVW 15 vs. Lot "B". Any advise from the experts? If you could only get one, which would it be?

Never an expert, now barely conversant with the topic. (For medical reasons I limit myself to literally a sip once or twice a month.)

I never did a side-by-side with PVW 15 and Lot "B". I know I liked both -- a lot.

Since you mention liking Weller and finding PVW 20 too woody, I'm going to throw in an off-the-wall suggestion. If you find the Old Rip Van Winkle 10 y/o/ 107 proof, try it, instead. It's not as expensive, and you find it very much to your liking.

You should probably try all three eventually, so you can't really go wrong, IMO, no matter which you try first.

See here (http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs/vw/website3.nsf/wProducts?readForm&t=Products)for label information.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Klepackage
02-24-2009, 16:53
Given the choice, I choose the PVW 15 over the Lot B. However as many before me have said, neither will disappoint.

My experience has been that the Lot B is much, much easier to find than the PVW 15. It's also a bit cheaper.

Special Reserve
02-24-2009, 17:44
As Oscar said above, the VWSR Lot B from last fall is an exceptional pour. If you look on the lower right hand side of the label there is a 6 or 8 digit number. If it is an 8 digit number xx.xxxx.01 that is the one. If there is a 6 digit number xx.xxxx it is a previous bottling, but it is also very good.

The PVW 15 is a little more powerful drink, since you mentioned OWA and GTS you may like the higher octane. I go either way depending upon what I want to drink.

Either way you're a winner.

Kendall
02-24-2009, 18:43
You have to get all the Van Winkle line. I am a huge fan of all. The Old Rip 10 year 107 proof, is as good as it gets for the money,$32.00, Lot B is great but is getting close to $50.00 a bottle.
Buy them all and enjoy, life is too short to drink cheap bourbon.

booniesville
02-24-2009, 19:49
You have to get all the Van Winkle line. I am a huge fan of all. The Old Rip 10 year 107 proof, is as good as it gets for the money,$32.00, Lot B is great but is getting close to $50.00 a bottle.
Buy them all and enjoy, life is too short to drink cheap bourbon.

That is classic. Life is too short to drink cheap bourbon! I second that. Just had a glass of Black Maple Hills after dinner which is also a nice bourbon.

spun_cookie
02-24-2009, 20:07
That is classic. Life is too short to drink cheap bourbon! I second that. Just had a glass of Black Maple Hills after dinner which is also a nice bourbon.

Then you will love the price of the Lot B I saw tonight in DC by my hotel. $79.99... and they only had one left....

I will stick wiith my cheap Old Fitz, Cabin Still and Old Crow...

onmytrack
02-24-2009, 22:09
Boonie - Klepack has nailed it. PVW15 at 107 is going to give you that punch you like over Lot B at 90.4. That said, good luck finding some PVW15 under $70 right now. Wait for the next PVW15 release and enjoy some Lot B now.

Given the choice, I choose the PVW 15 over the Lot B. However as many before me have said, neither will disappoint.

My experience has been that the Lot B is much, much easier to find than the PVW 15. It's also a bit cheaper.

Jim

Special Reserve
02-25-2009, 04:17

Maybe it should be life is too short to drink bad bourbon. I've had inexpensive bourbon that was/is very good.

booniesville
02-25-2009, 05:11
Maybe it should be life is too short to drink bad bourbon. I've had inexpensive bourbon that was/is very good.
Your right bad bourbon is bad bourbon, $5 or $100. One of my favorites is Weller 107. I think it is better then a lot of the high end stuff out there. The last time I saw Lot B it was around fifty. I guess the bourbon craze every one talks about is pushing the price up. I haven't looked recently. Thought I would figure out what I wanted and then hunt it down. I live about one and a half hours west of DC, so hopefully prices are a little closer to normal out here. Thanks for all the advice. I am going to try and track down either Lot B or 15(at a decent price). It sounds like I can't go wrong with either.

cowdery
02-26-2009, 21:58
I don't have Pappy 15 often enough to make a comparison, but I sure do love Lot B.

unclebunk
02-27-2009, 08:49
As others have said, both Pappy 15 and the Lot B are excellent pours and should definitely be sought out. However, when sampled back to back I greatly preferred the Pappy 15. It is fuller in texture and flavor without being overly woody for a 15 year old product. It also seems to be more balanced overall, as the otherwise excellent Lot B seemed just a tad "thin" by comparison. Don't get me wrong, if somebody bought me a bottle of Lot B tonight (Is my wife reading this? hint-hint) I'd be over the moon. But when faced with the choice of spending a mere $5 more, I would grab the Pappy 15 every time. It is now one of my top three bourbons! :bowdown:

booniesville
02-27-2009, 11:52
I revisited the PVW 20yr last night. It has been almost a year since I had it last. I remembered it as being very think with an over powering oak finish. Last night was different. It still had that thick almost chewy consitancy but the flavors seem to be more balanced. The grain flavor was more present and accented by the charred oad instead of being over powered. The alcohol was there at the front but almost had to push through to be tasted. It also had a coating effect which I have not found with other bourbons to this extent. A couple drops of water smoothed the flavors fourther. I found there to be little distiction of components but more of a complete flavor which was not broken by the water. The finish stuck with me and accented my meal of left overs and junk food (wife is out of town:grin: ) very well. I have a line on the 15yr at a fair price, so here is hoping it comes through.