PDA

View Full Version : Time to Sample (Greetings from Arkansas)

MountainTall
03-01-2009, 08:35
Gentlemen & Gentlewomen:

As a newly registered member, I read this forum with great delight, taking in all the thoughts, suggestions, comments, etc., which all help me to learn more about bourbon. Thank you for the knowledge.

A friend turned me (back) onto bourbon a couple years ago, and I now regularly keep Wooford Reserve on-hand, with Blanton's, too. For old time's sake, I added a bottle of Old Charter 10yo recently. (The bar is still rather anemic in stock, but growing ... )

Later this week, during a week-long Arkansas camping excursion with several buddies, I'm looking forward to sampling a variety of bourbons, starting with Bulleit, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Knob Creek, Jim Beam Rye, and Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo. Hoping to enjoy each in various recipes over the course of the trip.

Wishing you a pleasant March. Good day.

bluesbassdad
03-01-2009, 13:38
Gentlemen & Gentlewomen:

As a newly registered member, I read this forum with great delight, taking in all the thoughts, suggestions, comments, etc., which all help me to learn more about bourbon. Thank you for the knowledge.

A friend turned me (back) onto bourbon a couple years ago, and I now regularly keep Wooford Reserve on-hand, with Blanton's, too. For old time's sake, I added a bottle of Old Charter 10yo recently. (The bar is still rather anemic in stock, but growing ... )

Later this week, during a week-long Arkansas camping excursion with several buddies, I'm looking forward to sampling a variety of bourbons, starting with Bulleit, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Knob Creek, Jim Beam Rye, and Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo. Hoping to enjoy each in various recipes over the course of the trip.

Wishing you a pleasant March. Good day.

Welcome aboard!

I would rate Knob Creek highly as a bourbon to take on a camping trip. It's robust enough to compete with the smoke from a campfire, but smooth enough to enjoy without ice or mixers. As much as I like Old Rip, it seems a little too soft (even in the 107 proof bottling) for such a testosterone-rich environment. :grin:

Another good candidate would be Wild Turkey, due to its alleged connection to turkey hunting, if for no other reason. In fact it is sufficiently full-flavored for such occasions. If 101 proof doesn't spin your fly reel, then Rare Breed should do the trick.

I spent part of a vacation in Arkansas several years ago. First there was trout fishing along the White River and then several days of hanging out with the musicians at the Stone County court square in Mountain View (http://wikitravel.org/en/Mountain_View_%28Arkansas%29). I could barely find time to visit the Ozark Folk Center and the Jimmy Driftwood Barn. (He and his wife Cleda saw us taking pictures one afternoon and stopped to chat.)

There were some aspects of the community that I didn't care for, but it was a wonderful vacation.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Stu
03-01-2009, 16:44
Welcome aboard!

There aren't enough Arkies on the board. I live up in Sharp County, but I go to Little Rock frequently for VA appointments. I like to go to the Flying Saucer for a Guinness and a good cigar if time permits. (You know I'm in a dry county). My favorite beverage shops are Springhill, Pop-a-top, and Economy. Of course they're on my route. Do you have any other suggestions? When I go to Texarkana there's a Red Barn or Red Roof or something like that, and I once went to a store on 40 on the way to Ft. Smith.

In fact I'll be in Little Rock on the 9th, if you'd like to meet and share a glass, I'll buy (I can't drink much because I have a 3+ hour drive home). If you have a favorite bar, I'm game. Send me a private message. If you don't know how, put a short note on this thread. We have a member in the NW part of the State, but he and I can never get together.

Look forward to seeing more posts from you.

Stu

fishnbowljoe
03-02-2009, 14:12
Welcome to SB MT. You have some decent bourbons to start you on your way. Buckle up and hang on! Its a heck of a ride. Enjoy it. Joe

PS. We're here to help in case it gets to rocky.:slappin: