PDA

View Full Version : Wine writer on bourbon....mistakes.

Jono
03-04-2009, 12:28
http://www.nwherald.com/columnists/columns/2009/03/03/r_6ypzsc1esdyypsu5t_xptw/index.xml

Andresky:
"Today small-batch bourbon means a whiskey distilled and aged for two years in charred oak barrels. The very best barrels are then selected as a reserve."

SB
"Small batch bourbons are bottlings from a "batch" of barrels that have been mixed prior to the bottling."

Andresky:
"Small-batch bourbon really has no official requirements, although corn, limestone spring water and charred barrels are its cornerstones. Most are made from corn or rye or both."

So he states a small-batch bourbon "may have" corn, rye or both!

What passess for informed writing....a little research please!

He a proprieter of a very nice restaurant and writes on wine 99% of the time....it shows.

Josh
03-04-2009, 13:16
There's really no excuse for this either, a simple google search would have cleared up most of it.

On the positive side, I recently picked up a copy of the 1st edition of the World Atlas of Wine by Hugh Johnson (whose name is apparently not a joke), and there's a very nice section in there on Bourbon. Not too much detail but it was nice that it was there.

smokinjoe
03-04-2009, 13:30
There's really no excuse for this either, a simple google search would have cleared up most of it.

On the positive side, I recently picked up a copy of the 1st edition of the World Atlas of Wine by Hugh Johnson (whose name is apparently not a joke), and there's a very nice section in there on Bourbon. Not too much detail but it was nice that it was there.

Doesn't he have a sister, Anita? ;)

kickert
03-04-2009, 13:50
Doesn't he have a sister, Anita? ;)

You know his middle name is Jass.

JeffRenner
03-09-2009, 19:56
I recently picked up a copy of the 1st edition of the World Atlas of Wine by Hugh Johnson (whose name is apparently not a joke), and there's a very nice section in there on Bourbon. Not too much detail but it was nice that it was there.

Well, what do you know? I had forgotten that. I have a copy (which I noted on the flyleaf that I got in December, 1976, perhaps as a Christmas present), but I hadn't looked at that section in years. It's a good wine resource, although rather out of date (1971) for the New World. Out of date for bourbon as well, but a nice historical reference.

Despite the comments regarding his name, however, I'm afraid I'm missing the joke.

Jeff

Josh
03-09-2009, 20:05
Well, what do you know? I had forgotten that. I have a copy (which I noted on the flyleaf that I got in December, 1976, perhaps as a Christmas present), but I hadn't looked at that section in years. It's a good wine resource, although rather out of date (1971) for the New World. Out of date for bourbon as well, but a nice historical reference.

Despite the comments regarding his name, however, I'm afraid I'm missing the joke.

Jeff

Johnson= slang for male member
The names are plays on that double meaning. "Ivana" would have been a good one too.

All kidding aside, that guide is pretty amazing over all. The current one has nothing about spirits at all (except maybe something about Cognac & Aramagnac), but simply as a wine atlas it is peerless. It makes as good a coffee table book as a reference. It's now in something like its 5th edition.