PDA

View Full Version : Screw tops vs Corks

p_elliott
03-16-2009, 09:24
I know this was an old thread but it was locked and I thought it was time to bring it back up again. I like cork I think it's classier and screw tops are cheap. But as has been discussed on here long term storage with screw tops can resulted in evaporation. Unless it was waxed but long term storage with cork can result in cork taint. What every one's opinion last time everyone was in favor of screw on. I was surprised that at whisky magazine they were having this same discussion gave me the idea for this one and they overwhelmingly chose screw on for scotch. By the way I've never had a bad cork.

funknik
03-16-2009, 09:33
I prefer corks aesthetically and I do attach the stigma that cheap stuff has a screw cap and nicer stuff has a cork even though I am anti-cork. I give priority to my tongue over my eyes on this one.

Plus my current favorite whiskey has a screw top (VSOF).

smokinjoe
03-16-2009, 10:21
I prefer cork. I love that Thwomp sound when opening. But, I have recently begun to really like the metal screw capsules on some of the Beam products. Has a nice sound and feel to it.
In regards to cork taint, I too, have never had a bottle that I thought had this. I also think that bad bottles with a "bad cork" claims are severely overexagerated.

ILLfarmboy
03-16-2009, 10:29
I prefer cork. I love that Thwomp sound when opening.

I like that sound, too. But, I'm moving toward screw caps. Sometimes if there isn't much left in the bottle the cork seems to shrink without drying out. So that when it is fully seated the seal isn't for s@#$.

Josh
03-16-2009, 10:37
Screw caps all the way. I like the sound too but the corks are more trouble than they're worth.

ElasticalGomez
03-16-2009, 12:05
i prefer corks for the same reason i prefer listening to vinyl. it's simply an integral part of the experience for me.

Klepackage
03-16-2009, 12:11
I certainly appreciate the pop when you pull a cork out, but dried out corks aren't any fun. It's kind of annoying when you want to drink something and the cork gets stuck or cracks. A screw top avoids that.

Hopefully no one has had a plastic screw top break when they tried to open it!

funknik
03-16-2009, 12:21
People have mmentioned this before -- We need whiskeys to move to those foam style corks found in most wines nowadays -- they're not as aesthically nice, but they pop when you pull em out and you can still have decorative elements on the top like Blanton's, Turkey, etc.Cork harvesting is starting to become a problem, too -- when I was in Portugal a few years ago, all of the cork trees were stripped and it takes years and years for them to grow the circumference of bark needed to produce more cork material. It doesn't hurt the trees, but the industry can't keep up with the demand.

Josh
03-16-2009, 12:59
People have mmentioned this before -- We need whiskeys to move to those foam style corks found in most wines nowadays -- they're not as aesthically nice, but they pop when you pull em out and you can still have decorative elements on the top like Blanton's, Turkey, etc.Cork harvesting is starting to become a problem, too -- when I was in Portugal a few years ago, all of the cork trees were stripped and it takes years and years for them to grow the circumference of bark needed to produce more cork material. It doesn't hurt the trees, but the industry can't keep up with the demand.

I think that's an excellent idea.

Squash
03-16-2009, 13:09
Screw 'em, if you know what I mean.

I like the corks because they are so cool, and they have that inherent feeling of quality. But sometimes when I look at the corks in the bottles, it just seems like there's a little biology experiment going on above the booze.

Perhaps I should stop storing my bottles on their sides. Just kidding.

sotnsipper
03-16-2009, 13:22
I like the cork but prefer the screw on. Sometimes when removing the cork, it feels like it is going to break off, especially on the 4R1B bottle. It is a rather small cork on a big cap. I also find that when I open the bottles with big openings with big corks for the first time, it is a little hard not to splash a little out. Like Andy said too, it is hard to cork every bottle produced these days so plastic seems economic.

docbible
03-16-2009, 14:47
Charbay whiskey out of CA has a nice synthetic cork that appears to work well. I think you will see others starting to follow. Keeps the appeal of quality but does not place the contents at risk. tim

kickert
03-16-2009, 15:29
I agree... I used to think screwtops were inferior, but now I appreciate their consistency. I think synthetic would be perfect.

Hondo
03-16-2009, 18:51
I like them both, however I do expect to break a cork off someday. No problems so far though.

I do appreciate the firm seal of a screw top and find that when I'm traveling either taking some bottles to a friends or traveling in my RV, I always seem to reach for the screw top bottles. They just travel better.

chefnash51
03-17-2009, 08:32
Screw caps.. they make less noise when I'm trying to sneak a pour :grin:

funknik
03-17-2009, 08:39
That is an excellent point, and it has come into play for me before.

chefnash51
03-17-2009, 08:51

That is an excellent point, and it has come into play for me before.

haha.. Good, glad I'm not alone on that one.

one knock I will give screw caps is I have never forgotten to re-cork something when putting back in my bunker, it's too easy to notice that. But I have, on a couple times, re capped something after a pour and didn't screw it on all the way tight. Perhaps thinking I might have another pour, but then end up putting in back in the bunker with a loose cap.

Guess we can't account for consumer neglect.

jburlowski
03-18-2009, 16:57
I'm with you... I've also forgotten to put a screw top on tight on occassion.

Luna56
03-18-2009, 17:18
I don't mind screw tops, but I am partial to the corks. To me there's an old school classiness about them.

With a little practice, one can become quite stealthy when it comes to removing corks silently. ;)

Cheers!

ILLfarmboy
03-18-2009, 19:38

...With a little practice, one can become quite stealthy when it comes to removing corks silently. ;)

Just tell the wife: Hey, I could be drinking in a bar.......I'm assuming you guys are talking about your wives.....

p_elliott
03-19-2009, 09:09
Just tell the wife: Hey, I could be drinking in a bar.......I'm assuming you guys are talking about your wives.....

My wife doesn't complain too much when I go to the bar but I think deep down she's a lot happier when I drink at home.

ILLfarmboy
03-20-2009, 22:44
I just tore nearly in half the cork on a bottle of Dalmore 12. I usually twist slightly and pull up, but the cork was stuck fast in the bottle It began to tear rather than give.:hot:

p_elliott
03-21-2009, 01:26
I bought my first dusty a Bakers from 93? I went to open it and the cork broke in half. Forchantly I had a WT Rye bottle with a bout a 1/4 of a drink left in it drank it off. Strained the Baker's and poured it in the WT Rye bottle. This was my first cork problem ever.

squire
03-21-2009, 22:01
I've had a few bottles ruined by tainted corks, just a few, one every ten years or so, but I've had a whole bunch of them break.

callmeox
03-22-2009, 20:02
I had a cork issue with the first bottle of WTKS that I purchased. The wooden top wasn't securely glued to the cork and they came apart. I resisted the temptation of taking a corkscrew to it and I swapped it out for a new bottle the next day.

With that experience behind me, I prefer screw tops for transporting partial bottles, but I don't mind the cork at home.

The Boozer
03-22-2009, 20:53
To date never had any problems with any cork, not even breaking off (keeping my fingers crossed). Like others, prefer corks for old school but have no problem with screw tops. What's everybody's take on plastic vs metal screw tops? I prefer metal.
TJ

CygnusX-1
04-05-2009, 15:58
Im in the "I know screw caps are better but i still like the cork" crowd. The cork is classy, traditional, and i just plain like the sound/feel if taking one out and having a good pour.

CygnusX-1
04-05-2009, 15:59
What's everybody's take on plastic vs metal screw tops? I prefer metal.
TJ

Never had a bottle with a metal cap, what are some bottles that do?

squire
04-06-2009, 17:38
I prefer metal myself.

independant
04-06-2009, 20:22
I prefer metal myself.

Beer is the only thing that I know of with a metal cap

kickert
04-06-2009, 20:49
Beer is the only thing that I know of with a metal cap

My bottle of cheap scotch blend (White Horse) has a metal cap and my WT American Honey minis have metal. I prefer plastic.

independant
04-06-2009, 21:20
My bottle of cheap scotch blend (White Horse) has a metal cap and my WT American Honey minis have metal. I prefer plastic.

Completely forgot about minis. I never buy them so I wasn't thinking about them.

gblick
04-07-2009, 07:20
I have some old 500ml Dickel 12's with metal caps.

sotnsipper
04-07-2009, 10:15
What's everybody's take on plastic vs metal screw tops?

You have to be careful not to over-tighten the metal screw lids. With the plastic, you can give it that extra seal by tightening it a little more. A little extra turn on the metal and there goes the good tight seal. I don't think I have seen a bottle (a 5th or bigger) of bourbon with a metal screw top either.

scratchline
04-07-2009, 11:47
All of these with metal caps. Only the Dant is post-metric (1980) so obviously metal is a thing of the past.

boone
04-07-2009, 12:04
All of these with metal caps. Only the Dant is post-metric (1980) so obviously metal is a thing of the past.

I think you are exactly right. It's not something that we do...I set up for corks and plastic caps (lined and unlined- 28 and 33) on bourbon. The only products that I set up the metal capper? -Dubonnet (wine) and Two Finger's (tequila).

scratchline
04-07-2009, 13:08
What does "lined and unlined- 28 and 33" refer to, Bettye Jo?

-Mike

funknik
04-07-2009, 13:24

-Mike
I imagine that 28 & 33 are different sizes and lined refers to the little foam/cardboard insert in the cap? Am I right?

boone
04-07-2009, 13:26

-Mike

Very good Funknik :grin:

Lined is used (mostly) on export or where we know that the temps might be "really high" or a product is really thick like Copa De Oro. This will provide some "give" when the alcohol expands. Unlined is the most common. The liner looks about the size of a quarter, coated with some type of plastic with some depth (cushion) to it. If the fill point is not dead up...and it get really hot...the caps will blow...I've been told that high altitudes with the fill point off without the proper head space will make it pop also..

Open your bottling, look at the inside of the cap...if it's a black cap and you see white (or gold and you see white) it's a lined cap :grin:

This reference is for HH bottles :grin: :grin:

28 is the size of the cap, your standard 200, 375, 750 glass are all 28 with torque at 12-16 on scale :grin:

33 will be the big boyzs :grin: :grin: 1.75 :grin: :grin: torque 22-26 on scale :grin: The only 750 we use 33 size is the on carry packs (plastic).

The Boozer
04-09-2009, 12:20
Never had a bottle with a metal cap, what are some bottles that do?

Have a bottle of JBW and JB Distill Series with metal cap. Also recently purchased 3 different bottles of Irish whiskey, all with metal caps, (Bushmills, Power's Gold lable and Clontarf). Bombay, Tanqueray and Seagrams's Extra Dry all have metal caps.
Yes, agree one has to be careful when tightening the metal but also true of plastic, can crack when screwed too tight. (don't go there, I know there is a joke in there).
But is plastic or metal better than cork? I agree with most that cork is so traditional, but given the increasing scarcity of cork and potential for bad cork, sure don't want to have foul smelling or tasting liquor because of the cork.
TJ

chefnash51
04-14-2009, 09:19
Just opened a bottle of Wathen's last night and was suprised to see they are using a Synthetic cork. Keeps a great seal, makes that thump sounds when you open, won't be tainted... Seems like a great idea to me!

and what a tasty pour it was! (Bottled in 2008)