PDA

View Full Version : MI Newbies

Josh
03-25-2009, 11:19
Whiskeys that is, not SB.com members:grin:

A number of new whiskeys and allied beverages have made it onto MI store shelves recently.

At my local liquor source (a fancy grocery really) the following are now on sale. I know THIS is a newbie question in itself, but I would appreciate some pointers on what, if anything, I should pick up. Keep in mind, I'm not big on wood, and I'm cheap...errr...I like getting the most for my money.

WR Sweet Mash
ORVW 10/107
VW Lot B
PVW 15

Also new to MI
Red Stag
Rebel Reserve
Rogue Brewery's Dead Guy Whiskey

Or should I just go back and get another bottle of OFBB or get the family-size EC 12?

kickert
03-25-2009, 11:25
I would say pick up the lot B as a special occasion pour.

I have not had the Rebel Reseve, but it might be up your alley if you like wheaters.

Klepackage
03-25-2009, 11:34
ORVW 10/107
VW Lot B
PVW 15

Or should I just go back and get another bottle of OFBB or get the family-size EC 12?

I have yet to meet a Van Winkle product I did not like. I'll one up Ben and suggest the PVW 15 as a special occasion pour.

The ORVW 10/107 is quite delicious. I add a splash of water which brings out the sweetness and reduces the burn. At $33 (CO prices), it's a steal.

For comparison, I see the OFBB run just shy of $40 and the EC12 is about $27. I consider the PVW 15 and ORVW 10/107 better bourbons in price and taste.

The Boozer
03-25-2009, 11:42
Josh dude, ORVW 10/107, PVW 15 and lot B have been in the mitten awhile now. I got a bottle of PVW 15 & lot B in the liquor cabinet - will have to share soon. The Rebel Yell Reserve is new. ORVW 10/07 is a bit pricey @ $39.95 when in Chi-town it goes for like $26-27. PS - leave that big bottle of EC12 alone - its got my name written all over it. :cool:

Confusion - is rebel yell a wheater or rye? Seen it discussed on other pots as a rye.
TJ

kickert
03-25-2009, 11:45
Confusion - is rebel yell a wheater or rye? Seen it discussed on other pots as a rye.
TJ

It is a wheater.

From their website: Golden in color and rich in taste, Rebel Yell Bourbon is made according to the original W L Weller “wheated” bourbon recipe and method in one of Kentucky's oldest distilleries, satisfying the refined tastes of southern gentlemen for decades.

The Boozer
03-25-2009, 11:55
Thanks Ben,
Thought it was a rye but given its a wheater will definitely have to try it.
TJ

Josh
03-25-2009, 12:00
It is a wheater.

From their website: Golden in color and rich in taste, Rebel Yell Bourbon is made according to the original W L Weller “wheated” bourbon recipe and method in one of Kentucky's oldest distilleries, satisfying the refined tastes of southern gentlemen for decades.

Thanks Ben,
Thought it was rye but given its a wheater will definately have to try it.
TJ

IIRC It was orginally a wheater, kind of a poor relation to the Wellers and Old Fitz for many years. Then Diageo switched it to a Rye-formula, then sold the brand and then it went back to being a wheater.

And you're right Tim, a number of those have been in MI for a while, I had just forgotten about them. Holiday Mkt. just got a new shipment of them in recently so I was wondering what I should get.

The EC 12 does sound like it might just hit the spot. Maybe I'll stop by after work...:stickpoke: ;)

squire
03-25-2009, 18:04
Hey Josh, I would choose the 1.75 Eligah Craig as the best bang for the buck on your list.

jburlowski
03-29-2009, 09:14
Try all the bourbons with the exception of the WR Sweet Mash.

Josh
03-30-2009, 09:59
UPDATE: I almost bought the ORVW 10/107 last week. But at around $40 and the fact that I'll be in KY in a few weeks, I decided not to. One of those EC 12's might hitch a ride home with me today, though. Haven't had any of that in a while.

Wow that's a great story, Josh. Now tell us about the time you thought you saw a dog.:skep: