PDA

View Full Version : What Beer Are You Drinking? Spring '09

funknik
03-25-2009, 18:41
I went out with Shannon to Sebago Brewing and we had some Whiskey Porter, which i imagine is cask mellowed in an old whiskey barrel or something. It was delicious. Then I came home and did a short vertical of Anchor Christmas...first '04 then 05'. They are ver similar except that the '05 really masters the acidity and over-roasted finish evindent in the '04, so the '05 is the winner...a tremendous brew! Christnmas spice and roasted chocolate malt & char.

StraightBoston
03-26-2009, 08:12
Last night, I enjoyed an Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Beer (the oak being used whiskey barrels -- reputed to be Jack Daniel's by someone who visited the brewery in Scotland!)

dave ziegler
03-26-2009, 17:54
Tonight is is Narragansett Bock a fine and flavorful Bock Beer! I also had a left over Sam Adams Winter Lager!
Dave Z
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==--
Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food!

DrinkyBanjo
03-27-2009, 05:34
Last night I had a Duvel, I love this beer! I love watching the bubbles come up from the bottom of the glass, this continues for the life of the beer.

ThomasW
03-27-2009, 07:39
Last night I had a Duvel, I love this beer! I love watching the bubbles come up from the bottom of the glass, this continues for the life of the beer.
I'm drinking Duvel right now, and I totally agree this is GREAT beer.
Never actually been a fan of to strong beer, but this is damn good!
So try Duvel if you get the chance!

George
03-27-2009, 09:46
Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter. Decent brew.

callmeox
03-27-2009, 18:13
Ommegang Hennepin Farmhouse Saison on tap at my favorite watering hole. I wish I could find it in the bottle around here.

smokinjoe
03-27-2009, 18:31
Ommegang Hennepin Farmhouse Saison on tap at my favorite watering hole. I wish I could find it in the bottle around here.

I can only imagine how it sounds when someone orders their sixth one of those. :D I don't think I could get all of those words out cleanly if I was sober!

Scott, see you at Sampler?

callmeox
03-27-2009, 18:35
You just say "Hennepin" and they know what you want. :grin: The extra info was added in the event that someone here wanted to toss the name into Google.

As they say with award shows, I'm scheduled to appear at the sampler. Check your PM's when you have a chance.

doubleblank
03-28-2009, 12:50
I'm still in New Zealand and have done my share of tasting the local brews and wines. So much so, I haven't had a whiskey of any kind in over two weeks. I'm sad to report that New Zealand's reputation for producing solid but mostly uninteresting beer is well deserved. Many of them seem to have too much sugar (added caramel is the culprit often speculated by beer nerds) ......... almost becoming unbalanced is some cases. But there are a couple I can recommend if you can find them.

Mac's Sassy Red is a vary unique beer. Almost a cross of an APA and an English bitter. Their promotional material says they add "buckets" of NZ Saaz hops at various stages of the brewing cycle. Copper red in color, rich and a nice hoppy finish. And the coolest beer bottle and bottle-top I've seen. This has been my favorite by far and at 4.6% alcohol you can have a few.

Mac's Black is also a nice attempt at making a black beer. Its a lager and uses fuggle hops. A little stronger at 5%, but its hard for me to drink more than one black lager anyway.

Randy

G-Rat
03-28-2009, 20:51
I'm still in New Zealand and have done my share of tasting the local brews and wines. So much so, I haven't had a whiskey of any kind in over two weeks. I'm sad to report that New Zealand's reputation for producing solid but mostly uninteresting beer is well deserved. Many of them seem to have too much sugar (added caramel is the culprit often speculated by beer nerds) ......... almost becoming unbalanced is some cases. But there are a couple I can recommend if you can find them.

Mac's Sassy Red is a vary unique beer. Almost a cross of an APA and an English bitter. Their promotional material says they add "buckets" of NZ Saaz hops at various stages of the brewing cycle. Copper red in color, rich and a nice hoppy finish. And the coolest beer bottle and bottle-top I've seen. This has been my favorite by far and at 4.6% alcohol you can have a few.

Mac's Black is also a nice attempt at making a black beer. Its a lager and uses fuggle hops. A little stronger at 5%, but its hard for me to drink more than one black lager anyway.

Randy

Don't know how into craft beer you are but maybe this link will help you in your search for good beer...maybe you've already looked at it...a map of all craft beer goings on in NZ:

http://ratebeer.com/Maps/Metro-182.htm

callmeox
03-28-2009, 21:21
At the request of a friend who had way too much beer left over from a party last weekend, I stopped by to watch basketball and help thin the herd. An undetermined number of bottles of Conway's Irish Ale (http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/beerProfile.php?beer_id=00000006) from Great Lakes Brewing Company bit the dust.

I wish it was a full time beer for them, but it's just seasonal.

doubleblank
03-29-2009, 05:06
Thanks for the link in NZ. But like the map shows, there's not much craft brewing going on down there. The pubs and bars are fantastic though......good atmospheres and friendly people. The Kilkenny "Brewed in NZ acoording to the original formula" I had at Indians and Cowboys was a bit of a let down, but at least they were honest. I haven't made it to the one pub with good reviews, but will try to in the next few days.

Randy

G-Rat
03-29-2009, 12:26
doubleblank -
there is a label made in Australia called Little Creatures that is supposed to be really really good. They make a pale ale called...you guessed it Little Creatures Pale ale that is supposed to be really good. You might find it somewhere down there..

ggilbertva
03-29-2009, 13:12
Magic Hat Circus Boy. A little spice in this Hefe.

DeanSheen
03-29-2009, 16:08
Great Lakes - Blackout Stout

dave ziegler
03-29-2009, 17:31
Tonight I am drinking "Bareville Pilsner" from the Intercourse Brewing company from Intercourse Pa near Lancaster Pa it is a smooth mild Pilsner and goes good with lots of Bourbon as we tested it tonight!
"Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer is Food"
Dave Z

StraightBoston
03-29-2009, 18:30
Michelob Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale :( -- last of the 6-pack :)!

My wife bought it with good intentions, but it's taken me all winter to get rid of it. Undoubtedly there's some whiskey aroma under all of that vanilla...

funknik
03-29-2009, 18:33
Michelob Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale :( -- last of the 6-pack :)!

My wife bought it with good intentions, but it's taken me all winter to get rid of it. Undoubtedly there's some whiskey aroma under all of that vanilla...Shannon bought a six-pack of that a couple of years ago and it was the same story -- despite pawning one off on every unsuspecting guest -- it took till the spring to get rid of that swill. :)

Tonight I had some Leinenkugel Red Ales -- those are awesome.

doubleblank
03-30-2009, 08:32
Hey Rat,

I believe I mentioned Little Creatures in my trip thread here on SB. I went to their brewery in Fremantle and their pale ale is outstanding. It is great on tap and in bottle. The James Squire brewed in Sydney also makes a great range of beers widely available in Oz. Their golden also on tap is a great beer. Generally, I found the craft beers (and mass produced beers) in Australia to be better than anything here in NZ.

Randy

craigthom
03-30-2009, 15:24
I went to the New Albanian Brewing Company's new Bank Street Brewery, which isn't a brewery yet, and had Oaktimus, which is their Hoptimus IPA aged with oak. I think it's cheap, and I think it was aged a long time.

It was interesting. I think they use plain unused uncharred oak, so it's not at all like beer aged in whiskey barrels. It has a good bit of astringency from the wood to go with the same from the hops.

OscarV
03-31-2009, 13:09
The Sales Manager tracked me down today and wanted to spring for lunch.
So WTF I ordered a Czechvar.
Same Mother brewery but not as far as local distribution goes.
Maybe I'm gettin' tired of him.

bonneamie
03-31-2009, 18:12
We had dinner tonight at a Belgian restaurant (to celebrate my husband's new job--yay!!) so I had the restaurant microbrew sampler. Ugh. I don't get the attraction of Belgian style beers. Too wheaty? Especially the light ones. No Thank You!

bonneamie
03-31-2009, 18:15
I forgot (wonder why) that I had a beer at lunch today that I greatly preferred to the belgian stuff--Arcadia's London Porter. Hearty, but not to heavy and a little sweet.
I don't usually have beer with all my meals :lol:

Special Reserve
03-31-2009, 18:34
I like the sweetness in the Belgian doubles and triples. The others I think are overpriced and overvalued.

Will

StraightBoston
03-31-2009, 18:40
Beamish from a widget can (thanks Andy!)

ACDetroit
03-31-2009, 21:20
Schlitz tonight before dinner! Taste like real beer!

Tony

theDon
04-01-2009, 10:56
Bought a 6-pack sampler of Real Brewing Co. beer from Blanco, Tx. It came with 3 different samples 2 - Pale Ale, 2 - Pale Rye Ale, and 2 - Brown Ale.

I had the 2 Pale Ryes yesterday and they were superb. Reminded me alot of Stone IPA with a spicier finish. I'm going to keep an eye out for this brand in the future. It's the first time I've seen it. Kinda pricey at $8.50 a 6-pack, when I can just get St. Arnold's from Houston for $7.

funknik
04-01-2009, 11:05
Beamish from a widget can (thanks Andy!)
Nice!!!! Glad to be of service!

dave ziegler
04-02-2009, 16:40
Tonight I am drinking Back to the future good Old Ballantine XXX Ale and I admit I still love it! I always have and I do not care who makes it still tastes good to me!
Dave Z
---------------------------------------------------
Beer Its not Just A Beverage beer Is Food

jesskidden
04-03-2009, 04:46
Tonight I am drinking Back to the future good Old Ballantine XXX Ale and I admit I still love it! I always have and I do not care who makes it still tastes good to me!

Well, I'll offer that most people who "care" about the current version of Ballantine XXX Ale are more concerned with HOW it's made, not by whom. (OTOH, there are what I think are valid reasons to dislike the S+P/Kalmanovitz/Pabst company but they are more "personal/political" than based on the beer itself).

In the case of the Miller-contract-brewed BA, the objections are an apparent switch to lager yeast (brewed in the "bastard ale" method of warmer fermentation), a much lower alcohol rate, a change of hops and the switch to dry hopping from distilled hop oils. "Tasting good" is, of course, a personal opinion- most will say it "tastes different".

I notice that Victory is currently brewing a draught-only "Ballantine XXX Ale" clone (using Cascades, according to some reports, rather than Brewers' Gold hops). They are not the first craft brewer to do so - I think there's been a good half dozen such "tribute" ales - and their's is dubbed Three Ring Ale (http://www.victorybeer.com/On%20Tap%20at%20Restaurant.pdf). It's currently available on tap at their brewpub and I've seen reports that it's also being shipped to other Victory draught accounts. Have yet to see anyone who is familiar with the "original" (Newark or even Cranston) review it, however.

Maybe you could take a drive over to Downingtown and have a beer (or two) for us, Dave, and find out? :)

dave ziegler
04-03-2009, 08:28
Well, I'll offer that most people who "care" about the current version of Ballantine XXX Ale are more concerned with HOW it's made, not by whom. (OTOH, there are what I think are valid reasons to dislike the S+P/Kalmanovitz/Pabst company but they are more "personal/political" than based on the beer itself).

In the case of the Miller-contract-brewed BA, the objections are an apparent switch to lager yeast (brewed in the "bastard ale" method of warmer fermentation), a much lower alcohol rate, a change of hops and the switch to dry hopping from distilled hop oils. "Tasting good" is, of course, a personal opinion- most will say it "tastes different".

I notice that Victory is currently brewing a draught-only "Ballantine XXX Ale" clone (using Cascades, according to some reports, rather than Brewers' Gold hops). They are not the first craft brewer to do so - I think there's been a good half dozen such "tribute" ales - and their's is dubbed Three Ring Ale (http://www.victorybeer.com/On%20Tap%20at%20Restaurant.pdf). It's currently available on tap at their brewpub and I've seen reports that it's also being shipped to other Victory draught accounts. Have yet to see anyone who is familiar with the "original" (Newark or even Cranston) review it, however.

Maybe you could take a drive over to Downingtown and have a beer (or two) for us, Dave, and find out? :)
You Know what that is something I want to do very soon as I want to try the stuff they make that has the Yeast and someother things that make it seemilar to Good old Schimd's Of Phila their Site talkes about having it from April till June for celabration of the end of Prohibition. If I get over I will try both!
Dave
--------------------------------------------
Beer its Not Just A Beverage beer Is food

jesskidden
04-03-2009, 14:05
You Know what that is something I want to do very soon as I want to try the stuff they make that has the Yeast and someother things that make it seemilar to Good old Schimd's Of Phila their Site talkes about having it from April till June for celabration of the end of Prohibition. If I get over I will try both!

Yeah, I think they call that "Throwback Lager". There's a cool article on the 'net (maybe it's on the Victory site, now that I think about it) about a bunch of former Schmidt's guys touring Victory.

They also quite a few other draught-only and brewpub-only beers.

Jono
04-03-2009, 14:27
Took a friend out for lunch and had a couple of "special price" ($3.00 bottle) Heineckens...I never used to like it when I was younger but I find it ok now.

nor02lei
04-04-2009, 00:50
Goose Island Bourbon county stout at Monks café in Stockholm. Very very heavy and flavorful. Almost as an “essence”. The 35,5 cl would have been enough for 2 people easy.

Leif

Jono
04-04-2009, 19:11
I had no idea Goose Island was exported...

http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/our_story/6.php
"he company currently ships its beers to 15 states and the U.K." (Sweden..via the UK?)

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/10672

http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/our_beers/3.php

I have not seen half of these in the liqour stores...limited distribution?

nor02lei
04-05-2009, 00:59
I had no idea Goose Island was exported...

http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/our_story/6.php
"he company currently ships its beers to 15 states and the U.K." (Sweden..via the UK?)

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/10672

http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/our_beers/3.php

I have not seen half of these in the liqour stores...limited distribution?

All roe Sweden is a small country we are the biggest importers of American microbrewery beer in the world. The interest in micro beer is very big here in Sweden. We have quit a lot of our own microbrewery now, despite the fact that they all have a hard time with the authorities. Our neighbour country in the south Denmark has the fastest microbrewery development in the world.
A bit ironically it is much easier to get American micro beer than Swedish here.

Leif

DeanSheen
04-05-2009, 07:02
Jolly Pumpkin "Bam Bier" on tap.

Great stuff.

smokinjoe
04-07-2009, 15:38
Yeah, what beer am I drinking Spring '09? SPRING!!! It friggin' snowed today. This is Georgia, for crying out loud! So, I'm switching gears, and going back to a dark warmer brew...a Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout. Ahhh...that's better. Whining over...After a Thos. Handy Rye. But, that's for another thread.

dave ziegler
04-07-2009, 18:14
Tonight I had a bottle of Tommyknocker Coco Porter given me by a friend and it was awesome! The last couple of nights i was Drinking Red Hook brewings Copper Hook and real nice spring Ale.
-------------------------------------------
Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food
Dave Z

augustgarage
04-09-2009, 21:06
Bought a 6-pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA.

I don't know if it is the Two-row pale malt or the yeast, but it definitely shares a signature with the regular pale ale (sort of a citrus flavor). There is also a touch of pleasant bitterness, and the hops give it a potent, though by no means overwhelming aroma (pine with a little hemp-like funk in the background). Not bad, not exceptional - a very approachable IPA if you are new to the style.

Luna56
04-09-2009, 21:43
Grilled up some nice tuna steaks tonight and had a plain old Sam Adams Boston Lager with dinner. Works well with food. I always have it on hand, it's become my old reliable.

Cheers!

PS- I always drink from a nice beer glass when I'm drinking a good beer. I'm not sure it makes the beer taste any better, though I personally suspect that it does, but I enjoy the experience much more.

Special Reserve
04-10-2009, 06:49
Bought a 6-pack of...

It seems that the beer I've gotten lately are now in 4-packs and are priced more than 6-packs.

miller542
04-10-2009, 08:14
Sierra Nevada Torpedo? - check. A real nice IPA

4 packs that cost more than 6 pack? - check. Imperial styles are becoming extremely popular.

But the one beer I really enjoyed recently is Pyramid Ales Rollick. A nice amber lager that suites cool spring evenings really well. Not fruity, herby, or light-bodied, just a full-flavored micro.

funknik
04-11-2009, 12:33
Last night I had a Guinness and then, with dinner, an Arrogant Bastard from Stone . . . loved it so much I stole the glass from the bar!

Magic Hat Circus Boy. A little spice in this Hefe.
What do you think of it, Greg? This is probably my least favorite of the Magic Hat line and definitely my least fav Hefe. The wife and I joke that they put it in every seasonal variety pack because no one will buy it on its own.

Phischy
04-15-2009, 12:18
Last night I had: Moylan's Kiltlifter batch 1000, Hair of the Dog: Fred from the Wood, and 2 pints of Undercover by Laguanitas. I had another beer but I forgot what it was...

On tap I've got an 11.1% American Barleywine, a 15% Adambier, but it needs work, a wintery-ish toasted oatmeal/vanilla/cinnamon/chocolate stout, and a 10.5% belgian dark strong.

augustgarage
04-15-2009, 21:27
Last night I had: Moylan's Kiltlifter batch 1000, Hair of the Dog: Fred from the Wood, and 2 pints of Undercover by Laguanitas. I had another beer but I forgot what it was...

On tap I've got an 11.1% American Barleywine, a 15% Adambier, but it needs work, a wintery-ish toasted oatmeal/vanilla/cinnamon/chocolate stout, and a 10.5% belgian dark strong.

Man, I envy you for the Hair of the Dog (http://www.hairofthedog.com/beers.html)- I haven't his brews since I moved away from Portland...never seen it in Los Angeles (Laguanitas would be a big let down for me after that).

I'm currently drinking Red Trolley Ale (http://www.karlstrauss.com/PAGES/Brews/OurBeer/RedTrolley.html) from San Diego's Karl Strauss Brewery.

Lovely malts, and some unique flavors (candy/dried fruit - I can't place it) as well (maybe attributed to the warm fermentation?) - it is red enough to make me wonder about artificial coloring though. I'll seek this out on draught next time I'm down in San Diego.

Sijan
04-16-2009, 07:23
Last night, Abita Amber and Abita Turbodog. The night before, Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale.

Phischy
04-16-2009, 08:40
Karl Strauss sucks balls. I wouldn't touch that for anything.

I'm working on a better Adam clone, the one I have now is good, but too smooth, it's missing the roasty character of true HOTD Adam. So in reading I discovered he uses peat malt....Ah!

It's the one brewery I've yet to make it to up there.

If you ever drive down south to Carlsbad, hit the Pizza Port bottle shop, you ought to be able to find a lot of good beer there. Or drive out to the Stuffed Sammitch in teh LA area...they have a huge beer list.

http://www.stuffedsandwich.com/

augustgarage
04-16-2009, 09:46
I've found a few places with decent bottle selections (e.g. Galco's, a couple of the Whole Foods branches), but hadn't seen HOTD down here yet, so thanks for the tip.

The Red Trolley Ale comes across as a sort of failed experiment if you compare it to other seasonal red ales (e.g. Santa's Private Reserve by Rogue) - but I like the caramelized malt nuttiness which seems balanced more by the yeast rather than the hops. The flavor profile is a bit peculiar (somebody described the aroma as "tomato soup" on beeradvocate), so I could see not enjoying it. Why do you hate it?

I've had a lot of craft beers that I think are overrated (mostly California/Colorado micros) but only a handful that I found to be undrinkable (I'm looking at you Monkey Face Porter (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1043/4533)...of course I might have gotten a spoiled batch).

Phischy
04-17-2009, 09:03
Karl Strauss is just not a good beer brewer to me. I haven't cared for anything that they produce. I'm a pretty big homebrewer, and have taken the BJCP exam (waiting on my scores). They're lifeless and boring.

My favorite so cal breweries are Alesmith, Ballast Point and Alpine Brewing companies.

I'd be interested to hear which CA/CO brews you've thought were over rated.

dave ziegler
04-17-2009, 11:11
Speaking Of Home brewing last Night I had a wonderful Porter Brewed by my Friend and it was as good if not better then most Porters I have drank. And If there is one thing I love its porter.

I had my first Porter when I 19 yrs old mount Carmel pa. you would knock 3 times have your money ready and out would come a bag of 6 Kaiers Special Porter as fast as you got the brown bag the money was gone and the door closed. All you saw was a hand!

The Old Timers up in the Pa Coal regions called it Medicine! And I have Loved Porter ever since!
Dave Z
----------------------------------------------------
Beer Its More Than Just A beverage Beer Is Food

augustgarage
04-17-2009, 13:16
Karl Strauss is just not a good beer brewer to me. I haven't cared for anything that they produce. I'm a pretty big homebrewer, and have taken the BJCP exam (waiting on my scores). They're lifeless and boring.

I'd never heard of the BJCP exam until now, so thanks for that!

My favorite so cal breweries are Alesmith, Ballast Point and Alpine Brewing companies.

I'd be interested to hear which CA/CO brews you've thought were over rated.I've only had a couple offerings (Horny Devil and Speedway Stout I think) from Alesmith but none from the other two. I'll try them if I see them.

Over-rated brews:

CA: Ruedrich's Red Seal Ale, Anderson Valley's Boont Amber Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale are all mediocre.

Everything I've had by Lost Coast has been unremarkable (Great White was OK). Really, there are very few NorCal brews I've had that are even as good as Anchor Steam...

Stone makes some interesting beers, but while I like Arrogant Bastard fair enough, I am really tired of hearing how it is "the best beer ever" from countless people. No way. Stone wouldn't even make my top 10 domestics.

I'm not big on several of the Lagunitas beers either (their IPA or their Russian Imperial Stout for instance), though I need to try/re-try a couple of their offerings.

WA/CA: (Seattle/Berkeley): Pyramid - the beers I've tried from them range from "meh" to "yuck"

CO: New Belgium - Skinny Dip is not very good. Fat Tire is pretty boring. 1554 and Abbey are decent (but neither comes close the majority of real Belgian brews). 2 below is forgettable.

I lived in Portland from '97 - '02, went to Belgium in '06, and have beer-loving family in Wisconsin so California has been a pretty big disappointment beer-wise. Next time I'm down in SD maybe I can trade you some of my home-made limoncello for some of your home-brew :yum: :grin:

HipFlask
04-18-2009, 10:24
Well my wife is out in California visiting releative's so I am home batchin it. One advantage of that is I can drink beer unfettered by my prohabitionist wife. She's actually not that bad but I do get a raised eye brow if I part take in beverages too many days in a row. But here is the list of most of the beers I have consumed since she's been gone.
1. 2008 Cuvee Van DeKeizer Blauw-Gouden Carolus this beer rated a 99 and is only brewed once a year on Feb 24th att 11%.
2. Bitburger Premium beer. It comes in a four pack for 3.79 at the local store.
3. Zotler Bier - Korbinian Dunkel. This is a classic Dark Lager. Yummie
4. Smuttynose IPA. This is a dry hopped and unfiltered beer. Got love the sediment and the hops!
5. Great Lakes Brewing Co. Edmund Fitzgerald Porter. This is a Smokey, Robust Dark porter is very very good. Bavarian Purity Law brewed.
6. 2 beers form Meantime There London Porter and IPA. These are 2 very good beers. Bottle conditioned as well. I think I see a trend in the beers I like.
7. New Glarus Wi. Brewery's Hearty Hop IPA. I drank a whole six pack at Poker night with the guys. 12 hours of poker. I was very aggressive and won. This hoppy beer help me through it.
8. New Glarus Wi. Uff-da bock. This is a stand by and is always in the frig. My wife and her friends like this beer.
9. And a third New Glarus brew. Their Stout. This one has that heavy chocolate taste very good stuff.

My favs so far have been #3, #1 and #4 with both beers in #6 in the best runner up category.

augustgarage
04-18-2009, 18:01
What is the New Glarus stout called? The only stout I've seen from them is the seasonal coffee stout (also, I agree Meantime Londo Porter is pretty tasty).

OscarV
04-18-2009, 18:13
It was unusally warm today, so I sprung for a 6 of Czechvar.

HipFlask
04-19-2009, 06:39
I will have to pick up another 6 pack of the New Glarus Stout. I must confess I don't remember what the label read other than the sticker on the neck of the bottle that read "Stout". It could be your coffee stout or perhaps a Irish style stout. I will get back to you on that.

Phischy
04-20-2009, 11:33
I'd never heard of the BJCP exam until now, so thanks for that!

I've only had a couple offerings (Horny Devil and Speedway Stout I think) from Alesmith but none from the other two. I'll try them if I see them.

Over-rated brews:

CA: Ruedrich's Red Seal Ale, Anderson Valley's Boont Amber Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale are all mediocre.

Everything I've had by Lost Coast has been unremarkable (Great White was OK). Really, there are very few NorCal brews I've had that are even as good as Anchor Steam...

Stone makes some interesting beers, but while I like Arrogant Bastard fair enough, I am really tired of hearing how it is "the best beer ever" from countless people. No way. Stone wouldn't even make my top 10 domestics.

I'm not big on several of the Lagunitas beers either (their IPA or their Russian Imperial Stout for instance), though I need to try/re-try a couple of their offerings.

WA/CA: (Seattle/Berkeley): Pyramid - the beers I've tried from them range from "meh" to "yuck"

CO: New Belgium - Skinny Dip is not very good. Fat Tire is pretty boring. 1554 and Abbey are decent (but neither comes close the majority of real Belgian brews). 2 below is forgettable.

I lived in Portland from '97 - '02, went to Belgium in '06, and have beer-loving family in Wisconsin so California has been a pretty big disappointment beer-wise. Next time I'm down in SD maybe I can trade you some of my home-made limoncello for some of your home-brew :yum: :grin:

The BJCP study guide is online there, just have to look to see when a test in your area. The last 2 tests for So Cal have been in San Diego. One important aspect of testing is off flavors.

Not that impressed with Cali beers? Sir, no offense, but you're drinking all the wrong stuff. Cali wins more medals at the Great American Beer Fest than any other state. And the county of san diego last year won more medals than Oregon and Washington...combined. www.gabf.org (http://www.gabf.org)

SNPA is a good standby, but West Coast IPA from Green Flash is really good. So is their IIPA. Ballast Point is making inroads with their specail release beers that have very limited distribution but are fantastic. I was at Pizza Port San Clemente last weekend and their Infamous Stout was hands down amazing.

I go to Portland about 2x a year and most of their beer is about average. Lots of brewpubs putting out tons of beer, but a lot of it isn't remarkable. I have had some outstanding beers there, don't get me wrong. On a whole, it's 2nd or 3rd place to SD.

Now: Go find great beer!

augustgarage
04-20-2009, 18:28
Picked up Sierra Nevada 2009 ESB, Ballast Point Wahoo Wheat Beer, and Dogfish Head Palo Santa Marron.

dave ziegler
04-23-2009, 05:10
Last night it was Tommy Knocker Coco Porter and Anchor Porter just can't have enough good porters!
Dave Z

Phischy
04-24-2009, 13:41
I'm judging the Porter catagory tonight for my region's entries into Nationals. 8 people judging 39 beers. Ought to be very interesting!

Last night I had North Coast Old Ale, Port brewing Old Viscosity, Russian river Blind Pig, and 8oz of the Barrel Aged Imperial Porter Decadance by Alesmith...oh my god...the perfect blend of bourbon and beer. So so so good. Oh and a bottle I shared of Affligem Noel.

augustgarage
04-24-2009, 20:34
I guess that means you passed your test? Congrats.

Speaking of bourbon and beer, have you tried the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout? Saw some at a store up here but hesitated based on price. I usually go for the Allagash Curieux when I want a bourbon barrel-aged ale.

Picked up Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA, several of my go-to Belgian and German beers, and a good selection of California brews (Blind Pig and Pliny the Elder from Russian River, Saison de Lente from The Bruery, a dusty bottle of Yulesmith Holiday from Alesmith, etc).

I also grabbed a Hitachino Next Extra High, which is aged in sake casks...

Phischy
04-27-2009, 08:39
I do not know yet if I passed, but the fact I've taken the test puts me at the lowest ranking of 'apprentience'. If I score 60+ then I'm an 'official' judge. The rankings are: Recognized/Certified/National/Master/Master + and to get into each catagory you have to score a certain number and then also have enough expierence points.

I was judging with a certified level judge and we made it through 12 of the 29 poters, next group did 9 and the other two groups did 6. We went so fast simply because I was judging the beers damn near what the certified level judge was doing. So I thought that was good, my buds were dialed into what I was sensing and it agreed with what the higher ranking judge thought.

The Bourbon County Stout is expensive, but it's SO good. It generally takes me about an hour to sip my way through 12oz...and it needs to warm up a bit to really release the flavor.

funknik
04-27-2009, 12:46
Stopped into a favorite NH local brewery after hiking yesterday . . . Moat Mountain Brew & Smoke House. My wife and I each had a Blueberry Wheat and filled our two growlers with another gallon of the stuff to bring home -- it was pretty good. The fruit flavor was very understated as to be almost indistinguishable, but still present and crisp and smooth.

I also can see from my desk at work 5 cases of Yuengling Lager cans. My boss just visited his folks in PA this weekend and, since he knows that I'm a Yuengling fan, I'm hoping at least one of those cases is for me. They have been sitting here all day and he hasn't mentioned anything to me about it -- the anticipation is killing me.

texascarl
04-27-2009, 16:03
A new brew from Kansas City's Boulevard, their 'Single Wide IPA'. Very piney hops, nice bite. I've kinda moved away from IPAs in recent years, but there was a time this would have been right up my alley.

http://tinyurl.com/c8xu4l

MissingKY
04-28-2009, 20:57
Wow, Carl, I was just about to post that I'm trying that one for the first time tonight, too. I think the Single Wide IPA is pretty tasty with a nice hoppiness. The mouthfeel is just a little thinner than I'd like, but it's a nice beer.

Boulevard seems to do pretty well with their beers. I got a sampler 12-pack of theirs a few months ago, and all of the beers were solid. Their dry stout and American Pale Ale were particularly nice.

gr8erdane
04-29-2009, 16:09
I'm quaffing off a growler of Left Hand Imperial Stout that alas! was too heavy to pack off for the Sampler. When I picked this up last week I got to sample an early batch of their new IPA that will soon join their bottled lineup. Keep your eyes out for the 400 lb Monkey. It's not as hoppy as some IPAs I've had but is still big on taste. I finally found the Oskar Blues brewery here in Longmont but have yet to zero in on their tasting room. Tomorrow I plan on continuing the search...

texascarl
04-29-2009, 16:14
It's nice to see folks in Chicago drinking KC's Blvd beer. FWIW, I drink a lot of your Goose Island, turnabout is fair play. Their Kolsch is a summer fave around here.

Boulevard has a draft-only Maibock available right now. I'ma make it a point to go find some on tap and give it a taste before it goes away.

Phischy
04-30-2009, 13:13
I'm quaffing off a growler of Left Hand Imperial Stout that alas! was too heavy to pack off for the Sampler. When I picked this up last week I got to sample an early batch of their new IPA that will soon join their bottled lineup. Keep your eyes out for the 400 lb Monkey. It's not as hoppy as some IPAs I've had but is still big on taste. I finally found the Oskar Blues brewery here in Longmont but have yet to zero in on their tasting room. Tomorrow I plan on continuing the search...

During GABF I did a tour of breweries north of Denver. The old Oskar Blues and their main bar is up the road in Lyons. I'm not sure if their production facility in Longmont actually has a tasting room. If you haven't been to Lyons, check it out. That bar is a Blast! I've been there twice so far, and now they're calling their yella beer as well.

Cans of Ted Fidy...yum. I also dig all their beer, if you can get it barrel aged, you're a total bastard...I'm dying to try that. maybe on at GABF next year.

ggilbertva
05-02-2009, 12:06
Found some Alagash White at a local package store. I really like this beer.

gr8erdane
05-06-2009, 13:20
Thanks to Chris (Klepackage) I've been introduced to the OB bar in Lyons and I've been told they have a tasting room somewhere near the brewery in southern Longmont but successive trips to find it have been less than successful, ending in stopping in at Left Hand to drown my sorrows. I did purchase a six of Mama's Little Yella Pils and it's not bad for someone who doesn't like heavy beers. The can actually says malt liquor on it for some odd reason. Guess they want to eventually sell it in 40 oz cans...

Klepackage
05-07-2009, 10:51
Thanks to Chris (Klepackage) I've been introduced to the OB bar in Lyons and I've been told they have a tasting room somewhere near the brewery in southern Longmont but successive trips to find it have been less than successful, ending in stopping in at Left Hand to drown my sorrows. I did purchase a six of Mama's Little Yella Pils and it's not bad for someone who doesn't like heavy beers. The can actually says malt liquor on it for some odd reason. Guess they want to eventually sell it in 40 oz cans...

Just head south on Hover until you cross the diagonal. Take a left (east) on Pike which is the first intersection after Hover and Diagonal. It's on the left side in the big buildings just past the community college. If you go through the next intersection, you've gone too far.

Rake
05-15-2009, 16:00
Very fresh Pliny and Cantillon Vigneronne on tap at the Falling Rock today. Heaven.

augustgarage
05-16-2009, 00:24
Very fresh Pliny and Cantillon Vigneronne on tap at the Falling Rock today. Heaven.

The Elder or the Younger?

Rake
05-16-2009, 20:54
The Elder or the Younger?Elder. Although they had the Younger earlier this year and I had one then. It was almost unspeakably good.

ggilbertva
05-18-2009, 14:25
Enjoying an Shiner Bock while working through business financials.

smokinjoe
05-18-2009, 16:19
New Belgium's Fat Tire has finally made it to Jawjuh. So, I'm a sippin' on one right now. A kinda' cool sidenote is that the label has the following printed on the top of the label: "1st (Legal) Distribution Commemorative 'Georgia on My Ride'"

Do they do this on their bottles when they enter each new state? It's a nice touch.

DrinkyBanjo
05-19-2009, 06:23
The Elder or the Younger?

Does anyone have access to Pliny the Elder in bottles that would like to do a trade? I'll be happy to pony up whatever I can get in NJ that you can't get in your locality.

I need to try this beer!

funknik
05-19-2009, 06:27
New Belgium's Fat Tire has finally made it to Jawjuh. So, I'm a sippin' on one right now. A kinda' cool sidenote is that the label has the following printed on the top of the label: "1st (Legal) Distribution Commemorative 'Georgia on My Ride'"

Do they do this on their bottles when they enter each new state? It's a nice touch.
Joe! I'm so jealous! Fat Tire is my favorite beer. I will say that their breach of the Mississippi River is encouraging as they might find their way up to Maine sometime soon.

augustgarage
05-19-2009, 09:39
Does anyone have access to Pliny the Elder in bottles that would like to do a trade? I'll be happy to pony up whatever I can get in NJ that you can't get in your locality.

I need to try this beer!

I might be interested. I sent you a PM with details...

smokinjoe
05-19-2009, 10:37
Joe! I'm so jealous! Fat Tire is my favorite beer. I will say that their breach of the Mississippi River is encouraging as they might find their way up to Maine sometime soon.

I really like it too, Andy. They have it on tap at the hotel in Garden Grove, CA that I stay at, when I'm out there on business. You know what, though? I actually enjoy it more out of the bottle, as compared to draught. And, I've had several from each over the years. Go figure. It seems a little more crisp and flavorful from the bottle.

Well here's hoping that the march of FT doesn't go like Sherman's, and burn down Atlanta and head to the sea; but rather, heads north to Maine. :D
:toast:

augustgarage
05-19-2009, 12:57
I really like it too, Andy. They have it on tap at the hotel in Garden Grove, CA that I stay at, when I'm out there on business. You know what, though? I actually enjoy it more out of the bottle, as compared to draught. And, I've had several from each over the years. Go figure. It seems a little more crisp and flavorful from the bottle.

Well here's hoping that the march of FT doesn't go like Sherman's, and burn down Atlanta and head to the sea; but rather, heads north to Maine. :D

I've started seeing Fat Tire in cans lately...cheaper than the bottles and easier to take with you camping.

Seems strange that we can get most of the Allagash line in California, but New Belgium hasn't made it to Maine yet.

kickert
05-19-2009, 13:11

Fat Tire was my first beer when I turned 21. Had it at the Shady Nook in Salmon Idaho following my second day of helicopter crewmember training.

DeanSheen
05-20-2009, 20:47
http://www.stlbites.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/twohearted.jpg

OscarV
05-21-2009, 12:05
Ice cold Molson Golden.

nor02lei
05-21-2009, 14:04
Liberty ale.

Leif

DeanSheen
05-21-2009, 20:35
http://blog.flaminio.net/blogs/media/blogs/beer//Reds_Rye_6Pack_Front.jpg

funknik
05-22-2009, 10:31
I've started seeing Fat Tire in cans lately...cheaper than the bottles and easier to take with you camping.

Seems strange that we can get most of the Allagash line in California, but New Belgium hasn't made it to Maine yet.Our wedding photographer, a very dear friend of ours from Colorado, surprised me with a 12 pack of Fat Tire cans at our wedding reception and it was most welcome! I agree about them being more portable . . . I'd like to see more quality beers in cans.

As far as Fat Tire in Maine goes, I can only hope. When I lived in CO, the only East Coast microbrew available there was Allagash White, which I thought was amazing because there are so many craft breweries in New England. I have always understood it that New Belgium didn't come East of the Mississippi River like Coors in the Smokey & The Bandit days (although, admittedly, this is probably mostly hearsay and conjecture). Joe has given me hope with their presence in GA -- hopefully it will make it's way up here.

Quite a few New Englanders have lived in CO and vice-versa . . . it's like "New England West" . . . lots of Fat Tire fans up here also . . . come on, New Belgium . . . make it happen!

Josh
05-22-2009, 10:47
http://www.stlbites.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/twohearted.jpg

http://blog.flaminio.net/blogs/media/blogs/beer//Reds_Rye_6Pack_Front.jpg

Man after my own heart. Have you tried the Huma-Lupa-Licious from Short's in Bellaire, MI? Very good stuff.

funknik
05-22-2009, 11:03
Thanks, Joe -- that's not a Yankee joke, is it?

:slappin:

DeanSheen
05-22-2009, 11:26
Huma-Lupa-Licious from Short's in Bellaire, MI?

Nope, never heard of it. Michigan does do beer well, I'll give you guys that.

I'm going to SAVOR next weekend though I see they are not on the list.

We are going to make a pilgramage to Founders someday soon but it will have to be an overnighter since we plan on fully enjoying our stay.

http://www.savorcraftbeer.com/beers.html

smokinjoe
05-22-2009, 11:30
Thanks, Joe -- that's not a Yankee joke, is it?

:slappin:

We're not bitter....really....you know, about that whole War of Northern Aggression thing :D

Josh
05-22-2009, 11:35
Nope, never heard of it. Michigan does do beer well, I'll give you guys that.

I'm going to SAVOR next weekend though I see they are not on the list.

We are going to make a pilgramage to Founders someday soon but it will have to be an overnighter since we plan on fully enjoying our stay.

http://www.savorcraftbeer.com/beers.html

Wow that looks great!

If you're ever in the Detroit area or going to or from Ontario, I'd love to buy you a drink (or four) at my favorite pub in Downtown Detroit, Foran's Grand Trunk. They specialize in MI brews and usually have a dozen or so on tap. They've just started serving beer-infused ice cream too, including one made with that Arcadia Coco-Loco Stout that is on the SAVOR menu.

DeanSheen
05-22-2009, 11:38
Thanks Josh.

We were thinking of coming up this weekend for the Electronica festival downtown but our dance card filled up fast.

Ditto if you come over here. I do need to make it to a game at Tiger Stadium one of these days.

This is our best beer place, about 3 miles from home.

Draft 20+ at all times: http://buckeyebeerengine.com/tap

Even more in bottles: http://buckeyebeerengine.com/bottle

Josh
05-22-2009, 11:50
Thanks Josh.

We were thinking of coming up this weekend for the Electronica festival downtown but our dance card filled up fast.

Ditto if you come over here. I do need to make it to a game at Tiger Stadium one of these days.

This is our best beer place, about 3 miles from home.

Draft 20+ at all times: http://buckeyebeerengine.com/tap

Even more in bottles: http://buckeyebeerengine.com/bottle

Looks great! I see that New Holland's Golden Cap saison is on the menu Savor too. That's my new favorite beer. If you like that style, you will not be disappointed.

Special Reserve
05-22-2009, 14:39
Josh,

Thanks for the tip on Foran's. I'll have to give them a try when I'm downtown. I usually go to The Traffic Jam, but I've been doing that for about 40 years. It's time for a change.

Will

gr8erdane
05-22-2009, 17:05
Was pondering driving down to Left Hand to refill my growler when I decided just to see what was new in my favorite local liquor store around the corner (there are three of them around the corner but Hover Crossing is the best stocked) and was perusing the domestic microbrew section when I spied in the single bottle section Blind Pig from Russian River. While it ain't a Pliny I seem to remember liking it so I had my Memorial Day Hops in order. Then I wanted something light if it gets hot and started talking to one of the beer distributors that was stocking his shelves. He recommended Southampton as a new offering that was "picky about which stores in Colorado it was going to be distributed from". OK, I bit. Picked up a Double White as my lighter fare for the impending heat. Almost even grabbed another favorite from up north, as Moose Drewl is now available in cans here! My wallet won that fight.

gothbat
05-25-2009, 20:09
Finally broke down and bought a bottle of Deus Brut des Flandres, I really wasn't impressed by it (especially at $28 a bottle (750ml)). I've had beer that was similar, Malheur Brut reserve, but this just isn't as good. It's got a sweet taste and smell that I definitely don't associate with Brut (I will admit, my experience with champagne and this style beer is quite limited so maybe my assumptions about this term are wrong...).
Now I'm working on a bottle of batch #3, the third batch of beer my friend and I made. This one was a huge disappointment especially considering the fact that both when we were brewing and bottling this stuff it really smelled like it would be our best so far! The theme on this one was hops and we definitely went too far as the finished product tastes like carbonated grapefruit juice. We used Cascade (bittering), Summit (bittering), and Strisselspalt (finishing) hops with a pale malt for this one. Despite the sediment on the bottom of the bottles and the fact that they've sat for about 5 months they still look as cloudy as the day they were bottled. Hopefully batch #4, a recipe for Midas Touch we got from a brewing book, will be much better! After this I'm switching to the 2nd to last bottle of batch #2, a wheat malt with Warrior (bittering) and Strisselspalt (finishing) hops that's much better than the third. This one was surprising as well because it seems like the wheat malt canceled out a lot of the biterness I expected from the Warrior hops.

nor02lei
05-29-2009, 02:20
I did drink a lot of good beer and one real bad one when I did visit Stockholm over the day a few days ago. The bad one was an 11 % double chocolate stout from some American microbrewery. I tasted enormously intense of cheap sweet chocolate and was very suffocating to drink. Much better was for instance Dales pale ale that you can trust in all cases. I did also try 2 matured beers. First one was an eisbock from a Swedish microbrewery called kåtisbocken 2005 the other one was Bigfoot 2001. Both were very mild and gentle compared to normal matured beers of the same kind. I do prefer the normal age version, but they were very interesting to taste still.

Leif

smokinjoe
05-29-2009, 14:15
Just finished my run, and am enjoying a Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat. And, it's really hittin' the spot. Nice and crisp. Finally starting to get a little heat, down here in Hotlanta. We've struggled to hit 80, with all the rain we've had. Buts, some low 80's recently. I'm glad to see it, though. I like it hot, particularly with a cold one waitin' for me in the fridge. :)

barturtle
05-29-2009, 14:44
Last night was a trip to a local beer bar and I started with a Clipper City Cat 5, followed that with a Lindemans Cuve Rene and then came come for a J.W.Lees 1998 Vintage Ale.

funknik
06-01-2009, 15:06
Got a hold of some Brooklyn Summer today - - one of my favorite summer beers . . . tasty in tandem with some Weller Special Reserve, the sunshine and the Grateful Dead.

Solomon2
06-02-2009, 19:29
Rock Light. More refreshing than CoorsL, MillerL, or the awful MichelobL. Though I would rather choose CoronaL for a light that tasted like the real thikng.

gr8erdane
06-04-2009, 00:24
Picked up a 12 pack of Deschutes Buzzsaw Brown today for an unheard of price of 11.99! Very drinkable this seasonal is making me sorry I picked it up way up in Fort Collins without buying them out at this price! Also picked up an Eisbock from Germany but it's too far from the computer for me to go and look at the label but the shelf marker said it was rated 98 by someone. Who am I to argue? Will update this post later when I've consumed it.

gr8erdane
06-04-2009, 00:26
Dales Pale Ale is made right here in Longmont Leif. Just another reason to come visit next time you make it to the States.

barturtle
06-04-2009, 05:27
Last night was Sierra Nevada Torpedo.

Lost Pollito
06-04-2009, 07:08
Last night I had an allagash confluence, and a daisy cutter from half acre in chicago. yummy.

nor02lei
06-04-2009, 14:38
Dales Pale Ale is made right here in Longmont Leif. Just another reason to come visit next time you make it to the States.

I wouldn’t mind visiting nether you nor the Oscar Blues brewery Dane!

Leif

texascarl
06-04-2009, 14:56
Fat Tire ale w/grilled cheese (havarti on pumpernickle) + potato/leek soup. Good combo.

dave ziegler
06-04-2009, 17:38
Tonight something new to me from Sam Adams! Blackberry Witbier very refreshing and easy to drink I think I have found a good one to enjoy in this warmer weather. Had a Long Trail Blackberry Wheat earlier tonight another nice smooth Bear I have grown to love Long Trail Beers!
Dave Z
-----------------------------------------------------

gothbat
06-04-2009, 19:14
A bit of batch #4, a Midas Touch clone. Never having tried a real Midas Touch I can't say how it compares to the real thing but this is pretty interesting and definitely good. It's probably because I made it and know exactly what's in it but I can taste pretty much all of the extra ingredients it has (honey, muscat, and safron). By far better than batch #3. Like all our beers this one seems to have a decent amount of alcohol in it, probably around 10%.
I wasn't going to try this until Sat. at the earliest (needs 1 - 3 weeks of priming) but when I got back from the stores there was a message from my friend saying that he'd broken down and tried it, he also said it was our best one yet so I had to. (Plus it seemed like a good way to kick off the 4 day weekend!) I think our next batch will be an attempt at a Saison ale and then when that is ready I'm probably going to take one bottle of each batch and do a big side by side with my friend (...and I do mean big, the only bottle I have from the first batch is a magnum!). :]

DrinkyBanjo
06-05-2009, 05:21
Tonight will be my first Pliny the Elder. Thanks to a kind hearted soul on this board I was able to trade for this as it's not available in NJ. Really looking forward to this!

Whiskey Willie
06-05-2009, 09:37
I'm slumming...Bought a six of PBR last night...

Josh
06-05-2009, 10:24
I'm slumming...Bought a six of PBR last night...

were they out of Millwaukee's Best?

gr8erdane
06-05-2009, 23:00
You mean they still make THE BEAST? Finally got around to opening my mystery bottle from a couple of nights ago, it's Kulmbacher Eisbach, imported to the US by Shelton Brothers of (not kidding) Belchertown, MA. At 9.2% it was a mouthful but extremely enjoyable. Close to my favorite import, Ayinger Celebrator though just didn't seem as complex. At 3 bucks a pop it's not going to be my go to beer but I really enjoyed this one.

Tonight I had a couple of the Buzzsaws and (gasp) a Coors. Hadn't had one forever so it was kind of a filler between beers. Not as watery as I remembered it though.

nor02lei
06-07-2009, 02:56
I did chare a 75 cl bottle of Rogue imperial stout 2007 with my lady partner last night. It was very, very good with lots of coffee, chocolate and quit a bit of hops as well. The finish was very long and there wasn’t anything disturbing from the 11,6 strength. Seemed perfectly aged.

Leif

Whiskey Willie
06-08-2009, 06:59
were they out of Millwaukee's Best?

Yep...they had MB Light, but I didn't want that...:cool:

Josh
06-08-2009, 07:14
Yep...they had MB Light, but I didn't want that...:cool:

Well a man has to have standards! And yes, the BEAST is alive and unwell, Dane.

gr8erdane
06-08-2009, 12:49
My tastebuds still have terrifying flashbacks of kegs and kegs of The Beast at parties when I went to Mizzou the second time around. I remember it tasting ok when it entered the mouth and then like someone put a dead possum in my mouth right afterward.

smokinjoe
06-08-2009, 18:37
Bell's Brewery from Michigan, is another micro that's recently come to Hotlanta. I'm thoroughly enjoying their Porter tonight. :yum:

wLw1849
06-08-2009, 19:16
i dunno the history or any thing but i have been loving some boddingtons ale:cool:

Whiskey Willie
06-09-2009, 09:52
Bell's Brewery from Michigan, is another micro that's recently come to Hotlanta. I'm thoroughly enjoying their Porter tonight. :yum:

Bell's is good stuff. Their line of stouts is excellent.

Vange
06-09-2009, 10:33
Lately I had:

Lees Harvest Ale - dessert beer, very good though. port like.
Ommehang Abbey Ale - a nice Belgian abbey style ale

Vange
06-09-2009, 10:36
Lately I had:

Lees Harvest Ale 2004 - dessert beer, very good though. port like.
Ommegang Abbey Ale - a nice Belgian abbey style ale, notes at home
Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter - good brew, smoky, some bitterness (not as much as their stout) and a tinge of sweetness at end, coffee, earthy

DeanSheen
06-09-2009, 20:08
After having it at Savor, we came home to find out that it was now available at home.

I took home a case of Session! Goes down like mothers milk, no glass required.

http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/session.cfm

http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/site_images/bg_body_session.jpg

nor02lei
06-10-2009, 22:12
I hade 2 Rasputin Russian imperial stouts left. Both stored a little over a year. I did make a porter steak out of one and drank the other yesterday. It tasted awesome and seemed perfectly aged. Me and my lady partner will eat the steak on Friday.

Leif

Lost Pollito
06-10-2009, 23:19
Tonight, I had a few to many Lagunitas Correction Ales, and finished with an Allagash Confluence yet again. Confluence is awesome.

Phischy
06-15-2009, 15:44
Was brewing yesterday for the first time in months and a buddy decided to break out some great beers.

First a brewed a single hop IPA (Cascades) part I of a V part series of single hopped beers. Split the 8gal batch to 2 fermenters and used WLP001 for 1 and WLP051 for the 2nd. be interesting to see how yeast affects an identical beer.

Then we drank:
Rochefort 10
Westy 8, then Westy 12
St. Bernardous Christmas, along with a 2yr old bottle of St. Berndarous 12
Lots of homebrew
World Wide Stout
Bell's expidition Stout
Bourbon County Stout
lil sumptin' sumptin'
Angel Share Bourbon and another of Brandy

and I think that's it, about 5 guys sharing samples.

DeanSheen
06-15-2009, 16:00
Had 2 left at the local.

I had it around xmas & happy to have it in June!

http://www.stonebrew.com/collaboration/081021.html

dean_martin
06-15-2009, 17:42
Had 2 left at the local.

I had it around xmas & happy to have it in June!

http://www.stonebrew.com/collaboration/081021.html

Cool! Stone's IPA was featured (along with several other IPAs) in this month's Bon Appetit magazine. Checked your link to see if Stone is available in my area and I should be able to find it in NW FL. A coincidental thanks is in order.

BTW, here are the IPAs featured in the article:
AleSmith, San Diego
Brooklyn Brewery East India Pale Ale
Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA
Founders Centennial
Green Flash Brewing Co. West Coast
Lagunitas
Maui Brewing Big Swell
Port Brewing Wipeout
Russian River Blind Pig
Stone IPA
Surly Brewing Furious
Victory HopDevil

I couldn't find any of these near me over the weekend, but I didn't cross state lines. I did pick up Terrapin Rye Pale Ale (Athens, GA) and Harpoon IPA. I'm taking the above list with me next trip to Pensacola.

DeanSheen
06-15-2009, 18:36
Didnt AL just get High ABV beers recently?

I'm a big Stone fan and as much as I like their IPA you gotta find the RUINATION. It's def. better and superb on draft if you can find it.

http://www.stonebrew.com/ruin/

Out of the other beers you posted I would rank Founders Centennial at the top followed by Dogfish.

Victory and Brooklyn do little for me and I detest Lagunitas anything. The rest I haven't had.

dean_martin
06-15-2009, 19:30
Didnt AL just get High ABV beers recently?

Yes, but I'm not finding much at retailers. I need to hit a couple of the bars in downtown Mobile. The stories in the paper quoted some owners who said they were lined up to get as much variety as they can.

Phischy
06-15-2009, 21:26
BTW, here are the IPAs featured in the article:
AleSmith, San Diego
Green Flash Brewing Co. West Coast
Lagunitas
Maui Brewing Big Swell
Port Brewing Wipeout
Russian River Blind Pig
Stone IPA

Most of these are So-Cal IPA's. All are excellent, I think the Green Flash West Coast is actually the best, followed up by Alesmith. I think Wipeout is also better than Stone.

Virus_Of_Life
06-15-2009, 23:43
Most of these are So-Cal IPA's. All are excellent, I think the Green Flash West Coast is actually the best, followed up by Alesmith. I think Wipeout is also better than Stone.

I'll have to look for Green Flash up here, I am pretty much on an IPA only kick lately. I mean bad too, it's either light beer, my favorite is Busch light, or something Hoppy as can be! Yeah, I know that seems real weird.

This weekend it was Pliny vs. Deschutes Red Chair IPA. Have to say Deschutes is really disappointing me lately, all this one tasted like was a more hoppy version of Mirror Pond. Also kind of makes me sad to see that Cali is brewing better IPAs than us Oregonians! My favorites so far are Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas and Pliny the Elder.

whskylvr
06-16-2009, 00:04
Christian,

How about a real hoppy Whiskey?

Charbay, have you tried it? If you are interested in trying it I can send you some when I return from my trip.

dean_martin
06-16-2009, 08:58

Thanks for your comments on these. Your insight is appreciated.

Phischy
06-16-2009, 09:19
I'll have to look for Green Flash up here, I am pretty much on an IPA only kick lately. I mean bad too, it's either light beer, my favorite is Busch light, or something Hoppy as can be! Yeah, I know that seems real weird.

This weekend it was Pliny vs. Deschutes Red Chair IPA. Have to say Deschutes is really disappointing me lately, all this one tasted like was a more hoppy version of Mirror Pond. Also kind of makes me sad to see that Cali is brewing better IPAs than us Oregonians! My favorites so far are Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas and Pliny the Elder.

Red Chair was a major dissappointment. However, Deschuttes cranks out the Abyss, XX, Mirror Mirror which are 3 outstanding beers. Pliny the Elder is pretty much the cream-de-la-cream of DIPA's. Also try Blind Pig by Russian River for a single IPA from that company.

No offense, but So Cal is the region that created the DIPA (head brewer of Russian River used to live in SD, then moved to Nor cal). We love our hoppy beers down here and nothing I've had in Oregon has yet to compare to my local brews in terms of kick-in-the-head hops!

augustgarage
06-16-2009, 11:41
I had the AleSmith IPA on tap the other week and thought it was one of the hop-heaviest beers I've ever had. Really potent. Very good, though not what I would call balanced.

Blind Pig is good (got a couple in the fridge right now), but I prefer Pliny the Elder or Dogfish Head 90 minute (each for different reasons). Passed up Green Flash on tap the other night as I was in the mood for stout.

Speaking of Oregonian IPAs, I had a Hop Henge Experimental by Deschutes the other day that was pretty tasty.

Not a giant fan of many NW IPAs, but am curious about Amnesia's Copacetic IPA, Indian Pelican Ale, Captured by Porches Invasive Species IPA, and Ninsaki Total Domination...wonder if any of these stack up to Russian River or Dogfish Head?

Josh
06-16-2009, 11:45
Enjoying an Arcadia Sky High Rye (http://www.arcadiaales.com/beers/shr.html) ale at my favorite bar which I just discovered has wifi:grin:

kickert
06-16-2009, 19:56
Flying Dog Barley Wine.

nor02lei
06-16-2009, 23:47
Brooklyn black chocolate stout 2008 instead of dessert yesterday. Yummy!

Leif

smokinjoe
06-19-2009, 08:52
While in Columbus, OH this week on business, I annihilated Hyde Park's Steakhouse and Champp's Restaurant supply of Great Lakes Brewings Dortmunder Gold Lager. Wow, is that a delicious brew.
I got a feeling I'm going to be hitting up my bourbon brethren in Cleveland for a favor around KBF time. :D Which one of you has a van? ;)

barturtle
06-19-2009, 09:12
While in Columbus, OH this week on business, I annihilated Hyde Park's Steakhouse and Champp's Restaurant supply of Great Lakes Brewings Dortmunder Gold Lager. Wow, is that a delicious brew.
I got a feeling I'm going to be hitting up my bourbon brethren in Cleveland for a favor around KBF time. :D Which one of you has a van? ;)

You can get Great Lakes' beers in KY.

smokinjoe
06-19-2009, 09:24
You can get Great Lakes' beers in KY.

Cool! I guess I'll be the one traveling via van, then!

funknik
06-19-2009, 09:58
I'm loving the Summer Wacko by Magic Hat . . . brewed and colored with beets!!! Crazy! I got one in a bar and it looked like red Kool Aid but tasted delicious! . . . it was not until I bought a six pack that I saw the label where it mentions the beets. Very good brew, though . . . light, smooth, sweet and bready.

MissingKY
06-19-2009, 20:24
I'm having Lagunitas' Black Rain stout. It's pretty tasty stuff.

Lost Pollito
06-19-2009, 21:49
I had 2 Three Floyd's Dreadnaught on tap tonight. High alcohol, high hops, I'm happy.

Eth3rStrik3r
06-20-2009, 16:25
Currently drinking a Franziskaner Hefeweizen, it is fantastic.

dean_martin
06-21-2009, 19:53
Currently drinking a Franziskaner Hefeweizen, it is fantastic.

that's one of our favorite wheat beers. my wife and I first tried it in a little Bavarian style bar in Helen, GA.

This weekend I had a Stone IPA, Dogfish Head 60min IPA, and Sierra Neveda Torpedo Extra IPA - all were very good and extra hoppy. Followed the Torpedo with an Abita Purple Haze (which is usually a "starter" for me) and it tasted like water.

smokinjoe
06-22-2009, 14:40
A nice little Summer thunderstorm rolling through. Watching it all happen with a New Belgium "Mothership Wit" Wheat Beer. It's OK, but there are other beers of this style that I've enjoyed more. Of the 3 NB brews that have made it to this market (Fat Tire, 1554, and Mothership), this one is a distant third in the line-up.
Deans and E3's mention of the Franziskaner Hefeweizen, has me hankerin' for my favorite German hef...Weihenstephaner. My longtime German neighbor, Walter, introduced me to it last Summer. I immediately loved it.

OscarV
06-22-2009, 14:49
Man it is humid in the Mitten today and going to get worse as the week rolls on.
So I picked up a six of Molson Golden and I got it ice cold, (yeah kinda like Andre 2000), it brings the blood temperature down.
Hey Ya!

Josh
06-22-2009, 14:56
Man it is humid in the Mitten today and going to get worse as the week rolls on.
So I picked up a six of Molson Golden and I got it ice cold, (yeah kinda like Andre 2000), it brings the blood temperature down.
Hey Ya!

whatever you do, don't shake it like a polaroid picture.:lol:

OscarV
06-22-2009, 15:07
Yeah Josh, Greyhound don't float on water.

gr8erdane
06-23-2009, 09:56
I'd never tasted a 100 rated ale before. Decided that it was time to change that. All the domestic 100s were pricey but I picked up a bottle of Abbaye des Rocs Brune by Brassserie de l'Abbaye des Rocs, a Belgian product and gave her a go. Wow. Very complex with a lot of things happening in my mouth. The dominant flavor I got was apricot both in the nose and in the mouth. When I poured it it seemed like it came out in chunks, a first for me. Then at the bottom of the glass it became apparent and became very chewy which I absolutely loved. A meal in a bottle. I don't know that I'd personally rate it 100 but it was at least in the high 90s.

dean_martin
06-23-2009, 14:39
When do we start the Summer thread? First sighting of Sierra Nevada Summerfest '09 over the weekend (only 2 sixers in wet cardboard at the bottom of the cooler so I passed...this time). Last year's version made for a great tailgating brew in September. Will pick up this year's soon.

texascarl
06-23-2009, 18:36
New release from KC's boulevard brewery, just on the shelf today - their Boulevard Pilsner. Nice, 'round' lager, malty. Hops are there, but not overpowering (and these guys can overpower w/hops if you'll let 'em). Balanced is a good adjective, tastes like a beer my Grandpa would love. I like it too. For the record, it disappears like freaking magic.

dave ziegler
06-24-2009, 06:13
Last night it was samual Adams Blackberry witbier and it is a very nice beer to say the least.
It surprised me how good it was for summer drinking.
Dave Z
-------------------------------------------------------------
Beer Its Not Just A beverage beer Is Food

smokinjoe
06-26-2009, 06:02
I don't care what anybody says about the beer. But, there's something just "right" about sitting on the beach, staring out at the water, and drinking an ice cold Corona. And, that's exactly what I did yesterday. And, what I'm gonna do today...And, tomorrow...

dean_martin
06-26-2009, 08:10
I don't care what anybody says about the beer. But, there's something just "right" about sitting on the beach, staring out at the water, and drinking an ice cold Corona. And, that's exactly what I did yesterday. And, what I'm gonna do today...And, tomorrow...

quite apropos. To me, Kalik has a similar "rightness" at the beach. Kalik made its way from the Bahamas to Florida and may be available elsewhere now.

nor02lei
06-29-2009, 16:07
Me and my lady partner did share a Rogue imperial india pale ale 2007 yesterday with very spicy outdoor grilled pork spareribs. Real nice indeed!

Leif

callmeox
06-29-2009, 19:03
A cold Yuengling is hitting the spot after taking in most of a minor league baseball game.

Josh
06-29-2009, 19:20
A cold Yuengling is hitting the spot after taking in most of a minor league baseball game.

Don't be so hard on the Indians, Scott.

callmeox
06-29-2009, 19:23
See, Detroit wins a few games and they get all cocky. :slappin:

Luckily, we can pick from minor league ball at major league prices (Progressive Field) or minor league ball at minor league prices (http://lakecounty.captains.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t437). We chose the latter.

gr8erdane
07-01-2009, 07:36
Last night I popped the cap on another "100" I picked up yesterday. Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co in Fort Bragg, CA. Rich coffee dominated this black as coal gem with dark chocolate flavor that really sticks with you. Still not a personal 100 but one of the best RIS I've had so far.

Jono
07-01-2009, 21:40
Watching Gordon Ramsay's "F Word" show (7/1/09 episode) and he was selecting a beer to go with veal....he went to a tavern with a large selection and in speaking with owner and eating veal he finally came up with "Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Beer" (bourbon barrel) from Scotland. He selected it due to the carmelized taste and lack of significant aftertaste bitterness. Has anyone tried this one?

http://www.innisandgunn.com/foodmatching.htm
"The oak imparts a creamy smooth palate and the kind of complex, diverse flavours you might be more used to experiencing in a good wine. This makes it a natural match with a wide range of foods."

Not sure if it is available outside of NY or CT.

Additional item...they make the beer at his house....they have a small beer maker outside and they add the grains and water for the wort, add hops etc. then they will age it in the barrel for 6 weeks. Very nice set up.

gr8erdane
07-01-2009, 22:10
Haven't seen it here.

Tonight I'm trying Witch's Wit by The Lost Abbey from Port Brewing Company in San Marcos, CA. This one didn't have a shelf rating but almost everything from this brewery was highly rated. Nothing special about this witbier to garner a high rating. Not bad but pretty much run of the mill.

DeanSheen
07-01-2009, 22:10
I had the Innis @ Traflager Square (sp) a couple years back when we had lunch. I loved it. It's one of the classic "whiskey beers" I've had where it's like a shot and a beer in one bottle.

It's pretty dry finish, but you can taste the whiskey influence. Unfortunatly it's not available in Ohio.

My other favorite whiskey beer was Founders Black Rye but they arent making that anymore.

Jono
07-01-2009, 22:26
Here is some nice info on the Innis & Gunn

http://www.anconaswine.com/sku15010.html?utm_source=Google%20Products&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=INNIS%20&%20GUNN%2011OZ%20OAK%20AGED%20BEER

"For 30 days this honey-hued beer sleeps in hand selected oak barrels, locked inside a bonded warehouse, gradually assimilating the subtle flavours that reside in the wood. Barrels are then emptied and maturation continues for a further 47 days in a marrying tun where these natural flavours infuse and fall into perfect balance. This 77-day process is unique and produces a delicious, refreshing beer: Aromas of vanilla and toffee, hints of citrus, with a malty, lightly oaked,palate. Deftly balanced and light in texture, soothing and warming in the finish." ~ (Brewery Notes)

I could by it for $4.69 but it would cost $13.72 to ship....total $18.41.

dean_martin
07-02-2009, 07:54
finally picked up a sixer of Sierra Nevada Summerfest '09. This crisp lager is a nice change of pace from the IPAs I've been trying lately and it's a pleasurable icey cold brew in the heat.

despite that pleasant change of pace, I've really enjoyed the Stone IPA which is new to me. Poured into a pint glass with smoked gouda to nibble on it excites my taste buds. After my first sip, I instinctively went to the fridge looking for a good cheese and it worked. Compared to other IPAs I've tried of late (SN Torpedo and Dogfish head 60 min), the Stone seems to have a touch of sweetness (the malt?) in the finish that compliments the cheese. I have a 22oz bottle of Ruination waiting in the fridge for the right moment.

I'm torn. I feel like I'm neglecting my bourbon, but at the same time I'm envious of you left-coasters with all those great craft beers at your fingertips.

DeanSheen
07-02-2009, 08:52
Glad you made it to the party Dean!

Dont let those left coasters fool you, we have most of their stuff at our fingertips here plus we get the East coast and central brews!

dean_martin
07-02-2009, 14:28
Glad you made it to the party Dean!

Dont let those left coasters fool you, we have most of their stuff at our fingertips here plus we get the East coast and central brews!

Thanks, Dean!

I'm finding some of the west coast crafts and I'm researching East and central. Alabama is slowly getting up to speed after passage of the "Free the Hops" law and because I'm on the state line w/Florida, I have a few places on the radar to search there.

StraightBoston
07-02-2009, 17:15
Big fan of the Innis and Gunn here (available in MA as well) -- down to my last two bottles actually.

smokinjoe
07-03-2009, 10:48
Just finished cutting the grass, and am sitting down with a Bell's Oberon Ale. Nice and clean. Running the Peachtree Road Race 10K tomorrow, so better start my hydration! ;)

Jono
07-03-2009, 20:42
For the 4th, I picked up this as one of my selections...have not tried it yet:

Rocky's Revenge Bourbon Brown

http://www.tyranena.com/beers/brown.htm

Review:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/784/20728

Tyranena Brewing (Wisconsin) Rocky's Revenge - a portion aged in bourbon barrels (?%).

Will report back.

Jono
07-05-2009, 13:50
Rocky's Revenge...most of the bourbon contribution is on the nose....you can pick out the barrel notes....on the palate...less so...it comes across as a pretty good brown ale.

I bought a few summertime collections...both Goose Island and Sam Adams along with a Leinenkugle Summer Shandy (beer + lemon can be refreshing) and Dogfish Head Shelter Pale Ale (rather light in taste).

HipFlask
07-06-2009, 20:25
Diggin a Moylan's Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale. yummy stuff. Also had a pair from New Glarus - Stone Soup and Uff-da Bock. the soup is their take on a Belgian Beer and has a sweetness to it. The Bock is the better of the two and is pretty much a daily pour around here.

robbyvirus
07-06-2009, 21:50
I'm sipping on a Fuller's ESB. I had Fuller's on tap when I was in London last spring and it was awesome. The ESB, bottled for export, is pretty damn good as well. Smooth, flavorful, and a bit bitter.

smokinjoe
07-10-2009, 09:49
Poker night last night. So after finishing my giant pour of Old Fitz BIB, I moved on, to beer. Budweiser American Ale. IMO, this is a prime example of how good a beer a giant like AB can make. If someone would have given me this in some obscure micro-labeled bottle, I would have been impressed. In that it comes from A-B, has me astounded. I'm not a beer connoisseur/snob, so I have no problem with plain ol Bud. I drink it all the time. But, I also know where they butter their bread. Providing quality beer for the masses. Of which, they are the best in the world. This American Ale is targeted at a narrower, more discriminating target. And, I think they've done an impressive job of offering a nice product for it.

DeanSheen
07-10-2009, 10:58
The AA to me is way too malty. I can taste the "major" influence in it. I drink regular Bud all the time too but I'm trying to cut back. After watching the film "Beer Wars" it gets you thinking about where your dollars are going.

Last night I bought a single of the Flying Dog Wit, Woody Creek White. Not bad. Goes very good after a couple pours to change the pace up a bit. Isnt overly spiced either.

http://www.flyingdogales.com/images/woody_specifics.jpg

http://www.flyingdogales.com/images/beer-woody-bottle.jpg

smokinjoe
07-11-2009, 13:31
Picked up some Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier this afternoon, and am enjoying my second one, now. Gosh, I love this beer. This is the oldest brewery in the world, they claim. Since.....1040. :lol: 10...40. TEN-Forty. That's T.E.N. Say it....TEN-FORTY. One thousand forty. Like, almost, a THOUSAND years ago...I'm gonna have to ruminate on this one later, in Joey World, with an Ancient Ancient Age 10 year...

1040.... :lol:

One.....thousand......forty......:lol::lol:

DeanSheen
07-11-2009, 14:21
I go back and forth between the Weinstephaner and the Franziskaner.

There is a kind that only comes in 16oz flip top singles they sell here that is very good also (German).

Now get yourself some veal sausage and a pretzel and you can have Bavarian breakfast tmrw!

TBoner
07-11-2009, 16:03
Weihenstephaner and Schneider Weisse are my two hefeweizen mainstays. The latter would be in strong contention for my desert island beer (but Saison Dupont would win out).

Today I had a Pabst post-yard work. Get past the hipster irony, and it's a very good version of macro-swill. Actual hop character, well-balanced, and quite quenching.

Now I'm having a Bridgeport IPA (another must-have for me). I'll probably move on to bourbons next, but I may indeed take a run at a Westmalle Tripel instead.

Regards,
Tim

smokinjoe
07-11-2009, 18:22
It was cheese grits and green fried tomatoes along with a bacon wrapped trout, instead of that great sounding veal sausage and pretzel. Even brought some home for breakfast. :D Oh, chewy, salty German pretzels. :yum: Extra mustard for me, please!

I love the clove hit in the Weihenstephaner. Robert and Tim, how do the Franziskaner and Schneider compare, using the Wei as a base-line? I'm really liking these hefs in the Summer. It's a new thing for me, since last Summer. Always looking for new recs.

TBoner
07-11-2009, 18:41
Joe, Schneider is more amber in color, with a similar palate to the Weihenstephaner, except a bit more rich. Unlike, say, Paulaner, which is a pure banana beer for me, to the point that I dislike it, Weihen. and Schneider are in balance, tilting a bit toward the phenol (clove) and away from the ester (banana). There's an orange haze to Schneider Weisse, which must come from a decoction mash or a big hit of Vienna malt, making it a bit toasty and rich, yet still fully quenching. I thought I hated hefeweizen until I tasted Schneider Weisse. Now I know better.

Regards,
Tim

dave ziegler
07-13-2009, 09:39
It was cheese grits and green fried tomatoes along with a bacon wrapped trout, instead of that great sounding veal sausage and pretzel. Even brought some home for breakfast. :D Oh, chewy, salty German pretzels. :yum: Extra mustard for me, please!

I love the clove hit in the Weihenstephaner. Robert and Tim, how do the Franziskaner and Schneider compare, using the Wei as a base-line? I'm really liking these hefs in the Summer. It's a new thing for me, since last Summer. Always looking for new recs.
Hey Joe Give Long Trail brewing Hef weiss a try it is one really good one from VT. I also am enjoying lots of Hef weis beers this summer. Also some with fruit such as the Sam Adams Black Berry witbeir. Victory brewing In Downing Town pa makes a real good Hef Weis also. Troges from Harrisburg pa also has a nice Hef Weis.
Dave Z
-------------------------------------------------------

smokinjoe
07-13-2009, 14:21
Hey, it's 5 o'clock some...wait...it's 5 o'clock here! Well, I'll not waste any more time getting started on a SweetWater Brewing's seasonal, "Road Trip".

HipFlask
07-13-2009, 17:25
I got to welcome new California Brew to Wisconsin. Moylan's Kilt Lifter Scotch Sysle Ale. It weighs in at 8.0 ABV and came in 1 pint 6oz Bottle. It was very tasty an really blossomed as it got warmer. It has a malty sweetness to it and a nice touch of hops. It paired really well with a 5year sharp cheddar cheese. What can I say I am after all from Wisconsin. And it went eqaully well with a dinner of chicken tenderlions, garlic cloves, beets, spinich and apple sauce out on the deck. A Very nice beer that will find its way in my frig.

ddubb
07-14-2009, 02:14
My wife and I were hosting one other couple, I figured 3 choices of beer would more than suffice. One of my stand-bys, Warsteiner, was already in the fridge. German, technically a pilsner, but in my mind, just barely. Its a great entry level pilsner, not too intense with flavors associated with pilsners, and it tastes just as good fridge-cold where as a true pilsner is supposed to be served about half way between room temperature and fridge-chilled.

I picked up my wife's current favorite, Amstel Light, a great summer beer. Its a very balanced, middle-the-road type of flavor; sort of what most people think of when they think generically of "BEER". However, its not at all lite, despite the name. For several months I just thought the term "Light" in the name referred to the color, as Amstel has some sort of amber beer. Expressing this to my wife one day, she corrected me and insisted that Amstel Light actually is a true light beer. You'd never guess that in a blind taste test.

The flavor is full bodied, but its balanced style is a real crowd pleaser and pairs well with just about any food. Its very crisp so is especially good with smoky and greasy foods; think barbecue.

Either of the above mentioned beer would be fine with the meal, which was pork filet mignon (btw, done on the stove, not bbq), mashed potatoes with gravy.

For the third choice I wanted another middle-of-the road, simple, crowd pleaser, like the Amstel Light, but less intense; a simple, basic American beer. In case someone finds imports a bit much. But I simply cannot bring myself to allow Miller/Bud etc onto my property.

I've found that lately, New Glarus Spotted Cow is very popular, almost everyone I've met likes it on some level. I don't have a problem with it.

Until I checked the price, and found that it costs more to import this beer from Monroe WI to Madison WI, a trip of 45 miles, than it does to buy either of the first two beers that are imported from Germany and Netherlands respectively.

I hope HipFlask doesn't take offense but I just couldn't do it. Its been a while since I've had one of Wisconsin's local budget beers. I've liked most of them on some level at some point in my life. After considering Point, Pabst, Blatz and a few others I finally settled on Leinenkugel's... their basic brew. It was a decent enough choice.

Just so no one thinks I'm exclusively into the inoffensive crowd pleasers... the second two beers are great choices when you're not sure what people will like. The Warsteiner I just picked up on a whim, I like it.

My first choice of all beers would be an authentic German pilsner; creamy, bitter, cool but not cold with a tall lingering head. Something in the style of Pilsner Urquel.

HipFlask, I'm curious to hear what you thought about your Bitburger. Its been many years since I've had one. I went through a "Bitburger" phase many years ago.

nor02lei
07-16-2009, 08:16
I did have Brooklyn black chocolate stout together with a sticky chocolate cake yesterday for dessert for the second day in a row. The combination really improves both the beer and the cake.

Leif

nor02lei
07-17-2009, 07:43
Yesterday I had Liberty ale, Brooklyn black chocolate stout, punk IPA and Paradox smoke head. The last 2 from the excellent Scottish microbrewery brew dog. Paradox is an imperial stout (10 %) that has been matured in an Islay cask and it is very smoky and real good. Microbreweries are popping up all over the world, as it seems.

Leif

smokinjoe
07-17-2009, 07:56
Yesterday I had Liberty ale, Brooklyn black chocolate stout, punk IPA and Paradox smoke head. The last 2 from the excellent Scottish microbrewery brew dog. Paradox is an imperial stout (10 %) that has been matured in an Islay cask and it is very smoky and real good. Microbreweries are popping up all over the world, as it seems.

Leif

What, no dessert this time Leif? :D That Paradox sounds interesting.

Anchor's Summer beer for me, last night. An odd little gem.

dave ziegler
07-17-2009, 17:24
Tonight I am drinking Appalachian Brewings Water Gap wheat it is a really Nice wheat beer and very smooth to drink. I am drinking it with some Jack Daniels Black Label!
Dave Z
-------------------------------------------------

nor02lei
07-18-2009, 01:03
What, no dessert this time Leif? :D

We did have the last out of the chocolate cake with the chocolate stout Joe. Do you think I am on a diet or something?

Leif

Phischy
07-19-2009, 13:59
Went to a 'wood aged' beer tasting last Friday, this was the lineup:

1) Alesmith BA Decadence 2007 (courtesy of James)
2) Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad
3) Bruery 100% Rye Whiskey Papier
4) Bullfrog Oak Aged El Rojo Diablo (sour belgian imperial red in cabernet sauvignon barrels)
5) Bullfrog Magic Beans (sour dark saison with belgian chocolate and vanilla beans)
6) Cascade (I have Cuvee du Jongleur, Apricot Lambic, The Vine, and Sang Royale...we'll pick one or two based on what shows up at Sourfest)
7) Cigar City 110k+OT Batch 2 (Indian Russian Imperial Stout aged on toasted spanish cedar)
8) Flossmoor Station Wooden Hell
9) Great Divide 15th Anniversary Wood Aged DIPA
10) Great Lakes Barrel Aged Blackout Stout (courtesy of Chris "Cloudskipper")
11) Hair of the Dog Fred from the Wood 2008
12) Hoppin Frog Barrel Aged Boris the Crusher (courtesy of Chris "Cloudskipper")
13) Jolly Pumpkin Bier de Mars Grand Reserve
14) Marin Heaven Hill Barrel Dipsea
15) Marin Old Fitzgerald Barrel Dipsea
16) New Holland Oak Aged Pilgrim's Dole Wheatwine
17) Southern Tier Oak Aged Unearthly DIPA
18) Three Floyds/Dogfish Head Popskull (imperial brown with palo santo wood)

The best beer of the night for me was Marin Heaven Hill Dipsea. That was utterly fantastic, must have had a lot of bourbon or just a cherry barrel because it was just awesome. Not a fan of the sours overall though.

smokinjoe
07-20-2009, 12:00
We did have the last out of the chocolate cake with the chocolate stout Joe. Do you think I am on a diet or something?

Leif

:D Glad to hear your not on a diet. Your dessert posts are almost as good sounding as the whiskies and beer you're drinking. BTW, Happy Birthday! What kind of birthday cake will it be?

OscarV
07-20-2009, 12:11
Believe it or not but today I had my first Red Stripe.
I have always avoided this beer because as you know it is brewrd in Jamaica.
With their hot humid weather I always assumed that the beer would be light to suit the locals who live in that climate.
I was right, it is light but it does have an underlying malt and hops flavor that makes it better than almost all the big domestic national brands.

nor02lei
07-22-2009, 09:48
:D Glad to hear your not on a diet. Your dessert posts are almost as good sounding as the whiskies and beer you're drinking. BTW, Happy Birthday! What kind of birthday cake will it be?

As it was my birthday I had 2 desserts Joe. Soft almond cake with ORVW 10-107 and hazelnut ice cream with WT 8 years.

Leif

nor02lei
07-25-2009, 11:37
I did go to my beer club pub in a neighbour very small city today. Normally it is
closed in the summer, but today it was open not only to members but to the general public.
I had some real good micro beer from Swedish and Danish breweries, including fullmaktsporter 2007 and kaggens fullmaktsporter 2007 from Närkes kulturbryggeri.
I look forward for the micro beer festival at the same place in October!

Leif

ggilbertva
07-30-2009, 07:26
Enjoyed some "normal" beer offerings while on vacation but I picked up a four pack of Belhaven Scottish Ale last night. Really smooth, delicuous beer. Of all places, I picked it up at the local Piggly Wiggly.

Sijan
07-30-2009, 07:41
Last night it was Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock, while cleaning out my old apartment.

HipFlask
07-31-2009, 09:15
I have been mixing it up lately. I had 3 differnt German Dunkles. Spaten München Dunkel, Warsteiner Dunkel and the best of the bunch a bottle conditioned Zötler Korbinian Dunkel. Last night I hit the IPA's again Starting with a Dogfish 90 Minute IPA, Sweetwater IPA, and a shorty Meantime IPA. Tonight I start vacation so I might hit the bourbon GTS08 followed by whatever beer strikes my fancy.

Sijan
07-31-2009, 09:39
I like Dunkels a lot. Where did you find the Zötler Korbinian Dunkel? Any idea what sort of places normally carry it or if it's available on the East Coast?

nor02lei
08-01-2009, 08:16
Brew dog punk IPA with the spicy chilli for dinner yesterday and Timmermans kriek with the rhubarb pie for dessert. Both were good combinations.
Big day today. The Swedish government store did release Bigfoot 2009 in some of their stores. Yvonne and me did go to the next city this morning and I bought 42 and she bought 12. Not bad concerning the hole Sweden only got 6000 bottles. I got one 2008 left so we will do a side by side some day soon.

Leif

smokinjoe
08-01-2009, 17:32
Just returned from the Braves game, and savored our victory over the Dodger's, with a Bell's Kalamazoo Stout in a mug pulled from the freezer. Very yummy. Roasted coffee and dark chocolate hints abound. Velvety tan head when swirled towards the end. Another outstanding effort from this terrific brewery. I'm very glad that Bell's has made it to here, Down South.

nor02lei
08-02-2009, 11:30
Yvonne and me had a side by side of Bigfoot 2008 and 2009 tonight. Both were very good but a bit different. 2008 was more aromatic on the nose and much sweeter and bigger on the plate. The 2009 were dryer and more bitter in general. We agreed that 2008 was better on the nose and 2009 better in the finish and that 2009 was maybe the slightly better all over out of the 2.
Later we had a Belgium try for a double IPA with our chilli for dinner. “Chouffe Houblon dobbelen IPA tripel”. Enormous difference from the 2 Americans. Very light but a little sweet body and very pale collar. The hoops did go thru relatively nice due to the light body and it was drinkable but of an enormously lower class than the Americans of cause. Very peculiar why they in this case and so often do 9 % beer that taste like a 5 % one. I don’t understand the point of it.
Is malt shortage goods in Belgium?

Leif

dean_martin
08-03-2009, 14:46
yesterday while grillin' I had
1 Sierra Nevada Summerfest
1 Bells Oberon
1 SN Torpedo
1 Dogfish Head 60 min. IPA

have a 4-pk of St. Bernardus Abt 12 waiting in the wings. Picked this up Sat. in my home state - first purchase of high abv beer since "free the hops" law passed! Now I don't HAVE to sneak into Florida.

augustgarage
08-03-2009, 18:35
Currently nursing an unusual but delicious Saison from The Lost Abbey - "Red Barn Ale." Witbier, Saison, and Hefeweizen are my favorite style for Summer.

Other notable tastings:

Recently had Stone smoked porter w/vanilla bean from a fresh cask - which rivals the best chocolate stouts for dessert in a glass status.

Tried my first rye beer last week (Rum runner rye (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/559/51049) from San Francisco's Speakeasy Brewery) as well...

nor02lei
08-04-2009, 13:36
Big foot 2008 with outdoor grilled spicy pork, baked potato and green pepper butter and garlic butter. Excellent indeed!

Leif

PAspirit1
08-04-2009, 13:45
We took some Blue Moon down the shore. I like it alot - it's super smooth.

ODaniel
08-09-2009, 19:12
So far tonight:

Three Floyds Gumballhead
Three Floyds Alpha King
Bell's Third Cost Old Ale - dark red, malty, big (10.5% abv) and "vintage" tasting. I think a bourbon barrel of this would be amazing.

DeanSheen
08-09-2009, 20:45
http://www.stonebrew.com/cali/index.php

ggilbertva
08-11-2009, 15:03
Allagash Dubbel. Super good.

HipFlask
08-11-2009, 15:30
I like Dunkels a lot. Where did you find the Zötler Korbinian Dunkel? Any idea what sort of places normally carry it or if it's available on the East Coast?

I found it at a small country Beer and Wine store that was advertised in a movie theater before the show. It is the only place I have ever come across it. I will be asking a more local store if they can get me some. If I get some more I'll send some your way.

ggilbertva
08-12-2009, 13:52
Went digging in the back of the refrig and found a Hofbrau Munchen Oktoberfest. Forgot I had it and now I'm drinking it. :grin:

Phantos
08-13-2009, 20:58
New Belgium Trippel tonight.

OscarV
08-14-2009, 14:27
Kasey Kahne is in town here for the race on Sunday.
So you would think I am having a Budweiser.
But no.
WT 101 over cracked ice.

ODaniel
08-14-2009, 17:13
I will be drinking my Kentucky Common, Extra Stout, and Pale Ale tonight.

Josh
08-15-2009, 13:37
I will be drinking my Kentucky Common, Extra Stout, and Pale Ale tonight.

Enjoying an Ommegang on a steamy Saturday afternoon. I poured myself a small glass but then I noticed there was only a little bit left, so I was forced to drink the rest.

smokinjoe
08-16-2009, 13:35
It didn't start off too terribly hot here today, but the clouds melted away and the sun has come out, sending the temps to 90. Started with a poorly executed 4 mile run, but just finished up with a crisp 20 mile bike ride. Rewarding my good cycling with a Fat Tire Ale. That little biscuity thing going on in it, is really nice. I can't think of another beer that has it. I continue to like this in the bottle better than on tap, though. I think the biscuity notes become a little funky if the beer on tap is a little old? Dunno. :confused:

Josh
08-16-2009, 14:32
Went to a local brewpub today called Copper Canyon and met up with my boy Will aka Special Reserve.

He had one of their seasonal offerings, their porter and I had a short glass of their summer wheat and then a short glass of the porter. Both good, the wheat was really unique.

Beer is good, beer with a friend, better. :D

unclebunk
08-18-2009, 08:53
I recently returned from a trip to upstate New York and visited the Cooperstown Brewing Company in Milford. I picked up a six pack of each of their offerings but have been particulary impressed with the Nine Man Ale. Goes nicely with Elmer T. Lee, I might add.

cas
08-19-2009, 04:02
Went to a local brewpub today called Copper Canyon and met up with my boy Will aka Special Reserve.

He had one of their seasonal offerings, their porter and I had a short glass of their summer wheat and then a short glass of the porter. Both good, the wheat was really unique.

Beer is good, beer with a friend, better. :D

Where is the Copper Canyon - I haven't heard of this one?
I had a bottle of Dragons Milk from the MI New Holland brewery this weekend. Dark, malty, lightly-hopped. Highly recommended.
Craig

Josh
08-19-2009, 06:48
Where is the Copper Canyon - I haven't heard of this one?
I had a bottle of Dragons Milk from the MI New Holland brewery this weekend. Dark, malty, lightly-hopped. Highly recommended.
Craig

I'll have to check that out.

Copper Canyon is in Southfield, around 11 mile & Lahser/NWestern HWY

nor02lei
08-20-2009, 12:18
I did go for an eating and drinking day trip to Stockholm yesterday and had some good beers. Mostly Swedish micro but also Titan IPA and Goose island bourbon county stout. I believe Monks café is the only places were they have this stout in Sweden. They give you a chocolate truffle for free when you order it and it tasted as usual very good. When I have had it 2 or 3 times before I think it was about 11 % alc but this time it was 13. I think it must be very craftsmen like when the alcohol level differ that much between different batches.

Leif

DrinkyBanjo
08-20-2009, 13:49
I had a Ramstein Maibock last weekend. Ramstein is a wheat beer brewer based in NJ. I had this one on draft and it was excellent. Really nice beer with lots of great flavors. I need to try more of their beers but they are a bit hard to find even in NJ.

jesskidden
08-21-2009, 01:28
I need to try more of their beers but they are a bit hard to find even in NJ.

Ain't it a b*tch, too? NJ- one of the smallest states in area (so distribution shouldn't be too hard) yet one of the largest in both population density and per capita income (so, lots of potential customers for craft beer) but with only 5 actual craft breweries (as opposed to brewpubs) - most have very limited available throughout the state. In central NJ, I don't think I've ever seen High Point or Cricket Hill beers on tap, and Climax is pretty rare, as well.

A new "craft beer bar" (or, at least, an attempt at one- they've gone so far as call themselves a "microbrewery" even tho' there's no brewing on site- The Cellar Lounge (http://www.thecellarlounge.com/) ) opened in Hamilton, NJ. When I suggested to them (over on Beer Advocate) that with 15 taps, they should concentrate on getting some NJ crafts, the reply implied they'd consider getting a Flying Fish *or* River Horse beer. In the meantime they have 3 different Magic Hat beers on tap, and 7 different A-B-InBev beers. (And, yeah, A-B's got a brewery in Newark...).

DrinkyBanjo
08-21-2009, 05:22
Ain't it a b*tch, too? NJ- one of the smallest states in area (so distribution shouldn't be too hard) yet one of the largest in both population density and per capita income (so, lots of potential customers for craft beer) but with only 5 actual craft breweries (as opposed to brewpubs) - most have very limited available throughout the state. In central NJ, I don't think I've ever seen High Point or Cricket Hill beers on tap, and Climax is pretty rare, as well.

A new "craft beer bar" (or, at least, an attempt at one- they've gone so far as call themselves a "microbrewery" even tho' there's no brewing on site- The Cellar Lounge (http://www.thecellarlounge.com/) ) opened in Hamilton, NJ. When I suggested to them (over on Beer Advocate) that with 15 taps, they should concentrate on getting some NJ crafts, the reply implied they'd consider getting a Flying Fish *or* River Horse beer. In the meantime they have 3 different Magic Hat beers on tap, and 7 different A-B-InBev beers. (And, yeah, A-B's got a brewery in Newark...).

Luckily by me (Morristown area) I have a few options within driving distance. I can get a lot of good micros on tap and have great selections of everything available to NJ at local liquor stores. I usually find River Horse and Flying Fish but rarely any of the smaller ones. Don't know why.

smokinjoe
08-21-2009, 16:26
Picked up a large bottle of Lagunitas Hop Stoopid Ale. Enjoying it very much, right now. Very "piney". It's very chewy. Kinda rye breadish. Extremely long finish. This is seriously good beer.

ODaniel
08-22-2009, 20:02
Dark Lord, Ithaca 10, and some Saison from 1995. All amaaaazing.

SBOmarc
08-24-2009, 16:56
A local brew from Hangar 24. They are using local ingredients and this Orange Wheat expression recounts the Citrus industry that used to dominate the Riverside area. Refreshing and quite easy to drink.

spun_cookie
08-25-2009, 15:38
Remarkable Vanilla Porter by Breckenridge
Lion Stout from Sri Lanka
Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown
Cut throat porter by Odell

Hit a nice liquor store here in the Denver area and they have a great selection of Bourbon and beer... Good prices on the BTAC ($61) and the ORVW 10/107 is $28... I think that is a good price...

Next I head to the GraterDanes.

unclebunk
08-25-2009, 15:41
Just came back from Wisconsin with several excellent beers from the New Glarus Brewery. Digging the Spotted Cow right now!

OscarV
08-25-2009, 15:41
Remarkable Vanilla Porter by Breckenridge
Lion Stout from Sri Lanka
Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown
Cut throat porter by Odell

Oh c'mon, your'e just making these names up.

cas
08-26-2009, 03:55
Just came back from Wisconsin with several excellent beers from the New Glarus Brewery. Digging the Spotted Cow right now!

The New Glarus Beers are excellent. Too bad they aren't more widely available.
Craig

nor02lei
09-06-2009, 07:58
I did have my normally favourite Swedish micro IPA yesterday. It is called Amarillo in it comes from a very small brewery on Sweden’s second biggest island. However this bottle didn’t taste as good as it used to, with some yeast flavours and less hop bite than normal. I guess that is the price you have to pay sometimes for this type of small scale beer. Later I had some oak age imperial stout from Left hand. This is normally no favourite brewery of mine but this beer was very good indeed.

Leif

Jono
09-06-2009, 16:20
We ate at a favorite Mexican place and I had a couple of Negro Modelos.

SBOmarc
09-06-2009, 17:27
Stone Levitation.
Along side some smoked ribs and cole slaw.

smokinjoe
09-06-2009, 18:32
Heck, I guess it's close enough to Autumn, that we can start talking about the Oktoberfest beers. I'm somewhat surprised that I have not seen the Sam Adams Oktoberfest offering out yet. It's usually the first one up, as I move to the Autumn beers, and I usually get great enjoyment from it for a couple of months. Oh well, I'm sure it will be making it my way.

In the meantime, I picked up a six-pack of Left Hand's Oktoberfest. As a starter, it' servicable and drinkable.

spun_cookie
09-06-2009, 19:56
Oh c'mon, your'e just making these names up.

It was a great liquor store in Aurora CO... I spent 30 min just looking at the selection. It was hard as hell to pick what I wanted...

They had a nice bourbon set as well. ORips, PVans, Wellers, Staggs, etc....

nor02lei
09-07-2009, 13:33
I did have Shipyard xxxx IPA with my macaroni pudding with spicy India stile yoghurt sauce for dinner and Old Rasputin from North Coast right now. The Shipyard was mild for a double IPA but ok anyway. Rasputin was god as always but unfortunately my last bottle.

Leif

nor02lei
09-19-2009, 13:32
I did go to Stockholm beer and whisky festival yesterday on a buss tour both for the festival and for a big whisky event called whisky convention with my local whisky club SMAD. Besides 2 single malt tasting events I did drink a lot of good beer. Amongst them the strongest beer I ever had. Utopia from Samuel Adams. At 27 % alcohol it was a big concentrations of flavours. It tasted much better than I did expect and I did like it a lot. However the taste profile did remind me more of a well aged Madera then a beer. The best beer I had was not surprisingly a 2006 Bigfoot on tap that was a special 9 pm release. I was first in line and they started to pour 2 seconds past 9. They did also have 2007 celebration from Sierra Nevada on tap at the same station. I did not like that at all as it appeared as flat in general. I do recall I didn’t like one celebration on bottle not that long ago. Maybe it was the 2007 because I do recall both the 2008 and 2009 as being outstanding.

Leif

smokinjoe
09-21-2009, 17:31
Seeing that I've returned home from KBF to a deluge of 20" of rain, and another 5" expected, I felt it was fitting to break out the Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter that I picked up while there. It's exactly as the label describes: "Complex roasty aroma with a bittersweet, chocolate-coffee taste." Just the way I like it. But, for some reason I keep having this urge to occasionally shout out, "Gitche gumee!!!"

callmeox
09-21-2009, 17:47
If you ever remember to check in when you're in town, we can skip on over to GLBC and you can have it fresh from the tap there. :grin:

Seeing that I've returned home from KBF to a deluge of 20" of rain, and another 5" expected, I felt it was fitting to break out the Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter that I picked up while there. It's exactly as the label describes: "Complex roasty aroma with a bittersweet, chocolate-coffee taste." Just the way I like it. But, for some reason I keep having this urge to occasionally shout out, "Gitche gumee!!!"

unclebunk
09-21-2009, 18:00
Still sucking down the last of my case of Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery in Michigan. Fantastic stuff, but a seasonal summer beer, so I always hate to see it go when autumn creeps up on us. Also been enjoying some Abbot Ale from the Greene King Brewery in England but was completely amazed when I went into Binny's last week and discovered that they had stocked one of my favorite English ales of all time, Bateman's XXX Bitter. That's the first time I've seen it in the US in more than ten years, so I stockpiled a bunch of it to get me through the new few months. Jump on it if you can find it!

nor02lei
09-25-2009, 03:33
I did drink bunches of beer at Stockholm beer and whisky festival yesterday as there isn’t much bourbon around. The highlights were Hercules double IPA on tap (same beer on bottle was less good) and Tokyo an 18,2% imperial stout from the amassing Scotch brewery brew dog. The brew master from great divide was there. Real nice guy that really seemed to like what he was doing. Lots of experiments going on at the brewery for sure!

Leif