PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Virginia Beach

CygnusX-1
03-28-2009, 20:59
Hi Everyone

I found this website a little while ago when i became interested in bourbon and love it. Been a member for a few months and never posted a formal introduction (not sure why) but here it is and i hope to post more.

A lil about me:
I live in va. beach va and work at Jakes Smokehouse BBQ. My main interest are food, bourbon, and music (Rush is my favorite band if you couldent tell by my username and avatar).

Looking forward to expanding my love of bourbon with you fine folks!

HoosierBoozer
03-28-2009, 23:49
Welcome, bourbon and BBQ are my two favorite things.

mozilla
03-29-2009, 08:07
Welcome to the board, Jon.

What kind of wood do y'all use to smoke with? BBQ is real big in Texas. I prefer a mix of Pecan, Hickory, Oak and a touch of Mesquite.

Hope to see you posting often.
Cheers!

squire
03-29-2009, 11:16
Hey Jon, welcome aboard.

CygnusX-1
03-29-2009, 14:30
[quote=mozilla;165878]Welcome to the board, Jon.

What kind of wood do y'all use to smoke with?

We use oak

mozilla
03-30-2009, 07:18
I don't find that Oak by itself adds enough flavor to the smoke. The Pecan and Oak pair are probably my most usual smoking woods.

BBQing rocks!

docbible
03-30-2009, 07:46
Welcome from another newby! The wealth of knowledge contained here will help you along your path. What bourbons do you enjoy the most? tim

CygnusX-1
03-30-2009, 14:31
What bourbons do you enjoy the most? tim

Thats hard to say but i love most offerengs from Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey that i have tried, also very fond of EWSB and KC

fishnbowljoe
03-30-2009, 21:36
Welcome aboard Jon. Hope you like it here. Spent a few months out your way many years ago. Was stationed at Little Creek when I was in the Army. Yes, Army. Was at a naval school there for six months.

Anyway, good luck on your bourbon journey. Keep us posted as to how it's going, and what you find. Enjoy. Joe

independant
03-30-2009, 22:35
Welcome. I grew up in Va beach and moved to lynchburg 4 years ago. My dad still goes to Jakes bbq. I will have to stop in there next time I am at the beach its been a long time.

chefnash51
04-03-2009, 10:26
Welcome! Glad you found this site, it's a great place and I can't believe how much I have learned about bourbon in sush a short time.

By the way.. I will be in Virgina Beach on the first week of July for vacation (family in Norfolk), maybe I will swing in the bbq joint you work at and say hi. I love good bbq.

are there any decent liquor stores in the VA beach area that I might find some good bourbon selection?

Cheers!

Kevin

CygnusX-1
04-05-2009, 15:37
are there any decent liquor stores in the VA beach area that I might find some good bourbon selection?

Kevin

Well Va is a control state so we only have ABC stores, some are better than others but there is limited selection and no chance of finding dustieshttp://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif, but we do have VG90 wich is hard to find in some places and its only about $20http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif I suggest looking up the state ABC website for a list of products, prices, and locations (they even list whats currently on sale).

chefnash51
04-06-2009, 06:00
Well Va is a control state so we only have ABC stores, some are better than others but there is limited selection and no chance of finding dustieshttp://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif, but we do have VG90 wich is hard to find in some places and its only about $20http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif I suggest looking up the state ABC website for a list of products, prices, and locations (they even list whats currently on sale).

nice thanks for getting back to me. Actually I have been looking for VG90, so I will definitely try and pick that up. And I will check out the ABC website.

Cheers!

smokinjoe
04-06-2009, 06:51
Kevin, definitely keep an eye out for the sales, while you're in Virginia. I get to Bristol several times a year, and every time I go there, I stop in an ABC store in town. They always seem to have really great sales. I've picked up Berheim at $29, and ETL at $19. Much lower than I've seen them in other places.

chefnash51
04-06-2009, 09:15
Kevin, definitely keep an eye out for the sales, while you're in Virginia. I get to Bristol several times a year, and every time I go there, I stop in an ABC store in town. They always seem to have really great sales. I've picked up Berheim at $29, and ETL at $19. Much lower than I've seen them in other places.

wow, those are much cheaper then I can get up in CT. Thanks - I will be checking for sales for sure.

I have always wanted to pull the trigger on the Berheim, but the $50 price always keeps me away.

CygnusX-1
04-07-2009, 12:38
I have always wanted to pull the trigger on the Berheim, but the $50 price always keeps me away.

I picked up a bottle of the Berhiem Wheat last month on sale for $25.99, but not all the stores have it

independant
04-07-2009, 14:24
CygnusX-1 I am going to be in Va beach over this coming weekend. If you are working Saturday night let me know I am always in the mood for BBQ and meeting fellow SBers.

I picked up a bottle of the Berhiem Wheat last month on sale for $25.99, but not all the stores have it

I also was able to pick up a bottle of Berhiem when it went on sale the last time. I think mine was a little more, but no where near $50

M1Paul
05-08-2009, 22:58
Check out the Pacifica Little Bar Bistro at 40th St and Pacific, They have about the best selection of bourbons of all the places I tried during a very long stay in VA Beach last year. Also very good food.

Always went to Jakes for BBQ, best in the Beach, do the Verizon techs still eat there a couple times a week? Hoping to get back that way in a few months, still have a few friends there.