PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon Novice from BC, Canada

JMac72
04-13-2009, 22:29
Bonjour!

Just found this forum over the week-end and it looks great. I live in British Columbia, Canada and now am starting to enjoy good bourbon. I have been a rum fan all my life but the new brother in law (from Kentucky) introduced me to bourbon.

I started off with MM and coke then Blantons SB for sipping. All good except the Blantons was a little much for a newbie. However I kept up and found Van Winkle 10 year and George Dickel 12 (sorry but I love that whisky).

Currently trying Buffalo Trace since it was recommended in a post here about bourbon for novices.

I like the smooth flavour transition of Buffalo Trace but..the finish seems to have this 'earthy' taste that I can't seem to get past. Are all Buffalo Trace products similar with that 'earthy' finish?

p_elliott
04-14-2009, 07:49
Bonjour!

Currently trying Buffalo Trace since it was recommended in a post here about bourbon for novices.

I like the smooth flavour transition of Buffalo Trace but..the finish seems to have this 'earthy' taste that I can't seem to get past. Are all Buffalo Trace products similar with that 'earthy' finish?

Welcome aboard, the quick answer to your question is no. BT distillery makes some of the finest bourbons in the world the VW collection and the BTAC are some of the most sought out bourbons there are. I just plopped down $100 for a PVW 20. BT the Bourbon is noted for once in a while having a musty or earthly flavor to it. Many have speculated to why this is the favorite theory is that it's made from the barrels from the lower floors of the ricket house that may flood from time to time. I don't have a clue myself. The Blanton's you talked about is a BT product the first single barrel bourbon produced. BT makes many fine bourbons the Weller line, the ER, ETL, don't get get a bad taste in your mouth about BT from one musty bottle of BT bourbon. It's a fine company.

Please post often, ask lots of questions, give us your opinions, and make new friends and have a good time. Chat nights are Thursday and Sunday but is available any time.

JMac72
04-14-2009, 10:41
Thanks for the welcome....I was hoping that was not the case. I have tried the Van Winkle 10 year before and loved. The Buffalo Trace had me second guessing though.....

Next on my list is the Weller and Eagle Rare but the Weller is not available up here and the Eagle Rare is $75 a bottle.

p_elliott
04-15-2009, 07:34
Thanks for the welcome....I was hoping that was not the case. I have tried the Van Winkle 10 year before and loved. The Buffalo Trace had me second guessing though.....

Next on my list is the Weller and Eagle Rare but the Weller is not available up here and the Eagle Rare is $75 a bottle.

Which ER would that be? the ERSB or the ER 17 yr if it's the later it's one of the BTAC and that's a little high but not much. I think it's $60 or so here in the states. Not knowing the currency exchange. If it's the ER 17 yr old pick it up if you can. The ERSB is good not $75 good. Of course I always hate advising people in other countries because I don't know what you pay for everything else so I don't what's comparable.

JMac72
04-15-2009, 17:55
Its the Eagle Rare 10 year SB....that's the most expensive bourbon here on the shelves. The BC government liquor has PVW 20 on their product list for $156 but I haven't seen it anywhere.

The other bourbons here are in the high $40 range and they include MM, Knob Creek, most of the JD line, Jim Beam, and I think Woodford Reserve.

p_elliott
04-16-2009, 07:54
The ERSB 10 /90 should be about the same price as Knob Creek. So if they are asking that much more for it it's a rip off.

JMac72
04-16-2009, 18:37
The ERSB 10 /90 should be about the same price as Knob Creek. So if they are asking that much more for it it's a rip off.

amen to that....because of the massive differences in price...I just scoot across the line to Bellingham or Seattle....