PDA

View Full Version : Which Evan Williams SB?

JMac72
04-14-2009, 15:30
This is related to a previous post by Sijian re bourbon for novices.

In his post he mentions Evan Williams SB as a good bourbon for novices to try and I put it down on my list. A quick Google search has revealed there are a number of different vintage years for the Evan Williams SB.

So which year would Sijian be referring to when he recommended Evan Williams? Or does it matter?

Maddog918
04-14-2009, 16:05
I just got a bottle of EW vintage SB. it was bottled in 2008. Outstanding whiskey! It was a good purchase for this novice.
Brian

JMac72
04-14-2009, 18:04
Thanks....apparently there is a a whole range 1992, 1993, 1996, etc.

independant
04-14-2009, 19:01
It really doesn't matter the year. I find that they are all good examples of what is a single barrel. Also if its available in your area I suggest eagle rare single barrel they both are under 30.00 and are a great value.

mozilla
04-14-2009, 20:01
I am not a big fan of single barrels. I would suggest that most of what HH makes is of a similar quality and style. IMO, you don't need to pay extra for what they give you. Try a Bottled in Bond.

JMac72
04-14-2009, 20:52
It really doesn't matter the year. I find that they are all good examples of what is a single barrel. Also if its available in your area I suggest eagle rare single barrel they both are under 30.00 and are a great value.

Eagle Rare SB is available here but at $75 CDN per bottle. I will pick this up on my next trip to Bellingham where its $28 USD.

JMac72
04-14-2009, 20:53
I am not a big fan of single barrels. I would suggest that most of what HH makes is of a similar quality and style. IMO, you don't need to pay extra for what they give you. Try a Bottled in Bond.

No easy way to ask this but what is bottled in bond?

callmeox
04-14-2009, 20:58
Here's a link to the terminology thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/announcement.php?f=43&a=8).

You can find your answer there. Bone up and you will be talking like a bourbon pro in no time. :grin:

ggilbertva
04-14-2009, 21:16
Because they are single barrel you will have variations from year to year. I like some years over others due to the nature of the single barrel. Jeff's suggestion is good but I would modify and say go ahead and get a SB and a BIB and do a comparison. See which one you like and make that a steady part of your bunker.

mozilla
04-14-2009, 22:29
Because they are single barrel you will have variations from year to year. I like some years over others due to the nature of the single barrel. Jeff's suggestion is good but I would modify and say go ahead and get a SB and a BIB and do a comparison. See which one you like and make that a steady part of your bunker.

Bingo!

p_elliott
04-15-2009, 08:17
I like the EWSB some like other years better than other but I wonder if it's not that they have had barrels that they don't like. I also like the EW black label I can't get the BIB here.

BIB means if I can get this right means 100 proof, aged at least 4 years, all distilled and barrel in one season I think that's it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Maddog918
04-17-2009, 15:21
I think BIB is from a sigle batch.

barturtle
04-17-2009, 15:52
The product of a single distillery, in a single season, aged at least four years and bottled at 100 proof.

kickert
04-17-2009, 22:40
I gotta say, I am a bit disappointed in this thread. I think this is an excellent question, and I have been lurking waiting for a good answer. I know I have heard people talk about some years being better than others, and you have the whole pre-fire post-fire.

I would really like to hear which years people think are the best.

independant
04-18-2009, 00:21

I have only had 97,98,99 so I can't speak any earlier but I am going to go 97 then 99 and finally 98.

jburlowski
04-18-2009, 13:40
1992 and 1994 are the best.

spun_cookie
04-18-2009, 14:15
For me it has been the 97 over the 92, 93, 94, 96, and 98.

In truth, I do not really care for any of them and do not plan on buying any more... I do know where to get a 94 & 95 if anyone is looking for them. One of the 2 was the christmas pack... I think it was the 95 and the 94 is in the box.

JMac72
04-19-2009, 14:49
thanks for the specific years. I found a lot of reviews for the 96. I take it the 96 was the best seller for Evan Williams? I'm only suggesting that because the 96 hasn't seemed to have made anyone's list.

mozilla
04-19-2009, 14:58
I gotta say, I am a bit disappointed in this thread. I think this is an excellent question, and I have been lurking waiting for a good answer. I know I have heard people talk about some years being better than others, and you have the whole pre-fire post-fire.

I don't personally buy the Single Barrel at $27.

I would much prefer to buy two of HH's Bib for the same price (2 x $12.50=25). That's why you won't see me purchasing or commenting on the Single Barrel. Sorry.

dgonano
04-19-2009, 16:24
Jeff,

Don't knock the EWSB. It is a very good selection for a novice. It was also a good selection for a Sampler tasting just a few year's ago. I also know many new bourbonites who love this whiskey. The alternative BIB HH selections your mention are not available in many areas. They are good whiskeys but not in the class of EVSB, so back off your negative response.

kickert
04-19-2009, 16:43
Jeff,

Don't knock the EWSB. It is a very good selection for a novice. It was also a good selection for a Sampler tasting just a few year's ago. I also know many new bourbonites who love this whiskey. The alternative BIB HH selections your mention are not available in many areas. They are good whiskeys but not in the class of EVSB, so back off your negative response.

Whoa... I didn't see Jeff's response as being overly negative -- he was just sharing his preference of one over another. Others are much more overt about their dislike of certain products.

dgonano
04-19-2009, 17:03
Sorry Kickert, but my resonse stands.

Just a few bourbon novices asking a few good questions about a very good whiskey . Jeff's responses , while ok for experienced tasters, I do not find appropriate for a novices. Let them make their own decisions.

Jazzhead
04-19-2009, 18:11
I haven't had a Heaven Hill product in quite some time, so it's long past due to pour a EWSB, a '96 vintage to be exact. Great nose, a little thinner than the Wild Turkey and Old Forrester that are my regular pours. And, of course, with the characteristic "grassy" flavor profile of HH (at least that's how I would describe it. )

Good stuff!

I've had a number of EWSB vintages over the years but can't really say I can name good and better years; it's all struck me as similar whiskey but I've never had two vintages open at the same time. What I need to try is one of the newer vintages which were distilled after the big fire - I have four bottles in the bunker, all pre-fire (1987, 1994, 1995 and 1996). If there are differences they are subtle and need a side-by-side to appreciate.

Josh
04-19-2009, 18:35
Even though it was mentioned briefly, I think it bears repeating that the HH BiB's are not available everywhere. MI only has 1 very low end Gold Label HH. The only bond officially available in the state is OGD. So, yes Bonds are often better values than SB's but they aren't always available.

p_elliott
04-20-2009, 08:31
Sorry Kickert, but my resonse stands.

Just a few bourbon novices asking a few good questions about a very good whiskey . Jeff's responses , while ok for experienced tasters, I do not find appropriate for a novices. Let them make their own decisions.

I didn't think Jeff's comments were out of line when you take into consideration that Jeff has a long history of in his opinion that single barrel bourbons are nothing more than a gimmick to jack up prices. (don't you just love long drawn out sentences) It's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

I happen to like EWSB I also think it's a good value. Hell I like EW black label, that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

I encourage the new members me being one of more or less to ask as many questions or give their opinion on any subject they like. But not everyone going to agree with those opinions. That's part of the process.

Your entitled to your opinion as well.

mozilla
04-20-2009, 08:35
Jeff,

The only problem I have with the Single Barrel is the price. I don't believe that novices should be willing to spend twice the going rate to experiment with bourbons that might or might not be better than a regular bottling.

To me, it is not worth the extra price.

It should also be noted...I prefer a batched bourbon because I believe they are more rounded in their pallet and profile. Where as...a Single Barrel is more like a slice of pie. You might get a great piece...but you also might get a bad one. With batched bourbons...you hardly ever get an off bottle.

Hope that helps explain my point of view.

funknik
04-20-2009, 09:49
Jeff's suggestion is good but I would modify and say go ahead and get a SB and a BIB and do a comparison. See which one you like and make that a steady part of your bunker.
This has been a fascinating conversation resulting from a seemingly simple query. Let me add to off-topic nature of this discussion slightly with my two cents . . .

I have lately begun to try and ignore the designations and stick with paying attention to three things: age, proof & price. As Josh mentioned, BIB is a very rare thing in many states and there simply aren't any available up here save the Dant (lack of BIBs does not hurt my feelings at all, personally, I find them much too young tasting). I also agree that single barrel bourbons have a gimmicky, marketing scheme-type appeal, but it is interesting to be able to sample that "slice of pie" as Jeff so succinctly put it. Small Batch just means whatever you want it to mean.

I, personally, have not found a BIB or a Single Barrel that I would keep as a staple.

What I've noticed seems to be the most important factor to me is the age (particularly in the Heaven Hill products). EWSB is an 86 proof bourbon at 10 years old -- it's probably nicely mellowed. I haven't bought one for this reason: Elijah Craig 12yr is an older, higher proof and lower cost version of the same distillate -- the fact that it isn't single barrel is a non-factor to me. I'm sure I will try EWSB sometime soon just for curiousity's sake, but I expect not to like it as much as EC12 which is $10 cheaper.

I've had a chance to do a couple side-by-sides lately of Old Ezra 7/101 and EC12 and while both are very good and similar tasting, the difference is amazing to me . . . EC12 wins hands down for me and for only a few bucks more. Still, Old Ezra is a great deal for a 7yr old 101 proof bourbon.

So, I guess I agree with the marketing angle, but obviously not all single barrels and/or BIBs are created equal and therein lies the adventure!

Josh
04-20-2009, 10:02
This has been a fascinating conversation resulting from a seemingly simple query. Let me add to off-topic nature of this discussion slightly with my two cents . . .

So, I guess I agree with the marketing angle, but obviously not all single barrels and/or BIBs are created equal and therein lies the adventure!

I would say "well put funk", but that's not enough characters.

mozilla
04-20-2009, 10:06

I have lately begun to try and ignore the designations and stick with paying attention to three things: age, proof & price. As Josh mentioned, BIB is a very rare thing in many states and there simply aren't any available up here save the Dant (lack of BIBs does not hurt my feelings at all, personally, I find them much too young tasting). I also agree that single barrel bourbons have a gimmicky, marketing scheme-type appeal, but it is interesting to be able to sample that "slice of pie" as Jeff so succinctly put it. Small Batch just means whatever you want it to mean.

What I've noticed seems to be the most important factor to me is the age (particularly in the Heaven Hill products). EWSB is an 86 proof bourbon at 10 years old -- it's probably nicely mellowed. I haven't bought one for this reason: Elijah Craig 12yr is an older, higher proof and lower cost version of the same distillate -- the fact that it isn't single barrel is a non-factor to me. I'm sure I will try EWSB sometime soon just for curiousity's sake, but I expect not to like it as much as EC12 which is $10 cheaper.

I've had a chance to do a couple side-by-sides lately of Old Ezra 7/101 and EC12 and while both are very good and similar tasting, the difference is amazing to me . . . EC12 wins hands down for me and for only a few bucks more. Still, Old Ezra is a great deal for a 7yr old 101 proof bourbon.

Well put, Andy.

I don't think Dave meant any harm with his comments. I believe that he really likes his EWSB and was more currious as to what other dates he should try next.

I agree with evaluating bourbon on Age, Proof and Price. It, IMO, is the best way to cut through the hype and lock down the variables. My "best" level is the highest proof and age....for(most importantly) the LOWEST PRICE. This is MY angle...it might not work for all others. YMMV. :cool:

funknik
04-20-2009, 10:17
Thanks, fellas.

You know, it occurs to me . . . one bourbon I was extremely impressed by fits all of the aforementioned criteria: Henry McKenna 10yr Single Barrel BIB.

That, IMO, is a very nice whiskey at the same age & a similar price to the EWSB but 100 proof and BIB status. If I could find these around here, I would buy one.

dgonano
04-20-2009, 17:47
Well it wasn't Jeff out-of-line. I apoligized in a PM to him.

mozilla
04-20-2009, 19:54
We're cool. No harm, no foul.

funknik
05-19-2009, 06:49
So, I have since tried the EWSB '98 and it was very, very good. I was surprised at how much I liked it . . . more char and complexity than the EC12 and the lower proof makes it a little easier going down . . . it has some really gorgeous sweet notes in there to go along with the spicy leather.

Still, at $10 more than EC12, I think it's a tough purchase . . . great flavor profile, though . . . I'm interested in trying to dig up a couple '97s I've seen and to try the '99.

ggilbertva
05-19-2009, 08:47
Just to state the obvious but maybe not so obvious to new drinkers reading this thread. If something interests you, go ahead and try it. As a new bourbon drinker progresses, they will adjust their buying and drinking habits accordingly. Many times price is mentioned as one discriminator in a buy/no buy decision. I would point out that prices vary by region and as such, if you can get EWSB for $18 (as I can), that really makes this a very appealing purchase; not withstanding someones feelings toward SB. As Jeff points out in his "slice of pie" analogy, you will get variances in SB offerings. Just be aware of that when purchasing and set your expectations accordingly.

Obviously availability will also dictate one's purchasing habits......unless of course you get creative with trades and traveling out of state. People expressing their opinions is usually a good read but in the end, it comes down to what you enjoy.

p_elliott
05-19-2009, 09:01
So, I have since tried the EWSB '98 and it was very, very good. I was surprised at how much I liked it . . . more char and complexity than the EC12 and the lower proof makes it a little easier going down . . . it has some really gorgeous sweet notes in there to go along with the spicy leather.

Still, at $10 more than EC12, I think it's a tough purchase . . . great flavor profile, though . . . I'm interested in trying to dig up a couple '97s I've seen and to try the '99.

Where I live the EWSB is cheaper than EC12 and I think it's much better.

B3Nut
05-19-2009, 09:09
I've been really impressed with the '99 EWSB barrel-selected by Steve's Liquor in Madison, they sampled 3 barrels and chose what they felt was the best of the 3. Their sale price on it is $21.99, versus around $26 normally. EWSB goes for close to $30 at many places around here, so at $22 I figured it was worth a shot. It's a nice, lighter pour with interesting fruity notes...makes for a really unique Manhattan, too. I liked it enough to go back and get a second bottle to bunker...

p_elliott
05-19-2009, 09:11
Just to state the obvious but maybe not so obvious to new drinkers reading this thread. If something interests you, go ahead and try it. As a new bourbon drinker progresses, they will adjust their buying and drinking habits accordingly. Many times price is mentioned as one discriminator in a buy/no buy decision. I would point out that prices vary by region and as such, if you can get EWSB for $18 (as I can), that really makes this a very appealing purchase; not withstanding someones feelings toward SB. As Jeff points out in his "slice of pie" analogy, you will get variances in SB offerings. Just be aware of that when purchasing and set your expectations accordingly.

Obviously availability will also dictate one's purchasing habits......unless of course you get creative with trades and traveling out of state. People expressing their opinions is usually a good read but in the end, it comes down to what you enjoy.

As usual great advice Greg!! Take nothing on here as far as what what 's better than what as the gospel according to anyone it's all just personal opinion and taste.

funknik
05-19-2009, 10:57
Where I live the EWSB is cheaper than EC12 and I think it's much better.

Get EWSB for $18 (as I can), that really makes this a very appealing purchase.

I'm jealous of you dudes! Around here I get EC12 for $18.99 & EWSB for $27.99. Since my love for EC12 is well documented, I'm slow to throw it under the bus, but I'm liking my EWSB quite a bit more than the last EC12 I had (although that bottle was noticeably below par, I thought). Even in NH, the land of low, low liquor prices, EWSB goes for $24 (and EC12 is $22, go figure), so I probably will stick with the Elijah for a while. The dispairity in price from state to state never ceases to amaze me.

I absolutely agree with Greg also . . . just go for what you like . . . try everything you can along the way.

JMac72
05-19-2009, 12:59

For me it is not so much price as it is flavour profiles. I have a sweet tooth so I look for flavour profiles that have certain flavours (vanilla/caramel) and in certain combinations (vanilla with caramel and oak tones).

camduncan
05-19-2009, 17:29
I'm jealous of you dudes! Around here I get EC12 for $18.99 & EWSB for $27.99..

Jeez, you should try Australian prices :bigeyes: :grin: . EC12 is $40 and EWSB is $45. I've even seen it priced with another $5 tacked onto each one.

Anyway, back on topic...... I first tried the 93 EWSB, and really liked it. The 94 appealed greatly also, but the 95 bottle I tried wasn't to my liking at all, and ended up being used as a mixer with Coke. I'm yet to try anything after the 95.
Having said that, I have bunkered 2 bottles each of the 92 thru to 97 Vintage (the 98 is yet to be released here) with the intention of having a tasting event sometime in the future. I just need to find some willing participants :skep: :cool:

cowdery
05-19-2009, 20:02
I have liked some better than others--the 1994 is a particular favorite--but I've had them all and there hasn't been one I didn't like. Even the last few distillery du jour vintages have been excellent.

Single-Barrel
06-04-2009, 10:35
I finished a bottle of the '99 on wed. night. It was very good. This morning I picked up a bottle of the '97 and poured me a bit about ten minutes ago. Okay I think its ready for a sip (neat). Ok, wow less oak nice molasses and toffee. This one is holding on here in the finish it's going on 15 seconds. Very, very nice. Okay IMHO I like the '97 better than the '99 the '97 seemed mellower and the finish was longer. I have tasted other vintages but it has been so long that it would be hard for me to compare them. If you are in the Penns Grove, NJ. area and want to try the '97 there is a liquior store up here that has 2 or 3 gift boxes left on the shelf (its not a big seller up here). PM me and I will tell you the shop that has it.

Maddog918
06-04-2009, 12:20
I finished a bottle of the '99 on wed. night. It was very good. This morning I picked up a bottle of the '97 and poured me a bit about ten minutes ago. Okay I think its ready for a sip (neat). Ok, wow less oak nice molasses and toffee. This one is holding on here in the finish it's going on 15 seconds. Very, very nice. Okay IMHO I like the '97 better than the '99 the '97 seemed mellower and the finish was longer. I have tasted other vintages but it has been so long that it would be hard for me to compare them. If you are in the Penns Grove, NJ. area and want to try the '97 there is a liquior store up here that has 2 or 3 gift boxes left on the shelf (its not a big seller up here). PM me and I will tell you the shop that has it.

I've been working on a "98. I was sipping some last night. My fav so far.

Kevin
06-10-2009, 19:34
browsed around a hole in the wall the other day, and saw they had '96 and '97, and pretty much any other beverage store around has the '98 and '99.

in my area they run at about $26... are either of the two older ones any more spectacular awsome finds, or just another apple from the tree?

p_elliott
06-11-2009, 09:05
browsed around a hole in the wall the other day, and saw they had '96 and '97, and pretty much any other beverage store around has the '98 and '99.

in my area they run at about $26... are either of the two older ones any more spectacular awsome finds, or just another apple from the tree?

Yeah there all a little different give em a try EWSB is a good value in a SB. The 97 is pretty special.

independant
06-11-2009, 16:08
Pick up the 96 and 97 you will be happy you did. They are both very good examples of the EWSB line.
I myserlf picked up a 98 today.

OscarV
06-11-2009, 16:22

If the 1996 is before November 7 then it was distilled at the Heaven Hill distillery in Bardstown before the fire that destroyed it.

Kevin
06-12-2009, 08:24
If the 1996 is before November 7 then it was distilled at the Heaven Hill distillery in Bardstown before the fire that destroyed it.

... So you're saying that the '96 will have a bit more 'burn' going down?

tommyboy38
06-12-2009, 08:28
I have a bottle distilled on 11/07/96. I get a really strong char flavor in the finish.

I haven't visited the EWSB lately and think i need to try a few different years and compare them. These were my first dusties as I enjoyed it as my premium bourbon and was able to find a 92 and 95 which started me trying to collect a run of them. I only have a 97 open now but should snag some backups of the 96.

Veevee
06-17-2009, 05:00

It seems like people really like the 97
I have only had a couple of these, I think the 89 was the first one I bought quite a while ago.

Are you near Indy? I have to visit my bro near Brownsburg, would love to know where you found the 96 and 97. PM me if you can?

cowdery
06-17-2009, 10:49
I have, open and within easy reach, the 97, 98 and 99. I also still have some 94, a particular favorite of mine. Last night I did a side-by-side between the 94 and 99, and while they are both good whiskeys, they are very different. The 94 tastes much older than the 99 and also much older than its nine years, more like 14 or 15. Lots of char and the darkest of dark fruit. I don't know if there is such a thing as smoked raisins but if there is, they probably taste like the 94 EWSB. The 99 is much lighter and its sweet side runs more to the caramel candy than dark fruit. The 94 is DSP-31 (Bardstown) juice, while the 99 is Brown-Forman, possibly with some Bernheim. The 2000, which will be previewed in October, should be all-Bernheim. A fraction of the 96 and all of the 97 is Beam juice, while 98 and 99 are Brown-Forman. Although Heaven Hill has always been truthful about where their whiskey was made after the fire, they've never been enthusiastic about discussing it, so some of the details are assumptions.

funknik
06-17-2009, 20:17
while 98 and 99 are Brown-Forman.

Chuck, would it be safe to say then that the current EC12 is also B-F juice???
. . . it is an almost exact taste-alike to the '98 EWSB.

Also, as someone who doesn't like Old Forester at all, it's amazing to me that this is the same juice . . . . if it wasn't coming from a source I thoroughly trust, I wouldn't have believed it . . . that extra aging must do wonders.

OscarV
06-17-2009, 20:21
The 2000, which will be previewed in October, should be all-Bernheim.

I've been thinking about picking up an EWSB, I think I'll wait till Oct.

independant
06-17-2009, 20:33
The 2000, which will be previewed in October, should be all-Bernheim. A fraction of the 96 and all of the 97 is Beam juice, while 98 and 99 are Brown-Forman. Although Heaven Hill has always been truthful about where their whiskey was made after the fire, they've never been enthusiastic about discussing it, so some of the details are assumptions.

This good info I added it to my notes

cowdery
06-18-2009, 14:39

When HH was without a distillery and made whiskey at Beam and BF, Craig and Parker oversaw it and to the extent possible at someone else's still, they made 'their' whiskey. They also aged it in their warehouses.

As for EC12, since it's not a single barrel, they combine barrels and may very well use barrels from more than one of the different distilleries they used during that period. The whiskey in the bottle has to be at least 12 years old, but it can be older.

Rughi
06-19-2009, 21:56
Also, as someone who doesn't like Old Forester at all, it's amazing to me that this is the same juice . . . . if it wasn't coming from a source I thoroughly trust, I wouldn't have believed it . . . that extra aging must do wonders.

Aint nothing wrong with DSP 354 when they're making Rittenhouse either. And, I agree, the current Forester is, to me, so much less than it was at DSP 414 that it's quite a surprise how great of contract juice they distil. Just like has been my lot of following the Oakland Raiders, when will Forester return to it's former greatness?

Roger

p_elliott
06-20-2009, 00:14

I've said this before EC12 taste exactly like OF 86. But I never have thought that any EWSB taste like OF. I had heard that they had used some Beam juice for some of the EWSB.