PDA

View Full Version : I need to try this: Mary's Rare Breed

sysrick
04-27-2009, 12:33
Mary’s Rare Breed – created by The Intoxicologist

http://intoxicologist.wordpress.com/2009/04/25/bloody-mary-blitz-changing-the-base-spirit-to-bourbon-gin/

via http://twitter.com/bourbonwhiskey

3 dashes Celery Salt
3 dashes White Pepper
6 turns Fresh Ground Garlic Sea Salt
4 dashes Tabasco
6 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
3 to 4 dashes Peychaud’s Bitters
Squeeze of Half a Lime
2 ounces Wild Turkey Rare Breed Bourbon
Clamato Juice
Jalapeño Olives skewered for Garnish

funknik
04-27-2009, 12:37
I love Bloody Marys, but for some reason this just frightens me.

ILLfarmboy
04-27-2009, 22:09
It sounds like something my wife would drink, if she drank bourbon. But for me, it sounds too spicy.

gothbat
04-28-2009, 05:12
I recently tried a regular Bloody Mary and despite my doubts I really enjoyed it! I don't have a single one of those ingredients at home to make that recipe but it does sound quite interesting and hopefully someday I'll feel like spending the money picking up everything needed to make it. (It's just that even if I like it I probably wouldn't have it that often so, Rare Breed aside (I have been meaning to revisit this one...), I might not ever use any of that stuff again.)

jburlowski
04-30-2009, 16:32
Sounds a bit too fussy for my tastes.... way too many ingredients.

polyamnesia
05-30-2009, 15:54
sounds great! don't think i'll gather up the ingredients completely, but might minimize it...and maximize the spice! i think 5-6 dashes of tabasco...or something spicier. that's how i like it. but i admit, i've never had a bourbon bloody...

i actually never drink bourbon (practically) in spring or summer, but my love for Coke allows me to keep it around.

i think i'll give this a shot tomorrow (with what comparable ingredients i have in the pantry and bar)!

texascarl
05-30-2009, 16:57
I recently tried a regular Bloody Mary and despite my doubts I really enjoyed it! I don't have a single one of those ingredients at home to make that recipe but it does sound quite interesting and hopefully someday I'll feel like spending the money picking up everything needed to make it. (It's just that even if I like it I probably wouldn't have it that often so, Rare Breed aside (I have been meaning to revisit this one...), I might not ever use any of that stuff again.)

Buy a $5 bottle of Zing Zang and mix 6 oz with a shot of the spirit of your choice - I like caraway flavored Akvavit here (and nowhere else!)

deaconbones
01-07-2010, 11:37
Buy a $5 bottle of Zing Zang and mix 6 oz with a shot of the spirit of your choice - I like caraway flavored Akvavit here (and nowhere else!)

You can't go wrong with Zing Zang. Very nicely made. I recently mixed some with bourbon to see what it would taste like and was very surprised at how good it was. Bourbon actually does really well in a Bloody Mary.

hairbag
01-18-2010, 08:29
I love Bloody Marys. :cool: It has never crossed my mind to make one with bourbon! I think I'll try one this weekend. I usually use my home infused pepper vodka for them. Steep a few halbanero peppers in your favorite vodka :hot: :hot: :hot: .
HB

deaconbones
02-11-2010, 15:23
A Rye Bloody Mary is actually the way to go.

deaconbones
02-11-2010, 15:25
A Rye Bloody Mary is actually the way to go. Enjoying a RR Rye with Zing Zang and they really make a nice pair.