PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Asks How Much A Week?

beer2bourbon
05-03-2009, 16:14
I've been enjoying bourbon for the past few years...got really hooked on it after visiting Woodford Reserve disillery a number of years ago. Just wondering how long a .75L bottle lasts most people...my bottles seem to develop holes in them and are drained in less than 2 weeks...maybe I should get a more "liver-friendly" hobby...I only have 1 bottle open at a time, so I don't skip from bottle to bottle...

I'm enjoying the posts so far (new subscriber, first post)...

Cheers!

ratcheer
05-03-2009, 16:29
Well, a 750 ml bottle is 15 50-ml drinks, which is slightly more than 1.5 oz, each. So, it sounds like you are having about one drink per day. While I'm pretty sure a doctor would not want to hear about you drinking that much, it wouldn't raise any alarms among this crowd. IMHO, if it is not causing you any physical or relationship problems, it is probably not excessive.

But, I am not a doctor. :blush:

Tim

independant
05-03-2009, 18:33
I drink from different bottles so not really sure but if I had to guess I would say. I have 2 drinks 4-5 times a week totaling maybe 3 ounces a day. So about a 750ml bottle every 2-3 weeks sounds right.

Joshua
05-04-2009, 00:08
From my understanding 1.5-3 ounces (1-2 "drinks") 4-5 days a week is at the top of the acceptable list. Coming from doctor friends, not my own ideas. Above 3 drinks is considered to be pushing it (even if its once a year, that's apparently some magical red flag).

It also depends on if you HAVE to have a drink, if it interferes with work/family, if its first thing in the morning, things like that.

Personally, I think if you are drinking a little bit to enjoy the drink and not to abuse the substance... 1-2 drinks 4-5 days a week is probably going to be ok... if you are sipping over a few hours anyways. If you wake up and take a shot or two to get the day started--- that's problematic.

Jono
05-04-2009, 07:39
http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/faqs.htm

"A standard drink is equal to 13.7 grams (0.6 ounces) of pure alcohol or
12-ounces of beer.
8-ounces of malt liquor.
5-ounces of wine.
1.5-ounces or a “shot” of 80-proof distilled spirits or liquor (e.g., gin, rum, vodka, or whiskey)."

> A higher proof requires less volume for a standard drink.

"There is no one definition of moderate drinking, but generally the term is used to describe a lower risk pattern of drinking. According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans,1 drinking in moderation is defined as having no more than 1 drink per day for women and no more than 2 drinks per day for men. This definition is referring to the amount consumed on any single day and is not intended as an average over several days."

"For men, heavy drinking is typically defined as consuming an average of more than 2 drinks per day. For women, heavy drinking is typically defined as consuming an average of more than 1 drink per day."

ggilbertva
05-04-2009, 10:18
How much a week comes down to what I feel like doing. There are some days I don't drink at all. If I had to average it out, I would say I have 4-5 pours a week at about 25ml each pour. I used to just have a single pour in a night but recently I've done smaller pours but two in an evening.

Drunkonjack
05-04-2009, 14:34
My doctor told me to stop drinking a bottle per night but a drink or two a knight is fine.

I still on acasion drink the entire bottle

Klepackage
05-04-2009, 17:03
I've been enjoying bourbon for the past few years...got really hooked on it after visiting Woodford Reserve disillery a number of years ago. Just wondering how long a .75L bottle lasts most people...my bottles seem to develop holes in them and are drained in less than 2 weeks...maybe I should get a more "liver-friendly" hobby...I only have 1 bottle open at a time, so I don't skip from bottle to bottle...

I'm enjoying the posts so far (new subscriber, first post)...

Cheers!

When I first really got into bourbon, I would finish off a 750 every two weeks easy. I would also sample from many other different open bottles. That makes judging consumption quite hard.

I've since slowed down a lot because I find the anticipation of an occasional or planned drink makes it taste better (think before gifts on Christmas). Also, I didn't need the extra calories that came with such consumption.

A 750 every two weeks only boils down to a shot a day. That's not much at all. If you start downing handles every two weeks, I'd say it's time to cut back.