PDA

View Full Version : Ezra Brooks?

dts
05-13-2009, 15:52
Had a bottle of Ezra Brooks in my hand today but put it back when I saw that it was charcoal filtered. Which as far as I know makes it not a true Bourbon.
It was 26 bucks a good price for Bourbon in Alberta, but if it tastes like Jack I'll pass. Can anyone tell me how it tastes and what it compares to. I went with my Jim Beam Black for $29.00

kickert
05-13-2009, 15:59
Many bourbons are filtered with activated charcoal... that is not the same process as the charcoal mellowing process Jack and George use. The former pulls out impurities after barreling while the later intentionally adds charred character before barreling.

Josh
05-13-2009, 17:17
If you look at the labels all Heaven Hill whiskeys have that "charcoal filtered" thing. Ezra Brooks is contract distilled for Luxco (or whoever owns it) by HH. So I would say it most closely copares to Evan Williams and Heaven Hill brands. The Ezra B I think most closely compares to EC 12.

I've never had the 90 proof, but I've had the 101 7y/o and it's a decent sipper, excellent mixer. I think the Ezra B is overpriced, but good.

OscarV
05-13-2009, 17:24
If you look at the labels all Heaven Hill whiskeys have that "charcoal filtered" thing. Ezra Brooks is contract distilled for Luxco (or whoever owns it) by HH. So I would say it most closely copares to Evan Williams and Heaven Hill brands. The Ezra B I think most closely compares to EC 12.

I've never had the 90 proof, but I've had the 101 7y/o and it's a decent sipper, excellent mixer. I think the Ezra B is overpriced, but good.

Yeah, you are right about the Ezra 10 and stuff,... also you might look into Evan Williams Black Label and a bag of ice.

boss302
05-14-2009, 11:21

I don't know where you're from, but in Pennsylvania, a single-barrel spirit aged for 12 years, selling for less than Maker's Mark is a pretty darned good deal...

You have to account for production method when pricing a product, in addition to quality.

Josh
05-14-2009, 11:39
I don't know where you're from, but in Pennsylvania, a single-barrel spirit aged for 12 years, selling for less than Maker's Mark is a pretty darned good deal...

You have to account for production method when pricing a product, in addition to quality.

Where I'm from, Ezra B is $10 (at least) more expensive than MM or EC 12 for that matter. If it was less than MM where I'm from, then yes it would be a good buy.

And I'm sorry but your last sentence makes no sense whatsoever.

fishnbowljoe
05-14-2009, 14:30
Josh, The Old Ezra 12 yr old is about the same price, or a couple bucks cheaper than MM around here. I got a bottle of Old Ezra 7 yr 101 a couple of weeks ago, and it was $16.99. You sure it's not the 15 yr old? Not doubting you, I just can't believe the 12 yr would be that expensive anywhere. I've been wrong before though. :rolleyes: You never know.:lol: Joe

Bourbon Geek
05-14-2009, 16:21
Many bourbons are filtered with activated charcoal... that is not the same process as the charcoal mellowing process Jack and George use. The former pulls out impurities after barreling while the later intentionally adds charred character before barreling.

While I totally agree that charcoal mellowing by the TN whiskey folks is quite different than the activated charcoal filtration used by some bourbonfolks, we have a difference of opinion about the rationale for activated charcoal filtration ...

The principal reason to use it is to get rid of the chill haze for products bottled at less than 86 proof. Some companies may do their whole line for convenience in this regard.

Secondarily, some may use ac filtration to make small adjustments to the final color of the product.

Additionally, some use ac on their incoming water to avoid 2-MIB and Geosmin contamination that result in earthy, fishy, or dirty socks smell only for the very small few that are chemically sensative.

You probably get much more "charred character" from the barrel char (especially if you use #4) than from any level of ac filtration.

kickert
05-14-2009, 18:35
we have a difference of opinion about the rationale for activated charcoal filtration ...

The principal reason to use it is to get rid of the chill haze for products bottled at less than 86 proof. Some companies may do their whole line for convenience in this regard.

Secondarily, some may use ac filtration to make small adjustments to the final color of the product.

Additionally, some use ac on their incoming water to avoid 2-MIB and Geosmin contamination that result in earthy, fishy, or dirty socks smell only for the very small few that are chemically sensative.

You probably get much more "charred character" from the barrel char (especially if you use #4) than from any level of ac filtration.

No disagreement here... I was a bit loose with my words there... the point I was trying to make is that AC filtration is used to "remove stuff" where charcoal mellowing is trying to "add stuff"

Josh
05-14-2009, 20:22
Josh, The Old Ezra 12 yr old is about the same price, or a couple bucks cheaper than MM around here. I got a bottle of Old Ezra 7 yr 101 a couple of weeks ago, and it was $16.99. You sure it's not the 15 yr old? Not doubting you, I just can't believe the 12 yr would be that expensive anywhere. I've been wrong before though. :rolleyes: You never know.:lol: Joe

That's funny, I've been known to be wrong too! Small world. :grin:

I'm getting confused myself so I better start over. There are three products available in Michigan that bear the Ezra Brooks name (these are all 750 ml prices):
A. Ezra Brooks (90 proof black label)- $11.28 state min.
B. Old Ezra 7 y/o 101 proof- $15.99
C. Ezra B (12 y/o, I'm 75% sure)- $29.99

Maker's Mark is $26.99

So the state min for Ezra B is three dollars more than for Maker's. For some reason I was thinking that Maker's was more like $21. But I've seen Ezra B at my local place for a couple bucks over minimum. So that explains my exagerated estimation of the price difference.

But I stand by my statement that Ezra B is overpriced. Maybe not by as much as I originally said, but I still think it is. And so is MM for that matter!

So it looks like this was one of those times when I was wrong!:lol:

fishnbowljoe
05-14-2009, 20:58
Josh, Let's call it a draw. :grin: To err is human, but to really screw up, just add bourbon. :slappin: It's all good. Joe

Josh
05-15-2009, 08:05
Josh, Let's call it a draw. :grin: To err is human, but to really screw up, just add bourbon. :slappin: It's all good. Joe

Sounds good to me! The best part about adding the bourbon is that I don't seem to care as much about screwing up!:grin:

dts
05-15-2009, 12:09
Thanks for all the information, the bottle I was looking at is 80 proof, bottled in Louisville KY and has no mention of how long it was aged.

Josh
05-15-2009, 12:27
Thanks for all the information, the bottle I was looking at is 80 proof, bottled in Louisville KY and has no mention of how long it was aged.

d'oh. sorry to hijack the thread. I've never seen one like that. It sounds like something of a dusty. Don't know how many hardcore EB fans are in the forum, but you should see if you can find a contemporary bottle, do a head to head and report back!

theDon
05-16-2009, 19:20
If'in you want the best dusty of yo life, get some of that Owensboro Ezra. It's in a different league. Tasty!

funknik
05-22-2009, 05:24
I just opened up an EB90 the other night and expecting it to ape, EW Black, I was pleasantly surprised. I think, like Josh, that Old Ezra 7/101 is a nice sipper, and the 90 proof, although it remains NAS, tastes to me just like a diluted Old Ezra 101, which makes it also a pretty nice sipper . . . especially for $12. Not that I'm getting excited about it, but I was pleasantly surprised . . . mostly grass, char & spice (not much sweetness) but what it does, it does well.

I'm going to do a EB90/OldE101 side-by-side here pretty soon.

kickert
05-22-2009, 05:55
EB90 . . . mostly grass . . .

Too much for me...

funknik
05-22-2009, 08:04
Too much for me...
Understood, but how does it compare to EWB to you? For me, there's a difference much more significant than 4 proof points.