PDA

View Full Version : New from Baton Rouge

tgaut
05-28-2009, 06:22
Great forum. I'm new to enjoying bourbon. I have tried the common lables(JB, Makers, etc...) but now beginning to try the bottles that I was previously blind to. I must say this is a new world. I have been reading for two days before posting here. My mind is spinning and I can't wait to go get a couple of new bottles. My wife recently bought me a bottle of Blanton's for our anniversary. Can't wait to try. I don't think my wife knows that I have a new hobby or what it's going to cost!!! Previously, I have thoroughly enjoyed Woodford Reserve.

Josh
05-28-2009, 06:39
Great forum. I'm new to enjoying bourbon. I have tried the common lables(JB, Makers, etc...) but now beginning to try the bottles that I was previously blind to. I must say this is a new world. I have been reading for two days before posting here. My mind is spinning and I can't wait to go get a couple of new bottles. My wife recently bought me a bottle of Blanton's for our anniversary. Can't wait to try. I don't think my wife knows that I have a new hobby or what it's going to cost!!! Previously, I have thoroughly enjoyed Woodford Reserve.

Welcome to the forum! One cool feature of the member profiles is that there is a section where members can reccommend their favorite whiskeys. If you're ever wondering what to try next, try exploring some of those.

I am all too familiar with the $$$ issues with the wife! We have an agreement of sorts. I don't complain about her buying clothes, and she doesn't complain about me buying whiskey. It works pretty well.

If you fall in love with Blanton's but you're still looking to save a little money, you might check out Elmer T. Lee. It's by the same distillery (Buffalo Trace), and has the same mashbill, and is also named after a former master distiller, but it is a good deal cheaper, with not a lot of difference in taste. In fact, I actually like Elmer T. Lee better.

Anyway, welcome to the journey!

p_elliott
05-28-2009, 08:27
Welcome aboard you have started a great adventure you are going to learn so much here I have and still am every day. I and you will too also learn by discovery like reading about letting a bottle breath and actually experiencing the difference it makes to some bourbons like Van Winkle Lot B is incredible. How your pallet develops you read about people tasting leather or chocolate or vanilla or what ever in bourbon and you go huh it taste like bourbon. Some taste better than others but it all taste like bourbon. Then one day you try a new one and it just hits you it tastes like chocolate and you start to get it. Again welcome aboard were glad to have you ask as many questions as you like someone will be able to answer and will be glad to do it. Post your opinions too we want to know what you think, tell us what you have tried what you liked , didn't like and why. Talk to people make some new friends post often, official chat is Sunday and Thursday nights but it's available all the time.

Paul

fishnbowljoe
05-28-2009, 18:14
Welcome to SB T. Please carefully read the following instructions.

1. Put your helmet on
2. Put your gloves on
3. Strap in and tighten your seat belt
4. Start your engine
5. HANG ON FOR YOUR LIFE CAUSE IT'S GONNA BE A HELLUVA RIDE!:woohoo:

But seriously, :rolleyes: welcome aboard. It's good to have you. I'll tell you what I've told a lot of others that were new to SB. It's all about good info, good bourbon, good times, and above all good people. Hope you enjoy yourself here. It's all good! :grin: Joe