PDA

View Full Version : Very Old barton

JMac72
06-07-2009, 19:02
I am in the process of making up an order for Binny's and was looking at the Very Old Barton 100 proof. I have read many good things about VOB especially on another bourbon website that includes pictures. However the picture on the bourbon website is different (gold/black label) than the one posted on Binny's website (all white).

Before I buy VOB I was wondering is it the same VOB as raved about or has it changed along with the labeling?

OscarV
06-07-2009, 19:13
The labels are different colors depending on the proof, which are 80, 86, 90 and 100.

Josh
06-07-2009, 19:22
I am in the process of making up an order for Binny's and was looking at the Very Old Barton 100 proof. I have read many good things about VOB especially on another bourbon website that includes pictures. However the picture on the bourbon website is different (gold/black label) than the one posted on Binny's website (all white).

Before I buy VOB I was wondering is it the same VOB as raved about or has it changed along with the labeling?

You mean the pictures here?
http://www.binnys.com/spirits/search/?advs=2&ast=31&asc=&astxt=barton

I see what you mean. VOB comes in 4 different proofs, 80, 86, 90 & BiB (100), all of which have different colors with gold trim. Light red/pinkish & black= 80, Green & black= 86, Dark Red & black= 90, White & white= BiB. I would recommend the 90 or the BiB, although I have gotten the 86 before when it was under $8.

I haven't personally seen any change in labels, I think lazy webmasters are probably to blame for the differences.

JMac72
06-07-2009, 19:37
thanks Josh....I will pick up a bottle or 2 of the VOB 100 and probably the Old Fitzgerald 1849...AAA 10 year is in the running as well......

fishnbowljoe
06-08-2009, 15:09
The VOB BIB is a good bourbon, especially for the price. It's not fantastic, but it's a nice solid bourbon. I just finished a bottle yesterday. IIRC I paid around $12 for it. Like I said, nice for the price. One of the better value bourbons out there. Enjoy. Joe

jburlowski
06-08-2009, 15:34
Joe is right... of the choices, go with the BIB.

Josh
06-08-2009, 15:58
Joe is right... of the choices, go with the BIB.

I actually think I prefer the 90 proof, but the BiB ain't too shabby either. I don't want raise expectations too high, but I've purchased bourbons that were twice as expensive that were half as good as the 90 or the BiB.

Haven't had the 1849, but AAA 10 y/o is very good too. Make sure it's the ten year, as opposed to the inferior 10 star.

funknik
06-08-2009, 16:40
I actually think I prefer the 90 proof, but the BiB ain't too shabby either. I don't want raise expectations too high, but I've purchased bourbons that were twice as expensive that were half as good as the 90 or the BiB.

Haven't had the 1849, but AAA 10 y/o is very good too. Make sure it's the ten year, as opposed to the inferior 10 star.
I agree that the VOB is a great deal and a great bourbon, but I have to give the edge to AAA 10 year . . . that stuff is a wolf in sheep's clothing: awesome bourbon at a very affordable price.

ggilbertva
06-08-2009, 16:45
Buy them both. Each is different. The common elements they share is great value and good bourbon.

JMac72
06-08-2009, 18:20

I will. When I first heard of AAA 10 year and 10 star, I thought they were one in the same bourbon but from different time periods. I then found a blog which described the differences.....

Any other suggestions for value bourbon? Might as well make the order worth the while :grin:

Josh
06-08-2009, 18:29
I will. When I first heard of AAA 10 year and 10 star, I thought they were one in the same bourbon but from different time periods. I then found a blog which described the differences.....

Any other suggestions for value bourbon? Might as well male the order worth the while :grin:

If they have Heaven Hill White label BiB (6 y/o), that's a great value, but it's not widely available.
You can't go wrong with any of the following:
Four Roses
Old Forester Signature (or the standard 86 proof)
Old Granddad Bonded
Evan Williams, even in the current NAS version
Old Ezra 101 7 y/o

Single-Barrel
06-11-2009, 11:35
Don't want to sound like a broken record but for value ya' can't beat EW Black or the White label:cool:

JMac72
06-12-2009, 14:25
Oddly enough I haven't seen EW in Washington State (where I do most of my liquor shopping) however this little contract liquor store just stocked up with Old Ezra 7 year 101....I didn't notice it until after I stocked up on GD 12 and WT 101....

Can anyone describe the taste/palette?

nblair
03-06-2010, 12:06
I wanted to bump this thread instead of starting a new one.

I picked up my first bottle of VOB BIB when I saw my local store got some in stock. I really like this stuff, I can't believe it's only $11.99. Distilled by DSP-12 (Barton/Tom Moore) and bottled by DSP-24 (Glenmore, currently used by Sazerac for bottling and warehousing). So it's a Sazerac bottling, still 6 years old, still BIB. That's good news.

rocky480
03-06-2010, 12:19
OK, this thread brings up a question I have. I have a bottle of the gold/black lable VOB BIB which states on it "Bottled in Bond"

I haven't seen the new white label version, but it looks like where "Bottled in Bond" used to be, they're replaced with with "Hand Crafted"

So, is the new white labeled version BIB and has anybody compared the new and old labels to see if there's been any appreciable difference?

nblair
03-06-2010, 12:25
Mine is new white label, still BIB. On the neck it does say "Hand Crafted", but "Bottled in Bond" is in script above Very Old Barton. Haven't had the old to compare.

Josh
03-06-2010, 12:40
OK, this thread brings up a question I have. I have a bottle of the gold/black lable VOB BIB which states on it "Bottled in Bond"

I haven't seen the new white label version, but it looks like where "Bottled in Bond" used to be, they're replaced with with "Hand Crafted"

So, is the new white labeled version BIB and has anybody compared the new and old labels to see if there's been any appreciable difference?

They're both BiB. I don't think Saz has made any changes to any of the Barton bourbons. Or if they have, they haven't hit the market yet.

Josh
03-06-2010, 12:44
I wanted to bump this thread instead of starting a new one.

I picked up my first bottle of VOB BIB when I saw my local store got some in stock. I really like this stuff, I can't believe it's only $11.99. Distilled by DSP-12 (Barton/Tom Moore) and bottled by DSP-24 (Glenmore, currently used by Sazerac for bottling and warehousing). So it's a Sazerac bottling, still 6 years old, still BIB. That's good news.

Forgot to respond to this! The Glenmore bottling plant came with Tom Moore/Barton when Saz bought the brands. IIRC, Barton acquired it after Glenmore closed. They had one in Bardstown, but Glenmore was more modern.

rocky480
03-06-2010, 12:50
Mine is new white label, still BIB. On the neck it does say "Hand Crafted", but "Bottled in Bond" is in script above Very Old Barton. Haven't had the old to compare.

OK, good to know. Like I said, I haven't seen any of the new white label bottles, so I was going off what I could see online and I think I read it somewhere, but that was probably also based on the pictures where it doesn't look like BIB is on the label.

rocky480
03-06-2010, 12:52
They're both BiB. I don't think Saz has made any changes to any of the Barton bourbons. Or if they have, they haven't hit the market yet.

Barton isn't very widely avaialble around me and the prices are higher than the bargain that everybody here talks about, so I was wondering about the change. Like I wrote earlier, I haven't even seen the new labels in the market yet, so I suspect it's not a fast mover around here.

nblair
03-06-2010, 13:10
Forgot to respond to this! The Glenmore bottling plant came with Tom Moore/Barton when Saz bought the brands. IIRC, Barton acquired it after Glenmore closed. They had one in Bardstown, but Glenmore was more modern.

I see, so this still might not be a Sazerac release then.

rocky480
03-06-2010, 14:27
I see, so this still might not be a Sazerac release then.

That's the same bottle that I have at home. The new ones which I thought looked like they dropped the BIB designation is shown in this shot from the Sazerac web site, so I guess my question about BIB vs. non-BIB still stands.
http://www.bartonbrands.com/veryold/largevobprodshot.jpg

callmeox
03-06-2010, 14:29
Is it now time for a panic purchase of a case of VOB BiB?

Gillman
03-06-2010, 14:32
It does look different, unless the back label carries the BIB designation. Even if it doesn't, it may (possibly) meet the bonded requirement even though not stating so.

Barton's is excellent bourbon and still excellent value. I still have some 90. I like it on the rocks.

Gary

rocky480
03-06-2010, 14:43
Is it now time for a panic purchase of a case of VOB BiB?

This is along the lines of what I'm wondering, so I was trying to find out if anybody knew the story on the label change and did it mean that the VOBBIB I have recently become familiar with was also slated to change.

Unfortunately, VOBBIB is a little too spendy around me to justify a case purchase, but if I could get it at the prices everybody else posts, then I'd have probably already stashed a case.

SMOWK
03-06-2010, 15:11
Picked up a case last week for $104.88. A STEAL if you ask me.

Josh
03-06-2010, 15:54
That's the same bottle that I have at home. The new ones which I thought looked like they dropped the BIB designation is shown in this shot from the Sazerac web site, so I guess my question about BIB vs. non-BIB still stands.

IIRC, that pic has been floating around for a while. I think it's the result of photoshopping. If you see a 100 proof VOB that is NOT labeled BiB again, then take a picture and post it here. We need to know such things!

callmeox
03-06-2010, 16:22
The pic that Binnys has up for VOB 100 has the same "hand bottled" at the top of the label as the pic here.

Josh
03-06-2010, 16:28
The pic that Binnys has up for VOB 100 has the same "hand bottled" at the top of the label as the pic here.

I have a tattoo that says "hand bottled", although I'm not going to tell you where. But I assure you, I am still bottled in bond.

Vosgar
03-06-2010, 17:10
Picked up a case last week for $104.88. A STEAL if you ask me.

That is a steal! Did you buy it in a dark alley out of a guys trunk? Your post reminds me that I need to pickup some more. This is a very good bourbon for the price.

Hey Joe (Lost Pollito), I'll be stopping in this Monday on my way to Michigan. Can you get me a deal like this?:grin:

cowdery
03-06-2010, 19:44
There has been a rumor for years that Barton was going to drop the BIB, either drop it all together or keep a 100 proof expression, but not as a BIB. If there was ever any truth to it, it hasn't happened.

About all Buffalo Trace plans to do with VOB is distribute it more widely.

Buffalo Trace has bottling plants at all four of its facilities (yes, even Bowman), but the one in Owensboro at the old Glenmore distillery is the largest and most modern.

I don't see any reason to start hoarding VOB, but I always have some in inventory.

p_elliott
03-06-2010, 23:07
When we toured Barton's/Tom Moore in September we were told that Sazerac was going to leave every thing the same for at least 2 years. Take that for what it's worth.

jburlowski
03-07-2010, 05:21
Harlan Wheatley said to expect a packaging update for VOB soon.

ethangsmith
03-21-2010, 15:23
Anyone know where I can pick up VOB BIB in the Baltimore area??

silverfish
03-21-2010, 16:18
Anyone know where I can pick up VOB BIB in the Baltimore area??

In this thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6453&page=2), Chuck says the VOB isn't distributed
widely outside Kentucky. You might have luck with
an on-line seller - I recently had some shipped to NY.

ethangsmith
03-21-2010, 18:03
Darn. I'll have to do some checking around down in MD to see what I can find.

SMOWK
03-21-2010, 19:54
I've been able to get cases of the BIB from a local distributor here on the eastern shore. It's usually a little over $100. I believe it's coming from the Maryland Sazerac distributor.

cowdery
03-21-2010, 20:29
Historically, VOB was a Kentucky-Tennessee brand, with a little additional distribution in the South, and that was about it. A few years ago, Binny's got them to bring it to Chicago and they probably responded to customer requests in a few other markets, but it was far from national when Sazerac got it. They indicated then that they would expand distribution, making sure they didn't over-stress the supply. I would expect that has begun.

silverfish
09-12-2010, 15:02
Harlan Wheatley said to expect a packaging update for VOB soon.

In the latest issue of Malt Advocate (Fall, 2010) there is a piece titled
Ten Great American Whiskeys you may not know about (& Why) (http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/maltadvocate/2010fall/#/56), which
says that BT is "...holding off pushing the brand [VOB] until the new
packaging arrives." BTs Kris Comstock says VOB is only available in 3
states (KY, IN, TN) but perhaps the rest of us will be able to find it in
the near (?) future.

The 10 Great AW are shown here (http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/maltadvocate/2010fall/#/60). Actually this issue has quite a bit of
bourbon related content so go ahead and check the contents page.

SMOWK
09-12-2010, 15:40
BTs Kris Comstock says VOB is only available in 3
states (KY, IN, TN) but perhaps the rest of us will be able to find it in
the near (?) future.

I was able to persuade our local distributor here in MD to carry it. It now sits on the shelf of every store in my county, at $10.99/750ml.

silverfish
09-12-2010, 17:15
I was able to persuade our local distributor here in MD to carry it. It now sits on the shelf of every store in my county, at $10.99/750ml.

I didn't hit the edit button in time - the article does state that VOB is
available "...in minute amounts by special order in some other states."
so I guess you're one of the lucky "other" ones!

SMOWK
09-12-2010, 17:51
I didn't hit the edit button in time - the article does state that VOB is
available "...in minute amounts by special order in some other states."
so I guess you're one of the lucky "other" ones!

I'm pretty sure we're the only county in Maryland that carries it. At least from what I've seen.

cowdery
09-13-2010, 10:36
Binny's has it here in Chicago. Don't know about other stores in Illinois.

cigarnv
09-13-2010, 12:52
The ABC here in Va.will order it in by the case for you... about $11-12

unclebunk
09-13-2010, 13:28
Binny's has it here in Chicago. Don't know about other stores in Illinois.

I've seen it in several of the Binny's stores in Chicagoland but never in another liquor store.

OscarV
09-13-2010, 13:57
VOB 90prf here in MI.

Josh
09-13-2010, 14:27
VOB 90prf here in MI.

But good luck finding it...I know of only two places that carry it, one 20 minutes away and one 45 minutes away.

OscarV
09-13-2010, 14:29
But good luck finding it...I know of only two places that carry it, one 20 minutes away and one 45 minutes away.

A&L Wine Castle in Ann Arbor keeps it stocked, but I always seem to pass on it for other things they have.

Josh
09-13-2010, 14:39
A&L Wine Castle in Ann Arbor keeps it stocked, but I always seem to pass on it for other things they have.

That's the one that's 45 minutes away!:cool: Depending on traffic of course.

All things considered it's easier to just pick some up out when I'm in Kentucky, Indiana or Chicago.

The Boozer
09-15-2010, 08:46
And Josh is great for picking up a bottle or two for his good buddy - me!!:cool:

Josh
09-15-2010, 10:28
And Josh is great for picking up a bottle or two for his good buddy - me!!:cool:

Aw shucks...:blush:

Greg Davis did have a funny look on his face when he signed that bottle. Maybe it was the fact that a pregnant lady handed it to him!:lol:

T Comp
11-30-2010, 20:05
I thought I'd give this thread a bump just because it should never end due to the deliciousness at an insane price that VOB brings. After a couple weeks staying with the higher end of the current productions it feels like I'm back home in my own bed while sipping on some 100 proof DSP 12/24. On my team of budget bourbons, the Heaven Hill made BIB's are solid set up men but this is my closer. Too bad I lost Rittenhouse BIB to free agency, but what the hell, it was never a bourbon anyway.

Parkersback
12-01-2010, 03:58
I'm making a mental note of things I can't get in NYC to order from Binny's or somewhere else. So far, from all the love they get on this board, Very Old Barton BIB and Weller 12 are at the top of the list.

unclebunk
12-01-2010, 06:32
I thought I'd give this thread a bump just because it should never end due to the deliciousness at an insane price that VOB brings. After a couple weeks staying with the higher end of the current productions it feels like I'm back home in my own bed while sipping on some 100 proof DSP 12/24. On my team of budget bourbons, the Heaven Hill made BIB's are solid set up men but this is my closer. Too bad I lost Rittenhouse BIB to free agency, but what the hell, it was never a bourbon anyway.

Good points, Thad. I've got a half dozen VOB BIB's stashed away and an open bottle on the bar at all times. I've never once been disappointed drinking it, as it compares favorably to many other (higher priced) bourbons that I enjoy. And at $12 a bottle you can't go wrong.

BTW, can you or anyone else tell me how Heaven Hill Ultra Deluxe stacks up against HH BIB. The Deluxe is widely available around here but I've only just come across my first botlles of HH BIB and wondered if it's worth the plunge.

T Comp
12-01-2010, 07:54
BTW, can you or anyone else tell me how Heaven Hill Ultra Deluxe stacks up against HH BIB. The Deluxe is widely available around here but I've only just come across my first botlles of HH BIB and wondered if it's worth the plunge.

Never had the Deluxe but if it's the 80 proof version that Binny's carries I would take a pass. I prefer the HH BIB over their 90 proof "Old style" even though the "Old Style" is 6 years old and the BIB, I presume only 4. In Kentucky they can be bought under $10 (and sometimes $9) for 750 ml. I'll get you a BIB next trip down as I'm currently out. I give the slight edge to the Barton's 100 over the HH BIB because of its extra oomph of butter, banana, complexity and dryness, at least to me.

ggilbertva
12-01-2010, 11:11
I prefer the HH BIB over their 90 proof "Old style" even though the "Old Style" is 6 years old and the BIB, I presume only 4. In Kentucky they can be bought under $10 (and sometimes $9) for 750 ml. I'll get you a BIB next trip down as I'm currently out. I give the slight edge to the Barton's 100 over the HH BIB because of its extra oomph of butter, banana, complexity and dryness, at least to me.

VOB is one of my favorite BIB's. When in KY a while back I did pick up the Heaven Hill BIB 6 yr old, they also have the standard 4 year old which I presume would be the same as the EW BIB (white label).

unclebunk
12-01-2010, 12:06
Never had the Deluxe but if it's the 80 proof version that Binny's carries I would take a pass. I prefer the HH BIB over their 90 proof "Old style" even though the "Old Style" is 6 years old and the BIB, I presume only 4. In Kentucky they can be bought under $10 (and sometimes $9) for 750 ml. I'll get you a BIB next trip down as I'm currently out. I give the slight edge to the Barton's 100 over the HH BIB because of its extra oomph of butter, banana, complexity and dryness, at least to me.

You're right, Thad. I double-checked today at a local liquor store and the Deluxe is 80 proof, so of little interest to me. Don't know why they don't send the HH BIB up this way but I may grab a bottle the next time I'm in the South Loop Binny's which is the only place I've ever seen it (and it's fairly new to them as well). I also saw JTS Brown for the first time at their store but it wasn't the BIB so I passed on it. Thanks for the offer to grab me a bottle too but I'll get one when I hit Binny's next time.

flintlock
12-01-2010, 16:38
I just bought my first bottle of the 100 proof BIB today and am sipping it now. It's amazing, to my young palate. It has the salty, buttery delciousness that I got with Bulleit (I know - different animal), and the most wonderful, lingering finish. I can't believe this is available at this price. The shelf was fairly groaning, literally bending under the weight of VOB bottles. I'm going to relieve them of a good bit of that weight this year. This is going to be hoarded.

Hell, I may rent out storage.

cowdery
12-01-2010, 19:36
I love VOB BIB and try never to be without it. It's not the best bourbon but arguably it is the best value. (I'd put JTS Brown BIB right up there for best value. Close call.) I used to always stock up in Kentucky but now Binny's has it, albeit not in handles. Still, God bless Binny's. And God bless VOB BIB.

For those who have never been, it's quite remarkable at a Liquor Barn or any other large liquor store in Louisville, to see the VOB section of a size comparable to the Jack Daniel's and Jim Beam sections. I've seen the same thing in other parts of Kentucky too but I can't speak for the whole state.

The whole idea of such an obscure brand being so popular in the place that arguably knows bourbon better than any other would seem to be an untapped opportunity for any marketer, except it would be very un-BT to market the way you would need to, but I think you could turn VOB into a national brand that would, at least, give #3 Evan Williams black a run for its money.

Even the dull, old fashioned packaging could be used as a plus.

silverfish
12-02-2010, 08:17
Nice bump!

I'm so glad Binny's ships to NY. Whenever I order, I always try'n work it
so I have room for a bottle or two of the BIB in the order. It's nice to be
able to obtain something that isn't available here and at such a reasonable
price even with ship costs.

OscarV
12-02-2010, 12:47
The shelf was fairly groaning, literally bending under the weight of VOB bottles. I'm going to relieve them of a good bit of that weight this year. This is going to be hoarded.

Hell, I may rent out storage.

Dude, relax don't do it, it'll always be around and in the meantime your palate will mature and you'll be asking yourself, "why do I have all this VOB bunkered.?"
You can thank me later.

DeanSheen
12-02-2010, 13:05
Dude, relax don't do it, it'll always be around and in the meantime your palate will mature and you'll be asking yourself, "why do I have all this VOB bunkered.?"
You can thank me later.

That was good. Funniest thing I read on the board today.

You will thank him later.

cowdery
12-02-2010, 13:21
Reminds me of an old blues lyric: "You never miss your water until the well runs dry."

Josh
12-02-2010, 13:29
You can thank me later.

HERESY! Stone him! Unless he's already stoned of course...

DeanSheen
12-02-2010, 13:30
HERESY! Stone him! Unless he's already stoned of course...

It's 4:20 somewhere.

OscarV
12-02-2010, 13:38
It's 4:20 somewhere.

Always is.

callmeox
12-02-2010, 13:43
You can thank me later.

It was nice to learn here that I have an immature palate. Very cool.

OscarV
12-02-2010, 13:53
It was nice to learn here that I have an immature palate. Very cool.

Damn, I F'ed up, sorry Man, I swear on a stack of King James sneakers that I wasn't thinkin' 'bout you when I posted that.

jburlowski
12-02-2010, 14:26
Even the dull, old fashioned packaging could be used as a plus.

I thought BT has said that they plan on "updating" the VOB packaging.

Josh
12-02-2010, 15:47
I thought BT has said that they plan on "updating" the VOB packaging.

Yup, it was mentioned in the bargain bourbon article in the last MA.

cowdery
12-02-2010, 16:03

It will not be the first time a producer didn't follow my marketing advice.

unclebunk
12-02-2010, 16:05

Should we start hoarding "old" label VOB now?:slappin:

Josh
12-02-2010, 16:07
It will not be the first time a producer didn't follow my marketing advice.

Somehow I don't think it will be the last either...

Should we start hoarding "old" label VOB now?:slappin:

I'm way ahead of ya!:lol:

flintlock
12-04-2010, 13:53
You can thank me later.

Ha - I see your point, but this is good bourbon, and along with EW white label BIB, is a sensational bargain. A couple of cases of each are going in my stash.

SMOWK
12-04-2010, 15:36
A couple of cases of each are going in my stash.

I finished my 48th bottle of 2010 a few weeks ago. Where does it go? In other words, don't think that a couple of cases is going to last very long.

OscarV
12-04-2010, 15:42
Ha - I see your point, but this is good bourbon,

I don't think so, quality wise as far as ingrediants and the production and aging, yes.
But it just ain't got the taste.
Are you letting the low low price influence you?
It happens to the best of us.

callmeox
12-04-2010, 15:45
I don't think so, quality wise as far as ingrediants and the production and aging, yes.
But it just ain't got the taste.
Are you letting the low low price influence you?
It happens to the best of us.

I never mention price when I sample things out to friends or do tastings and VOB BiB always gets high marks.

OscarV
12-04-2010, 15:52
I never mention price when I sample things out to friends or do tastings and VOB BiB always gets high marks.

I'm sure that is true because you said so.
I was only speaking of what I find it to be, not others.
I don't like VOB.

scratchline
12-04-2010, 18:20
I have a VOB BIB from the mid-90's with no age statement. What's interesting about this label is they went to an age statement when many brands have done the opposite.

-Mike

cowdery
12-04-2010, 19:20
One thing I like about VOB is that it reminds me of the way lots of bourbons tasted years ago but few do now. That isn't necessarily a good flavor, objectively, I just happen to like it, but for what it is.

And, if you're a value-oriented, it's pretty hard to beat.

callmeox
12-04-2010, 20:38
I don't like VOB.

I think you have made that plainly obvious.

:deadhorse:

:grin:

Josh
12-05-2010, 03:39
I like it better than Lot B. :grin:

OscarV
12-05-2010, 04:11
I think you have made that plainly obvious.

:deadhorse:

:grin:

Ok, I'll shut up.:lol:

As a matter of fact a bottle of Lot B is in the on-deck-circle in my rotation, maybe I'll get to it later this week.
You and Scott are welcome if you want to open it before then.

callmeox
12-05-2010, 06:47
Ok, I'll shut up.:lol:

As a matter of fact a bottle of Lot B is in the on-deck-circle in my rotation, maybe I'll get to it later this week.
You and Scott are welcome if you want to open it before then.

I wish I could take you up on the offer, but there's too much going on to justify the trip north.

unclebunk
12-05-2010, 10:24

Me too, crazy as that sounds!

smokinjoe
12-08-2010, 13:49
I was in KY today, and they have indeed changed the packaging on the VOB BIB. The "newer" Weller style bottle.

cowdery
12-08-2010, 14:05
I was in KY today, and they have indeed changed the packaging on the VOB BIB. The "newer" Weller style bottle.

Just the BIB? What about the price?

smokinjoe
12-09-2010, 07:53
All that I saw was the BIB. He said he just got them in on Monday. The other proofs were in the old style bottles. The pricing was higher than what I'm used to seeing it, but this store was higher priced in general (BT 750ml @ $25+; and other brands similarly priced). The BIB was $16-$17. Yeah, I bought it. :crazy: Suckaaaaah!!!

BTW, the label design appears to be the same, except the dimensions are different to fit the bottle. But, unlike the Wellers, it is not a clear label. It's the regular paper/metalized paper label.

SMOWK
12-09-2010, 08:01
All that I saw was the BIB. He said he just got them in on Monday. The other proofs were in the old style bottles. The pricing was higher than what I'm used to seeing it, but this store was higher priced in general (BT 750ml @ $25+; and other brands similarly priced). The BIB was $16-$17. Yeah, I bought it. :crazy: Suckaaaaah!!!

BTW, the label design appears to be the same, except the dimensions are different to fit the bottle. But, unlike the Wellers, it is not a clear label. It's the regular paper/metalized paper label.

If you've got it, let's see a picture.

smokinjoe
12-09-2010, 08:21
If you've got it, let's see a picture.

Uh...I don't know how. But, now's a great time to learn! If you could PM me on how to do that, I'll post it up.
Thanks.

smokinjoe
12-09-2010, 16:14
Well my very smart 12 year old daughter taught me how to do it. She teaches me EVERYTHING electronical. I don't know any of it - I'm dumb when it comes to that kind of stuff ;) Also know as, she just did everything and I sat and watched.

Can you tell that she wrote that? :D Thank you, sweetie! :kiss:

unclebunk
12-09-2010, 17:03
Whereas I do not like what happened to OWA when they "modernized" the bottle, I actually don't mind this because they kept the paper label which retains some of the original look of VOB.

flintlock
12-09-2010, 19:11
I much prefer this bottle. I'm equivocal on the label - looks a little too modern for my tastes (ORVW 10/107 gets my vote for Best Label Evah...) but this bottle is a distinct improvement.

If anyone is interested in my VOB in the original classic bottles, from the good old days (last week), I'll be selling them for $75 a piece. Line forms here... :lol:

cowdery
12-09-2010, 20:06
It's essentially the old label. I don't hate it.

SMOWK
12-09-2010, 20:12
Well my very smart 12 year old daughter taught me how to do it. She teaches me EVERYTHING electronical. I don't know any of it - I'm dumb when it comes to that kind of stuff ;) Also know as, she just did everything and I sat and watched.

Can you tell that she wrote that? :D Thank you, sweetie! :kiss:

Glad I could help. :D I promise I'm smarter than a 12 year old.